Sand

The Hunger Games

431 posts in this topic

It was good, very good, just not great...I would give it a B.

Acting was OK, with the exception of Lawrence, Harrelson and Tucci.

I will go see it again as I was in the 3rd row and needed to be back a bit.

When Rue said "You have to win" I :rolleyes: rolled my eyes but when Katniss saluted the 11th District in Honor of her, I got a little :cry:

It was good, very good, just not great...I would give it a B.

Acting was OK, with the exception of Lawrence, Harrelson and Tucci.

I will go see it again as I was in the 3rd row and needed to be back a bit.

When Rue said "You have to win" I :rolleyes: rolled my eyes but when Katniss saluted the 11th District in Honor of her, I got a little :cry:

SPOILERS!!!!

Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.

Condescending much? My 11-year old son wanted to read the book, so I made the point of reading it first so that I had a full appreciation of the subject matter. Told my son at that point that he should wait to read it. A year later, when he was 12, he and I talked about it, and we agreed together that he could read it. Are there some violent sequences? Yes. But I deemed the book to be suitable for my son at that point (though not a year earlier) based on his development and maturity.
I agree with bigbottom. The concept of the book is violent, but it didn't come across as over-the-top gory. If anything, the love story would probably be tough for an 11 or 12 year old to understand. In a world where the Star Wars movies are marketed to kids less than 10, you'd have to be pretty arrogant to discourage a 13 year old from reading a book they might enjoy.
12-18 year olds hacking each other to bits with axes and swords. 24 entrants with 23 guaranteed to die. Blood rain and suffocating acid gas. Cyborg monkeys and reanimated were-corpses (no respect for the dead) tearing children to bits. The list goes on and on.None of that is over the top gory?
Damn dude, were you never a teenager? That's exactly the kinda stuff I'd love!Seriously...I don't get how, in just a few short years, people can forget how nasty, disgusting, vile and downright vicious they used to be as teens. To hear people tell it...we were all angels draped in cloth cut directly from the Lord's robes.I'm not saying you should encourage every deviant behavior but loosen up a bit. Damn.
Oh no, not at all. I said I was surprised people would let 12-13 year olds read it, not teenagers in general.Maybe I'm wrong maybe 12 years old is fine, maybe younger. To me it seemed quite violent in a graphic way for a 12 year old.
Really? When I was 12 I was reading Stephen King books. Someone mentioned Hardy Boys earlier. I thought those kinds of books were lame when I was in 6th grade. Hated them.

87% at Rotten Tomatoes with 204 reviews.

If somebody wants to watch the original Hunger Games, they should pick up The Running Man.

If somebody wants to watch the original Hunger Games, they should pick up The Running Man.

OH NO, HE DINT!!!!!

OH NO, HE DINT!!!!!
Gonna be nice to concentrate on the EPL without one of those pesky European competitions next year, amirite?The movie was good. I think that's the first time ever that Lenny Kravitz hasn't filled me with anger.

I saw it last night. Thought it was a great movie and well worth seeing.

On a side note, I sat and ate a hamburger with the guy that played Seneca Crane (the game maker) (Wes Bentley) back in the summer of 97. He had just graduated from high school was literally leaving the next week to start chasing his dream of acting.

Frankly when I first started to read the Hunger Games I was shocked to find out that people were letting their children read these books as they are extraordinarily violent. Easily on a Battle Royale level of bloody and gruesome. I would not be happy to have my 12-13 year old be reading that kind of violent content. But I find that many parents are very permissive with their children and, IMO, often choose to follow the path of least resistance rather than making difficult choices that will cause the child to push back even a little bit.

