What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (3 Viewers)

A lot of Wisconsin hate based on one rough shooting night. I'm guessing that will change when they do what they always do to MSU on Tuesday.
Fellow MSU fan in total agreement.
Update? Wisconsin is the 5th best team in a very good Big 10. There will be 4 to 5 Big 10 teams in the Sweet 16.
UPDATE:kenpom ratings:tOSU: #1Wisky: #2Indy: #9MSU: #10Purdue: #25UM: #43Minny: #46Can't emphasize enough how huge that win in Wisconsin was for MSU last night (0-8 in WI since '01). :banned:
jon_mx ranking system.. 1kenpom ................0

A lot of Wisconsin hate based on one rough shooting night. I'm guessing that will change when they do what they always do to MSU on Tuesday.
Update? Wisconsin is the 5th best team in a very good Big 10. There will be 4 to 5 Big 10 teams in the Sweet 16.
UPDATE:kenpom ratings:

tOSU: #1

Wisky: #2

Indy: #9

MSU: #10

Purdue: #25

UM: #43

Minny: #46

Can't emphasize enough how huge that win in Wisconsin was for MSU last night (0-8 in WI since '01). :banned:
LINK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indiana needs to get better at closing out games. Crean also got a little too cute with playing bench players a few times IMO. Insane 3 point shooting today saved them. Wish they had another skilled big man, when Zeller sits things get dicey.

Really impressed with Michigan today. Only other Wisconsin game I saw this year was the duke game and they looked solid. Don't know what happened but they are awful right now.

Indiana needs to get better at closing out games. Crean also got a little too cute with playing bench players a few times IMO. Insane 3 point shooting today saved them. Wish they had another skilled big man, when Zeller sits things get dicey.

Really impressed with Michigan today. Only other Wisconsin game I saw this year was the duke game and they looked solid. Don't know what happened but they are awful right now.
Playing on the road in the BIG 10 is brutal. Totally different team at the Kohl Ctr.

Can't emphasize enough how huge that win in Wisconsin was for MSU last night (0-8 in WI since '01). :banned:
LINK?
Really? You forget this conversation already?
All I know is Kenpom's ranking right now suck. He must have some kind of bad basis left over from last year, because he is grossly over-ranking Wisconsin and grossly under-ranking Michigan. Perhaps later in the season he rankings will make a lot more sense, but as of now it sucks.
Says Michigan fan... :lmao: you're still not getting it....oh well..moving on.... :yawn:

LINK?
Really? You forget this conversation already?
All I know is Kenpom's ranking right now suck. He must have some kind of bad basis left over from last year, because he is grossly over-ranking Wisconsin and grossly under-ranking Michigan. Perhaps later in the season he rankings will make a lot more sense, but as of now it sucks.
Says Michigan fan... :lmao: you're still not getting it....oh well..moving on.... :yawn:
that's not a ranking system, thats an opinionHTH

Still waiting :popcorn:

So instead of admitting you were wrong about Michigan and Wisconsin, you hide behind being anal. Ok, got your type. Won't expect you to man-up in the future. :thumbup:

So instead of admitting you were wrong about Michigan and Wisconsin, you hide behind being anal. Ok, got your type. Won't expect you to man-up in the future. :thumbup:
Figured, you had nothing. continue the schtick. :lmao: Been well aware of your lack of game in these parts for some time.

Figured, you had nothing. continue the schtick. :lmao: Been well aware of your lack of game in these parts for some time.
Really? You still think Michigan is nowhere near a top 25 team. You have been spewing the stupidity in here, not me big guy. Kenpom's rankings of Michigan (#43) and Wisconsin (#2) sucked, exactly like I said. I am not sure what BS you are trying to hang your hat on. You have been wrong throughout.

You were wrong about Wisconsin and Michigan. If you want to hide behind semantics, that's cool. But you were wrong.

<BR>Looking at Michigan's results, I'm not really impressed. They beat Memphis and UCLA in Maui, both big names but neither is having a very good season. Other than that, their best win is Minnesota at home.<BR><BR>I haven't seen them play so maybe the eye test says otherwise, but it's not a mystery why a computer would have them at 46.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I'll give you over the past week, Wisconsin has turned to total garbage. Should be interesting to see if kp's rankings change after today's games. If they don't change significantly, I'd truly be shocked.<BR><BR>I'll go back SR's post above. Pretty much sums up my opinion at this point. I tend to still agree with SR here about UM, but I do have to say, after this week, Michigan may be turning the corner., they had a pretty decent week. At this point IMO, I'd be willing to put them on the fringe of the Top 25, as they really haven't beaten anyone of real significance. We are still only 2 weeks into the Big10 schedule, which is always brutal, especially on the road. The true test is still to come. ETA: Wisky still ranked at #2...MSU moved up, as did UM.

