What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith (1 Viewer)

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
Why the last 14 starts and not 16? Going further than 14 gets messy thanks to Singletary benching him, playing him in parts of games, injuries, etc. I got this information from ESPN and Niner forums.

2,730 yards

61% completion

7.3 ypa

19 touchdowns. 4 interceptions.

97 Quarterback rating

11 wins. 3 losses.

As for this year, he has the highest 4th quarter rating of any qb at 118.8.

:popcorn:

They mentioned how well he was doing on Sirius "Late Hits" last night and even joked that maybe the Smith/Rodgers debate is back on (they were kidding). But the truth is, back in the 70s and 80s, this was sometimes the typical escalation of a QB. There were ups and downs and sometimes it took many years for the QB to get it or the the staff to understand how to manage that QB. The cap kind of killed the ability to do this (as the pressure in a high-dollar environment), but when you think about a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick, was there any reason he had to bounce around? 20 years ago, he would have sat, got opportunities here and there and eventually found his legs.

It would be nice to see teams have starters and backups remain with the team for 5+ years together, but with the cap, it is just not feasible. I remember my NY Jets had Ken O'Brien and Pat Ryan together for like 7 years together in the 80s. It wasn't a combo that set the world on fire, but when Ryan had to step in, he knew what he was doing, and the dropoff was less than what we see today, and if we don't see a dropoff (like Skelton) there is constant speculation he will be gone in a season.

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous.

He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
As for this year, he has the highest 4th quarter rating of any qb at 118.8. :popcorn:
This is mostly because Harbaugh likes to let teams get within one score in the fourth and runs this ultra conservative offense. Great stats to see, probably the biggest improvement is not freaking out on the field as he used to. I'll take the limited turnovers and a win over trying to light up the board any day. Just wish we didn't get completely away from passing with the lead.

Don't go on 49er forums if you don't like blind delusional homerism. I'm a 49er fan and defended Smith his entire career, but last season was it. I thought that playing so well this season, Alex would have good numbers, but they are mediocre at best

But reading through 49er forums, you'd think he was some top 5 QB. How they would trust him to win us a shootout, how he compares to Tom Brady, etc

right now he is in a good system on a solid team. He hasnt been asked to do much besides not turn it over. and besides over 14 games he has 2730 yds & 19 tds. thats 195 yds/game, and 1.35 tds/game. not world beater stats and not very impressive.

ETA: the league avg in passing yd/game is around 224.6 the niners avg about 174.3. the niners are 3rd to last in total passing/game behind the broncos and jaguars. He doesnt really need to do much for them to win...

Why the last 14 starts and not 16? Going further than 14 gets messy thanks to Singletary benching him, playing him in parts of games, injuries, etc. I got this information from ESPN and Niner forums.

2,730 yards

61% completion

7.3 ypa

97 Quarterback rating

11 wins. 3 losses.

I see those 49er forums are back to cherry picking Smith's career again, using the same criteria during the Nolan era. Just plain bad form there.

ETA: Smith in 2010: 14 TDs, 10 INTs. 3-8 49er w-l 11 games.

The thing with Smith is that if you actually watch the games he is a terrible qb. The majority of his passes look like dead ducks. I have never seen an nfl qb throw so many ugly balls.

Don't go on 49er forums if you don't like blind delusional homerism. I'm a 49er fan and defended Smith his entire career, but last season was it. I thought that playing so well this season, Alex would have good numbers, but they are mediocre at bestBut reading through 49er forums, you'd think he was some top 5 QB. How they would trust him to win us a shootout, how he compares to Tom Brady, etc
49erwebzone? Lol, they were prepared to run him out of town last year now he's a great qb, the 49ers should be ranked ahead of the Packers as the best team in the NFL and every national pundit is a Niner hater.....

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous. He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
He's averaging 7.2 yards per attempt which would put him 12th in the league.

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous. He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
He's averaging 7.2 yards per attempt which would put him 12th in the league.
And he's averaging 6.2 net yards per attempt, which puts him 16th in the league, and just below league average (the league average is 6.3).

2,730 yards

61% completion

7.3 ypa

97 Quarterback rating

11 wins. 3 losses.

I see those 49er forums are back to cherry picking Smith's career again, using the same criteria during the Nolan era. Just plain bad form there.

ETA: Smith in 2010: 14 TDs, 10 INTs. 3-8 49er w-l 11 games.
My favorite stat shown in the 49ers/Giants game showed that Smith was ranked either first or second in downfield passing. They had a chart showing on pass plays covering over 20 yards that Smith was leading the league in QB rating (maybe 2nd, I don't remember). Got to love that rating system.That said, all the Smith haters were screaming at the top of their lungs for McNabb during the off season, I'm pretty happy with Smith overall. I feel pretty strongly that Harbaugh has shown that the previous coaching staffs were holding this team back much more than any one player.

Don't go on 49er forums if you don't like blind delusional homerism. I'm a 49er fan and defended Smith his entire career, but last season was it. I thought that playing so well this season, Alex would have good numbers, but they are mediocre at bestBut reading through 49er forums, you'd think he was some top 5 QB. How they would trust him to win us a shootout, how he compares to Tom Brady, etc
49erwebzone? Lol, they were prepared to run him out of town last year now he's a great qb, the 49ers should be ranked ahead of the Packers as the best team in the NFL and every national pundit is a Niner hater.....
The Webzone and the 49ers own message board is where brain cells go to die. If Tebow was the starting QB, those "fans" would break Tebow down and conclude he will eclipse Montana. They are the dumbest football fans on the Internet.

The Webzone and the 49ers own message board is where brain cells go to die. If Tebow was the starting QB, those "fans" would break Tebow down and conclude he will eclipse Montana. They are the dumbest football fans on the Internet.
I concur, the webzone is like some weird cult where debate is discouraged and any contrarian views are automatically considered trolling. Been there done that, no thanks.As for Smith, I think his good stats should be more a testament of just how good a job this coaching staff has been doing. He has seemed much more confident but still misses easy throws and is still pretty average for a starting QB. I do give him credit for staying in SF with something to prove and working hard to make the niners a winning team, but he's nowhere close to elite in terms of skillset.

I concur, the webzone is like some weird cult where debate is discouraged and any contrarian views are automatically considered trolling. Been there done that, no thanks.As for Smith, I think his good stats should be more a testament of just how good a job this coaching staff has been doing. He has seemed much more confident but still misses easy throws and is still pretty average for a starting QB. I do give him credit for staying in SF with something to prove and working hard to make the niners a winning team, but he's nowhere close to elite in terms of skillset.
No, I go on Niners Nation. Basically, all the time this season any time Alex is brought up I get tired of the delusion and call it out, then I get called not a real fan. And then if he throws a terrible pass (like overthrowing Crabtree 4 times a game), people just say "Even Brady/Manning/Brees have bad throws"

No, I go on Niners Nation. Basically, all the time this season any time Alex is brought up I get tired of the delusion and call it out, then I get called not a real fan. And then if he throws a terrible pass (like overthrowing Crabtree 4 times a game), people just say "Even Brady/Manning/Brees have bad throws"
Niners Nation used to be a good site, but it has become another Bleacher Report, and the homerism is just as bad as the other sites. The "you're not a real fan" bullcrap over Smith is stupid, since Smith hasn't even sniffed Garcia production yet, much less Garcia's career.

'drummer said:
'Tony Reali said:
'chinawildman said:
Niners Nation used to be a good site, but it has become another Bleacher Report, and the homerism is just as bad as the other sites. The "you're not a real fan" bullcrap over Smith is stupid, since Smith hasn't even sniffed Garcia production yet, much less Garcia's career.
No, I disagree. yes, it is blatant homerism, but it has only been this season. And I still enjoy the topics made, it's just that recently there has been an overload of Alex Smith threads. And since I always knock Smith, I get called pessimistic (along with a bad fan) and hating the team, when literally the only person I talk bad about is Smith. It's pretty much the only tolerable 49er board on the internet. Much like every other sport though, because message boards are filled with too much garbage

The thing with Smith is that if you actually watch the games he is a terrible qb. The majority of his passes look like dead ducks. I have never seen an nfl qb throw so many ugly balls.
Idiocy at its best
No, he's right. I'm not biased in anyway in regards to the 49ers and Alex Smith but he does throw a lot of ducks. I was watching the Giants/49ers game and he handled the pressure very well but also floated a few up that if the defense was in position was probably going to lead to a few picks. He's managing games very well, but he's not winning them.

