What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How bad is Blaine Gabbert? (1 Viewer)

As bad as gabbert has looked just remember he actually looked worse just a few years ago in jax.  Think about that for a minute

Cardinals signed QB Blaine Gabbert to a one-year contract.
Gabbert gives the Cardinals another veteran behind Carson Palmer after Arizona got leapfrogged for Patrick Mahomes in the draft. The 49ers' starter in five games last year, Gabbert completed just 56.9 percent of his throws with an anemic 5.8 yards-per-attempt average. San Francisco lost all but one game in which Gabbert appeared. He was eventually benched for Colin Kaepernick. In Arizona, Gabbert will compete with Drew Stanton for backup duties.

May 10 - 7:25 PM

I really like the Cardinals' upper management, but I have no idea why they are so reluctant to secure the backup QB spot with a good young prospect. It makes no sense.

I'm just talking, I wouldn't add him and I wouldn't suggest anyone do so. But I'm curious how Gabbert does this week. AZ, with David Johnson, with Palmer, was actually a good team, or could have been. Without them - there's still loads of talent at WR. AP is doing admirably. The defense at times can play very well. The team has a great coach and they probably think they still have something to play for mathematically at least. I don't know that Gabbert has ever played a single game with a truly decent WR corps and an all-pro RB. Houston has given up some nice WR games as well.

I'm just talking, I wouldn't add him and I wouldn't suggest anyone do so. But I'm curious how Gabbert does this week. AZ, with David Johnson, with Palmer, was actually a good team, or could have been. Without them - there's still loads of talent at WR. AP is doing admirably. The defense at times can play very well. The team has a great coach and they probably think they still have something to play for mathematically at least. I don't know that Gabbert has ever played a single game with a truly decent WR corps and an all-pro RB. Houston has given up some nice WR games as well.
Agree.  Arizona is still alive barely.  That loss vs Seattle really hurt though.  They need to go on a winning streak right now.  Seattle is gonna lose some more games with all those def injuries.

Happy to be able to play him as a desperation start.

Have also suspected for some time that he's a guy who could have an Alex-Smith type second act.  He turned 28 less than a month ago.

I've been debating, internally, how he impacts Fitz. 

Fitz is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option in the passing game. Stanton got him 10 catches for over a hundred last week can Gabbert be that much worse?

Fitz is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option in the passing game. Stanton got him 10 catches for over a hundred last week can Gabbert be that much worse?
Blabbert loves throwing to the middle of the field

When Gabbert last started for Chip Kelly, slot man Jeremy Kerley led the team in targets and receptions. In Jacksonville, Gabbert often targeted Cecil Shorts in the slot too. He loves throwing to the middle of the field. 

Fitz >>>>>>>>>>>Kerley

I actually think Gresham is a solid streamer play at TE too. 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Have also suspected for some time that he's a guy who could have an Alex-Smith type second act.  He turned 28 less than a month ago.
I actually wouldn’t be shocked by this either. 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:

it would be a good story, but he has been so awful so far in real games.  

i am desperate for a QB in my one dynasty and i did pick him up.  worth a spot for a couple weeks to see what happens.   

Gabbert is terrible once teams get in his face and pressure him. Houston defense  is all beat up but will be interesting to see how much pressure BOB brings.

Blabbert loves throwing to the middle of the field
I can't decide if that is intentional or the best auto-correct ever.

When Gabbert last started for Chip Kelly, slot man Jeremy Kerley led the team in targets and receptions. In Jacksonville, Gabbert often targeted Cecil Shorts in the slot too. He loves throwing to the middle of the field. 

Fitz >>>>>>>>>>>Kerley

I actually think Gresham is a solid streamer play at TE too. 
Thanks guys, didn't really know that. Starting him as my flex over Doug Martin.

I'm about to be starting him over Dak in my 2 QB league. I only watched the highlights but he looked good, made his decision in within 2 seconds and either threw a nice pass or ran. Give me 250/2 every week Blaine and I love you.

ANY/A around 5.92 yesterday vs Jags, who've held QBs to 3.5 ANY/A on the season.  Looked decisive and accurate, aside from the strip sack (which was only sack he took).

How the #### did Blaine "Whoa there, mother####er" Gabbert just throw on the Jags?
To be fair... He was highly motivated to stick it up on Jaguars.  IMO, I believe he truly welcomed a hard coaching by Bruce Arians and his affection for vertical passing.  Now Gabbert needs to build this experience from this point forward. 

Happy for the guy.  Was in horrible situations in both Jacksonville and SF and took a lot more abuse than he deserved.

Expectations were high with being the 10th overall pick, but wasn't his fault that Jacksonville reached. Glad to see him having some success.

Arizona Sports 98.7's Mike Jurecki reports the Cardinals have "reached out" to Blaine Gabbert about a contract extension.

GM Steve Keim said Monday there is not "any question" the team would like to have Gabbert back. The former first-rounder signed a one-year deal in May to be the No. 3 quarterback, but injuries to both Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton thrust him into the starting role and perhaps even more. With Palmer's future uncertain, the Cardinals are in desperate need for at the very least a bridge quarterback, and it looks like they think Gabbert can be that guy. He certainly looked the part in his first two starts including an impressive performance against Jacksonville, but he has looked a lot more like Blaine Gabbert the last two weeks. Still, it makes sense to keep him around as Arizona searches for their quarterback of the future.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

Dec 11 - 10:17 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it's "looking more" like Blaine Gabbert will start in Week 2 against the Texans.

Marcus Mariota (elbow) was limited in warm-ups and is still struggling to grip the football. There is no official word from the Titans just yet, but it sounds like Gabbert will be starting behind a makeshift offensive line missing both starting tackles.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 16 - 10:45 AM

Blaine Gabbert is warming up with the Titans' first string offense.

Both Gabbert and Marcus Mariota (elbow) warmed up for the Titans' Week 2 division bout against the Texans, but it was the former who took all reps with the first-string offense. The Titans only have two available quarterbacks, so Mariota could still stay glued to the sidelines despite being active. There has been no official announcement on Tennessee's starter.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter 

Sep 16 - 12:30 PM

Titans QB Blaine Gabbert is expected to start in Week 3 against the Jaguars.

The Titans are "hoping" Marcus Mariota (elbow) can "grip the football as soon as possible", which is a vague timeline that leaves his return wide open. Blaine Gabbert is expected to make his second consecutive start in the interim. Gabbert completed 13-of-20 passes for 117 yards and one score against the Texans in Week 2 and, if looking for a positive note, will have LT Taylor Lewan (concussion) back protecting his blindside. Although they'll be on the field for nearly every offensive play, WR Corey Davis and TE Jonnu Smith can be promptly downgraded until Mariota returns.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 23 - 12:07 AM

Titans released QB Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert finds himself the odd man out in Tennessee following the Titans' surprising trade for Ryan Tannehill. The former first-round pick made a handful of spot starts in place of an injured Marcus Mariota last year but wasn't effective, struggling to a mediocre 74.9 quarterback over eight appearances. Though clearly not starter material, the 29-year-old remains a serviceable backup. He'll land on his feet.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 15, 2019, 2:54 PM

Buccaneers signed QB Blaine Gabbert, formerly of the Titans.

The 29-year-old veteran will get another chance to play under coach Bruce Arians, this time as Jameis Winston's backup. Tampa Bay also re-signed Ryan Griffin in free agency, likely paving the way for the team to keep three players under center beyond camp. Gabbert made three starts for the oft-injured Marcus Mariota last season but performed poorly across the board. He went 2-3 in five starts under Arians in 2017 with the Cardinals.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

, Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Mar 25, 2019, 1:48 PM

Users who are viewing this thread