What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Dynasty rankings (1 Viewer)

Dragon1952

Footballguy
Do you suppose we'll ever get another dynasty rankings this year? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
By far the worst part of FBG service....no excuse. If I may make a suggestion...charge us a dollar more a year and provide 4 Dyansty updates during the season....worth the money to fbg and the users

By far the worst part of FBG service....no excuse. If I may make a suggestion...charge us a dollar more a year and provide 4 Dyansty updates during the season....worth the money to fbg and the users
Next year I wont be taking care of my son at home as he'll be starting preschool. I promise that I'll do at least 4 dynasty rankings updates with accompanying articles... :thumbup:

Next year I wont be taking care of my son at home as he'll be starting preschool. I promise that I'll do at least 4 dynasty rankings updates with accompanying articles... :thumbup:
Maybe there is potential for a FBG's wisdom of the crowds dynasty rankings. Each subscriber can adjust the individual player rankings and it could average out the scores (similar to the way the current dynasty rankings are produced).Having an average over hundreds of subscribers would certainly be interesting, especially if details such as highest and lowest ranking were included for each player. :thumbup:

Where do we send the dollar???

Maybe there is potential for a FBG's wisdom of the crowds dynasty rankings. Each subscriber can adjust the individual player rankings and it could average out the scores (similar to the way the current dynasty rankings are produced).Having an average over hundreds of subscribers would certainly be interesting, especially if details such as highest and lowest ranking were included for each player. :thumbup:
Not a bad idea. Chances are anyone who would take the time to submit their rankings will be knowledgeable enough to provide value. In general it does seem silly FBGs is underserving what seems to be the fastest growing segment of fantasy football.

'the turnip said:
FBG epic fail. Any other sites out there with at least somewhat current rankings that you can recommend?
What's wrong? You no longer think Chris Johnson is the #1 dynasty player and Fred Jackson isn't a top 30 RB?Trade deadlines are rapidly approaching and there's really nothing reliable to refer to.

I'd like to see this. Whether it be open all users or just subscribers, I'd be fine with either. Also I think its kind of crazy how little dynasty content comes out of this site considering how popular the format is now

Maybe there is potential for a FBG's wisdom of the crowds dynasty rankings. Each subscriber can adjust the individual player rankings and it could average out the scores (similar to the way the current dynasty rankings are produced).Having an average over hundreds of subscribers would certainly be interesting, especially if details such as highest and lowest ranking were included for each player.

:thumbup:
I'd like to see this. Whether it be open all users or just subscribers, I'd be fine with either. Also I think its kind of crazy how little dynasty content comes out of this site considering how popular the format is now
If it really was more popular you would see more content. It was mentioned in some thread (by Joe I think) earlier this year - that despite the predominance of dynasty posters in the off-season, they only represent about 10% of the traffic here once the regular season kicks off. And, by the way, you are preaching to the choir, as I play exclusively in dynasty leagues - but apparently there is not enough actual demand to have some staff member exclusively cover this category of fantasy football year-round.

"but apparently there is not enough actual demand to have some staff member exclusively cover this category of fantasy football year-round."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who said anything about a full time staff member exclusively covering this category? That was a bit of a leap don't you think?

We're simply asking for an UPDATE or two, to the existing rankings no less - around this time of year, when many leagues have their trade deadline. That would seem to be worlds apart from what you're talking about. No one is suggesting they add another paid staff member.

Jeez, get off our side if that's how you're going to spin it. (said in jest)

Even if their paying membership is composed of only 5% dynasty league players, that wouldn't merit an occasional update?

despite the predominance of dynasty posters in the off-season, they only represent about 10% of the traffic here once the regular season kicks off.
:rolleyes:Did a headcount myself and the number is closer to 52%.
I didn't come up with those figures, it was provided by someone connected with this site (I think it was Joe but I could be wrong and can't remember the thread title) when a complaint was lodged earlier in the year as to why we don't see more dynasty coverage. The people in dynasty leagues are quite vocal on this board and disproportinately post in respect to the number of people who are here in connection with redraft leagues. And as I mentioned earlier, I play exclusively in dynasty leagues so it is not like I don't want to see more dynasty coverage - I am just pointing out the realities of the situation.

