What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

Not looking forward to Iowa and Purdon't on the road this week.  Always very tough crowds and tough places to win for State. Maybe we can get 1 outta 2.  Be nice if we had Langford for these trips but that's not happening apparently.
This was my thinking too. Getting a split against 2 fringe top 25 teams in a 4 day span would be ideal here. Of course going 2-1 against 3 ranked teams this week, with 2 of them on the road, would magically drop MSU to about 12th or so in the rankings. We all know how much the polls like to crap on MSU. Duke or Kansas could pull off the same feat and either stay in the same spot or even jump in the polls. 

This was my thinking too. Getting a split against 2 fringe top 25 teams in a 4 day span would be ideal here. Of course going 2-1 against 3 ranked teams this week, with 2 of them on the road, would magically drop MSU to about 12th or so in the rankings. We all know how much the polls like to crap on MSU. Duke or Kansas could pull off the same feat and either stay in the same spot or even jump in the polls. 
100%

Oh for God's sake.

1) Who cares about the polls? They are meaningless.

2) Even so, when was the last time MSU wasn't in the top 20?

Oh for God's sake.

They are meant for entertainment purposes and discussion, which is what we are doing on a message board.  the OP was correct.

Oh for God's sake.

To be fair, point taken on #2.

As for #1, this includes tournament seeding along with the polls. Last year was a good example, a 30-4 power 5 conference champion team was given a #3 seed and given the mid-major treatment. Sure that team was flawed, no one liked to drive to the hoop and that could be exploited. Going into selection Sunday there were 3 teams MSU fans didn't want to see in their bracket - Duke, Michigan Villanova. Any reasonable Spartan fan knew their season was over when they were given a 3 seed with a 2 seed Duke and 1 seed Villanova in their region. The 3 seed and especially the regional pairing was seen as a slap in the face. Same thing a few years ago with the team that lost to Mid Tenn St in the opening round. A team that was ranked #2 in the polls, #1 in Kenpom and one of the 3 consensus favorites to win the tournament. That team was given a 2 seed despite every source out there having them ranked within the top 3. And yes, again, another flawed team that lost to a hot shooting and very underrated team. I'm sure you can respond here saying these were flawed teams, properly seeded and proved so because they lost early in the tournament - I won't argue that. The point here is MSU fans in general are skeptic and bitter about how they're seeded or ranked as it's seldom favorable.

To be fair, point taken on #2.

As for #1, this includes tournament seeding along with the polls. Last year was a good example, a 30-4 power 5 conference champion team was given a #3 seed and given the mid-major treatment. Sure that team was flawed, no one liked to drive to the hoop and that could be exploited. Going into selection Sunday there were 3 teams MSU fans didn't want to see in their bracket - Duke, Michigan Villanova. Any reasonable Spartan fan knew their season was over when they were given a 3 seed with a 2 seed Duke and 1 seed Villanova in their region. The 3 seed and especially the regional pairing was seen as a slap in the face. Same thing a few years ago with the team that lost to Mid Tenn St in the opening round. A team that was ranked #2 in the polls, #1 in Kenpom and one of the 3 consensus favorites to win the tournament. That team was given a 2 seed despite every source out there having them ranked within the top 3. And yes, again, another flawed team that lost to a hot shooting and very underrated team. I'm sure you can respond here saying these were flawed teams, properly seeded and proved so because they lost early in the tournament - I won't argue that. The point here is MSU fans in general are skeptic and bitter about how they're seeded or ranked as it's seldom favorable.

I think seeding is a different issue. For far too long, the tournament committee relied on RPI as the base of its seeding. And RPI had some serious flaws. Now they have gone to the NET rankings. MSU is #5 in that. Assuming the rest of the season goes as expected, I think M/MSU will split a 1 and 2 seed. Just my prediction.

Also, I think last year the Big Ten as a whole was hurt because the conference sucked. I don't think that will be the case this year.

ETA: You probably know this, but MSU is 3 in both kenpom and Bart Torvik's rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think seeding is a different issue. For far too long, the tournament committee relied on RPI as the base of its seeding. And RPI had some serious flaws. Now they have gone to the NET rankings. MSU is #5 in that. Assuming the rest of the season goes as expected, I think M/MSU will split a 1 and 2 seed. Just my prediction.

Also, I think last year the Big Ten as a whole was hurt because the conference sucked. I don't think that will be the case this year.

ETA: You probably know this, but MSU is 3 in both kenpom and Bart Torvik's rankings.
That's where I see it too between Michigan and MSU. Both teetering on the 1/2 line with whoever wins the conference tourney hopefully getting a 1 seed. Maryland probably a 3 or 4 seed. One of the toughest obstacles to overcome for the Big Ten to get to a 1 seed is Gonzaga. It's doubtful they lose a game the rest of the way and they crapped out against the power 5 teams they played with exception to their Duke victory. Seems that pollsters are hanging their hats on that Duke victory. It'll be interesting to see how the committee views Gonzaga this year and if it prevents the Big Ten from a 1 seed. 

Iggy did not shot well, but getting to the line was huge.   Michigan has been off the last two games.  Not getting production from enough guys. 

jon_mx said:
Iggy did not shot well, but getting to the line was huge.   Michigan has been off the last two games.  Not getting production from enough guys. 
Brazdeikas played well and does the things you need in basketball to win. Solid player, especially for a freshman. 

Having said that, after just seeing him for the first time tonight, I place him at the top of my list for most punchable. Term of endearment in the B1G as there are always a few. 

Brazdeikas played well and does the things you need in basketball to win. Solid player, especially for a freshman. 

Having said that, after just seeing him for the first time tonight, I place him at the top of my list for most punchable. Term of endearment in the B1G as there are always a few. 
He does has a bit of that Laettner-cockiness quality.  

Not sure why John's did not see more time.  I thought he had been giving Michigan some really good minutes recently.  Brooks got 23 minutes, but outside a short stretch was hardly visable.  Matthews has disappeared the last couple of games, with the big exception of getting that last rebound and winning the game.  When Michigan has four guys getting to double-digits is when they are best.  When only one or two guys are stepping up, they struggle.  

MSU at Iowa tonight.  MSU has not been challenged yet in the Big Ten and have already destroyed Iowa at home.   This should be a better game. 

Both OSU and IU, both previously ranked, have lost 5 straight.  IU hosts Michigan on Friday.  Indiana had a tough stretch (at Michigan, at Maryland, Nebraska, at Purdue, and at NW).  Four pretty brutal road games and a winnable game at home.  Hard to say a victory against a top 5 team is a must win, but it is getting there.  OSU losses have been to MSU, at Iowa, Maryland, Purdue, and @ Rutgers.  Rutgers was the only bad loss in that stretch, but losing 3 home games in a row hurts.    Going to Nebraska and winning is tough as an important game for both schools.  

My picks....MSU, IU (Michigan needs to find itself, maybe they will, but I see a loss), and OSU

Ha. That's true. They have an excellent defense. But Iowa's offense at home is outstanding. And both teams play really fast. So I think it will be high scoring with lots of possessions.
I think you are right it will by higher scoring than normal for States defense. Hopefully they stay out of foul trouble. 

Sure would be nice having Langford as a 6th man this week...ugh

There was another ridiculous hook and hold F1 last night in Wisconsin's game at Illinois.  It was near the end when the game was still somewhat close. It honestly did not look like a foul of any sort at all - just a normal play where one player is fighting though a high screen with minimal contact either way.  After a lengthy delay, they called a foul on an Illinois player and an F1 on Happ - two free throws + ball.  Its crazy - probably correct under the rule and the new interpretation of it, but crazy.

There was another ridiculous hook and hold F1 last night in Wisconsin's game at Illinois.  It was near the end when the game was still somewhat close. It honestly did not look like a foul of any sort at all - just a normal play where one player is fighting though a high screen with minimal contact either way.  After a lengthy delay, they called a foul on an Illinois player and an F1 on Happ - two free throws + ball.  Its crazy - probably correct under the rule and the new interpretation of it, but crazy.
Officiating in that game was atrocious.

Big win for MSU. That was a game of two halves. Iowa defensively was intense and motivated the entire first half and for about the first 5 min of the 2nd half. You could feel them being deflated when MSU went on that 11-0 run to go from down 8 to up 3. Iowa never recovered from that and never played intense defense again. I think the announcers said MSU finished on a 40-17 run. 

5 big games left @ Purdue, @ Wisconsin, @ Michigan, @ Indiana, vs Michigan. If they win 2 of those they’ll at least share the big ten title. 

Big win for MSU. That was a game of two halves. Iowa defensively was intense and motivated the entire first half and for about the first 5 min of the 2nd half. You could feel them being deflated when MSU went on that 11-0 run to go from down 8 to up 3. Iowa never recovered from that and never played intense defense again. I think the announcers said MSU finished on a 40-17 run. 

5 big games left @ Purdue, @ Wisconsin, @ Michigan, @ Indiana, vs Michigan. If they win 2 of those they’ll at least share the big ten title. 
MSU is only losing 1 or 2, maybe one to Michigan and either Purdue or Wisconsin.  They have been dominating all their Big Ten opponents. 

Most likely scenario is MSU loses to Purdue, splits the Michigan games, splits the Wisconsin/Indiana road games. 3 games in 7 days against ranked teams and they’re due for a road loss. Ahrens may not play against Purdue either, not an important cog but makes their rotation thinner that is already minus Langford. Would be pleasantly surprised with a win on Sunday. Indiana seems like a layup right now but that road game is a month out, plenty of time for them to get right. 

For about the past month now, the two hottest teams in the B1G are MSU and whoever is next on MSUs schedule. 

Shocked Indiana seems to be in a free fall.   They had some tough games, but dropping six in a row?  
I've been shutting off their games before halftime recently. If they can't put forth the effort, why should I? No desire to watch them shoot 20% from the field and not play defense.

I've been shutting off their games before halftime recently. If they can't put forth the effort, why should I? No desire to watch them shoot 20% from the field and not play defense.
Same. I’m removed from the situation being on the west coast but this smells like Langford is thinking about NBA and team is lost. 

Lame.

This is great. Iggy is going to be the most hated person in the Big Ten - 

Brazdeikis on answering Indiana's run with his 3-point daggers and money sign gesture in the second half: "I love that. One of my favorite parts is shutting the crowd down, and I love going on the road. I got to make sure everyone knows I hit that shot."

Maryland's next two are Illinois and Northwestern, which will give them 11 conference games played.  Of those, 3 will have been against teams with a current winning record in conference play.  Of those 3, Maryland is 1-2, with the lone win coming at home against Wisconsin and requiring some down the stretch good fortune.

I think we don't find out how good Maryland is until February.

Maryland's next two are Illinois and Northwestern, which will give them 11 conference games played.  Of those, 3 will have been against teams with a current winning record in conference play.  Of those 3, Maryland is 1-2, with the lone win coming at home against Wisconsin and requiring some down the stretch good fortune.

I think we don't find out how good Maryland is until February.

Maryland has to win these next two. They still have Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, and Michigan (twice) - plus those corn-fed eye-pokers, among others.

Indiana & (seemingly) OSU falling apart hasn't helped their SOS. 

They need to go 3-3 against W/N/P/M/I/M. Assuming they do that and go 3-1 against NW, Penn State, OSU, and Minnesota, they're at 22-8 and probably looking at a 4 or 5 seed.

I don't see any way they can make a deep run in either the B1G tourney or the NCAAs - they just can't shoot well enough game-to-game.

This is great. Iggy is going to be the most hated person in the Big Ten - 

Brazdeikis on answering Indiana's run with his 3-point daggers and money sign gesture in the second half: "I love that. One of my favorite parts is shutting the crowd down, and I love going on the road. I got to make sure everyone knows I hit that shot."
Did Duke recruit him? He would have fit right in there.

I only saw the last 16 minutes or so. Illinois looked like the better team to me. They shot lights out and out-hustled MD. WAY too many turnovers for the Terps and they looked to me - first time I can say it this season - a bit lazy. Even though I said above Maryland was choking the game away, Illinois just flat beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread