What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best (1 Viewer)

War Eagle

Footballguy
I've been offered Best in a trade and looking for the latest. 2nd concussion of the year...does it keep him out all season? Does he come back after the bye? Does he come back after the bye and last 2 weeks?

Just searching for the latest news, thanks

No one knows, but most expect him back next week. You won't find much insight out there, as they are on a bye and don't need to report anything. He did miss the bye week practice however.

I traded him and Little for Roddy White today. I think he will be back, but probably used sparingly.

Even if he comes back his chance of getting another concussion is extremely high. I would steer clear.

This is really a disguised assistant coach post, btw.

'whodeywhodey said:
Even if he comes back his chance of getting another concussion is extremely high. I would steer clear.This is really a disguised assistant coach post, btw.
Disagree, previous concussions do not make it easier for a player to get a new concussion. This is not like a hammy or acl or something. Each concussion is a new injury and has nothing whatsoever to do with the previous concussion. I will say this though, If he gets another concussion this season, he is done for the year and possibly will have to call it quits from football because with each new concussion your chances of brain damage increase.

'whodeywhodey said:
Not really. The post is asking what people think he will do the rest of the year. There is no mention of comparing to specific players or whatever. If the SP can't have posts about how we expect from NFL players what is left?As an owner I am trying to figure out when if it is time to dump. I am holding for now and want to see what happens the week after the bye.

'whodeywhodey said:
Not really. The post is asking what people think he will do the rest of the year. There is no mention of comparing to specific players or whatever. If the SP can't have posts about how we expect from NFL players what is left?As an owner I am trying to figure out when if it is time to dump. I am holding for now and want to see what happens the week after the bye.
Personally, I am holding Best for now but you can make the argument for dropping him if he doesn't at least practice after the bye week.

'whodeywhodey said:
Even if he comes back his chance of getting another concussion is extremely high. I would steer clear.

Disagree, previous concussions do not make it easier for a player to get a new concussion. This is not like a hammy or acl or something. Each concussion is a new injury and has nothing whatsoever to do with the previous concussion. I will say this though, If he gets another concussion this season, he is done for the year and possibly will have to call it quits from football because with each new concussion your chances of brain damage increase.
These contradict each otherYou're completely wrong that previous concussions do not make it easier for a player to get a new concussion.

Look at Fact #3 on Sport Concussions

I also did a research paper regarding concussions. Multiple concussion athletes experience: lower memory scores, 6 times more likely to develop amnesia, 8 times more likely to develop mental disturbances(the time increases with each concussion), lower reaction skills, etc.

If you want to live in a bubble that Jahvid Best will be fine because you're an owner of him, go ahead. I sold him long ago, because of research.

From Rotoworld today:

Lions worked out free agents RB Kevin Smith and OG Leonard Davis.It's the first update we've had on Smith since a late August workout for the Patriots, who were the only team known to have had him in for a visit since the end of the lockout. Perhaps the Lions will bring him back if Jahvid Best (concussion) isn't ready to return in Week 10.

Best is going to be at a Grand Opening of a D icks Sporting Good store tommorow. I am going there to pick up a few things. I will evaluate him in person and report my findings.

Saturday, for the first 100 customers through the door, Crocs will be giving away a free pair of adult Crocs (limit one per person and must be 18 years or older) and Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best will be onsite from 3PM–5PM*. Selected as the 30th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, Best ran for 555 yards and scored four touchdowns in 15 games his rookie year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I received a trade offer for him, I was convinced he would be back. Now that I am no longer an owner and just a spectator, I honestly think that he will be shut down for the season. He's been out for three weeks with little to no information coming out. I think the team is holding out hope, but if his headaches just started getting better last week, I think they may shut him down for their future investment rather than risking the guys entire career.

Best is going to be at a Grand Opening of a D icks Sporting Good store tommorow. I am going there to pick up a few things. I will evaluate him in person and report my findings.

Saturday, for the first 100 customers through the door, Crocs will be giving away a free pair of adult Crocs (limit one per person and must be 18 years or older) and Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best will be onsite from 3PM–5PM*. Selected as the 30th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, Best ran for 555 yards and scored four touchdowns in 15 games his rookie year.
The fact that he is actually showing up for this is actually a good sign.

:popcorn: if he doesn't get lost on the way its a good sign.

Are you going to bump him on the head a few times?

'whodeywhodey said:

These contradict each otherYou're completely wrong that previous concussions do not make it easier for a player to get a new concussion.

