What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (6 Viewers)

This is one crazy comeback for WI.
Now imagine had they played 40 minutes like that. This team is pretty frustrating. Play like poop in the first half and then have to dig out of a big hole in the 2nd. Wash rinse repeat. 15 points or less in 2 first halves in the past 2 weeks is pathetic

Uruk-Hai said:
I hear ya and you've got me wanting Turgeon gone finally. But they play hard, they make their FTs, and they close games.
The free throws are big.  If they can keep making them, they'll win a decent number of games.  When they miss, it turns into the Seton Hall game.

For the Terp fans in here - why did MD schedule such a terrible non-conference schedule? That's not going to help them in tournament seeding.

For the Terp fans in here - why did MD schedule such a terrible non-conference schedule? That's not going to help them in tournament seeding.
This is actually one of their better NCS under Turgeon :bag:

You're preaching to the choir with me. I don't understand it.

Maybe @Rich Conway has some insight.

This is actually one of their better NCS under Turgeon :bag:

You're preaching to the choir with me. I don't understand it.

Maybe @Rich Conway has some insight.
I don't know why either.  It's become comical at this point.  It's not that hard to build a solid schedule that will impress the computer metrics.  I suspect that if Turgeon were a baseball guy, he would look strictly at RBIs and batting average instead of the advanced statistics available.

Maybe he thinks the young teams need more confidence?

I don't know why either.  It's become comical at this point.  It's not that hard to build a solid schedule that will impress the computer metrics.  I suspect that if Turgeon were a baseball guy, he would look strictly at RBIs and batting average instead of the advanced statistics available.

Maybe he thinks the young teams need more confidence?
Maybe, though I believe it's cost him at least two tourney appearances by not even trying.  Having a couple of OOC losses against good teams isn't a death knell and the advantage if you win some of them is exponential.

First, I'd strike a deal with Georgetown to play for the next 6 years. I know the Hoyas have been down recently and I know the history behind that slap-fight. This ain't then and it looks like Ewing has Georgetown stirring just a bit.

Second, I'd sign home-and-homes to play 2 majors from other conferences each year. So, maybe Florida and Washington for two years; Oklahoma State and Notre Dame the next two years.

Third - and maybe the rules have changed and they are already limited out; I'm not sure - enter every preseason tournament I can legally enter.

Maybe, though I believe it's cost him at least two tourney appearances by not even trying.  Having a couple of OOC losses against good teams isn't a death knell and the advantage if you win some of them is exponential.

First, I'd strike a deal with Georgetown to play for the next 6 years. I know the Hoyas have been down recently and I know the history behind that slap-fight. This ain't then and it looks like Ewing has Georgetown stirring just a bit.

Second, I'd sign home-and-homes to play 2 majors from other conferences each year. So, maybe Florida and Washington for two years; Oklahoma State and Notre Dame the next two years.

Third - and maybe the rules have changed and they are already limited out; I'm not sure - enter every preseason tournament I can legally enter.
He should do all of those things.  The other thing that all power 5 teams should be doing is avoiding the games against the worst 75 teams in D1.  If you need a real tuneup game, play a D2 team so it doesn't count on the computers.  Then instead of playing against the teams ranked 250-360 in KenPom, schedule games against teams ranked 100-200.  Play Bucknell, Colgate, and Harvard instead of Mount St. Mary's, North Carolina A&T, and Navy.  The end result on the computer strength-of-schedule ranking would be dramatic.

He should do all of those things.  The other thing that all power 5 teams should be doing is avoiding the games against the worst 75 teams in D1.  If you need a real tuneup game, play a D2 team so it doesn't count on the computers.  Then instead of playing against the teams ranked 250-360 in KenPom, schedule games against teams ranked 100-200.  Play Bucknell, Colgate, and Harvard instead of Mount St. Mary's, North Carolina A&T, and Navy.  The end result on the computer strength-of-schedule ranking would be dramatic.
In talking to a D1 coach this year about their decision to schedule a D2 game where they needed a game to fill their schedule, the coach indicated that had they played that D2 team last year instead of beating NC AT&T (?? can’t remember exactly which crap team), that their RPI would’ve been 7 spots higher.  Beating a crap D1 caused their RPI to drop 7 spots compared to beating a D2.  Crazy.

Man always tough to win on the road in the B1G. Gutsy win by the good guys in green tonight. Right now no one in the B1G is playing better than Cas Winston. Cas is our best floor leader since Mateen. Can’t believe we are winning these games without basically 2 of our staters. Total team effort right now. Ward last year would have gotten frustrated in a game like this. He’s definitely matured. 

GOGREEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Man always tough to win on the road in the B1G. Gutsy win by the good guys in green tonight. Right now no one in the B1G is playing better than Cas Winston. Cas is our best floor leader since Mateen. Can’t believe we are winning these games without basically 2 of our staters. Total team effort right now. Ward last year would have gotten frustrated in a game like this. He’s definitely matured. 

GOGREEN
I thought Henry was good last night as well. He's been a nice surprise.  For sure, many dumb Ward mistakes and he kept his cool. Good to see him knock down that three. 

A couple tough road games coming up.  That was Nebraska's first home loss in a while.

A pretty good slate of games over the next couple of days.  OSU has been falling off the charts, and could use a win against a good Maryland team.   Indiana-Purdue will be a tough game with Indiana needing a win.  Wisconsin is in a freefall losing 4 of 5, so are they good enough to turn it around at home against Michigan?  Road games against decent teams are rarely easy.  Minnesota should be 4-3 in conference play after they play Penn State at home. 

Looking like Maryland is establishing themselves as clearly the third best team in the league.   Mich and MSU are elite, except  if Duke gets their crap together they should be almost unbeatable come tourny tine.  The middle tier if the Big Ten is a cluster, which will beat up each other.  I have no idea who will emerge.  Iowa, Purdue, and Minn probably, but Wisconsin, IU and OSU are talented too.  The too nine teams are worthy of a bid, but one or two may not get one.  

Nice road win for the Twerpies against OSU last night. Wiggins' 3 at the half time buzzer was huge and gave them room to weather OSU's storm coming out for the 2nd. Wiggins, Ayali, Little Smith, and Morsell all played well, in addition to the Big 3. Still way too sloppy with the ball. I'm too lazy to look it up - anyone know the rebound splits by half? Seemed like OSU got damned near all of them in the 1st and MD got them all in the 2nd.

Next up, at Measuring Stick University and The Flying Izzos.

Nice road win for the Twerpies against OSU last night. Wiggins' 3 at the half time buzzer was huge and gave them room to weather OSU's storm coming out for the 2nd. Wiggins, Ayali, Little Smith, and Morsell all played well, in addition to the Big 3. Still way too sloppy with the ball. I'm too lazy to look it up - anyone know the rebound splits by half? Seemed like OSU got damned near all of them in the 1st and MD got them all in the 2nd.

Next up, at Measuring Stick University and The Flying Izzos.
Terps shot incredibly well.  Way too many turnovers, and I didn't see much ball movement.  Miss half of those made threes with the shot clock at two and it's a very different story.  Still, they played well.  I'm not yet convinced they can generate easy shots in the weave and heave offense.

Terps shot incredibly well.  Way too many turnovers, and I didn't see much ball movement.  Miss half of those made threes with the shot clock at two and it's a very different story.  Still, they played well.  I'm not yet convinced they can generate easy shots in the weave and heave offense.
Agree, and I think that'll show Monday when Sparty spanks them.

I think they can get teams that are roughly their peers (like OSU) to bite on MD's type of game and the Terps can out-athletic ( 🤔 ) them. I could see the Buckeyes falling into that as the first half wore on.

Different story with the elites, though. No margin for error. 

OSU is not really Maryland's peers.  I see OSU being NIT-bound and Maryland getting a 3 seed.   They will give Sparty a good game.  Some good basketball on the slate today:

Mich at Bucky noon

IU - Purdue at two

Virginia-Duke at six

Considering the crappy weather outside, I may catch all three.  

OSU is not really Maryland's peers.  I see OSU being NIT-bound and Maryland getting a 3 seed.   They will give Sparty a good game. 
Everyone below UM & MSU are Maryland's peers. They beat Nebraska on a last-second shot, lost to Purdue by two, had their hands full with Indiana. I think OSU is pretty good, though you may be right that they end up NIT. Winning road games in-conference is hard, especially for a team as young as Maryland.

MSU & then UM twice coming up. We'll see where they slot after that.

So that's what happens when Teske and Simpson are the two best players in a game. Err, only two players. 
Yeah, Iggy and Matthews were no-shows.  Poole was actually their key player in the first half.  Not sure why the announcers were so down on him.  He did play poorly most of the second half though.  

It's amazing what can happen when Wisconsin hustles and puts together 2 halves.

Here comes the let down game at powerhouse Illinois. 

Muck Fichigan
Yeah so inconsistent.  

Not being a great shooting team or free throw shooting team...just not sure the identity beyond Happ.

Stay classy and learn to win.  If you are going to talk crap, at least be man enough to do it prior to the game.  
Hi Jon,

My post was made with respect to the inconsistent play of the Badgers this season. At no point did I disparage you, your family, or the players on the team for which you cheer. I imagine you take exception to the "Much Fichigan" part. For that I will not apologize. Part of fandom especially in the college realm is taking a few little jabs from opposing fans. I'd expect no less from friends, this board or even narrower this thread, if the situation were reversed. That's all that was, a simple jab. Thicker skin, I suggest trying to find some..

I understand the emotions of losing a big game. Hell, I've been there, too many times. This was a Saturday morning game in January, not a sweet 16 game in March. Wisconsin was better today, the product of "putting it all together" as we often say when discussing the shooty hoops. Divert your emotion into something constructive and not at a nobody like me. It will be ok

Hugs,

Stryker

for real though, Muck Fichigan

Hi Jon,

My post was made with respect to the inconsistent play of the Badgers this season. At no point did I disparage you, your family, or the players on the team for which you cheer. I imagine you take exception to the "Much Fichigan" part. For that I will not apologize. Part of fandom especially in the college realm is taking a few little jabs from opposing fans. I'd expect no less from friends, this board or even narrower this thread, if the situation were reversed. That's all that was, a simple jab. Thicker skin, I suggest trying to find some..

I understand the emotions of losing a big game. Hell, I've been there, too many times. This was a Saturday morning game in January, not a sweet 16 game in March. Wisconsin was better today, the product of "putting it all together" as we often say when discussing the shooty hoops. Divert your emotion into something constructive and not at a nobody like me. It will be ok

Hugs,

Stryker

for real though, Muck Fichigan
Not a problem.  That was a big win for Bucky.   Everybody here is being respectful of other teams, just did not see the point.   

It’s an F1. Rarely called under those circumstances, but correct under the rule as written
They need to change the rule, then, as it applies to something like that. Hell, the play against Haap right after was much more severe, IMO, and wasn't called at all.

I was rooting to UW, by the way, in case someone thinks I'm sour grapes about this.

They need to change the rule, then, as it applies to something like that. Hell, the play against Haap right after was much more severe, IMO, and wasn't called at all.

I was rooting to UW, by the way, in case someone thinks I'm sour grapes about this.
Beilein had a right to be mad because it’s normally not called, but under the rules a foul off the ball to stop the clock is an F1.  They should change it, or call it consistently. 

Big game in EL tonight. MSU out to an early lead.

Hard to see MD win this one on the road, but you never know.

Lol. Sick end to end dribble drive for the reverse layup there by Cas. He’s playing at a different level than anyone else out there tonight 

Ward with a goose egg tonight. Still gutted it out on defense. Totally different player this season.  Defense was the key tonight. The Xman played a real nice game. Cas. What can you say...

#GOGREEN

Not looking forward to Iowa and Purdon't on the road this week.  Always very tough crowds and tough places to win for State. Maybe we can get 1 outta 2.  Be nice if we had Langford for these trips but that's not happening apparently.

That was exactly what I expected.  Outside of some one on one post-ups by Bruno, Maryland had trouble generating any kind of open looks.  How many shots did MSU block?  Seemed like 47.  Maryland's transition defense was non-existent.

Maryland is incredibly talented, and is going to beat a lot of teams by virtue of having better players, bigger players, and better athletes.  Maryland will struggle mightily against teams with similar talent, as those teams will generally be much better coached.

That was exactly what I expected.  Outside of some one on one post-ups by Bruno, Maryland had trouble generating any kind of open looks.  How many shots did MSU block?  Seemed like 47.  Maryland's transition defense was non-existent.

Maryland is incredibly talented, and is going to beat a lot of teams by virtue of having better players, bigger players, and better athletes.  Maryland will struggle mightily against teams with similar talent, as those teams will generally be much better coached.
The announcers last night kept mentioning their core was mainly freshman and sophomores. Maryland's a real solid team and they should close the gap on MSU significantly next year as that core matures into sophomores and juniors. MSU shouldn't lose anyone of significance for next year either but I think Maryland takes a big step forward. Bad scheduling luck this year that Maryland doesn't get a home game against MSU. That game would be a toss up.

Users who are viewing this thread