"And as I mentioned earlier, I play exclusively in dynasty leagues so it is not like I don't want to see more dynasty coverage - I am just pointing out the realities of the situation."

I don't think that's an accurate statement. You took a request that was made for an update to the dynasty rankings and made it sound like we were asking for a full time dynasty staffer. My concern is that if FBG management thinks the dyanasty crowd will only be satisfied with, or feels we are entitled to a full time person - our requests will be summarily dismissed as unreasonable.

We're not asking for the moon or a king's ransom - just a nibble of cheese or a few pence.

"And as I mentioned earlier, I play exclusively in dynasty leagues so it is not like I don't want to see more dynasty coverage - I am just pointing out the realities of the situation." I don't think that's an accurate statement. You took a request that was made for an update to the dynasty rankings and made it sound like we were asking for a full time dynasty staffer. My concern is that if FBG management thinks the dyanasty crowd will only be satisfied with, or feels we are entitled to a full time person - our requests will be summarily dismissed as unreasonable.We're not asking for the moon or a king's ransom - just a nibble of cheese or a few pence.
You keep mischaracterizing what I have to say (while using partial quotes) and it is getting rather tiresome. I never stated that the dynasty crowd would only be satisified with a full time dynasty staffer. My exact words were "apparently there is not enough actual demand to have some staff member exclusively cover this category of fantasy football year-round." And that is the truth and the proof is in the pudding (so to speak). If the demand or interest were there, we would see weekly dynasty rankings - but (rightly or wrongly) the powers that be don't feel that justifies pulling someone from redraft coverage to do this on a regular basis. If some staff member currently had the time to do it, it would be done, wouldn't it? Since no staffer appears to have the time to do both redraft and dynasty content, then the alternative would seem to be having someone devote full time to dynasty content. That is not the same thing as saying the dynasty crowd here is demanding a full time staffer.And I don't know how many times I have to state I only play in dynasty leagues and would like to see more coverage. But after seeing threads with this exact subject matter for the last 3 years, I was pointing out the realities of the situation and what would be the logical solution. Now perhaps my point will be moot next season as Bloom has indicated he will have some additional time to devote to this. And I also would be remiss in not mentioning that the paid content has all kinds of dynasty related stuff every week, with Jeff Tefertiller in particular providing some fine coverage.

Personally I wouldn't need 4 during the season. I'd settle for 4 a year; after the draft, after pre-season games, mid-season, end of the season.

IMHO, dynasty "rankings" are not nearly as worthwhile as redraft rankings, due to the drastically different playstyles and situations that owners are in.

For example, in Dynastyrankings.net, they have Boldin as #30 WR. Randall Cobb at #29 WR. As an owner that in a dynasty PPR that is competitive this year and starting Boldin as my flex, the idea of me giving him up for Cobb is so remarkably laughable.

This is just one example that can be played out on other teams, where you have aging starters that will produce and be helping that team on a title run, but are "ranked" below a prospect that wouldn't start for even the worst team. Situations like this is why I find dynasty rankings to be less useful than redraft rankings.

Edit: What I would find MUCH more helpful for FBG is a Dynasty forum, where you could discuss specific prospects and situations. Basically what this forum is during the offseason.

IMHO, dynasty "rankings" are not nearly as worthwhile as redraft rankings, due to the drastically different playstyles and situations that owners are in.

For example, in Dynastyrankings.net, they have Boldin as #30 WR. Randall Cobb at #29 WR. As an owner that in a dynasty PPR that is competitive this year and starting Boldin as my flex, the idea of me giving him up for Cobb is so remarkably laughable.

This is just one example that can be played out on other teams, where you have aging starters that will produce and be helping that team on a title run, but are "ranked" below a prospect that wouldn't start for even the worst team. Situations like this is why I find dynasty rankings to be less useful than redraft rankings.

Edit: What I would find MUCH more helpful for FBG is a Dynasty forum, where you could discuss specific prospects and situations. Basically what this forum is during the offseason.
Good point but for cases like you mention I rely more on the redraft rankings to evaluate a move specifically for a single season title run. But for cases like DeMarco Murray who's situation has clearly changed since the start of the season, I'd like to see where others rank him long-term compared to some vets. Is he now viewed as a permanent fixture for Dallas? What's his 1-3 year outlook? Same with someone like Andy Dalton. Ranked relatively low during preseason but may now warrant bump up. I don't need to be told that Cam Newton is a great Dynasty QB, but is he better then Vick or Brady? How far do you drop Chris Johnson?Obviously there's no need for weekly dynasty rankings, but I do think situations can change enough during the season to have some significant player movement during the season.

ETA: An example of just how ridiculous some of the preseason dynasty rankings are now the we're half way through the season, one person has Cam Newton ranked 11 spots below Donovan McNabb. Time for an update, or at least a good explanation.

Not everyone would be laughing with you. There are two values at play in Dynasty leagues, current value and future value - and ideally, any player's ranking strikes some balance between the two values.Yes, if you have a team that is competitive this season and are starting Boldin in your flex, then obviously he would have more value than Cobb. For others, who may be in a rebuilding mode, having a WR on the wrong side of 30 with perhaps declining skills (some think this, not saying I agree) might not be preferable over a player many here think has elite talent and will be a future fantasy star.

If I owned Cobb and Boldin was the missing piece in my 2011 playoff run, I would probably prefer owing Boldin over Cobb. However, if I had adequate WR depth or was out of the running for the playoffs then I would prefer to have Cobb on my roster. IMO their dynasty value is fairly close.

Edited to add - there have been past requests for a separate dynasty forum, but the argument was that there was a lot of overlap between dynasty and redraft discussions and I think the feeling by FBGs was that having a dynasty forum would be somewhat redundant.

Not everyone would be laughing with you. There are two values at play in Dynasty leagues, current value and future value - and ideally, any player's ranking strikes some balance between the two values.Yes, if you have a team that is competitive this season and are starting Boldin in your flex, then obviously he would have more value than Cobb. For others, who may be in a rebuilding mode, having a WR on the wrong side of 30 with perhaps declining skills (some think this, not saying I agree) might not be preferable over a player many here think has elite talent and will be a future fantasy star.

If I owned Cobb and Boldin was the missing piece in my 2011 playoff run, I would probably prefer owing Boldin over Cobb. However, if I had adequate WR depth or was out of the running for the playoffs then I would prefer to have Cobb on my roster. IMO their dynasty value is fairly close.

Edited to add - there have been past requests for a separate dynasty forum, but the argument was that there was a lot of overlap between dynasty and redraft discussions and I think the feeling by FBGs was that having a dynasty forum would be somewhat redundant.
Yes, that is why I said "the idea of me giving up..." Your post pretty much is exactly the point I was trying to make about how "rankings" aren't really that helpful, in my opinion, for dynasty leagues. They are generally solid for startup drafts, but once that is over there are too many team factors to make me put a lot of stock in them.

Maybe there is potential for a FBG's wisdom of the crowds dynasty rankings. Each subscriber can adjust the individual player rankings and it could average out the scores (similar to the way the current dynasty rankings are produced).

Having an average over hundreds of subscribers would certainly be interesting, especially if details such as highest and lowest ranking were included for each player.

:thumbup:
Not a bad idea. Chances are anyone who would take the time to submit their rankings will be knowledgeable enough to provide value. In general it does seem silly FBGs is underserving what seems to be the fastest growing segment of fantasy football.
I've been looking for some type of dynasty rankings to bounce off of my own thoughts.... I'm curious that if I put something together and made it available for people to adjust their own rankings up at http://ffltools.com if it would get any use and be valuable to the FF community? I'm thinking if I were to do this, I could allow the user a very similar experience to the FBG rankings in the subscriber content, only with all user generated content. (you could exclude rankings, select by most recent, your favorite rankers etc...)

Should this be pursued? I don't want to step on FBG's toes at all and don't want to do it if it wont be helpful either, you know?

I hate the fact that Chris Wesseling's (he sometimes posts here as Fear and Loathing) awesome dynasty rankings are now behind a paywall (that I won't pay for) at Rotoworld. His Sons of the Tundra dynasty rankings blog was such a great resource.

The lack of dynasty rankings here at FBG is a huge weakness. I am considering switching my one FF subscription to Rotoworld next year.

Straight up dynasty rankings are near impossible to create.

That is, can't just make a list of 300 players, and have it apply for more than a portion of dynasty leagues.

For dynasty rankings to work right, they'd have to be formula-driven. There's a database with various values for players, on a variety of metrics.

Age and injury factors, expected length of productive fantasy life, and way and so and and more and more...

Then, based on a user's input, the dynasty rankings are created.

What user input? Their dynasty league format. In order for dynasty rankings to work for a user, his league setup absolutely must be taken into consideration. Primarily, what is the depth of the league at both it's shallowest and deepest portions of the calendar year. If depth is position-specific, that could be factored in, as well.

Time and again, I've seen folks clamor for dynasty rankings. It's not a simple matter. The rankings for a league that is 150 players deep before the rookie draft and 330 players deep during the season will be vastly different than the rankings for a league that is 240 players deep before the rookie draft and 420 players deep during the season. If these factors are not taken into consideration, the rankings will be pretty silly.

Another huge factor to consider is whether a particular team is currently competitive. (Many leagues have half their owners always playing for the year after next, it seems.) While this might not have any bearing on the actual rankings, it is certainly taken into consideration by an owner when interpreting the rankings. This metric is something which could be factored into how to display custom rankings.

To my mind, this might be a useful tool. That said, just as anybody of us can pick apart one-year rankings and even per-week rankings, the subjectivity involved in long-term projections might engender even more nit-picking than usual. Nothing can be perfect. I could easily envision a scenario in which I'd trade Boldin for Cobb, but can completely understand why others might think that is absurd.

Most of the appeal of dynasty, IMO, is that there are no rankings. Nobody's there to scold you if you pee outside the bowl. You're on your own. It's your wits against theirs, as each owner attempts to factor the myriad player value variables on his own, in relation to his particular situation.

Straight up dynasty rankings are near impossible to create.

That is, can't just make a list of 300 players, and have it apply for more than a portion of dynasty leagues.

For dynasty rankings to work right, they'd have to be formula-driven. There's a database with various values for players, on a variety of metrics.

Age and injury factors, expected length of productive fantasy life, and way and so and and more and more...

Then, based on a user's input, the dynasty rankings are created.

What user input? Their dynasty league format. In order for dynasty rankings to work for a user, his league setup absolutely must be taken into consideration. Primarily, what is the depth of the league at both it's shallowest and deepest portions of the calendar year. If depth is position-specific, that could be factored in, as well.

Time and again, I've seen folks clamor for dynasty rankings. It's not a simple matter. The rankings for a league that is 150 players deep before the rookie draft and 330 players deep during the season will be vastly different than the rankings for a league that is 240 players deep before the rookie draft and 420 players deep during the season. If these factors are not taken into consideration, the rankings will be pretty silly.

Another huge factor to consider is whether a particular team is currently competitive. (Many leagues have half their owners always playing for the year after next, it seems.) While this might not have any bearing on the actual rankings, it is certainly taken into consideration by an owner when interpreting the rankings. This metric is something which could be factored into how to display custom rankings.

To my mind, this might be a useful tool. That said, just as anybody of us can pick apart one-year rankings and even per-week rankings, the subjectivity involved in long-term projections might engender even more nit-picking than usual. Nothing can be perfect. I could easily envision a scenario in which I'd trade Boldin for Cobb, but can completely understand why others might think that is absurd.

Most of the appeal of dynasty, IMO, is that there are no rankings. Nobody's there to scold you if you pee outside the bowl. You're on your own. It's your wits against theirs, as each owner attempts to factor the myriad player value variables on his own, in relation to his particular situation.
Well said.

