What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How bad is Blaine Gabbert? (1 Viewer)

Not sure you can be an NFL quarterback and be afraid of contact like that.
Like what? Link?
Like every single game he's started for the Jaguars. He was like that in college, too, yet the Jaguars took him anyways. He's a big #####. He'd rather throw a bad, hurried pass and cover up than stand tall in the pocket under pressure and make a throw. I'm supremely confident in calling him a bust already. He doesn't pass any kind of eye test. He's woefully inaccurate, has no pocket presence whatsoever, and doesn't even make the occasional eye-popping throw that at least shows you some promise that he's got an NFL future. He's just an awful, awful, awful quarterback.

I'll hold judgement until after the first few games of the 2012 season. He's a rookie who didn't have an offseason.

Like what? Link?
Like every single game he's started for the Jaguars. He was like that in college, too, yet the Jaguars took him anyways. He's a big #####. He'd rather throw a bad, hurried pass and cover up than stand tall in the pocket under pressure and make a throw. I'm supremely confident in calling him a bust already. He doesn't pass any kind of eye test. He's woefully inaccurate, has no pocket presence whatsoever, and doesn't even make the occasional eye-popping throw that at least shows you some promise that he's got an NFL future. He's just an awful, awful, awful quarterback.
You summed it up quite well. I've never seen an NFL QB so afraid of contact. He obviously can't throw with bodies around him, and he's not particularly good in a clean pocket. I think he's the worst QB in the league, he brings nothing to the table.

Charley Casserly was touting Gabbert as the best QB in this class prior to the draft. I can't believe the NFL network was taking his opinion seriously since he couldn't figure out that David Carr was a bust 5 years after drafting him.

Merill Hoge was one of the few analyst that thought that Gabbert's poor pocket presence would hold him back. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=588749&st=0&p=13054489&hl=hoge&fromsearch=1entry13054489
Scouting isn't an exact science, as evidence by the link you touted of Hoge-- who also had a lot of concerns with Newton, who is doing well himself for a rookie. Gabbert has a ton of talent, but he is a rookie playing for a really bad team with the worst WR crew in the NFL.

10: The worst starting QB in the NFL. Nowhere near tops nationally (couldn't get into a club even if he showed up with Tebow)

'jonboltz said:
'Donnybrook said:
Charley Casserly was touting Gabbert as the best QB in this class prior to the draft. I can't believe the NFL network was taking his opinion seriously since he couldn't figure out that David Carr was a bust 5 years after drafting him.

Merill Hoge was one of the few analyst that thought that Gabbert's poor pocket presence would hold him back. http://forums.footba...
Scouting isn't an exact science, as evidence by the link you touted of Hoge-- who also had a lot of concerns with Newton, who is doing well himself for a rookie. Gabbert has a ton of talent, but he is a rookie playing for a really bad team with the worst WR crew in the NFL.
If you are getting paid to voice your opinion, you should be held accountable. Many experts had Gabbert ahead of Newton including Casserly and Mayock. Casserly went so far as saying that since Gabbert had similar combine number that Newton and Gabbert were somehow similar athleticly. Of course, they are not. Gabbert played almost exclusively in the spread in college but he was so intelligent that he was going to make a seemless transition to the pro game. I thought that was a fairy tale. Dree Brees is a pretty smart guy from a spread offense but he struggled for several years before the game slowed down for him.

He's really bad, but to his credit Jason Hill dropped the game winning touchdown today. Hit him right in the numbers, no one on him (Haden fell down).

He's worse than Colt McCoy and that's saying something, but the Jags should have won today.

'jonboltz said:
'Donnybrook said:

Merill Hoge was one of the few analyst that thought that Gabbert's poor pocket presence would hold him back. http://forums.footba...
If you are getting paid to voice your opinion, you should be held accountable. Many experts had Gabbert ahead of Newton including Casserly and Mayock. Casserly went so far as saying that since Gabbert had similar combine number that Newton and Gabbert were somehow similar athleticly. Of course, they are not. Gabbert played almost exclusively in the spread in college but he was so intelligent that he was going to make a seemless transition to the pro game. I thought that was a fairy tale. Dree Brees is a pretty smart guy from a spread offense but he struggled for several years before the game slowed down for him.
Casserole doesn't have a job for a reason.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7263999/11-things-loved-week-11

8. Blaine Gabbert The most bizarrely hilarious play of the week, though, belongs to our favorite overmatched Jags quarterback. Facing a third-and-8 from the Cleveland 9-yard line while down 14-7, the Jags drop Gabbert back to pass, but Browns end Jabaal Sheard beats right tackle Guy Whimper to blow up the play. Sheard spins Gabbert around, and in the process, Gabbert makes one of the most confusing throws we've ever seen.

Literally, the throw confuses us. What was Gabbert thinking? In what scenario is it a good idea to frantically turn toward the sideline and desperately heave a pass eight yards backwards? How can that scenario involve being in the red zone? And even if Gabbert thought that he could somehow turn the pass into a forward one, he was still in the pocket and would have been called for intentional grounding! Actually, Gabbert only lost 14 yards on the fumble and would have cost his team 15 with the intentional grounding, losing a down either way. He saved his team a yard! Maybe he deserves more credit than we thought.
link to the play :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

8. Blaine Gabbert The most bizarrely hilarious play of the week, though, belongs to our favorite overmatched Jags quarterback. Facing a third-and-8 from the Cleveland 9-yard line while down 14-7, the Jags drop Gabbert back to pass, but Browns end Jabaal Sheard beats right tackle Guy Whimper to blow up the play. Sheard spins Gabbert around, and in the process, Gabbert makes one of the most confusing throws we've ever seen.

Literally, the throw confuses us. What was Gabbert thinking? In what scenario is it a good idea to frantically turn toward the sideline and desperately heave a pass eight yards backwards? How can that scenario involve being in the red zone? And even if Gabbert thought that he could somehow turn the pass into a forward one, he was still in the pocket and would have been called for intentional grounding! Actually, Gabbert only lost 14 yards on the fumble and would have cost his team 15 with the intentional grounding, losing a down either way. He saved his team a yard! Maybe he deserves more credit than we thought.
:lmao: Oh, the poor kid.

that throw does not look like he was in the pocket....

Like what? Link?
:goodposting: This.I watched him play at Mizzou and thought he was horrible there and he had plenty of talent around him there. I've been dogging this kid all year. Cons:Zero pocket presenceInaccurateNot a leaderAfraid of contactNo fire or passion for the gameNever been a winner (not in meaningful games)Pros:Sure is prettyThis guy ducks and tucks into the fetal position at the slightest hint of pressure. He will throw a pass 20 yards over a wide open receivers head only to follow that up with throws into the dirt. He's afraid to throw deep. He's obviously not very football smart. I'm even more pissed off at Gene Smith and DelRio for trading up to draft this guy. I hope they all fail miserably so we can finally get rid of Gene Smith, DelRio, and Gabbert.

Like what? Link?
Well said. :thumbup: I have been calling him overated way before the draft. He looked awful in the bowl game against Iowa. He had nice numbers but that's only because he threw the ball 57 times. He made awful decisions and many bad throws. If he played even halfway decent during that game Missouri would have defeted Iowa.

I've never seen anyone more frightened in the pocket than Blaine Gabbert.

It's depressing.

He stinks and seems to get worse each week. If I were a jags fan, I would be worried. Scale of one to ten? 0

I think he was trying to lateral out-of-bounds, which would have stopped the clock and prevented a sack.

Like what? Link?
I'd say that's a fairly good description of what we saw in yesterday's game too.There was one play in particular where he was dumping it off to a RB, essentially a shovel-pass type play except he threw it normally. They did a nice slow mo close up. The defenders got some pressure upfield but then were stood up by the O-linemen well short of him. Gabbert plenty of time to throw, no need to move off his spot. But he visibly shied away as he threw it and ended in an incompletion. I thought he did ok when he had no pressure, but otherwise folded whenever anyone got close. And he faced a lot of pressure yesterday.

I've never seen anyone more frightened in the pocket than Blaine Gabbert. It's depressing.
He does have the 2nd highest (behind Beck) sack rate of all QBs with 100+ attempts.Through 9 starts, check these numbers out:- 2 games of 200+ yards- 0 multi-TD games- 5 of 9 under 50% completion rate- 7 of 9 under 7 yards per attemptFor comparison, take Andy Dalton through 11 starts:- 6 games of 200+ yards passing- 6 multi-TD games- 0 of 11 under 50% completion rate- 6 of 11 under 7 yards per attemptDalton is having a great season for a rookie no doubt, but it just shows the difference between Gabbert and a successful rookie.It's not encouraging, but some other recent high pick QBs (Manning, Stafford) have had just as bad rookie seasons.

so, do the jags give up a high drat pick to broncos for tebow?

gets folks in the stands at jax and elway is justified for the pick....

so, do the jags give up a high drat pick to broncos for tebow?gets folks in the stands at jax and elway is justified for the pick....
If the Jags do indeed try to trade for Tebow it wouldn't cost a high draft pick. I would guess it would cost a 4th or 5th. I don't think Tebow is going to be in Denver next year and I'm having trouble thinking of a team that would trade for him. It'll be a buyer's market for Tebow so if the Jags wanted him they could get him for cheap.

SO glad that Shanny and Allen passed on him in the draft, and turned that pick into Kerrigan and Jenkins, both of whom looked great before their injuries.

so, do the jags give up a high drat pick to broncos for tebow?gets folks in the stands at jax and elway is justified for the pick....
If the Jags do indeed try to trade for Tebow it wouldn't cost a high draft pick. I would guess it would cost a 4th or 5th. I don't think Tebow is going to be in Denver next year and I'm having trouble thinking of a team that would trade for him. It'll be a buyer's market for Tebow so if the Jags wanted him they could get him for cheap.
just was figuring on how they handled orton this year if that may be a sign where they wil just sit on someone.

This post is all kinds of wrong, so much so that I wonder if it is :fishing:To the point of the thread - gabbert is awful.

You cannot even explain how terrible this kid is. There are no words.

He just overthrew his TE by five feet. He was ten feet away.

This post is all kinds of wrong, so much so that I wonder if it is :fishing:To the point of the thread - gabbert is awful.
Instead of saying it's "all kinds of wrong" why don't you say what is wrong with it? Nothing looks too far-fetched to me. It's more than likely they don't go into next year with Tebow as their starter if they don't make the playoffs (when I posted that, it looked less likely than now). If Tebow isn't their starter next year he won't be on the team. Who would give higher than a 4th for a qusrterback that would need a team built around him? Maybe a 3rd rounder. Let me reiterate, I've been the biggest Tebow supporter on the board, I'm just calling them as I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread