Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hang 10

Which Tablet has the Most/Best Features?

240 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a 10.1" wifi tablet with a USB port so I can plug in my verizon USB key. Has anyone done anything like this? I don't want to buy a tablet with 3g because I'm already paying for the internet access with my verizon USB key. Right now I'm leaning towards the samsung galaxy but i'm wondering if it has the capability to run the verizon software needed for the USB key and verizon hasn't been very helpful with this info.

thanks

I'm looking for a 10.1" wifi tablet with a USB port so I can plug in my verizon USB key. Has anyone done anything like this? I don't want to buy a tablet with 3g because I'm already paying for the internet access with my verizon USB key. Right now I'm leaning towards the samsung galaxy but i'm wondering if it has the capability to run the verizon software needed for the USB key and verizon hasn't been very helpful with this info.thanks

I have the Toshiba Thrive and have been very impressed with it. Has full size USB, micro USB, full size HDMI and full size SD card. It's thicker than the ipad, but other than that, I absolutely love it. I assume it's compatible with your verizon USB key, but I don't know for sure...obviously a quick search would uncover.http://us.toshiba.com/tablets/thrive/10-inch/

I'm looking for a 10.1" wifi tablet with a USB port so I can plug in my verizon USB key. Has anyone done anything like this? I don't want to buy a tablet with 3g because I'm already paying for the internet access with my verizon USB key. Right now I'm leaning towards the samsung galaxy but i'm wondering if it has the capability to run the verizon software needed for the USB key and verizon hasn't been very helpful with this info.thanks

I have the Toshiba Thrive and have been very impressed with it. Has full size USB, micro USB, full size HDMI and full size SD card. It's thicker than the ipad, but other than that, I absolutely love it. I assume it's compatible with your verizon USB key, but I don't know for sure...obviously a quick search would uncover.http://us.toshiba.com/tablets/thrive/10-inch/
Not compatible but looks like the leader in the clubhouse right now....it doesn't seem that any are compatible with the USB key.

Not compatible but looks like the leader in the clubhouse right now....it doesn't seem that any are compatible with the USB key.
You'll probably need to wait for the Windows 8 version of the Prime to use the key.The Thrive is good if you don't want the dock and don't mind a little heavier tablet. The Prime is a lot faster though but doesn't have the connections built in without the dock.

No current tablet on the market will replace your PC. You're better off getting a netbook or small laptop if that's what you're aiming to do.

Tablets are for people who text. Netbooks/laptops are for people who type.

That said, I'd love to have a netbook with a touchscreen and GPS at a good price point.

I plan on selling the Prime and buying Asus' Windows 8 tablet. Ideally, I'd like to get a 13" version of the Prime running Windows 8.

They would probably never make it but I'd also love a 13" version of the Dell duo.

there's a lot i love about the prime, but its nowhere near ready to replace even the most basic biz laptop.

anyone who's looking for a tablet to be their main weapon of choice should wait a year or two

I still believe we're in the infancy of these products. Really they are all limited in some way - and I love the Prime. The Windows 8 Prime with the dock should be a business winner. The Tegra 3 is powerful (easily plays 720p MKV's which the Tegra 2 could not), but I was disappointed that it's not as powerful as a Core 2 Duo T7200 that Nvidia originally claimed (they used an OC'ed Tegra 3 vs. a de-optimized T7200).
Yep, totally agree that we're still in the early adopter phase. Which means dealing with all the annoyances and inconveniences that come along with that

my main beef with the prime and really all tablets right now, is that the apps, widgets, and even core programs don't "act right". they still behave like they're on a mobile device. i.e. browsers that force you to a mobile site (ahem firefox), apps that open in portrait even with the tablet dock connected, etc.

I still havent found a browser that works for me. I use stock (Chrome) for quick browsing, Firefox for my biz website, and dolphin for any in depth web use as it seems to be the fastest

Then the dock is connected, these things needs to act and feel like a mini laptop

For those who picked up a Transformer Prime, how the heck are you toting this thing around?

I got the dock which makes it too big for tablet sleeves. but it's way to small for a normal laptop bag.

And i'm trying to avoid the European Hand Bag look of most Prime cases i've seen (NTTAWWT)

I just bought this one. Has a small section in front for a mouse/charger/whatever. If you don't care about that pouch and want to save a litte money, another option is this. I found out about them on some random Transformer Prime forum where people tested these sleeves with the tablet + dock. I should be getting mine on Wednesday ... I'm assuming it will fit :)

I haven't tried the minisuit, but the tablet looks kind of bulky with it. Could be completely wrong though...