Pretty interesting discussion about the Wisconsin ranking over on the Scout.com messageboard:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=8543444&p=1

Seems like Spartans Rule was pretty spot on earlier about the nature of these ratings (Winning point margin) along with efficiency (point per possession).

Purdue 10-12 from 3 in the first half. Nice bounce back from the disaster at PSU. Need to hold them off and come home with a W.

I tried to stay out of this for the most part. So now Wisconsin is out of both top 25 polls, but kenpom.com has them at #2 still.Ken has the Badgers above Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, etc.

How many of those teams do you think Wisconsin would beat on a neutral site tomorrow?

To defend Ken you copy and pasted his write up about his methodology..(link)

The purpose of this system is to show how strong a team would be if it played tonight, independent of injuries or emotional factors.

Tell me how many of those teams Wisconsin beats, given that Ken says they would beat them all.

Pick any conference in the country and put their top 4 teams up against..

Michigan State

Indiana

Ohio State

Michigan

No chance.

I tried to stay out of this for the most part. So now Wisconsin is out of both top 25 polls, but kenpom.com has them at #2 still.Ken has the Badgers above Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, etc.

How many of those teams do you think Wisconsin would beat on a neutral site tomorrow?

The purpose of this system is to show how strong a team would be if it played tonight, independent of injuries or emotional factors.

Tell me how many of those teams Wisconsin beats, given that Ken says they would beat them all.
Its an anomaly because Wisconsin is such a strange team.

Read this.

He doesn't think WI is the #2 team in the country.

Its an anomaly because Wisconsin is such a strange team.

Read this.

He doesn't think WI is the #2 team in the country.
His handcrafted explanation of this ranking system that his reputation is built on states..."The purpose of this system is to show how strong a team would be if it played tonight"

You can't lay that down and then post the rankings he has up right now.

Purdue and Illinois are both 3-1 in the B10 but neither has played any of the upper tier teams yet. Both look to be tounament worthy, but not clear if they can hang with the big boys yet. We shall see in the next couple of weeks.

Iowa and Penn State have played better recently than their records indicate. Don't see either being a threat, but they will surprise teams and pull some upsets.

Wisconsin and Minnesota have been disappointments so far in B10 play. They should turn it around, but they are in a big hole.

NW is a team that can play too. Two of their four loses are to OSU and Baylor. They are definitely a bottom tier team, but play them at home and they will be tough.

Nebraska is about the only push over in the league. They will struggle to get even a few victories this year.

This is the deepest the B10 has ever been. The four teams not mentioned are three solid top 10 teams and one that is knocking on the door. Will be fun to see how things wash out.

The officials are certainly letting them play tonight in Champaign.
Ridiculous shooting display by Brandon Paul. Buckeyes couldn't stop him.
Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little. Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well. You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.That said, nothing completely unexpected. Young team in a powerful conference.

'Kubes said:
Not that anyone is talking about them, but MN is playing horribly. They'll obviously be dropping from this number after a loss to Iowa, but I can see them not winning another game on the road all season, except maybe Nebraska.
The Gophers are terrible. They do nothing well. they do nothing averagely.
Minnesota's season was over once they lost Mbwake.

'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
'GreatLakesMike said:
Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little. Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well. You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.That said, nothing completely unexpected. Young team in a powerful conference.
0 bench points for either team last night.

'The Real Hipster Doofus said:
Pick any conference in the country and put their top 4 teams up against..Michigan StateIndianaOhio StateMichiganNo chance.
I think this top 4 is only going to separate themselves even further in the coming years. All 4 are bringing in some serious talent in the coming years.
Purdue has 2 excellent classes coming in and a better coach than IU or UM. It's nice when 18-20 wins and a 7-10 seed in the tourney is a 'down' year.

Pick any conference in the country and put their top 4 teams up against..Michigan StateIndianaOhio StateMichiganNo chance.
I think this top 4 is only going to separate themselves even further in the coming years. All 4 are bringing in some serious talent in the coming years.
Purdue has 2 excellent classes coming in and a better coach than IU or UM. It's nice when 18-20 wins and a 7-10 seed in the tourney is a 'down' year.
Better coach than John Beilein?

I am not sure I would say that. They are all very good coaches who fit they school and system well. It is no surprise the Big 10 is as good as it is, it is loaded with great coaches and there is a lot of Basketball talent in the midwest. Prudue always seem to outperform expectations, but my guess is IU or Michigan will hang a NC banner before Purdue does. Not sure how you want to measure who the better coach is.

yes. Beilein is good too.

I am not sure I would say that. They are all very good coaches who fit they school and system well. It is no surprise the Big 10 is as good as it is, it is loaded with great coaches and there is a lot of Basketball talent in the midwest. Prudue always seem to outperform expectations, but my guess is IU or Michigan will hang a NC banner before Purdue does. Not sure how you want to measure who the better coach is.
Purdue could have hung one either of the last 2 years if Hummel's knee had stayed attached. Crean doesn't know how to coach defense or discipline well enough to ever win a title.

Yes

'GreatLakesMike said:
Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well.
Buckeyes typically go the way Buford goes. If he's off they either squeak out a win or they lose.

I think the difference in coaching is pretty negligible between those coaches, but I think Purdue's recruiting is clearly a step behind IU and Michigan at this point. They have some good classes lined up, but they are still behind those two teams. Not to mention those teams both have more talent on their current roster already.

I think the difference in coaching is pretty negligible between those coaches, but I think Purdue's recruiting is clearly a step behind IU and Michigan at this point. They have some good classes lined up, but they are still behind those two teams. Not to mention those teams both have more talent on their current roster already.
The last sentence is true. The rest, not so much.

Gene Keady & Matt Painter have out-coached this conference for more than 3 decades. Purdue has never come close to getting the talent of IU, Michigan, MSU, Illinois and OSU. Except for a few down years and dry spells they have consistently over-achieved and out-coached everyone else in the conference....hands down.

'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
'GreatLakesMike said:
Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little.

Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well.

You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.

That said, nothing completely unexpected. Young team in a powerful conference.
I think this consistently hurts the Big Ten in postseason play. I haven't actually looked at anything to back it up, but had I gone to Illinois I'd have been the 6th gen in my family there, so I've grown up watching Big Ten play and it seems the conference is ALWAYS in foul trouble in the tournament.In other news, I was so glad I got to see that game last night. Brandon Paul was incredible. Even aside from the shooting, some of the blocks he had were from out of nowhere on guys. I think that even less than Buford, Ohio State doesn't get the ball to Sullinger enough. I was at the game Saturday when OU and Kansas played, and it felt to me like Kansas was getting the ball into Robinson just about every time down the court (that wasn't a break) to start the offense.

'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
'GreatLakesMike said:
Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little.

You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.

I think this consistently hurts the Big Ten in postseason play. I haven't actually looked at anything to back it up, but had I gone to Illinois I'd have been the 6th gen in my family there, so I've grown up watching Big Ten play and it seems the conference is ALWAYS in foul trouble in the tournament.In other news, I was so glad I got to see that game last night. Brandon Paul was incredible. Even aside from the shooting, some of the blocks he had were from out of nowhere on guys. I think that even less than Buford, Ohio State doesn't get the ball to Sullinger enough. I was at the game Saturday when OU and Kansas played, and it felt to me like Kansas was getting the ball into Robinson just about every time down the court (that wasn't a break) to start the offense.
It is. I've noticed a big change in the way B1G officials are officiating this year. It kinda irritates me, but I understand it. Getting through the tournament playing tough basketball is virtually impossible these days with all the fineness leaning refs out there.

'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
'GreatLakesMike said:

It is. I've noticed a big change in the way B1G officials are officiating this year. It kinda irritates me, but I understand it. Getting through the tournament playing tough basketball is virtually impossible these days with all the fineness leaning refs out there.
Have you seen Michigan State play under Izzo?

Three decades?? We are going back to the Bob Knight ere. Let's not get carried away. Even in more recent times, Izzo has to be in the equation as the best B10 coach. Crean looks to be doing a great job at IU, although defensively there is room for improvement. But ot have this team to where it is at is incredible. I am always impressed by what Purdue does, but recruiting is part of coaching too.

Three decades?? We are going back to the Bob Knight ere. Let's not get carried away. Even in more recent times, Izzo has to be in the equation as the best B10 coach. Crean looks to be doing a great job at IU, although defensively there is room for improvement. But ot have this team to where it is at is incredible. I am always impressed by what Purdue does, but recruiting is part of coaching too.
Gene Keady was hired in 1980. his head to head record with Knight was 20-21.

Gene Keady was hired in 1980. his head to head record with Knight was 20-21.
Pretty sure IU got a couple national championships during those years. Ild take that over a one game advantage during the season. :shrug:

'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
'GreatLakesMike said:

Teddy Valentine is the #1 worst referee in the B10. He consistently refs a game like he is bigger than the game itself. Horrible. I cringe every time I see him officiating.

Down the stretch, both teams were awful. Michigan did not deserve that win, but Northwestern refused to take it. Hardaway had a good night. Burke had a decent night. Nobody else could buy a basket.

Users who are viewing this thread