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year. Currently he ranks 23rd in both passing yds and completions. The 49ers coaching staff is masking his lack of talent by not asking him to throw the ball as much. He's like the new Trent Dilfer although to his credit, he is not turning the ball over much...yet.

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year. Currently he ranks 23rd in both passing yds and completions. The 49ers coaching staff is masking his lack of talent by not asking him to throw the ball as much. He's like the new Trent Dilfer although to his credit, he is not turning the ball over much...yet.
Unfair comparison. You also have to factor in that the 49ers have been ahead in the majority of their games, and they are built for a power run game. Crapvaris and Cassel have been playing from behind this season and neither have been good teams like the 49ers are.While it's obvious Harbaugh is masking Alex's inability (yet saying "oh yes of course he's a great QB"), you do have to recognize the fact that he hasn't needed to pass much regardless. He passed it around in the Eagles and Giants games and led the comeback against the Eagles, kept up with Eli somewhat, and even, yes, WON the game against the Lions even only with 125 pass yards

'chinawildman said:
He has seemed much more confident but still misses easy throws
.Link?Last I checked he was 6th in the league in completion percentage, behind only Rogers, Brady, Brees, Fitzpatrick and Romo.Not sure how he could be ranked there and be missing easy throws.I've actually seen a number of dropped passes this year.Would be very interested to see exactly how many the Niners have had and where his completion percentage would rank without those.
'chinawildman said:
he's nowhere close to elite in terms of skillset.
Not sure you could find anyone here arguing that he's elite, but he's also not playing nearly as badly as a lot of people here are claiming. He might not have gaudy stats, but his pocket presence, ability to extend plays with his feet, decision making and ability to throw on the run have been awesome this year.

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year.
I guess that makes them better QBs than Smith.
The 49ers are ranked 29th in passing offense. Only the Colts, Broncos and Jags rank lower. Alex Smith's so-called improvement is a mirage due to the 49ers D allowing the fewest points in the league and also having the best turnover ratio at +13. Smith still ranks in the very bottom tier of starting NFL QBs when it comes to actual skills and overall production.

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year.
The 49ers are ranked 29th in passing offense. Only the Colts, Broncos and Jags rank lower. Alex Smith's so-called improvement is a mirage due to the 49ers D allowing the fewest points in the league and also having the best turnover ratio at +13. Smith still ranks in the very bottom tier of starting NFL QBs when it comes to actual skills and overall production.
They are 29th in passing yards because they are 31st in passing attempts. They are also 6th in passer rating.

They are 29th in passing yards because they are 31st in passing attempts. They are also 6th in passer rating.
He's only the 18th rated passer in FF.No better than a low ranking back-up.MAYBE a starter in 2 QB leagues, but you'd really have to be hurting.

Wow c'mon niner fans. Do u not remember all those years of suck? He's mediocre at best. But I probably won't be able to convince you nor will anyone else because he is magically a good qb now...

Just saw an interesting stat - he's 2nd in the league in completion percentage when throwing to tight ends.

Could it be that his receivers are still less than awesome? (Losing Morgan hurt a lot).

Ever notice how during telecasts, they highlight when a receiver was left open down the field, but the QB didn't or couldn't throw it to them?

I don't recall seeing any of those replays this year for the Niners.

Wow c'mon niner fans. Do u not remember all those years of suck? He's mediocre at best. But I probably won't be able to convince you nor will anyone else because he is magically a good qb now...
He's always had the potential to be good.It's not magic.He finally has a good O-line, great play calling and an awesome teacher.

he's adapted well to the new system that harbaugh put in place. he's not asked to anything more than he is capable of. harbaugh has made a winning team and QB out of a mediocre talent. good for everyone...

yeah you're right, a QB can never improve. if he plays badly, he's bad for the rest of his career. no exceptions. a bust is a bust is a bust

yeah you're right, a QB can never improve. if he plays badly, he's bad for the rest of his career. no exceptions. a bust is a bust is a bust
Oh now i see. So from 2005-2010 were just his learning curve years. Now they are winning he must be good...