Ok kinda skimmed over this thread so forgive me if this was mentioned before.

I was thinking of getting an iPad which is a little more money, but it can be "jailbroken" which will give me a lot of apps for free.

For those who picked up a Transformer Prime, how the heck are you toting this thing around?

I got the dock which makes it too big for tablet sleeves. but it's way to small for a normal laptop bag.

And i'm trying to avoid the European Hand Bag look of most Prime cases i've seen (NTTAWWT)

I just bought this one. Has a small section in front for a mouse/charger/whatever. If you don't care about that pouch and want to save a litte money, another option is this. I found out about them on some random Transformer Prime forum where people tested these sleeves with the tablet + dock. I should be getting mine on Wednesday ... I'm assuming it will fit :)

I haven't tried the minisuit, but the tablet looks kind of bulky with it. Could be completely wrong though...

I ordered the Poetic case instead of the Minisuit since they look identical. I don't care about the bulkiness of it.

ipad 2/end thread

:lol:

ipad 2/end thread

No thanks, I'll take my Toshiba Thrive over that piece of crap. Want to use a USB device or HDMI port right out of the box? Apple can't do that...Not to mention, flash support? I know that flash is supposedly going the way of the dinosaur, but there are still quite a few sites out there that rely on it. Good luck doing that on your iPad.

ipad 2/end thread

No thanks, I'll take my Toshiba Thrive over that piece of crap. Want to use a USB device or HDMI port right out of the box? Apple can't do that...Not to mention, flash support? I know that flash is supposedly going the way of the dinosaur, but there are still quite a few sites out there that rely on it. Good luck doing that on your iPad.
Welp, there goes this thread...Seriously though, Toshiba Thrive is probably what I would buy if I was in the market today. Recommend waiting for some of the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) tablets to come out later this spring/summer though, as it should cause this generation to come down in price, and many in this generation can still run ICS (whether "officially" or not is another story.)

i would like to buy one of these but haven't really read the thread.. what is ice cream sandwich? and which models are tegra 3 right now?

i would like to buy one of these but haven't really read the thread.. what is ice cream sandwich? and which models are tegra 3 right now?

The newest Android version and the Transformer Prime.

The Prime dock is sold out but this site has it for $119 with them arriving 4/9.

I'm not the most tech savvy individual, but i've been very impressed with my Thrive and its features. A little heavier but not hard to handle at all.

would you buy a thrive over a tegra 3 tablet though?Not compatible but looks like the leader in the clubhouse right now....it doesn't seem that any are compatible with the USB key.
I'm not the most tech savvy individual, but i've been very impressed with my Thrive and its features. A little heavier but not hard to handle at all.

The Thrive is good - it was a toss-up for me between the Transformer 1 and the Thrive. The Tegra 3 in the Prime puts it over the top of the Thrive though. The lack of 720p playback on the TF1/Thrive was a big negative for me. At only $100 more for the Prime I think it's a much better purchase than the Thrive right now.

I started out in with the iPad in July 2010 and followed that up with the Xoom in February 2011. I used it the rest of 2011 except for August and September when I used the iPad 2, then I went back to the Xoom for October and most of November. Back in November I got the Transformer on Black Friday for the $400 with dock. I just placed my order the the Transformer Prime yesterday.

I have short stints with the Galaxy and the Thrive, and for only 3 days played with a Amazon Fire.

I didn't like my iPad 1.

The Xoom was a huge improvement over the OG iPad, but it was too bulky.

The iPad 2 was a better feel than the Xoom, but I am not a fan of the iPad screen ratio.

I love my Transformer (OG) and the experience alone of that device is why I am buying the improved upon device.

The Galaxy and the Thrive, for me, didn't live up to the Transformer but thought they were both better than the Xoom.

My Wife and Kids didn't want the iPads so we sold them on eBay. My wife still thinks the Xoom feels the most secure for her (read bulky and she isn't afraid to drop it).

My girls are currently using the Galaxy and Thrive, though my eldest wants my Transformer when my new one comes.

2011 was a fun year for tablets, hoping 2012 will give us as much improvement as we had from '10 to '11

Well, fwiw I am now running a beta version of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my Notion Ink Adam. While I would still consider my purchase of this ill-advised and premature, it is nice to see that there is some support. Much of the actual work has been done by a volunteers, but Notion Ink has been supporting and assisting them. It runs pretty good, too. Couple issues with a few apps that either aren't ready for ICS or aren't quite compatible with this build, but most everything has been very smooth so far. Probably the simplest install I've done to date on any of my Android devices as well, so that is a plus.

I started out in with the iPad in July 2010 and followed that up with the Xoom in February 2011. I used it the rest of 2011 except for August and September when I used the iPad 2, then I went back to the Xoom for October and most of November. Back in November I got the Transformer on Black Friday for the $400 with dock. I just placed my order the the Transformer Prime yesterday. I have short stints with the Galaxy and the Thrive, and for only 3 days played with a Amazon Fire.I didn't like my iPad 1.The Xoom was a huge improvement over the OG iPad, but it was too bulky.The iPad 2 was a better feel than the Xoom, but I am not a fan of the iPad screen ratio.I love my Transformer (OG) and the experience alone of that device is why I am buying the improved upon device.The Galaxy and the Thrive, for me, didn't live up to the Transformer but thought they were both better than the Xoom.My Wife and Kids didn't want the iPads so we sold them on eBay. My wife still thinks the Xoom feels the most secure for her (read bulky and she isn't afraid to drop it).My girls are currently using the Galaxy and Thrive, though my eldest wants my Transformer when my new one comes.2011 was a fun year for tablets, hoping 2012 will give us as much improvement as we had from '10 to '11

thanks for the review, but are you telling me you've spent thousands bouncing around from tablet to tablet? do you get these through work or something? are you loaded?this seems like an exercise in insanity... setting up all those units? hours of time.man... i like to get one thing, customize it perfectly and then run it into the ground

I started out in with the iPad in July 2010 and followed that up with the Xoom in February 2011. I used it the rest of 2011 except for August and September when I used the iPad 2, then I went back to the Xoom for October and most of November. Back in November I got the Transformer on Black Friday for the $400 with dock. I just placed my order the the Transformer Prime yesterday. I have short stints with the Galaxy and the Thrive, and for only 3 days played with a Amazon Fire.I didn't like my iPad 1.The Xoom was a huge improvement over the OG iPad, but it was too bulky.The iPad 2 was a better feel than the Xoom, but I am not a fan of the iPad screen ratio.I love my Transformer (OG) and the experience alone of that device is why I am buying the improved upon device.The Galaxy and the Thrive, for me, didn't live up to the Transformer but thought they were both better than the Xoom.My Wife and Kids didn't want the iPads so we sold them on eBay. My wife still thinks the Xoom feels the most secure for her (read bulky and she isn't afraid to drop it).My girls are currently using the Galaxy and Thrive, though my eldest wants my Transformer when my new one comes.2011 was a fun year for tablets, hoping 2012 will give us as much improvement as we had from '10 to '11

thanks for the review, but are you telling me you've spent thousands bouncing around from tablet to tablet? do you get these through work or something? are you loaded?this seems like an exercise in insanity... setting up all those units? hours of time.man... i like to get one thing, customize it perfectly and then run it into the ground
He may have dropped a couple of grand on tablets but it also sounds like they are being used by four different people in his family. I think one of the selling points of ios/android is it's pretty easy to synchronize a new machine because the applications are so much smaller.The most surprising part of the post to me was the fact his wife seemed to really like the xoom.I'm always surprised more people don't bring up the screen ratio of the ipads. I've thought that was a drawback since it was launched.

These things tend to have good resale right now so I don't think the loss selling them is that much. The time is an issue but some people love messing around with new devices.

Well, fwiw I am now running a beta version of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my Notion Ink Adam. While I would still consider my purchase of this ill-advised and premature, it is nice to see that there is some support. Much of the actual work has been done by a volunteers, but Notion Ink has been supporting and assisting them. It runs pretty good, too. Couple issues with a few apps that either aren't ready for ICS or aren't quite compatible with this build, but most everything has been very smooth so far. Probably the simplest install I've done to date on any of my Android devices as well, so that is a plus.

I saw some guy using this Wacom tablet that runs like three grand....incredible. So big and it weighed plenty but not anywhere near what I expected. Best picture one could probably imagine and he was drawing on it in such a smooth normal fashion. If that's the ferrari of tablets, when's that technology hit these smaller ones we all have? I did notice windows 7 and the computer OS versus Android or IOS seems better especially since you can download android and install it and all to run apps and such.It was this onehttp://wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq24HD.aspxAs soon as I could get a moment's peace I was googling it. Seeing the 16% restocking fee makes me figure plenty of people were impulsive here so they initiated that rule.What do you think?Serious Q-How hard would it be to dismantle a stand on an all-in-one and add a battery? http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/desktop-computers/product-prod3610124?cm_mmc=Googlepla-_-Technology-_-Computers-_-Desktop%20Computers&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23178927&gclid=CJDP0Z3zsq4CFQReTAod8FT4Qg These I've been finding for $500 lately and they look like a big tablet on a stand to start with.Seems pretty easy no?

I saw some guy using this Wacom tablet that runs like three grand....incredible. So big and it weighed plenty but not anywhere near what I expected. Best picture one could probably imagine and he was drawing on it in such a smooth normal fashion.

If that's the ferrari of tablets, when's that technology hit these smaller ones we all have?

I did notice windows 7 and the computer OS versus Android or IOS seems better especially since you can download android and install it and all to run apps and such.

It was this one

http://wacom.com/en/...Cintiq24HD.aspx

As soon as I could get a moment's peace I was googling it. Seeing the 16% restocking fee makes me figure plenty of people were impulsive here so they initiated that rule.

What do you think?

Serious Q-How hard would it be to dismantle a stand on an all-in-one and add a battery?

http://www.officemax...CFQReTAod8FT4Qg

These I've been finding for $500 lately and they look like a big tablet on a stand to start with.

Seems pretty easy no?

Last question first, the HP is going be too heavy to be portable. It has all the normal computer guts behind the screen, and would suck batteries dry extremely quickly.

The Wacom tablets seem to be very specialized. I see the appeal and can see how they would be great particularly for design professionals, but for the average joe a regular Android or Apple tablet is probably a better buy.

I saw some guy using this Wacom tablet that runs like three grand....incredible. So big and it weighed plenty but not anywhere near what I expected. Best picture one could probably imagine and he was drawing on it in such a smooth normal fashion.

If that's the ferrari of tablets, when's that technology hit these smaller ones we all have?

I did notice windows 7 and the computer OS versus Android or IOS seems better especially since you can download android and install it and all to run apps and such.

It was this one

http://wacom.com/en/...Cintiq24HD.aspx

As soon as I could get a moment's peace I was googling it. Seeing the 16% restocking fee makes me figure plenty of people were impulsive here so they initiated that rule.

What do you think?

Serious Q-How hard would it be to dismantle a stand on an all-in-one and add a battery?

http://www.officemax...CFQReTAod8FT4Qg

These I've been finding for $500 lately and they look like a big tablet on a stand to start with.

Seems pretty easy no?

Last question first, the HP is going be too heavy to be portable. It has all the normal computer guts behind the screen, and would suck batteries dry extremely quickly.

The Wacom tablets seem to be very specialized. I see the appeal and can see how they would be great particularly for design professionals, but for the average joe a regular Android or Apple tablet is probably a better buy.

The Wacom isn't a tablet, it is a monitor that you can draw directly on. But it isn't a stand-alone tablet, it runs off of a separate computer system.

ETA: What Wacom calls a tablet is different from the now common "post iPad" definition of a tablet. Wacom tablets are drawing pads, not slate computers.

what is the difference between these tablets and a "slate" computer other than the huge cost difference?

i looks like a slate is more like a real computer than a big smartphone...

I ordered the Poetic case instead of the Minisuit since they look identical. I don't care about the bulkiness of it.

ended up with THIS I hate how it looks like a European Man Purse (NTTAWWT) but it gets the job done. I just wear it slung diagonally over my back

what is the difference between these tablets and a "slate" computer other than the huge cost difference?i looks like a slate is more like a real computer than a big smartphone...

:confused: AFAIK, tablet and slate are both generic terms for the same class of devices. Microsoft has taken to promoting their upcoming entries as "slates" because tablets have become synonymous with the iPad. It's an attempt to create differentiation for themselves in a market owned by others.

what is the difference between these tablets and a "slate" computer other than the huge cost difference?i looks like a slate is more like a real computer than a big smartphone...

