What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin McCarthy (1 Viewer)

mchunter24

Footballguy
Breakout game for him after solid production last week filling in for Ruud. Did Ruud reinjure himself in this game? Is McCarthy a starter even with Ruud back in the middle?

Ruud did re-injure his hamstring and McCarthy advantage of it again. I'm trying to pickup McCarthy as I have Ruud, but can't drop anyone as of yet. Dude looked pretty quick to the ball. I would get him if I was you.

If Ruud is out obviously he will start. Otherwise I would assume he goes to the bench. Witherspoon and McRath are pretty entrenched IMO.

But he is a stash for next year, provided that his tackles are closer to the line of scrimmage than Ruuds have been

But he is a stash for next year, provided that his tackles are closer to the line of scrimmage than Ruuds have been
NFL injury report has him not practicing and questionable any other word on his status.
He's going to start via one of the beat writers on Twitter.. Ruud was ruled out today. If I see the link again, I'll post it.
Thanks, that seam's to be the general feel from what I've heard.Another source said he returned to practice today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy does this kid play with some energy or what?! Every single tackle he makes he's jumping around like Ray Lewis, crossing his arms and getting in the face of whoever he's just tackled.

Has great pace, but almost seems that he needs to let the game come to him at times rather than just making a beeline for the ball every play.

Wow... so happy about this kid. I picked him up to replace Bishop for the week. It's like replacing Desmond Bishop with Desmond Bishop. Fantastic, not even sure what more can be said.

I think we've probably seen the last of Ruud on the field for Tennessee. Just a gut feel.

He only signed a one year deal, is being criminally outplayed by McCarthy now(even when healthy Ruud hasn't looked near as good as McCarthy has) and they have a built in "excuse" for keeping him shelved(the groin injury). At this point, unless that groin is, like, 150% healed I see no reason why they would rush to re-insert Ruud into the starting lineup.

Well, since we are not sure about Ruud's return and the impact, is Jamar Chaney a better pickup for weeks 14-16?

McCarthy has been playing like one of the better LBs in the league these past few weeks. I highly doubt Ruud comes back this season as the starter short of a McCarthy injury.

He looked great. Not to turn this question into an AC thread, but where do you rank him heading into the offseason? Do you think he's an LB1 type guy in Dynasty leagues? The comparison above to Bishop seems appropriate to this as well, Bishop really came on at the end of the year last year and has been great all season, I personally think McCarthy is in that same boat.

He looked great. Not to turn this question into an AC thread, but where do you rank him heading into the offseason? Do you think he's an LB1 type guy in Dynasty leagues? The comparison above to Bishop seems appropriate to this as well, Bishop really came on at the end of the year last year and has been great all season, I personally think McCarthy is in that same boat.
Wasn't so much that Bishop came on late... I remember last season I picked him up in Week 5? Right after Barnett's injury. He was a LB2+ from that point forward. I'd guess McCarthy is in the same boat, so far though these last three games he's put up better games than Bishop ever did last season. The only game I'd guess was the game last year where Bishop had a pick 6 on a MNF vs the Vikes (if I recall correctly). McCarthy looks like one of those IDP pickups that could be one of the reasons you get a title. Even with bad(ish) matchups at NO, Indy and Jax in the playoffs. Not really counting NO as I'll have a bye next week but Indy and Jax to my knowledge are some of the worst matchups in the league.

Is he worth dropping Dansby for? Burnett seems to have really come on the past handful of games.
If any solid info came out that Ruud is done and/or McCarthy is in for the rest of the year, I wouldn't think twice about it. I know his matchups are very bad over the next few weeks. But, anyone that has had a chance to see him play, not just his box-scores, would probably agree with me. He is all over the field making plays and coming close to making other big plays that don't show up in the box-score. I think he is a must start at this point. I have been starting him over Urlacher, Butler, Timmons, and Hawthorne the last couple of weeks and will not pull him out unless things change over there.

Is he worth dropping Dansby for? Burnett seems to have really come on the past handful of games.
If any solid info came out that Ruud is done and/or McCarthy is in for the rest of the year, I wouldn't think twice about it. I know his matchups are very bad over the next few weeks. But, anyone that has had a chance to see him play, not just his box-scores, would probably agree with me. He is all over the field making plays and coming close to making other big plays that don't show up in the box-score. I think he is a must start at this point. I have been starting him over Urlacher, Butler, Timmons, and Hawthorne the last couple of weeks and will not pull him out unless things change over there.
Thanks for the response. I will make sure to watch the Titans practice reports closely.

Per Rotoworld: The Titans are considering shutting down MLB Barrett Ruud (groin) for the season.

Rookie Colin McCarthy will start the rest of the way and has emerged as the Titans' middle linebacker of the future. Ruud has barely played since Week 9. Dec 12 - 5:15 PM

But a week 15 matchup with the Colts. Not sure if I can start him against Indy with some other quality options.

I saw the same thing regarding Indy, is it just they are so bad on offense they dont run a high number of plays per game, thus limiting tackle numbers?

I have Weatherspoon v JAX and Von Miller v NE I have to consider this week, and thats ONLY IF Willis will play Monday night, and if the week long reports all say he will, otherwise, Miller and Spoon appear to be my "safest" options. If there is any doubt, I cant take a zero from my LB1 spot. And Willis should post decent to great numbers vs Pitts, if he plays.

I saw the same thing regarding Indy, is it just they are so bad on offense they dont run a high number of plays per game, thus limiting tackle numbers?
It's definitely on the less favorable side.The Indy offense is...

32nd in tackle opportunity allowed (43.4 vs league average 50.0)

32nd in rush attempts (22.6 vs league average 27.2)

Tennessee's defense has seen...

3rd most tackle opportunity (54.5)

12th most rush attempts (28.4)

Best LB (on paper) in last four games:

W10 (home) Paul Posluszny 2-4-0.5, PD/INT

W12 (home) James Anderson 3-7

W13 (away) Jerod Mayo 2-5, 2 PD

W14 (away) Jameel McClain 6-2

The game is in Indianapolis, which routinely awards two assisted tackles on most plays. If you get a decent return on assists (and possibly PD), it's still a strong matchup. However, we're much more likely to see a 2-6 line from McCarthy this week than a 7-1 or better.

thanks Jene, I will wait for projections/rankings to come out this week. Hopefully willis is ready and I need only to pick 1 more LB this week.

The Tennessee Titans placed LB Barrett Ruud (groin) on the Injured Reserve Tuesday, Dec. 13, ending his season.

Jene, would you start a guy like jerod mayo, or bowman over him this week? That's scary when you look at the last four performers. I'm in a small league so guys like mayo, Lewis, washington are available but currently have McCarthy or bowman for my last lb spot. I'm scared of mccarthy's matchup and bowmans cold streak. Should I pick up one of those guys (I know mayo plays tebow this week) I mentioned and play them. If so which one?

Rolling with McCarthy this week based on the high FBG ranking. I'm a bit nervous about it, though. He's not a playmaker and relies a lot on straight-forward tackle opportunity. I fear the JAX offense may be three-and-out all game.

Rolling with McCarthy this week based on the high FBG ranking. I'm a bit nervous about it, though. He's not a playmaker and relies a lot on straight-forward tackle opportunity. I fear the JAX offense may be three-and-out all game.
Definitely some risk with McCarthy, but the Jags had run off four straight games with over 50 tackle opportunities before last week's well below average effort and rank third in the league with over 30 rush attempts per game.

Definitely some risk with McCarthy, but the Jags had run off four straight games with over 50 tackle opportunities before last week's well below average effort and rank third in the league with over 30 rush attempts per game.
I came in here w/ the same question. Good/thoughtful reply here. Thanks.

Didn't really work out, but it's been hard to sit him.

Jene and John are absolute IDP legends, but I have to say that the IDP projections on FBG haven't hit the mark lately. Maybe that just demonstrates what a crapshoot this is sometimes.

Looked fantastic when he was on the field yesterday, but missed most of the game with a bad ankle. Might be a guy to avoid for the next few weeks. He did this last year, too. Got hurt and then was on and off the field frequently on gamedays. He is probably better off being inactive for a few games and getting fully healthy before he tries to play.

Users who are viewing this thread