I also did a research paper regarding concussions. Multiple concussion athletes experience: lower memory scores, 6 times more likely to develop amnesia, 8 times more likely to develop mental disturbances(the time increases with each concussion), lower reaction skills, etc.

If you want to live in a bubble that Jahvid Best will be fine because you're an owner of him, go ahead. I sold him long ago, because of research.
First, the Center for Brain Health is not an independent research group. It is not the foremost authority on concussions. It appears to come from a private practicing psychologist, who states that she has a background in neuropsychology. Which is fine. I'm a neuropsychologist, myself, and we often disagree with each other. But, the fact remains, this is not a place I would point to and say, "see, it says it right here..."Second, there is no definitive evidence to date that incidence of a concussion increases your risk for future concussions. Each concussion is unique, but once the symptoms of the first concussion resolve, there is physiologic rationale or any good data that suggest that you will be more prone to the next one. An individual might be more prone to concussions in the first place. But, one resolved concussion does not beget a new concussion.

Sounds good let us know what you got out of him.

'whodeywhodey said:

First, the Center for Brain Health is not an independent research group. It is not the foremost authority on concussions. It appears to come from a private practicing psychologist, who states that she has a background in neuropsychology. Which is fine. I'm a neuropsychologist, myself, and we often disagree with each other. But, the fact remains, this is not a place I would point to and say, "see, it says it right here..."Second, there is no definitive evidence to date that incidence of a concussion increases your risk for future concussions. Each concussion is unique, but once the symptoms of the first concussion resolve, there is physiologic rationale or any good data that suggest that you will be more prone to the next one. An individual might be more prone to concussions in the first place. But, one resolved concussion does not beget a new concussion.
1) I just googled it and that's the first one I looked at. 2) See Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Austin Collie, and Jahvid Best. I'd love some evidence against it. Until then I will go by the research articles/doctors/and history of NFL players as proof.

2) See Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Austin Collie, and Jahvid Best. I'd love some evidence against it. Until then I will go by the research articles/doctors/and history of NFL players as proof.
So you are basing your opinion off 4 guys who have had multiple concussions as opposed to the thousands of guys who have had 1?

'whodeywhodey said:

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

'whodeywhodey said:

Anatomy and physiology are my main areas of study, not much on the brain. However, the rationale that re-injury is not increased once a brain injury has recovered seems to go against every other type of injury in the body.

'whodeywhodey said:

Does this mean that some people have smaller brains or what? Seriously, what would cause someone to be more prone to concussions? Will we get to the point when a player drops down the draft board because he has a big head? I mean if they have a massive dome then there has to be more room for the brain to smash into the skull, right?

Will do, I will perform a baseline test on Best.

I have a small flashlight that I am taking with me..when he is signing I am going to flash it in his eyes to check for light sensitivity. I also have some flash cards to do simple math and see how he responds.

'whodeywhodey said:

Are there any data on whether a history of concussion is related to the severity of future concussions?

Are you going to bump him on the head a few times?
Fantasy football equivalent of kicking the tires.Personally, I think he's probably done. This has a Sidney Crosby kind of vibe to it, only Best has had more concussions. And while I think it is a good sign for his health that he is going to this event, I don't think it's a good sign for football purposes that it's a good sign.

Will do,

I have a small flashlight that I am taking with me..when he is signing I am going to flash it in his eyes to check for light sensitivity. I also have some flash cards to do simple math and see how he responds.
Do me a favor and accidentally drop something some what light, maybe like a small hardcover book or something, on his head. I'm not so worried about him playing but instead whether he can last the entire game. TIA

Will do, I will perform a baseline test on Best.

Just when you get up to him say I'm your biggest fan at the top of your lungs and see if he winces at all! :D

2) See Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Austin Collie, and Jahvid Best. I'd love some evidence against it. Until then I will go by the research articles/doctors/and history of NFL players as proof.
So you are basing your opinion off 4 guys who have had multiple concussions as opposed to the thousands of guys who have had 1?
Jahvid Best had at least 2 in college and at least 2 more in the NFL

I'm a medical student, so take this with what you will. While there may not be definitive evidence that a primary concussion will subsequently lead to another one, there are many factors worth considering with Best's injury. More than anything, you worry about the SUBSEQUENT damage to the brain that multiple concussions can bring. Many times an initial concussive symptom will linger and you get what is called a post concussive syndrome and if rushed back too quickly-- Second Impact Syndrome (which is something no one wants). Sometimes it takes months to ensure one has fully recovered from a concussion. Recent evidence has pointed to the fact that even one concussion maybe permanently damaging to the brain. While no study may support the idea of a primary concussion making one susceptible to a second one, you've got believe that at a cellular level it makes sense--especially with the idea that concussion are actually a form of diffuse axonal damage w/ excess ca and ROS (See coma).