Straight up dynasty rankings are near impossible to create. That is, can't just make a list of 300 players, and have it apply for more than a portion of dynasty leagues.For dynasty rankings to work right, they'd have to be formula-driven. There's a database with various values for players, on a variety of metrics.Age and injury factors, expected length of productive fantasy life, and way and so and and more and more...
I disagree. A lot of the same arguments could be made for or against redraft rankings - that they only work for a portion of all leagues and that they have to be formula driven. But I have seen good dynasty rankings that have been done over the years at this site and others, so it can be done. It just turns on two things, having someone willing to take the time to do the rankings and having a site willing to publish them.

Guys, my positional dynasty rankings are up to date, and have been no more than a month old all season.
Thanks, I'll check them out.On a related note, part of the reason people likely don't know this is because the navigation to open up dynasty rankings is horrible. Clicking on dynasty rankings, by default, queries overall rankings made within the last 7 days. Of course, this never brings up any results because on top of 7 days being a ridiculously short time frame, overall rankings are less likely to be done anyways.From here, basically the user has two pain-in-the-### options to get to a screen where he can get to the dropdown menus to select what rankings he wants to look for.Either click on the link that offers to search for overall rankings within the past 35 days (which there also never are), and keep doing that until basically you get to 365 days. Or, manually enter into the browser link 365 days.Both ways are annoying and both ultimately only get you to a screen with dynasty rankings from like August JUST so you can THEN begin searching for rankings that might actually be done by playing with the dropdown menus.It's a ridiculously shortbus navigation path and really needs to be fixed./endrant

SSOG used to keep his up to date and his partner apparently still does. Jeff used to on FBG, but ... I'll just say my experience has been different than his recollection about being no more than a month out all year (and most of the others haven't been touched since August). DonSmith keeps his current. Of course they won't be exact for your league or how many years out you like to project, and you have to make use of them in light of your teams situation. You also have to read in where the lister is coming from, but that isn't very hard to do if you are into FF enough to be looking. It would be a real service, even if only to 10% of all site members (hard figure for me to believe, and keeper leagues would love to have them too - which makes it a much bigger number) would be looking.

I appreciate that Jeff makes an effort and even more that Bloom pledges to get them out regularly next year. Wish we had some now, but will wait. I really think its something for FBG to emphasize. A growing piece of the evolution of the game.

I hate the fact that Chris Wesseling's (he sometimes posts here as Fear and Loathing) awesome dynasty rankings are now behind a paywall (that I won't pay for) at Rotoworld. His Sons of the Tundra dynasty rankings blog was such a great resource.

The lack of dynasty rankings here at FBG is a huge weakness. I am considering switching my one FF subscription to Rotoworld next year.
why not? Even if they took away all their other content, I would still pay for the dynasty rankings. They're updated every Thursday and I haven't seen a better source out there

Sorry, I didn't mean to take a shot at Rotoworld. I'm sure their stuff is great. I subbed to FBG this year and I pretty much only do one subscription a year. Might change it up next year.

I promise you won't be disappoint with the dynasty content in the offseason and next year. please give us one more chance. if you have any specific questions about your dynasty teams, dont hesitate to email me or hit me on twitter or here on the boards via PMs.

Guys, my positional dynasty rankings are up to date, and have been no more than a month old all season.
Thanks, I'll check them out.On a related note, part of the reason people likely don't know this is because the navigation to open up dynasty rankings is horrible. Clicking on dynasty rankings, by default, queries overall rankings made within the last 7 days. Of course, this never brings up any results because on top of 7 days being a ridiculously short time frame, overall rankings are less likely to be done anyways.From here, basically the user has two pain-in-the-### options to get to a screen where he can get to the dropdown menus to select what rankings he wants to look for.Either click on the link that offers to search for overall rankings within the past 35 days (which there also never are), and keep doing that until basically you get to 365 days. Or, manually enter into the browser link 365 days.Both ways are annoying and both ultimately only get you to a screen with dynasty rankings from like August JUST so you can THEN begin searching for rankings that might actually be done by playing with the dropdown menus.It's a ridiculously shortbus navigation path and really needs to be fixed./endrant
we'll be working on making navigation easier and more intuitive - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Users who are viewing this thread