Oh now i see. So from 2005-2010 were just his learning curve years. Now they are winning he must be good...
No i never said he was a good QB. yet i do recognize all the crap he went through his entire career. it's obvious he has improved

Not being a Smith apologist, but the last 5-6 yrs I have thought the coaching has been sub NFL. Singletary alone screwed the offense up so much that I think we are seeing with some proper coaching - Smith may be at least an average to low end top 10 QB in the league. Just because the team is built more old style, power running, means comparing the passing yard to the pass happy NFL is apples to oranges.

Also, I think being actually coached by a QB coach is showing he does have some talent. Do not forget that Bill Walsh used to stated the poorest coached position in the NFL is the QB - for whatever reason and I thinking this is an example of a bunch of substandard (X's & O's qb coaches rather than the mental and physically fundamental side of the game) QB assistants. Do not forget when Norv Turner coached Alex, he appeared to be making strides.

i may be wrong about this but didn't smith have something like a new OC and/or QB coach each year?

Lol denial is a horrible trait. I can see where this topic is going.... Another 8 pages :sigh:
I agree.The haters need to re-watch (or watch for the 1st time?) all of the games from this year.We're not making this stuff up.He's playing well.
For Alex Smith.......I mean, it's not like (argument who was better during the Nolan/Sing) era Shaun Hill can't run this offense. I think Alex Smith has eradicated what 49er fans think good QB play is.

i may be wrong about this but didn't smith have something like a new OC and/or QB coach each year?
His first 2 seasons he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner as OC. His QB coach since he was drafted in Jim Hostler took over for Turner when Norv left for SD. Mike Martz and Jimmy Raye followed. The offensive system wasn't radically changed. In fact it was fairly pedestrian when Turner took over focusing on the run more. Martz watered down his system for Hill a bit. Hill managed to win games with Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye as OC.

Just saw an interesting stat - he's 2nd in the league in completion percentage when throwing to tight ends.Could it be that his receivers are still less than awesome? (Losing Morgan hurt a lot).Ever notice how during telecasts, they highlight when a receiver was left open down the field, but the QB didn't or couldn't throw it to them?I don't recall seeing any of those replays this year for the Niners.
I think Harbaugh's offense like the TE more, and hey now, they ave Crabtree, Ginn, and Edwards. Where were those WR's drafted now? And....yes, there were many times where Smith didn't see a wide open receiver, or flat out missed them.

'drummer said:
I think Harbaugh's offense like the TE more, and hey now, they ave Crabtree, Ginn, and Edwards. Where were those WR's drafted now?
Same round as David Terrell, Freddie Mitchell, Charles Rogers & J.J. Stokes
'drummer said:
And....yes, there were many times where Smith didn't see a wide open receiver, or flat out missed them.
Links?

'drummer said:
His first 2 seasons he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner as OC. His QB coach since he was drafted in Jim Hostler took over for Turner when Norv left for SD. Mike Martz and Jimmy Raye followed. The offensive system wasn't radically changed. In fact it was fairly pedestrian when Turner took over focusing on the run more. Martz watered down his system for Hill a bit. Hill managed to win games with Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye as OC.
2005: The team was so unbelievable horrible I give him a bit of a pass2006: Made strides with Norv, who left after the year2007: Hostler, the worst offensive coordinator in the history of the NFL. Forced to play on a separated shoulder and missed half the year2008: Completely new offense under Martz the team wasn't capable of running, Smith on IR2009: The most contrasting new offense from Martz with Jimmy Raye. Horrible offensive coordinator, and horrible coach in Singletary. The year when he was bench and came back with 18 TDs and 12 INT2010: The disastrous season with Troy Smith, David Carr starting after Smith's injury. 2011: Actual competent head coach and assistants, and look at him now

Users who are viewing this thread