Condescending much? My 11-year old son wanted to read the book, so I made the point of reading it first so that I had a full appreciation of the subject matter. Told my son at that point that he should wait to read it. A year later, when he was 12, he and I talked about it, and we agreed together that he could read it. Are there some violent sequences? Yes. But I deemed the book to be suitable for my son at that point (though not a year earlier) based on his development and maturity.
I agree with bigbottom. The concept of the book is violent, but it didn't come across as over-the-top gory. If anything, the love story would probably be tough for an 11 or 12 year old to understand. In a world where the Star Wars movies are marketed to kids less than 10, you'd have to be pretty arrogant to discourage a 13 year old from reading a book they might enjoy.
12-18 year olds hacking each other to bits with axes and swords. 24 entrants with 23 guaranteed to die. Blood rain and suffocating acid gas. Cyborg monkeys and reanimated were-corpses (no respect for the dead) tearing children to bits. The list goes on and on.None of that is over the top gory?
Damn dude, were you never a teenager? That's exactly the kinda stuff I'd love!Seriously...I don't get how, in just a few short years, people can forget how nasty, disgusting, vile and downright vicious they used to be as teens. To hear people tell it...we were all angels draped in cloth cut directly from the Lord's robes.I'm not saying you should encourage every deviant behavior but loosen up a bit. Damn.
Oh no, not at all. I said I was surprised people would let 12-13 year olds read it, not teenagers in general.Maybe I'm wrong maybe 12 years old is fine, maybe younger. To me it seemed quite violent in a graphic way for a 12 year old.
Really? When I was 12 I was reading Stephen King books. Someone mentioned Hardy Boys earlier. I thought those kinds of books were lame when I was in 6th grade. Hated them.
I went to the movie lst night. I was talking with a friend of my neicee who said the books were required reading in the 6th grade. :o I guess he could have been pulling my leg, but there was no reason for him as I just met him and he was serious when I asked if he read the books. In a time where violence in school is a hot topic, I don't understand how a school could make this required reading.As far as the movie, eventhough they did enough to make this PG 13, I just find it barbaric to use kids, but I like the concept of the modernday collisium for the gladiators to "win the mob" to recieve help.

Oh man, nice one! Nobody else int he previous 4 pages made that joke, not even fifteen or sixteen times!I'm looking forward to it. Read the books, seeing the movie this week with a girl from one of my classes who LOVED the books. I'm wondering how that will affect the viewing haha.

Oh man, nice one! Nobody else int he previous 4 pages made that joke, not even fifteen or sixteen times!I'm looking forward to it. Read the books, seeing the movie this week with a girl from one of my classes who LOVED the books. I'm wondering how that will affect the viewing haha.
havent read the thread...sorry

Gonna be nice to concentrate on the EPL without one of those pesky European competitions next year, amirite?

Your words are hurtful. I'm taking this alias back.

Lawrence reminds me of Renee Zellwegger but much hotter.

Movie was really good despite some dissappointing casting choices.

Lawrence is perfect but the actor playing Peter was not what I was expecting and Harrelson was a total miscast. Jeff Bridges would have been perfect for Haymitch.

ok for a 7yo who likes Avatar, Harry Potter etc?

OH NO, HE DINT!!!!!
Gonna be nice to concentrate on the EPL without one of those pesky European competitions next year, amirite?
Europa league down? :confused::bag:

ok for a 7yo who likes Avatar, Harry Potter etc?

There's no way I would take a 7yo to see this. 12 or 13? Yes, if we talk beforehand (which we did in my case). I'd be disturbed to see a 7yo at the movie quite honestly.

I thought about seeing this but the whole idea of teenagers and killing was done to death by Shakespeare so there's really no point in seeing this or frankly any movie

Lawrence reminds me of Renee Zellwegger but much hotter.Movie was really good despite some dissappointing casting choices.Lawrence is perfect but the actor playing Peter was not what I was expecting and Harrelson was a total miscast. Jeff Bridges would have been perfect for Haymitch.

:goodposting: about Lawrence and Zellwegger. Spot on.I thought Harrelson was perfect for the role and did it quite well (as was Hutcherson with Peeta). IMO, Sutherland was completely miscast. John Hurt was really the only choice there, IMO.

Lawrence is going to be the most famous movie actress for the next decade. I remember seeing her on Kimmel a few years ago and she was new to the Hollywood scene and in awe of everyone famous. She seems cool is what I'm really saying.

I'm merely defending out district. No need to wig out.

In middle school/high school, I read every single Louis L'Amour book printed...

I had every one of these read by the time I was 12. Most 4-6 times. :bag:

So we've got some folks arguing that the books are too adult for kids and others arguing that they're too youthful for adults.

Seems like novels are a pretty touchy subject around these parts. I never knew.

Blog on the Bachelor? WTF?

:goodposting:I'm hippling this so-far highly entertaining thread, but wtf?

I liked it. I thought the stuff they left out wasn't necessary anyway and they had to obviously cut some stuff out. Not a fan of that much shaky camera.

I'm merely defending out district. No need to wig out.
My link

Pretty darn good and faithful to the book. I thought the acting performances were decent to very good across the board.

when Katniss saluted the 11th District in Honor of her, I got a little :cry:

That part got to me.My 17 year old son who is normally pretty critical of movies based on books he has read, thought it was one of the best movies ever.My 13 year old daughter who has read the 1st book at least a dozen times, including 3 times just last week, did not like it at all. :shrug: She thought too many details were changed for no reason.I have never read any of the books, and thought the movie was just OK.

