Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Garrett

Big Ten Basketball 2018/2019 - Return to Power

21 hours ago, jon_mx said:

IU is getting better but the Big10 will be pretty brutal.  Michigan has been playing down to their competition lately.  It would not shock me if they lost their next Big10 game.  

Eh. They start out - 

v Penn St

v IU

at ILL

v NW

at WI

--

I reckon they win the next 4 and then lose at WI.

Maryland loses another winnable game, this time at home to an inferior team, despite some favorable officiating.  Turgeon was booed during the introductions, and rightly so, in my opinion.  Same problems, year after year.  Way too many turnovers, offense goes stagnant for long stretches, poor shot selection, no idea how to play against a zone, and absolutely refuses to press or play a zone on defense.

I particularly love the inbounds play with 50 seconds to play, down three, in which Maryland would up with Bruno Fernando taking his 4th three of the year.  Quality shot selection.  Then another terrible three by Ayala down three with 20 seconds to play.

Despite monster recruiting classes year after year, Maryland will be a perennial bubble team as long as Turgeon is coach.

Steve Alford gets the axe.   Hard to argue.  An elite school, should be a recruiters dream, and fairly easy conference to dominate.  Really having a terrible season and has yet to produce anywhere close to expectations.   I do wish him well though.  

Edited by jon_mx

44 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Steve Alford gets the axe.   Hard to argue.  An elite school, should be a recruiters dream, and fairly easy conference to dominate.  Really having a terrible season and has yet to produce anywhere close to expectations.   I do wish him well though.  

Indiana dodged a bullet there.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:02 AM, Rich Conway said:

Maryland loses another winnable game, this time at home to an inferior team, despite some favorable officiating.  Turgeon was booed during the introductions, and rightly so, in my opinion.  Same problems, year after year.  Way too many turnovers, offense goes stagnant for long stretches, poor shot selection, no idea how to play against a zone, and absolutely refuses to press or play a zone on defense.

I particularly love the inbounds play with 50 seconds to play, down three, in which Maryland would up with Bruno Fernando taking his 4th three of the year.  Quality shot selection.  Then another terrible three by Ayala down three with 20 seconds to play.

Despite monster recruiting classes year after year, Maryland will be a perennial bubble team as long as Turgeon is coach.

Are the recruiting classes (and the hope that goes along with that every year) what is saving Turgeon's job at this point?  I was a bit surprised he was back this year.

Wisconsin basketball looks like a hangover feels.

Glad to see that POS Davison turn the ball over in crunch time. How can Happ be so dreadful from the FT line?

Posted (edited)

Minnesota Golden Gophers put up a solid effort to beat Wiscy at the Kohl Center 59-52. Engaged on D the whole game. We all know how valuable road conference wins are in the B1G. 

Aggressive night by Amir Coffey with 21/6/3. Huge 3-pointers from reserve Brock Stull to stem the tide early in the second half. And three forced turnovers at crunch time that were converted into fast break points by McBrayer to pull away. 

MN held WI to 14 points in the first half. Ethan Happ 1/7 FT in the game. Just brutal. Hack-a-Happ strategy in play this year. 

Edited by Johnny Rock
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Brad Underwood is going to morph into Gene Keady if he can lose a bit of hair.

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers put up a solid effort to beat Wiscy at the Kohl Center 59-52. Engaged on D the whole game. We all know how valuable road conference wins are in the B1G. 

Aggressive night by Amir Coffey with 21/6/3. Huge 3-pointers from reserve Brock Stull to stem the tide early in the second half. And three forced turnovers at crunch time that were converted into fast break points by McBrayer to pull away. 

MN held WI to 14 points in the first half. Ethan Happ 1/7 FT in the game. Just brutal. Hack-a-Happ strategy in play this year. 

Minnesota winning any game, much less a road game, where Murphy fouls out with five points is amazing.

Hopefully Curry has a lot of room to improve, more than just getting into "game shape."  Happ is good, but Happ was getting good looks up like he was working a 1 on 0 post move drill when Curry was guarding him.  Once the Gophers got into foul trouble, they were better off just putting Omersa on him and giving him five hard fouls.

3 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

All credit to the Gophers for a deserved win, but I have to say this Badgers team is just not good.  They were a .500 team last year with no post-season, and I'm expecting similar results in 2019.  The difference in aggressiveness, physicality and intensity in the first half was huge.  I don't think I've ever seen a Badgers team, at least not in the last 10-15 years or so, this lost and disinterested on offense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

All credit to the Gophers for a deserved win, but I have to say this Badgers team is just not good.  They were a .500 team last year with no post-season, and I'm expecting similar results in 2019.  The difference in aggressiveness, physicality and intensity in the first half was huge.  I don't think I've ever seen a Badgers team, at least not in the last 10-15 years or so, this lost and disinterested on offense. 

Also, Wisconsin's three point shooting.  There were something atrocious like 2-16 from deep in the first half.  I was texting a Sconnie buddy of mine during the game and told him I wanted the lead to be 20 by the half in order to feel good.  No way could WI shoot that poorly in the second half.  If they make two or three more of those wide open threes in the first half, it is a totally different ballgame.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2018 at 11:52 AM, Garrett said:

Are the recruiting classes (and the hope that goes along with that every year) what is saving Turgeon's job at this point?  I was a bit surprised he was back this year.

I'd say it's partially the recruiting classes, but mostly it's the massive contract with no buyout that the incompetent Kevin Anderson gave him.  It's truly amazing what a train wreck the entire athletic department has been for a full decade.  Somehow, they've managed to make me long for the days of Debbie Yow as AD.

Edited by Rich Conway

23 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

I'd say it's partially the recruiting classes, but mostly it's the massive contact with no buyout that the incompetent Kevin Anderson gave him.  It's truly amazing what a train wreck the entire athletic department has been for a full decade.  Somehow, they've managed to make me long for the days of Debbie Yow as AD.

You've finally convinced me - Turgeon can't design an offensive set if his life depended on it. 

2 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Solid road win at tOSU for the good guys in GREEN.

#GOGREEN

That's more than a solid road win. That's an excellent road win. 

MSU is playing really well right now.

• Like 3

Michigan-Indiana on CBS now, can UM stay unbeaten?

19 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Michigan-Indiana on CBS now, can UM stay unbeaten?

They are playing a great offensive game and IU has their best two players in foul trouble. 

7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

They are playing a great offensive game and IU has their best two players in foul trouble. 

It’s looking easy right now 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, whoknew said:

That's more than a solid road win. That's an excellent road win. 

MSU is playing really well right now.

UM and MSU are the class of the BIG TEN and they will battle to see who gets a #1 seed.  I think they both may be worthy, but that will never happen. 

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Morgan is keeping IU in the game. 

Hoosiers have some good things to work with and I expect by B10 tourney time, they are going to be playing even better. 

Posted (edited)

Johns is having a coming out party.  Playing great game.  Could end up with a double-double. 

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Johns is having a coming out party.  Playing great game.  Could end up with a double-double. 

Nice to yet another player prove he can be trusted on the court. Michigan is pretty deep

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Nice to yet another player prove he can be trusted on the court. Michigan is pretty deep

Looks like they can go 8 strong now.  First dozen games seven players were eating up all the minutes. Is huge to have a legitimate big man who can come in and give you key minutes. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, Ilov80s said:

Hoosiers have some good things to work with and I expect by B10 tourney time, they are going to be playing even better. 

There is a good chance of that; right now they are without 5 scholarship players.  Having to run everything through Morgan or Langford on offense is difficult for entire games at a time.  The overall defensive improvements from Miller are really starting to take hold in year two though, and that is certainly helping weather the storm with all these injuries.

46 minutes ago, Garrett said:

There is a good chance of that; right now they are without 5 scholarship players.  Having to run everything through Morgan or Langford on offense is difficult for entire games at a time.  The overall defensive improvements from Miller are really starting to take hold in year two though, and that is certainly helping weather the storm with all these injuries.

So is IU just being extra-sure to follow concussion protocol, or did their guys just have bad luck to get really severe concussions?

Maryland FBGs, what are we looking at tonight from your team against the Minnesota Golden Gophers?

Couple things about the Gophers. They aren’t using a starting PG. They have Amir Coffey playing that role. If Coffey isn’t attacking, the offense gets stagnant. Isaiah Washington is a sophomore PG but Pitino limits his minutes due to inconsistency and out of control forced action. 

Jordan Murphy is a double-double machine and is the school’s all-time leading rebounder. Collapsing on him as he backs down to the basket dribbling has been effective in getting steals. He also takes a lot of dumb fouls even though he’s a senior. 

Gophers start two freshmen in Oturu and Kalscheur. Kalscheur has a nice jumper but has been in a slump. 

Oturu is a big but not a quick leaper. He’s young though and plays ok D ND chips in. Had a few double-doubles again weaker non-conf. 

McBrayer is a nice 2-guard and is starting to come around since the death of his mom recently. His play is more free after that and extended injuries last year. 

Eric Curry is a big coming off surgery last season and missed all but the last few games this season. Smart player who can pass. Trying to find his legs. Makes them a better team. 

Gophers are coming off a good defensive effort in a win at Wisconsin 57-52. They struggle shooting 3s and can struggle at the line. They push the ball when possible to create offense as their high weave leaves a lot to be desired as a half court offense. Many times they just give it to Coffey and he has to muscle to the rim. He can hit a 3 too. 

Posted (edited)

Carsen Edwards. Brick City USA tonight...

In the same regard, was an ugly, muddled win with very little offensive flow and 9-27 from 3 point line and we won by 18. The ceiling is high for this team.

Tough road stretch coming up for Green.  Maybe we can eek out 3 out of 5 for wins.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

18 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Maybe the best game Maryland has played all year.  Turgeon actually switched to a zone!

No doubt. Great game. 

8 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Carsen Edwards. Brick City USA tonight...

In the same regard, was an ugly, muddled win with very little offensive flow and 9-27 from 3 point line and we won by 18. The ceiling is high for this team.

Tough road stretch coming up for Green.  Maybe we can eek out 3 out of 5 for wins.

Super impressed with Harris tonight.  Played great defense especially...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Keerock said:

I assume you meant Henry? That kid is going to be a stud

2 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
3 hours ago, Keerock said:

I assume you meant Henry? That kid is going to be a stud

Yep.  Henry.  Guy is looking like a solid contributor as a freshman. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rich Conway said:

Turgeon actually switched to a zone!

He had to get body-snatched. Right?

If Maryland doesn’t start playing some defense they are going to be in serious trouble tonight. 

1 hour ago, Garrett said:

If Maryland doesn’t start playing some defense they are going to be in serious trouble tonight. 

And they did...and they earned what feels like 25 offensive rebounds...and Devonte Green derailed Indiana’s offense...

Road games are tough.

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Happ is SO good from the post.

Yet SO bad from the line

Fun one in Madison tonight. Badgers a little sloppy but still fighting

Edited by strykerpks

4 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

Yet SO bad from the line

Fun one in Madison tonight. Badgers a little sloppy but still fighting

This is a really fun game. Two of the three candidates for Big Ten player of the year going at it.

58 minutes ago, whoknew said:

REALLY big win for Purdue. 

Fun game.

Revising my comment from earlier, really sloppy game from Bucky. Happ had a career high in turnovers. Season high  in turnovers for the team, mostly unforced. Just like vs Minny last week, sloppy play in the clutch gave the game away. Gotta give credit to Purdue though. A road win for them is huge.

Edited by strykerpks

5 hours ago, whoknew said:

Seems like MD may be the third best team in the Big Ten.

If they could ever play two good halves in a row against good teams..........

Anyway, big win tonight. I think I heard this is the first time MD has beaten ranked teams back-to-back at home since 2001-02 (when they were Top 5 all year and won the NCAAs).  I think they've already beaten more good teams this year than they had in the entire time Turgeon's been coach. They lost by a bucket to Purdue, blew a home game against a good Seton Hall team, and gave UVA their toughest game to date. They're young, but are building a good resume.

They have their faults, but I like that they go get the ball. It costs them sometimes in that they'll get in foul trouble and will get left out of position defensively, but they play hard. F Jalen Smith, who I don't think scored against Indiana, still must have had a dozen rebounds. A lot of freshmen might go into a funk if they're not getting theirs (especially with the way Smith has been scoring of late), but he kept hustling.

I really like this Terp team.  They're active, athletic, and pound the boards.  Bruno is a beast but someone besides Cowen needs to start hitting shots from the outside.

Their offensive sets seem to have a little more rhyme and reason than in past years.  Too bad Bruno won't be around next year.

A decent chance for the sweet 16 this year, assuming they keep playing well. 

This Terps team is incredibly talented.  Bruno is an absolute beast on both ends of the floor.  He's a likely lottery pick at this point.  Jalen Smith is a real talent as well, and the other freshmen have raw skills.  This may be heresy, but I think Cowan may be more skilled than Melo Trimble.  Not as tall, not quite as much "big shot, play to the moment" ice-water in the veins coolness, and he plays more recklessly, but I think he has more raw offensive skill.

I'm increasingly convinced that the only thing holding this group back is the coaching.  The repeated slow starts, bad offensive sets, high turnover rates, etc. should all be fixable, yet they persist year after year, regardless of personnel.

That said, if they can keep their free throw percentage up in the mid-70s, this is a top 20 team that could do damage despite inferior coaching.

16 hours ago, strykerpks said:

Revising my comment from earlier, really sloppy game from Bucky. Happ had a career high in turnovers. Season high  in turnovers for the team, mostly unforced. Just like vs Minny last week, sloppy play in the clutch gave the game away. Gotta give credit to Purdue though. A road win for them is huge.

I actually think Happ has regressed this season.