What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith (1 Viewer)

Lol...Im a die hard 9er fan, and Im not completely sold on Alex...at least not yet. That said, although his passing numbers are anemic, this season is his best as a pro and leaps and bounds above anything hes done in this league so far, so thats a HUGE accomplishment in itself.

What Harbaugh has been able to do with him in such a short time is nothing short of amazing. Im just glad Smith is finally showing promise as an NFL QB....nd if they dont go far in the post season? So what -- this year is something to build on for next year. Harbaugh made THIS much progress with a lockout, no training camp, etc...Im pretty confident he will help improve and develop Smith by an even greater margin going into next season. Do I think he will be an elite QB? Probably not, but I DO think he will become good enough to lead this team to a SB championship with Haubaughs tutelage. Not likely this year, but next year and beyond?? I can see it happening.

Haters hate all you want...as a 49er fan, Im loving everything about this season and I dont give a rats asset what anyone says about them. Like Dr A has said a few times, its nice seeing people talk about them, and not because theyre doormats, but because theyre winning and opening eyes

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
'drummer said:
I think Harbaugh's offense like the TE more, and hey now, they ave Crabtree, Ginn, and Edwards. Where were those WR's drafted now?
Same round as David Terrell, Freddie Mitchell, Charles Rogers & J.J. Stokes
'drummer said:
And....yes, there were many times where Smith didn't see a wide open receiver, or flat out missed them.
Links?
You know how to read a game stat line don't you? Start from there, and then go look at every game log and what you games you have on your DVR. I'm sure your inner excuse maker will blame everything else but the QB. You're the Webzone at it's finest.

'drummer said:
His first 2 seasons he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner as OC. His QB coach since he was drafted in Jim Hostler took over for Turner when Norv left for SD. Mike Martz and Jimmy Raye followed. The offensive system wasn't radically changed. In fact it was fairly pedestrian when Turner took over focusing on the run more. Martz watered down his system for Hill a bit. Hill managed to win games with Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye as OC.
2005: The team was so unbelievable horrible I give him a bit of a pass2006: Made strides with Norv, who left after the year2007: Hostler, the worst offensive coordinator in the history of the NFL. Forced to play on a separated shoulder and missed half the year2008: Completely new offense under Martz the team wasn't capable of running, Smith on IR2009: The most contrasting new offense from Martz with Jimmy Raye. Horrible offensive coordinator, and horrible coach in Singletary. The year when he was bench and came back with 18 TDs and 12 INT2010: The disastrous season with Troy Smith, David Carr starting after Smith's injury. 2011: Actual competent head coach and assistants, and look at him now
And.........Shaun Hill managed to win games despite all of this.

'drummer said:
His first 2 seasons he had Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner as OC. His QB coach since he was drafted in Jim Hostler took over for Turner when Norv left for SD. Mike Martz and Jimmy Raye followed. The offensive system wasn't radically changed. In fact it was fairly pedestrian when Turner took over focusing on the run more. Martz watered down his system for Hill a bit. Hill managed to win games with Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye as OC.
2005: The team was so unbelievable horrible I give him a bit of a pass2006: Made strides with Norv, who left after the year2007: Hostler, the worst offensive coordinator in the history of the NFL. Forced to play on a separated shoulder and missed half the year2008: Completely new offense under Martz the team wasn't capable of running, Smith on IR2009: The most contrasting new offense from Martz with Jimmy Raye. Horrible offensive coordinator, and horrible coach in Singletary. The year when he was bench and came back with 18 TDs and 12 INT2010: The disastrous season with Troy Smith, David Carr starting after Smith's injury. 2011: Actual competent head coach and assistants, and look at him now
Shaun Hill won games despite Alex Smith on IR for a year and a half? You don't say...

'drummer said:
Shaun Hill won games despite Alex Smith on IR for a year and a half? You don't say...
He won games when Smith wasn't on IR too. He won games under Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye. This for a guy who hardly took a snap in his first year in the NFL in 2005.

'drummer said:
He won games when Smith wasn't on IR too. He won games under Tollner/Hostler, Martz, and Raye. This for a guy who hardly took a snap in his first year in the NFL in 2005.
Since it's clearly all about a qb's win/loss record you must be thrilled with the fact Alex is 11-3 in his last 14 starts.

'drummer said:
Since it's clearly all about a qb's win/loss record you must be thrilled with the fact Alex is 11-3 in his last 14 starts.
I took the cherries out of that one earlier.