That part got to me.My 17 year old son who is normally pretty critical of movies based on books he has read, thought it was one of the best movies ever.My 13 year old daughter who has read the 1st book at least a dozen times, including 3 times just last week, did not like it at all. :shrug: She thought too many details were changed for no reason.I have never read any of the books, and thought the movie was just OK.
A couple of students were talking about the changes as well and I thought the same thing your daughter did, why?especially

Who gave Katniss the pin. Not sure why they would write the mayors daughter out but Ill have to see the movie I guess

A couple of students were talking about the changes as well and I thought the same thing your daughter did, why?especially

Who gave Katniss the pin. Not sure why they would write the mayors daughter out but Ill have to see the movie I guess

Yep, that was one my daughter mentioned. It wasn't a time issue, so she wasn't sure why it was changed. My daughter is very detail oriented, and went a little OCD reading the book 3 times in anticipation of seeing the movie. A couple of others that didn't make sense to her:

The medicine for Peeta's wound came in a syringe instead of a salve.Katniss drugged Peeta so she could leave the cave.Rue was speared while still in the net.My daughter understand the time issue, and knows that not every detail can be in a movie, but she didn't get the change on these.

I had read in a magazine article that they made certain changes to the book to make it a manageable length. If you keep all of the characters from the book and give the time to give each character it's proper introduction, you're probably looking at a 3+ hour movie. I tend to agree when Hollywood makes changes like this - if you want to experience the exact thing as the book, just read the book again.

Add me to the camp that thinks it is a teenage girlie movie. We went to the Fri matt and our local Rave 13 theater was packed to the gills with a million little Katniss'es standing in line waiting desperately to see their favorite book on the big screen.

I read the first book, wife read all 3 and gets mad at me when I say it is a kid's book and a kid's movie...give me The Hardy Boys Secret of the Caves with Biff Hooper and Chet Morton assisting Joe and Frank solve a great mystery!

I had read in a magazine article that they made certain changes to the book to make it a manageable length. If you keep all of the characters from the book and give the time to give each character it's proper introduction, you're probably looking at a 3+ hour movie. I tend to agree when Hollywood makes changes like this - if you want to experience the exact thing as the book, just read the book again.I think everyone understands that, but to fans of the book, some of the changes didn't make sense for time reasons.

Yep, that was one my daughter mentioned. It wasn't a time issue, so she wasn't sure why it was changed. My daughter is very detail oriented, and went a little OCD reading the book 3 times in anticipation of seeing the movie. A couple of others that didn't make sense to her:

The medicine for Peeta's wound came in a syringe instead of a salve.Katniss drugged Peeta so she could leave the cave.Rue was speared while still in the net.My daughter understand the time issue, and knows that not every detail can be in a movie, but she didn't get the change on these.

Those are inconsequential changes.One thing that bothered me was

Not doing a good job telling the audience how/why Peeta got hurt. They went from the wasp/hallucination to him being half dead with a leg wound.

I think people who did not read the book missed an important character point there.

That part got to me.

My 17 year old son who is normally pretty critical of movies based on books he has read, thought it was one of the best movies ever.

My 13 year old daughter who has read the 1st book at least a dozen times, including 3 times just last week, did not like it at all. :shrug: She thought too many details were changed for no reason.

I have never read any of the books, and thought the movie was just OK.

A couple of students were talking about the changes as well and I thought the same thing your daughter did, why?

especially

The medicine for Peeta's wound came in a syringe instead of a salve.

Katniss drugged Peeta so she could leave the cave.

Rue was speared while still in the net.

My daughter understand the time issue, and knows that not every detail can be in a movie, but she didn't get the change on these.

Those are inconsequential changes.

One thing that bothered me was

Not doing a good job telling the audience how/why Peeta got hurt. They went from the wasp/hallucination to him being half dead with a leg wound.

I think people who did not read the book missed an important character point there.

Yes they were, but why change them at all when it wasn't a time issue?

What you are talking about could have actually been a time issue, which they do all the time.

I didn't read the book, and I thought it was just ok. Actually, no, the first half was really good, but once they set foot in the arena it started to go downhill. For a movie based on a fight to the death, there was shockingly little action on screen. I felt jipped in a way.

I didn't read the book. I went with my wife and a few friends, one of which had read the book. We came out disappointed. The one who had read the book said that the main character was a lot less angry in the film than the book.

I was expecting to see her kill more than one person with the bow. I mean they built her up as an expert with the bow and one kill is all you get?!? and that kill was more reflex than enything else.

We also thought that the movie dragged on unnecessarily in a few spots (like right after Rue's death).