On an anatomical level though, we often see "repeat" offenders in sport. Why? Perhaps their body cannot absorb sheer forces as well as others--their build doesn't allow them too (neck musculature, facial, spine, etc).

So until Best passes all his concussion tests (and that maybe tomorrow or 5 weeks from now), I'd be worried about thinking he's a definite return to the line up.

Actually only 1 (documented and truly epic) in college. Doesn't necessarily diminish your anecdote. And we can't disassociate correlation from causation. Is best's anatomy or playing style such that he is more prone to concussions than the average nfl player? Or does each concussion make the next successive one more likely? Either way he becomes a risky hold in FF, and we don't really care about how we got here, just the fact that we are here.

1) I just googled it and that's the first one I looked at. 2) See Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Austin Collie, and Jahvid Best. I'd love some evidence against it. Until then I will go by the research articles/doctors/and history of NFL players as proof.
First of all, I sincerely doubt you can find anything in the literature that has established that 1 concussion predisposes you to another (unless it's an unresolved concussion). Can you rule out the possibility that they are simply predisposed to having concussions in the first place?Until then, I'll hinge my position on what the research says, in addition to the expertise of Robert Stern (BU Medical Center) who is one of the world's leading experts in concussion research and who, oh by the way, is one of the leading figureheads in generating research with the NFL players on concussion (and chronic traumatic encephalopathy). I happened to attend a conference just about a week ago on brain trauma and athletes and asked him during a break this very question. If anyone in the world would know about this issue, it's him. And, he unequivocally said, no...there simply is no evidence or known physiological reason why would expect a resolved concussion to predispose you to having another one. Absolutely none. Not from the rodent data, not from the known effects of concussions in humans. Nothing suggests this. The fact that folks have multiple concussions and why they do is interesting. But, at this point, we do not have anything to suggest that one begets another.

'whodeywhodey said:

Are there any data on whether a history of concussion is related to the severity of future concussions?
As you can imagine, the literature is riddled with issues, not the least of which is you can't quantify the severity of a concussion by an MRI or CT or any other means except self report. Each concussion is unique. That said, the general consensus seems to be that, by the 4th one, they tend to get more severe. Prior to that, no indication that a prior concussion makes subsequent ones more severe.

:popcorn: if he doesn't get lost on the way its a good sign.
:D

Actually only 1 (documented and truly epic) in college. Doesn't necessarily diminish your anecdote. And we can't disassociate correlation from causation. Is best's anatomy or playing style such that he is more prone to concussions than the average nfl player? Or does each concussion make the next successive one more likely? Either way he becomes a risky hold in FF, and we don't really care about how we got here, just the fact that we are here.
Don't forget that part of the reason the "Best won't play again this year" talk began after his most recent concussion was that Best's family thinks he's had THREE concussions this season...one in preseason and two in a three-week span ending with his most recent one.This is about the 20th Best-concussion thread (does anyone moderate the Shark Pool anymore??). Jene Bramel has given some outstanding insights as part of this earlier thread, especially on page 5: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=619131&st=200

Don't forget that part of the reason the "Best won't play again this year" talk began after his most recent concussion was that Best's family thinks he's had THREE concussions this season...one in preseason and two in a three-week span ending with his most recent one.This is about the 20th Best-concussion thread (does anyone moderate the Shark Pool anymore??). Jene Bramel has given some outstanding insights as part of this earlier thread, especially on page 5: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=619131&st=200
If this is, indeed, his 3rd of the season, they absolutely should shut him down for the rest of the year.And, for his life's sake, he should start entertaining a different career.

:football:

Grades of Concussion

There are different levels of concussions defined to understand the severity of it. These have been described into five grades.

1.The mildest of all is Grade 1, symptoms of which include confusion, though not severe.

2.Grade 2 is basically anterograde amnesia, which lasts less than five minutes along with confusion.

3.Grade 3 is retrograde amnesia and unconsciousness, lasting less than five minutes.

4.Grade 4 is one in which all the above symptoms are seen as well as unconsciousness for less than five minutes.