:confused: AFAIK, tablet and slate are both generic terms for the same class of devices. Microsoft has taken to promoting their upcoming entries as "slates" because tablets have become synonymous with the iPad. It's an attempt to create differentiation for themselves in a market owned by others.
I disagree, the differentiation they are attempting to make is more than just the name. I think the slates are meant to bridge the gap between the high end tablets and the ultrabooks but in typical Microsoft fashion they completely miss the point of "mobile" by having worse battery life than either. I'd call it a worst-of-both-worlds device. The only market for the slates are people that really, REALLY need that extra 2" of screen space, have to have a touch screen, and feel they can't function without running windows. I don't give Jobs a lot of credit but I do think he had it right in terms of taking a simple OS and growing it upward rather than the Microsoft model which has always been the idea of taking a desktop OS and trying to squeeze it into devices that barely have enough resources to run windows without the applications which are the point of having the device in the first place.

I disagree, the differentiation they are attempting to make is more than just the name. I think the slates are meant to bridge the gap between the high end tablets and the ultrabooks but in typical Microsoft fashion they completely miss the point of "mobile" by having worse battery life than either. I'd call it a worst-of-both-worlds device. The only market for the slates are people that really, REALLY need that extra 2" of screen space, have to have a touch screen, and feel they can't function without running windows. I don't give Jobs a lot of credit but I do think he had it right in terms of taking a simple OS and growing it upward rather than the Microsoft model which has always been the idea of taking a desktop OS and trying to squeeze it into devices that barely have enough resources to run windows without the applications which are the point of having the device in the first place.
When you look past the marketing spin, they are still tablets. Yes, Microsoft is attempting to position them differently, trying to create the perception that what they doing is trailblazing a completely new product category rather than being seen as three years late to Apple's party. They may be trying to hit a market segment between the iPad and the desktop, but they are still tablets.Look at the Kindle Fire. Smaller screen, different audience, still a tablet. :shrug:

Still loving my original ASUS Transformer. There is not one thing my laptop can do that my TF can't do with the docking station. I travel a lot for work and from playing games, reading books, watching movies to doing actual work it's a must have!

I know people love their iPads but when you put it up against another high end android device there's no contest. Android wins hands down on everything including price.

I know people love their iPads but when you put it up against another high end android device there's no contest. Android wins hands down on everything including price.

Not support. I don't think that explains the difference in price, though and their profit margin kind of supports that. It's interesting that so many people that purchase apple products point to their earnings as a source of pride - it would seem to me it only underlines how much they are getting gouged on each purchase.

Do people love their Primes? Does anybody have the docking station yet?

I'm very happy with the Prime but I'm still waiting for the dock to get in stock.

Not support. I don't think that explains the difference in price, though and their profit margin kind of supports that. It's interesting that so many people that purchase apple products point to their earnings as a source of pride - it would seem to me it only underlines how much they are getting gouged on each purchase.
The part you left out is that so many Apple users are so happy with their products that they buy stock in the company itself. So while you may think I got "gouged" on a $500 iPad, I just laugh because my profits from Apple have paid for my iPad many times over.

So yes, Apple made 40% profit off of my iPad purchase. I have made 3800% profit from their stock. Tell me how I'm getting gouged again.

The part you left out is that so many Apple users are so happy with their products that they buy stock in the company itself. So while you may think I got "gouged" on a $500 iPad, I just laugh because my profits from Apple have paid for my iPad many times over.

So yes, Apple made 40% profit off of my iPad purchase. I have made 3800% profit from their stock. Tell me how I'm getting gouged again.

Link on the ratio of Apple users to Apple stock owners please

Same link that shows the percentage of Apple users that care about Apple's earnings. Here's a hint: the ones that are happy with the earnings are the ones that own the stock.

Now lets talk about all the Android users that brag about Android market share. Do they get a percentage of every handset sold?

ETA: For fun, which do you think is higher: the percentage of Apple users that own stock in Apple or the percentage of Android users that own stock in Google? :popcorn:

Same link that shows the percentage of Apple users that care about Apple's earnings. Here's a hint: the ones that are happy with the earnings are the ones that own the stock.

Now lets talk about all the Android users that brag about Android market share. Do they get a percentage of every handset sold?

So many is what % of Apple users actually own Apple stock?