No you did not. I have listed every game since he regained the starting job. But I'll let others continue this argument with you as any regular in the Niner thread knows arguing with you is a foolish endeavor. Alex Smith is not playing great. But he's not playing as poorly as some of the critics seem to think. I have yet to see all this Alex Smith love that Chase mentioned. He has led the team to victories late in the game when they needed to rely on his arm. But he has mostly handed the ball off. I do not understand why that is a bad thing. Why would you pass if you don't need to?I don't think it's a coincidence the two times he's had a good coach (Norv Turner being the other) are the two times he's looked like a consistently competent qb.

Lol...Im a die hard 9er fan, and Im not completely sold on Alex...at least not yet. That said, although his passing numbers are anemic, this season is his best as a pro and leaps and bounds above anything hes done in this league so far, so thats a HUGE accomplishment in itself.What Harbaugh has been able to do with him in such a short time is nothing short of amazing. Im just glad Smith is finally showing promise as an NFL QB....nd if they dont go far in the post season? So what -- this year is something to build on for next year. Harbaugh made THIS much progress with a lockout, no training camp, etc...Im pretty confident he will help improve and develop Smith by an even greater margin going into next season. Do I think he will be an elite QB? Probably not, but I DO think he will become good enough to lead this team to a SB championship with Haubaughs tutelage. Not likely this year, but next year and beyond?? I can see it happening. Haters hate all you want...as a 49er fan, Im loving everything about this season and I dont give a rats asset what anyone says about them. Like Dr A has said a few times, its nice seeing people talk about them, and not because theyre doormats, but because theyre winning and opening eyes :banned:
:goodposting: And to think Harbaugh hasn't even cut Alex loose yet, this offense hasn't even started to get going. That being said I wouldn't shed a tear if they replaced him with a better option at QB, he's been doing a good job and all, but not irreplaceable. Harbaugh has shown Smith has a little something in him though.

No you did not. I have listed every game since he regained the starting job. But I'll let others continue this argument with you as any regular in the Niner thread knows arguing with you is a foolish endeavor. Alex Smith is not playing great. But he's not playing as poorly as some of the critics seem to think. I have yet to see all this Alex Smith love that Chase mentioned. He has led the team to victories late in the game when they needed to rely on his arm. But he has mostly handed the ball off. I do not understand why that is a bad thing. Why would you pass if you don't need to?I don't think it's a coincidence the two times he's had a good coach (Norv Turner being the other) are the two times he's looked like a consistently competent qb.
You're cherry picking dude. It's that simple. The 49ers only won 6 games last season. Out of those 6 Smith won 3 against OAK, SEA, and AZ. How did he do against SD late last season? Look, this team isn't QB-centric, which is the best thing Harbaugh did with the offense. Smith under Turner wasn't that good at all. The run game made that offense. Same goes for this offense. Come on now, looking like he can function in an NFL offense is something unique in the NFL? If you wanna start looking at wins and TD to INT ratio, late games wins etc, look at Tebow's impact in DEN who doesn't play like your typical NFL QB.

'drummer said:
I think Harbaugh's offense like the TE more, and hey now, they ave Crabtree, Ginn, and Edwards. Where were those WR's drafted now?
'drummer said:
And....yes, there were many times where Smith didn't see a wide open receiver, or flat out missed them.
Links?
You know how to read a game stat line don't you? Start from there, and then go look at every game log and what you games you have on your DVR. I'm sure your inner excuse maker will blame everything else but the QB. You're the Webzone at it's finest.
Those 'elite' WRs as you would have them had a drop in the endzone this week and were responsible for Smith's only pick.Just sayin.

'drummer said:
'drummer said:
Links?
Those 'elite' WRs as you would have them had a drop in the endzone this week and were responsible for Smith's only pick.Just sayin.
I don't think I said they were Elite. Would you rather have the 49ers grab TO because they aren't "doing enough" to help Smith out?

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year.
I guess that makes them better QBs than Smith.
Maybe Jackson; definitely Cassel. If you put those guys on the 49ers I don't see them doing worse than Smith.
First ChaseStats, TwinTurboisms, then gems like this. This is the webzone! :thumbup: Can't wait to read more. Big ups to Uncle H :banned:

Smith is playing well. By no means is he elite or great, but he's performing above average simply by the fact that he's been able to make plays--and avoid the idiotic turnovers that have plagued him in the past--when the team needs him. I'm not sold on Alex, but I'm impressed with his progress and cautiously optimistic moving forward.

This Tarvaris, Sanchez, Cassell talk is moronic.

Tavaris Jackson and Matt Cassel each have more yards, completions, and attempts than Alex Smith so far this year.
Maybe Jackson; definitely Cassel. If you put those guys on the 49ers I don't see them doing worse than Smith.
First ChaseStats, TwinTurboisms, then gems like this. This is the webzone! :thumbup: Can't wait to read more. Big ups to Uncle H :banned:

Smith is playing well. By no means is he elite or great, but he's performing above average simply by the fact that he's been able to make plays--and avoid the idiotic turnovers that have plagued him in the past--when the team needs him. I'm not sold on Alex, but I'm impressed with his progress and cautiously optimistic moving forward.

I don't see why everybody has a chub for Smith anyway. Gore has carried this offense for years. He could be the 49ers all time leading rusher behind all those craptastic offenses and QB's the next few games or sooner. If Smith leaves after this season, I don't think it's gonna kill the team. It's not like he is Peyton Manning to the Colts, Aaron Rodgers to the Packers, Brees to New Orleans, etc. If Smith went down in the second half of the season they might be screwed, but again, of one of the backups posted 15-20 for 150 yards with 1 TD to 0 INTs in a win against STL, well I think you get the picture.

Niner homer. Have suffered through watching him play for seven painful years. We're winning now despite him, not because of him. If this team gets a QB again, look out.

What I saw yesterday.

- Smith had one of his worst games this year (the INT was u-g-l-y) and ended up with one of his best stat lines (271-2-1). This is why stats on their own are not a good indicator of how well a QB is playing.

- He overthrew a few long balls (the 2 missed TDs hurt), and threw some other passes that were less than perfect. It seems like on the long balls, Smith is putting "don't let the ball get intercepted", ahead of "give the receiver a chance to catch it". Minimizing turnovers has been a key to their success this year, but hopefully he'll gain enough confidence to let 'er rip and just go for it a little more.

- He also made a few beautiful throws. The TD to Davis, the 4th down jump pass to Williams, and another play where he lead the receiver perfectly while running to his left were all great passes.

- He got little help from his receivers. Edwards, Davis, Gore and Crabtree all dropped catchable passes. I counted 3 by Edwards alone.

- I've not been a Crabtree fan, but he's starting to impress me. He's been getting open a lot more often. He's not fast, but he has great moves.

- Kyle Williams needs more playing time. I thought that was the smoothest a Niner reciever has looked since Morgan went down.

- Yo to my pal down the road in Pismo. 9-1. :banned:

- Kyle Williams needs more playing time. I thought that was the smoothest a Niner reciever has looked since Morgan went down.
i remember reading how he was really solid in the preseason and what were the camps. something like how he and smith looked very comfortable on the field together.

What I saw yesterday. - Smith had one of his worst games this year (the INT was u-g-l-y) and ended up with one of his best stat lines (271-2-1). This is why stats on their own are not a good indicator of how well a QB is playing. - He overthrew a few long balls (the 2 missed TDs hurt), and threw some other passes that were less than perfect. It seems like on the long balls, Smith is putting "don't let the ball get intercepted", ahead of "give the receiver a chance to catch it". Minimizing turnovers has been a key to their success this year, but hopefully he'll gain enough confidence to let 'er rip and just go for it a little more. - He also made a few beautiful throws. The TD to Davis, the 4th down jump pass to Williams, and another play where he lead the receiver perfectly while running to his left were all great passes. - He got little help from his receivers. Edwards, Davis, Gore and Crabtree all dropped catchable passes. I counted 3 by Edwards alone. - I've not been a Crabtree fan, but he's starting to impress me. He's been getting open a lot more often. He's not fast, but he has great moves. - Kyle Williams needs more playing time. I thought that was the smoothest a Niner reciever has looked since Morgan went down. - Yo to my pal down the road in Pismo. 9-1. :banned:
The stat that shows more about Smith his the attempts. Once he goes past the 25 mark, stuff starts to leak. Also, the "got little help" from the WR's is a bit annoying. His WR's in past games has always bailed him out because of his poor accuracy. If you can count on one hand the good throws a QB has made in a game, then you have an average QB after he threw for almost 40 attempts. You can count drops from WR's all day yesterday throughout the League. Crabtree has bailed out Smith more that he hurt him. Smith had one good quarter out of 3 this past game, and funny how "stats don't matter" in a thread where the OP used a poor one to start it with. What I saw yesterday was Harbaugh wanting to ramp the passing offense up a bit, and it was shaky most of the game. What he did the latter part of the 4th was good. Just hand off the ball to finish the game, because "your pitcher" threw one too many pitches.

I don't see why everybody has a chub for Smith anyway. Gore has carried this offense for years. He could be the 49ers all time leading rusher behind all those craptastic offenses and QB's the next few games or sooner. If Smith leaves after this season, I don't think it's gonna kill the team. It's not like he is Peyton Manning to the Colts, Aaron Rodgers to the Packers, Brees to New Orleans, etc. If Smith went down in the second half of the season they might be screwed, but again, of one of the backups posted 15-20 for 150 yards with 1 TD to 0 INTs in a win against STL, well I think you get the picture.
Would you mind pointing out all this love to me? I know you hate the guy--we all get it by now--but most folks are doing nothing more than saying he's an above average QB or that he's playing well. Nobody has called him Manning Jr or Brees Jr :confused:

Would you mind pointing out all this love to me? I know you hate the guy--we all get it by now--but most folks are doing nothing more than saying he's an above average QB or that he's playing well. Nobody has called him Manning Jr or Brees Jr :confused:
Chase was the guy who brought up the Smith love first. Ask him. All I'm doing is fleshing things out a bit, like how an average QB's best weapons are a Franchise RB in Gore and a stellar defense that hasn't allowed a rushing TD in ages, and is getting stellar QB pressure and sacks while only rushing 4, as well as the defense being a takeway machine. Why there is a Smith thread with a poor stat as the lead in is something you need to ask the OP about.

BTW, I don't hate Smith. I just think the 49ers need to improve at QB. They haven't since Garcia, who has done a helluva lot more than Smith has. Bring more competition at that spot, bring in a guy who wants to take that job away from Smith. Nolan first mistake was doing away with it by shuttling Rattay, who thought Smith had to compete for his job.

I certainly don't think Kaepernick is the answer. It took Smith a long while, but I think he really is one of the better starters in the league at this point. He's by no means a top QB, and I don't think his value in fantasy will ever be equivalent to his current value in the actual NFL. But give me him over Sanchez, McCoy or a great number of other starters. He is not the QB SF thought they were drafting, but he is by no means a bust either. Definitely a strange and unusual case.

I certainly don't think Kaepernick is the answer. It took Smith a long while, but I think he really is one of the better starters in the league at this point. He's by no means a top QB, and I don't think his value in fantasy will ever be equivalent to his current value in the actual NFL. But give me him over Sanchez, McCoy or a great number of other starters. He is not the QB SF thought they were drafting, but he is by no means a bust either. Definitely a strange and unusual case.
Smith went from being Rob Johnson to Brad Johnson. I think he is the QB they thought they drafted, a nice coach-able QB whose ceiling they thought would become an efficient "game manager" type, rather than Rodgers, who Nolan didn't like because he thought was less coach-able. Because he is Mike Nolan.

What I saw yesterday.

- Smith had one of his worst games this year (the INT was u-g-l-y) and ended up with one of his best stat lines (271-2-1). This is why stats on their own are not a good indicator of how well a QB is playing.

- He overthrew a few long balls (the 2 missed TDs hurt), and threw some other passes that were less than perfect. It seems like on the long balls, Smith is putting "don't let the ball get intercepted", ahead of "give the receiver a chance to catch it". Minimizing turnovers has been a key to their success this year, but hopefully he'll gain enough confidence to let 'er rip and just go for it a little more.

- He also made a few beautiful throws. The TD to Davis, the 4th down jump pass to Williams, and another play where he lead the receiver perfectly while running to his left were all great passes.

- He got little help from his receivers. Edwards, Davis, Gore and Crabtree all dropped catchable passes. I counted 3 by Edwards alone.

- I've not been a Crabtree fan, but he's starting to impress me. He's been getting open a lot more often. He's not fast, but he has great moves.

- Yo to my pal down the road in Pismo. 9-1. :banned:
The stat that shows more about Smith his the attempts. Once he goes past the 25 mark, stuff starts to leak. Also, the "got little help" from the WR's is a bit annoying. His WR's in past games has always bailed him out because of his poor accuracy. If you can count on one hand the good throws a QB has made in a game, then you have an average QB after he threw for almost 40 attempts. You can count drops from WR's all day yesterday throughout the League. Crabtree has bailed out Smith more that he hurt him. Smith had one good quarter out of 3 this past game, and funny how "stats don't matter" in a thread where the OP used a poor one to start it with. What I saw yesterday was Harbaugh wanting to ramp the passing offense up a bit, and it was shaky most of the game. What he did the latter part of the 4th was good. Just hand off the ball to finish the game, because "your pitcher" threw one too many pitches.
I'm not going to go back and review every passing play from this year, so trying to argue against statements like "His WR's in past games has always bailed him out because of his poor accuracy" & "Crabtree has bailed out Smith more that he hurt him" is pointless (but please feel free to link to great catches by Niner's receivers this year).Ummmmmm, the 3 plays I mentioned weren't his only good throws from the game.

You know what.

Nevermind.

I give.

I should have listened to Dr. Awesome in Post #59.

Take it up with Don Banks.

I like Alex Smith and am routing for him.

He's a tough SOB, mentally and physically, and a good guy.

However, I don't care how he does, nearly as much as how well the Niners do.

Enjoy the vendetta.

I'm going to enjoy 9-1.

Chase was the guy who brought up the Smith love first. Ask him. All I'm doing is fleshing things out a bit, like how an average QB's best weapons are a Franchise RB in Gore and a stellar defense that hasn't allowed a rushing TD in ages, and is getting stellar QB pressure and sacks while only rushing 4, as well as the defense being a takeway machine. Why there is a Smith thread with a poor stat as the lead in is something you need to ask the OP about.

BTW, I don't hate Smith. I just think the 49ers need to improve at QB. They haven't since Garcia, who has done a helluva lot more than Smith has. Bring more competition at that spot, bring in a guy who wants to take that job away from Smith. Nolan first mistake was doing away with it by shuttling Rattay, who thought Smith had to compete for his job.
Thanks for claryifing, drummer. I only disagree about Rattay--he was the worst 49er QB since Scott Bull.GManiac--why (and how?) do you say that Kap isn't the answer?

Thanks for claryifing, drummer. I only disagree about Rattay--he was the worst 49er QB since Scott Bull.GManiac--why (and how?) do you say that Kap isn't the answer?
He wasn't very good, but throwing a project QB in Smith against Peyton his first start wasn't good either behind a bad offensive squad. Sacrifice the others first, not your #1 overall pick. Besides, Nolan made Smith starter before camp, then realized how bad that decision was.

Smith went from being Rob Johnson to Brad Johnson. I think he is the QB they thought they drafted, a nice coach-able QB whose ceiling they thought would become an efficient "game manager" type, rather than Rodgers, who Nolan didn't like because he thought was less coach-able. Because he is Mike Nolan.
With how high he was drafted I really have to think SF had higher expectations than simply game manager. They had to have thought his upside was higher. All though not taking away anything from what he has done. I just don't think his ceiling is much higher than this.

'GManiac said:
'drummer said:
'GManiac said:
With how high he was drafted I really have to think SF had higher expectations than simply game manager. They had to have thought his upside was higher. All though not taking away anything from what he has done. I just don't think his ceiling is much higher than this.
I remember reading in the media as well as other sources of where Smith was being projected as a starter, and given his insane completion rate in Utah, he ceiling was looked at he being a very efficient QB within a system. Everybody uses that tired Urban Meyer quote about Smith within a system, but I don't remember anyone projecting Smith as an Uber Dynamic QB that transcends a system, rather he being a QB that, well, can manage a system in the Pros. Nolan ditched McCarthy's WCO based offense for Turner's more QB friendly offense that featured a heavy dose of the run. Gore gashed that season rushing for over 1600 yards. Turner watered down the passing offense for Smith, and the 49er offense back then doesn't look like anything Turner has in SD the past few seasons with Rivers. With Smith, the offense has to "scale down" a bit in the passing offense. Even Martz scaled down his offense a bit with Hill behind center, but he still had Hill do 7 step drops (with that noodle arm, lol). Raye wound up "scaling up" the offense when Sing sat Hill for Smith, but again, once Smith's attempts climb up, the passing offense starts to leak. I dunno if arm strength or endurance has anything to do with it, but Harbaugh basically is keeping Smith under wraps until he works a few kinks out. Yesterday I saw Harbaugh just a little frustrated at the passing game. He wanted to open it up more, but the team might be feeling a little fatigued at this point. Harbaugh still has them at full bore in practice. Who knows after the 49ers seal playoff position what Harbaugh plans to do, either being conservative or trying to install more offensive plays, getting Kaep more involved, etc., but he kinda has to preserve Smith as well as protect his confidence. Smith is still kinda fragile as a QB. He has shown a lo more poise and confidence of course, but he still has a way to go to prove a legit Franchise QB. That's why the 49ers still have to keep trying to find one.

24/42. 299 yards. 3 touchdowns as he fluked his way to another game with 0 interceptions. Plus the 28 yard rushing touchdown. And an unbelievably clutch 4th quarter performance.

24/42. 299 yards. 3 touchdowns as he fluked his way to another game with 0 interceptions. Plus the 28 yard rushing touchdown. And an unbelievably clutch 4th quarter performance.
He pulled one out in the 4th quarter. But between the 17 point spot and the final two possessions......Well, the passing offense looked like :yucky:

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous. He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
I see Smith has fluked his way into yet another low interception ratio. 1 pick on 137 attempts. Whole lot of dumb luck. Meanwhile, Cutler has thrown 7 interceptions on 156 attempts. Vick has 6 in 185. I admit he hasn't faced a scary schedule but I took a big issue with you characterizing interceptions as "the most random of all QB statistics" then and I still don't buy this argument. If you have some statistics to back this statement up I'd be interested in reading them.

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous. He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
I see Smith has fluked his way into yet another low interception ratio. 1 pick on 137 attempts. Whole lot of dumb luck. Meanwhile, Cutler has thrown 7 interceptions on 156 attempts. Vick has 6 in 185. I admit he hasn't faced a scary schedule but I took a big issue with you characterizing interceptions as "the most random of all QB statistics" then and I still don't buy this argument. If you have some statistics to back this statement up I'd be interested in reading them.
Glad I let my subscription run out. These guys will look for anything to support their predetermined conclusion. :lmao: at INTs being random.

Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous.

He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
No doubt Smith has been really impressive this year. But are you really arguing that interceptions aren't the most random of all QB statistics?INTs/Att are pretty clearly more random than CMPs/ATT, YDs/ATT, SKs/ATT and TDs/ATT.

In this post, I looked at 365 quarterbacks from 1990 to 2008 and noted that the correlation coefficient between interception rate in Year N and interception rate in Year N+1 was just under 0.10. : http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09stuart_qbintrates.php

I also looked at quarterback interception rates within a season and the correlation coefficient was just 0.12: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=6068

Football Outsiders notes that in recent years (and I have verified this), the CC is actually negative, indicating the higher your INT rate in one year the lower your INT rate the next year: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/adjusted-interceptions-2011 (This is obviously just a random effect in a small sample size, but still shows how random INTs are)

Jason Lisk examined 48 quarterbacks who switched teams, and found the correlation coefficient for interception rates for those quarterbacks in Year N and Year N+1 was 0.10, the lowest among the five metrics he examined: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4152

Do you know who leads the league in INT rate? It's Tony Romo, who had the 4th best INT rate last year.

Anyway, one doesn't need to do any math to realize how random interceptions are. Some passes are tips, and then some get intercepted and some don't. Sometimes a QB throws a bad pass and the receiver plays DB and prevents an INT, and sometimes he doesn't. Defensive players get balls thrown at them frequently, but often drop them. There is so much randomness that is involved in most interceptions, and when you couple that with them being a relatively rare event, and yes, everyone should realize that interceptions are the most random QB stat.

I'm a cautious Smith supporter. I've had my ups and downs with him, but right now think he's better than most people give him credit for.

Re: Interceptions being the most random stat... yes. No one's claiming it to be 'purely random'. But there are many interceptions that happen from tipped balls, or balls that receivers batted up in the air. And if for no other reason, when you are talking about a data point with 5 to 20 instances (interceptions), vs. several hundred (attempts and completions), with the smaller sample size you're going to wind up with more variability and less statistical confidence.

But most importantly I've learned on this board to trust Chase Stuart when he contributes something about statistics... :thumbup:

Ints may be random but Smith's ratio dating back to last year is pretty darn good and is getting to the point where there's enough of a sample size to give it some credit.

'Chase Stuart said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
Honestly the Smith love is getting ridiculous.

He is averaging 6.2 net yards per pass attempt, which is actually a hair below league average. Literally the only impressive thing about his performance is his low INT rate, which is the most random of all QB statistics. He's basically putting up Damon Huard 2006 numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuarDa00.htm
No doubt Smith has been really impressive this year. But are you really arguing that interceptions aren't the most random of all QB statistics?

INTs/Att are pretty clearly more random than CMPs/ATT, YDs/ATT, SKs/ATT and TDs/ATT.

In this post, I looked at 365 quarterbacks from 1990 to 2008 and noted that the correlation coefficient between interception rate in Year N and interception rate in Year N+1 was just under 0.10. : http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09stuart_qbintrates.php

I also looked at quarterback interception rates within a season and the correlation coefficient was just 0.12: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=6068

Football Outsiders notes that in recent years (and I have verified this), the CC is actually negative, indicating the higher your INT rate in one year the lower your INT rate the next year: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/adjusted-interceptions-2011 (This is obviously just a random effect in a small sample size, but still shows how random INTs are)

Jason Lisk examined 48 quarterbacks who switched teams, and found the correlation coefficient for interception rates for those quarterbacks in Year N and Year N+1 was 0.10, the lowest among the five metrics he examined: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4152

Do you know who leads the league in INT rate? It's Tony Romo, who had the 4th best INT rate last year.

Anyway, one doesn't need to do any math to realize how random interceptions are. Some passes are tips, and then some get intercepted and some don't. Sometimes a QB throws a bad pass and the receiver plays DB and prevents an INT, and sometimes he doesn't. Defensive players get balls thrown at them frequently, but often drop them. There is so much randomness that is involved in most interceptions, and when you couple that with them being a relatively rare event, and yes, everyone should realize that interceptions are the most random QB stat.
Fair enough. I'll admit interceptions are less predictable than touchdowns, completion percent, and yards per attempt. That still doesn't mean it's a completely unpredictable number (which you seemed to push). Some guys are more cautious with the football. Some guys are reckless/aggressive/stupid. While I won't throw Alex Smith into the elite qb tier, I will say he's very good at not turning the football over. His lack of interceptions isn't a fluke. Whether he's too careful at times is something many SF fans will argue over but he makes damn sure he doesn't put himself into positions to throw picks.

Is it just me or is Alex Smith underrated at the moment? There is certainly some negative narratives out there, some established "facts" about him, with his "noodle arm" and him being viewed as a very cautious QB who does not take any risks. Checking across all the more important dynasty rankings he is currently in the QB #22-24 range across all sites. He is being ranked behind guys like EJ Manuel, Sam Bradford, Jake Locker and Joe Flacco.

- In weeks 1-16 he was the #10 scoring QB last season. In points per game for the season he was #13.

- In the PFF projections for 2014 they have him as #13 so I don't think anyone expexts his numbers to drop for next season.

- He is 29 years old and should have a lot of years left to play.

- He is not necessarily considered as an athletic QB but he had the sixth most QB rushing yards last season.

- The Chiefs opened up with a cautious passing game with Smith still learning a new offense, but they opened up the passing game in the latter half of the season:

"It was our first year in the offense. We didn't turn the ball over, we were opportunistic in the red zone, but yes we didn't really have the entire playbook at hand, and that's to be expected in the first year with a lot of new faces," he said. "So as the year went on and we got more comfortable and coach Reid got more comfortable with us and his staff, he started to trust us with more and we showed that we could handle it. By the end, I was feeling really good about things."

- In his final eight games of the regular season he threw 16 TDs.

- In the playoffs everyone went mental over Luck's performance as he rallied to a crazy win, but few people talked about Alex Smith being the best QB on the field that day with 378 passing yards, 57 rushing yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs in that game. Pretty good for a noodle arm.

I'm not saying that Alex Smith is suddenly a strong QB1 but I think his current market value and dynasty ranking as a borderline QB2/QB3 is very, very low and he must be one of the premier buy-low QBs at the moment - particularly in deeper leagues. I only play in deep IDP leagues so a cheap QB who performs at bordeline QB1 numbers allows me to load up in other areas, or have a second QB in the same range and play matchups.

I agree, but at the same time he's not my QB2 of choice. He finished QB14 by FBG scoring in PPG last year, ahead of Ryan, Kaepernick, and Brady. I'd rather have Tannehill this year for upside as my QB2, but Smith will certainly suffice. I actually took him as QB21 in PDSL and he was QB19 by ADP in the WSL drafts. He's a good deal there, but at the same time it would be hard to argue taking him above the guys taken before him. Would you take him over any of these guys? Looking at this list, I think Ben is the best value pick out of all of them.

1 Peyton Manning
2 Drew Brees
3 Aaron Rodgers
4 Cam Newton
5 Matthew Stafford
6 Andrew Luck
7 Matt Ryan
8 Nick Foles
9 Tom Brady
10 Russell Wilson
11 Philip Rivers
12 Tony Romo
13 Jay Cutler
14 Colin KaepernickSF
15 Robert Griffin
16 Andy Dalton
17 Ryan Tannehill
18 B Roethlisberger
19 Alex D. Smith

I love Smith this year and actually loved him last year as well. I'm not sure if he will provide the amount of value he did last season but I'm confident he will still be a good value. He's one of the few guys who can easily be drafted as a QB2 and give you legit QB1 potential IMO. Better yet, he is probably going to be drafted at the end of the QB2 list. If KC upgrades their WR/weapons this year then he could be even better than last year. He's a great fit in the Reid offense and that isn't going to change.

I agree, but at the same time he's not my QB2 of choice. He finished QB14 by FBG scoring in PPG last year, ahead of Ryan, Kaepernick, and Brady. I'd rather have Tannehill this year for upside as my QB2, but Smith will certainly suffice. I actually took him as QB21 in PDSL and he was QB19 by ADP in the WSL drafts. He's a good deal there, but at the same time it would be hard to argue taking him above the guys taken before him. Would you take him over any of these guys? Looking at this list, I think Ben is the best value pick out of all of them.

1 Peyton Manning

2 Drew Brees

3 Aaron Rodgers

4 Cam Newton

5 Matthew Stafford

6 Andrew Luck

7 Matt Ryan

8 Nick Foles

9 Tom Brady

10 Russell Wilson

11 Philip Rivers

12 Tony Romo

13 Jay Cutler

14 Colin KaepernickSF

15 Robert Griffin

16 Andy Dalton

17 Ryan Tannehill

18 B Roethlisberger

19 Alex D. Smith
Personally I have Tannehill around QB #13-14 so I'm not going to disagree with you there. I think Tannehill is another QB where most people haven't realized how good he has been and how good he can be. You and I discussed Tannehill a few months ago in the "Tannehill's upside" post.

But to answer your question...would I draft Alex Smith in a dynasty startup above any of the QBs you listed? Maybe not. Would I trade any of those QBs straight up for Alex Smith? No. But I would try to trade some of those QBs for Alex Smith + additional value. As long as we're talking deep dynasty leagues I would look to sell Dalton (expecting lower production), Rivers (expecting lower production), Wilson (system), Brady (age), Peyton (age), Romo (perceived value) and Cutler (perceived value), and I would look to trade for QBs like Alex Smith, RGIII and Tannehill since I feel they are currently being valued too low. I even find Sam Bradford interesting as a backup flier. He is dirt cheap but had QB #12 numbers before he was injured last season and they just keep getting weapons for him. I am not saying that Alex Smith is more valuable as a fantasy asset than Brady, but relative to their current value I'd rather have Alex Smith. If I'm in a contract $1000 salary cap league I'd much rather have Alex Smith at $15 instead of Brady at $80. But these choices would also be affected by my situation, i.e. in a rebuild I would rotate towards someone like Alex Smith and spend my dollars elsewhere, but in win-now-mode I would hang on to QBs like Brady and Peyton.

Oh that's my bad. I totally glossed over this being about dynasty. I was simply referencing the WSL adp for 2014.

Rotoworld:

According to the NFL Network, the Chiefs will consider taking a quarterback in the first round of Thursday's draft.
Ian Rapoport reports extension negotiations with Alex Smith "aren't progressing well," so the Chiefs are keeping their options open at No. 23 overall. It's a wise leak to gain leverage in negotiations. Extending Smith could cost as much as $14-$17 million annually, while the cost to keep a first-round quarterback under club control for the next five seasons would be incredibly team-friendly. Smith, who turns 30 years old Wednesday, is entering the final year of his current contract. The Chiefs are putting the squeeze on his agents.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Kansas City Chiefs consider drafting QB in first roundBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Add the Kansas City Chiefs to the list of teams who could be in the market for a quarterback Thursday at the NFL draft.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that contract negotiations with Alex Smith aren't progressing well, leading the team to consider selecting a quarterback in the first round, according to sources familiar with Smith's situation.

Smith turns 30 on Wednesday and will be a free agent after the season. The quarterback certainly proved his worth in his first season with Andy Reid: The Chiefs had as good an offense as any team in football in the season's final two months.

The Chiefs select 23rd overall in the first round. They don't pick again until the third round, giving them only one selection in the draft's first 86 picks.

The Chiefs surely don't want to have to use that pick on a position in which they had finally found some stability. Smith certainly doesn't want young competition at his door (he's been down that road).

This feels like a stern message to Smith and his agent that the Chiefs aren't going to be held hostage in negotiations.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down draft news and rumors and plays the popular prediction game, "Go Get My Lunch!"

Users who are viewing this thread