What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (4 Viewers)

It's a Big Ten win, so I will take it. Rough night shooting and early foul trouble seemed to start them off bad. For whatever reason Michigan always seems to struggle with Northwestern.

Looks like Will Sheehey is going to be back for Indiana tonight. Hopefully he gets back in the flow tonight and is ready for the Ohio State rematch this weekend.

Going to be very tough for Minnesota to get anything going at Assembly Hall tonight.

'BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
'The Commish said:
'GreatLakesMike said:
'wadegarrett said:
The officials are certainly letting them play tonight in Champaign.
Ridiculous shooting display by Brandon Paul. Buckeyes couldn't stop him.
Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little.

Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well.

You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.

That said, nothing completely unexpected. Young team in a powerful conference.
I think this consistently hurts the Big Ten in postseason play. I haven't actually looked at anything to back it up, but had I gone to Illinois I'd have been the 6th gen in my family there, so I've grown up watching Big Ten play and it seems the conference is ALWAYS in foul trouble in the tournament.In other news, I was so glad I got to see that game last night. Brandon Paul was incredible. Even aside from the shooting, some of the blocks he had were from out of nowhere on guys. I think that even less than Buford, Ohio State doesn't get the ball to Sullinger enough. I was at the game Saturday when OU and Kansas played, and it felt to me like Kansas was getting the ball into Robinson just about every time down the court (that wasn't a break) to start the offense.
It is. I've noticed a big change in the way B1G officials are officiating this year. It kinda irritates me, but I understand it. Getting through the tournament playing tough basketball is virtually impossible these days with all the fineness leaning refs out there.
Teddy Valentine is the #1 worst referee in the B10. He consistently refs a game like he is bigger than the game itself. Horrible. I cringe every time I see him officiating.
Valentine is bad, but I think Hightower is the worst official ever. Not only does he put on a ridiculous show, but he just plain sucks as an official. If the NCAA wants to improve officiating, then I think finding a few officals under 60 years old with a waist line smaller than 40 would be a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over/Under on the Big 10 champ having 5 conference losses?
I'll take the under. Huge win for Wisconsin tonight. They dug themselves in a big hole and needed a good win. Minnesota is playing their best game of the Big Ten season and IU is not getting good looks at 3's.

Looking at Michigan's results, I'm not really impressed. They beat Memphis and UCLA in Maui, both big names but neither is having a very good season. Other than that, their best win is Minnesota at home.I haven't seen them play so maybe the eye test says otherwise, but it's not a mystery why a computer would have them at 46.
They looked shell shocked early at Assembly Hall...
Nobody is going to beat IU at assembly hall this year.
and boom goes the dynamite

Looking at Michigan's results, I'm not really impressed. They beat Memphis and UCLA in Maui, both big names but neither is having a very good season. Other than that, their best win is Minnesota at home.I haven't seen them play so maybe the eye test says otherwise, but it's not a mystery why a computer would have them at 46.
They looked shell shocked early at Assembly Hall...
Nobody is going to beat IU at assembly hall this year.
and boom goes the dynamite
Well, Minnesota was a nobody. :shrug:

Minnesota definitely deserved to win that game tonight vs #8 Indiana. After starting the Big10 0-4 you gotta love the effort on the road in a tough arena. The Gophers flat outplayed them.

Minnesota definitely deserved to win that game tonight vs #8 Indiana. After starting the Big10 0-4 you gotta love the effort on the road in a tough arena. The Gophers flat outplayed them.
Yep...They really fought for those rebounds late in the game. It seemed they got about 8 points off offensive rebounds down the stretch. Even off free throws they were getting them. Minnesota really did not have any offense late in the second half except second chance points and they worked their butts off to get put backs.

Yeah, pretty difficult to stop a guy who's fading away from 22 feet and hitting nothing but net.To be clear, I wasn't blaming or criticizing the officiating. It seems like Big 10 officials have been calling the games pretty tight this year, so it was actually a welcome surprise to see them let the big guys bang a little.

Ohio State's offense looks disjointed right now and it starts with Buford. He's simply not shooting the ball well.

You can tell Matta's trying to build at least an 8 man rotation this year, but that's kind of difficult when his bench guys are so inconsistent, especially on the road. You can pretty much point to the Bench as the primary reason for both of their conference losses right now.

I think this consistently hurts the Big Ten in postseason play. I haven't actually looked at anything to back it up, but had I gone to Illinois I'd have been the 6th gen in my family there, so I've grown up watching Big Ten play and it seems the conference is ALWAYS in foul trouble in the tournament.In other news, I was so glad I got to see that game last night. Brandon Paul was incredible. Even aside from the shooting, some of the blocks he had were from out of nowhere on guys. I think that even less than Buford, Ohio State doesn't get the ball to Sullinger enough. I was at the game Saturday when OU and Kansas played, and it felt to me like Kansas was getting the ball into Robinson just about every time down the court (that wasn't a break) to start the offense.
It is. I've noticed a big change in the way B1G officials are officiating this year. It kinda irritates me, but I understand it. Getting through the tournament playing tough basketball is virtually impossible these days with all the fineness leaning refs out there.
Teddy Valentine is the #1 worst referee in the B10. He consistently refs a game like he is bigger than the game itself. Horrible. I cringe every time I see him officiating.
Valentine is bad, but I think Hightower is the worst official ever. Not only does he put on a ridiculous show, but he just plain sucks as an official. If the NCAA wants to improve officiating, then I think finding a few officals under 60 years old with a waist line smaller than 40 would be a good start.
Doesnt seem like Hightower does many B10 games anymore, whereas, Valentine seems to always officiate the big game in the B10 and single-handly changes the course of the game in each instance. He's abyssmal.

Doesnt seem like Hightower does many B10 games anymore, whereas, Valentine seems to always officiate the big game in the B10 and single-handly changes the course of the game in each instance. He's abyssmal.
Fair point. Hopefully neither official has any offspring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting day in the Big Ten.

Iowa beat Michigan 75-59.

Northwestern beating Michigan State at halftime - only by two, but the Spartans look awful.

Users who are viewing this thread