5.Grade 5 is same as grade IV but in this the unconsciousness lasts longer than ten minutes.

The American Academy of Neurology (ANN) guidelines makes it clear that permanent brain injury can occur with either Grade 2 or Grade 3 concussion. Thus, it is clear that subtle brain injury is bound to have a severe consequence if the symptoms of the concussion continue for more than 15 minutes.

Concussion Recovery Time

Grade 1 concussion recovery time is comparatively less as compared to the other levels or grades of concussion. Mild concussion recovery time is lees as it mainly involves only confusion. It involves no loss of consciousness, but then it causes a confused state of mind, disorientation, and inability to focus, which gets resolved within about 15 minutes. For Grade 2 concussion recovery time, the symptoms remain the same and it can be restored in slightly more than 15 minutes. The concussion recovery period for a Grade III concussion is much more, as it includes a loss of consciousness.

Irrespective of the level of the concussion, it is advisable to take rest for few days, both physically and mentally. Never indulge in any physical activity after you've had a concussion. If you're a gym freak you need to bid adieu to your gym for few weeks until your doctor recommends to start again. Having said that, one needs to take rest mentally too, do not stress you brain too much, let it relax. By this I mean that no concentration activity, which means no computer, no video games, no playing chess, sudoku, mensa puzzle et al. Any type of cognitive activity should be strictly avoided, as it will only help your brain rest. Rest is by far the most effective concussion treatment one can get, as it is crucial for the healing process. It is also highly advisable to see a doctor in any case of concussion.

After a concussion, the brain needs time to heal. It is of utmost importance to wait until all concussion signs have been cleared off. The amount of time someone needs to recover depends on how long the symptoms last. It is highly recommended to consult your doctor before you even think of resuming work. A doctor will monitor the person closely to make sure everything is perfect. This time can differ from patient to patient, and largely depends on the severity of the concussion. It is essential to follow these concussion recovery guidelines to completely recover. Though the signs and symptoms might abate in a few hours, the brain requires time to heal, and until the brain heals completely, risk of brain damage is possible.

It is crucial to take good care of yourself after a concussion. If you happen to re-injure your brain during the time of healing, the concussion recovery time will extend considerably. Each time a person has a concussion, it does additional damage. Remember to take utmost care of yourself during this period, as it would be hazardous getting concussions repeatedly. It would double the risk of a brain injury every time you get a concussion. Concussion prevention is most commonest precaution we can take for our well-being. The best you can do is take care of your brain and let it take care of you in return.

By Aakash Singh

Last Updated: 9/28/2011

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/concussion-recovery-time.html

All I know is I had a concussion about 6 years ago and it was one of the worst 2 months I've had in my life. I had a 2 month long migraine then I started to get better SLOWLY. My wife says that I wasn't completely normal again for 6 to 7 months. and I actually don't remember much from that time. The doctor told me I had post concussion syndrome, or something like that. I honestly don't see how someone can have one of those and be able to go back to anything close to a normal life within a few weeks. Now maybe mine was just a very severe one. I do know that I haven't had another concussion since but I'm not slamming into other people on a weekly basis either.

He had a hit against Maryland where he was absolutely crushed. People don't remember that one as much as the Oregon St one, but Best was crawling around after the play like he didn't even know he was human.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCO0sRPJEZ8

He had a hit against Maryland where he was absolutely crushed. People don't remember that one as much as the Oregon St one, but Best was crawling around after the play like he didn't even know he was human.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCO0sRPJEZ8
I honestly think Best is one more hit away from being done as a football player. This one still has to have some effect on his brain. Looks like he was doing the "Like Bernie" dance.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzKKUJ5eRxo&feature=related

Sigh. I don't even know where to begin with this.This is a very solid source of quick nuggets of info: Zurich Conference Guidelines.

As it regards Best, he may becoming asymptomatic as the days and weeks progress, but we just don't know the repeated effects of concussive and subconcussive blows to the head. What is concerning long term for him is that 14 of the 15 brains donated by NFL players over the past 3 years (e.g., Duerson, Mike Webster, John Grimsley, and others) have shown evidence of abnormal tau deposits in their brains, indicative if chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Even if the next 85 consecutive brains come in clean, 14% would still be an alarming number. Best is at the stage right now with his documented history of being at serious risk for long term effects. Hopefully, the Lions exercise serious caution in letting him return to play.

So you are saying that the fact that 1 guy has had multiple concussions proves that people who have had a concussion are more likely to have another one.I will ask again. What about the thousands of folks who have had 1 concussion. Why have they not experienced more concussions like Best?

So you are saying that the fact that 1 guy has had multiple concussions proves that people who have had a concussion are more likely to have another one.I will ask again. What about the thousands of folks who have had 1 concussion. Why have they not experienced more concussions like Best?
He's implying even more than that. That somehow because you get a concussion, this neurologic event predisposes you (i.e., leaves you more vulnerable) to having future concussions.But, all we really can say at this point based on the research is that people who have a concussion are more likely to have future concussions. There are several possible reasons why that might be, not the least of which includes risky behaviors, but also genetic predispositions, skull/brain architecture, and many other possibilities. None of which have anything to do with permanent changes in the brain caused by the concussion that predispose us to future ones.

First of all, I sincerely doubt you can find anything in the literature that has established that 1 concussion predisposes you to another (unless it's an unresolved concussion). Can you rule out the possibility that they are simply predisposed to having concussions in the first place?Until then, I'll hinge my position on what the research says, in addition to the expertise of Robert Stern (BU Medical Center) who is one of the world's leading experts in concussion research and who, oh by the way, is one of the leading figureheads in generating research with the NFL players on concussion (and chronic traumatic encephalopathy). I happened to attend a conference just about a week ago on brain trauma and athletes and asked him during a break this very question. If anyone in the world would know about this issue, it's him. And, he unequivocally said, no...there simply is no evidence or known physiological reason why would expect a resolved concussion to predispose you to having another one. Absolutely none. Not from the rodent data, not from the known effects of concussions in humans. Nothing suggests this. The fact that folks have multiple concussions and why they do is interesting. But, at this point, we do not have anything to suggest that one begets another.
Then please explain why Troy Aikman and Steve Young were getting concussion after concussion and it ended their careers? According to you, they can just play again because they have the same probability of getting a concussion than someone who has never had one before.What about Austin Collie who had a severe concussion early in the year last year, then the first game back from that injury has another severe concussion. Must've been the worst luck ever!!!How about Best have potentially 3 concussions already this season after multiple in college, these guys must just have bad luck :rolleyes:

Then please explain why Troy Aikman and Steve Young were getting concussion after concussion and it ended their careers? According to you, they can just play again because they have the same probability of getting a concussion than someone who has never had one before.What about Austin Collie who had a severe concussion early in the year last year, then the first game back from that injury has another severe concussion. Must've been the worst luck ever!!!How about Best have potentially 3 concussions already this season after multiple in college, these guys must just have bad luck :rolleyes:
Has the thought occurred to you that some people...some brains...might be more vulnerable to concussions even before sustaining a first blow to the head? I never said or implied those guys should get right back in there. In fact, I feel just the opposite. But, it's not because I think that they had a concussion, their brains are NOW susceptible to new concussions.

Has the thought occurred to you that some people...some brains...might be more vulnerable to concussions even before sustaining a first blow to the head? I never said or implied those guys should get right back in there. In fact, I feel just the opposite. But, it's not because I think that they had a concussion, their brains are NOW susceptible to new concussions.
It has occurred to me and I believe it's possible. But you don't think it's possible that one concussion leads to another. Or that having multiple concussions leads to a higher chance of another concussion.Concussions are a new topic without a ton of research, when compared to the rest the body. All I can base it off of is what i've read/researched + football players past results. If we ignore the past, we are in denial IMO.

It has occurred to me and I believe it's possible. But you don't think it's possible that one concussion leads to another. Or that having multiple concussions leads to a higher chance of another concussion.Concussions are a new topic without a ton of research, when compared to the rest the body. All I can base it off of is what i've read/researched + football players past results. If we ignore the past, we are in denial IMO.
It's a messy area for sure. But, the research does not support your position. The known neuroanatomy and metabolic sequelae resulting from concussions do not support your position. The rodent models do not support your position. The football players of the past do not support your position either. You are confusing correlation with causation. You can choose to believe whatever you would like, but just know that this position you are staking ground on is not supported by the research and is not in line with Bob Stern and Robert Cantu and Anne Mckee and countless other experts in neuroscience who posit that the neural cascade of effects of concussion once resolved...are resolved.

I thought it was interesting that the latest rotoworld report from three days ago says

Javhid Best confirmed via his Twitter page that he's "taking everything one day at a time."

Makes it sound like he is still struggling as of recently.

But I went to his twitter and he tweeted that on Oct 19th...2 1/2 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread