What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (4 Viewers)

I'm still trying to figure out how Maryland won. Did the scorekeeper mess up? Watching it, the math wasn't adding up.
I got pulled away right as the Kobe stuff broke for maybe a minute. When I left it was a 4 point game and IU had the ball, came back it was a 1 point game. I missed like 20 seconds of game I think  :kicksrock:

IIRC there was like 40 seconds left. IU had the ball, blew it. Maryland scored, IU then missed shot.

Felt like they had it the whole 2nd half...until they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth Davis has made four references to “people on Twitter” complaining about the refs during the 2H of this Rutgers-Purdue game. 

Want to blow my brains out listening to him. 

Glad that B1G finally did a little something about Wisconsin’s Davidson’s #### he’s been pulling(or punching as the case might be) for a couple years now. Should have been more of a punishment IMO.  Sounds like he will be watched much closer now going forward by refs and the Conference. About time. Dude is a total ****.

Glad that B1G finally did a little something about Wisconsin’s Davidson’s #### he’s been pulling(or punching as the case might be) for a couple years now. Should have been more of a punishment IMO.  Sounds like he will be watched much closer now going forward by refs and the Conference. About time. Dude is a total ****.
I'm a Wisconsin grad and love Brad Davison, so admit my bias, but have to say this is an unfairly harsh punishment.  He got a flagrant 1 (after lengthy video review) that dramatically changed the game, which was more than enough punishment imo.  I was pissed off at the time, as it effectively gave the game to Iowa and I didn't think a flagrant was warranted.  When setting a hard screen in the Big Ten, I think a nut punch is pretty much expected, or at least not in any way unusual.  Now they've tacked on a suspension - WTF?  I think the Big Ten is setting a difficult precedent here.  What is going on when a garden-variety nut punch while fighting through a screen is not only a foul, but a flagrant one AND a suspension?   Extremely disappointing for me that its come to this.

Wow. DJ Carton stepping away from OSU to deal with mental health issues.

Man - hope the kid can get the help he needs.

Nice win for Maryland. Never seemed as close as the score indicated during the second half. 
Yeah, probably one of the best games they've played all year.  Makes me wonder why they don't get out and run more often.  Significantly better at pressing the pace than they are at the half-court offense.

Also never hurts when you hit free throws.

CletiusMaximus said:
I'm a Wisconsin grad and love Brad Davison, so admit my bias, but have to say this is an unfairly harsh punishment.  He got a flagrant 1 (after lengthy video review) that dramatically changed the game, which was more than enough punishment imo.  I was pissed off at the time, as it effectively gave the game to Iowa and I didn't think a flagrant was warranted.  When setting a hard screen in the Big Ten, I think a nut punch is pretty much expected, or at least not in any way unusual.  Now they've tacked on a suspension - WTF?  I think the Big Ten is setting a difficult precedent here.  What is going on when a garden-variety nut punch while fighting through a screen is not only a foul, but a flagrant one AND a suspension?   Extremely disappointing for me that its come to this.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2020/1/28/21111937/brad-davison-cheap-shot-wisconsin-badgers-iowa-video-dirty

CletiusMaximus said:
If it makes it easier for you, I think Davison is a Minnesota kid, so it should be at least partially acceptable to hate on him.

Yeah, probably one of the best games they've played all year.  Makes me wonder why they don't get out and run more often.  Significantly better at pressing the pace than they are at the half-court offense.

Also never hurts when you hit free throws.
Congrats to Anthony Cowan for passing Walt Williams on MD's all-time scoring list. He's 12th now and has a decent shot at finishing 7th - needs about 150 points to catch Lonnie Baxter. He's got no shot at 6th, though, as it's another 150 after that to overtake John Lucas.

Top 6 are: Juan Dixon, Greivis Vasquez, Lenny Bias, Al King, Adrian Branch, John Lucas. No one is catching any of these guys, the way things are set up now. 

:bye:  State continues its pattern of getting blown out in the first half of road games. Just hop on the bus at halftime fellas. Jeebus 

You're obviously not familiar with the Badgers 2nd halves. Especially down Davison and King
You’re obviously not familiar with with the Spartan road collapses this season. Pretty much every road loss they were out of it by halftime. They expend way too much unnecessary energy trying to come back in these games.

Except for Cash, shooting was abysmal again. Tillman was nonexistent. You couldn't make 1 of your 6 missed layups.

One point loss. Such a wasted opportunity once again.

You’re obviously not familiar with with the Spartan road collapses this season. Pretty much every road loss they were out of it by halftime. They expend way too much unnecessary energy trying to come back in these games.

Except for Cash, shooting was abysmal again. Tillman was nonexistent. You couldn't make 1 of your 6 missed layups.

One point loss. Such a wasted opportunity once again.
That stretch where Tillman missed (I think) 4 layups in the second half was bizarre.  He also lost the ball out of bounds under the hoop on a strange play that would have been another zero-footer.  I think there was one other missed layup by a different Spartan player during that time - it was uncanny.  Quite a bit of luck for Bucky today, but we'll take it.

This is ... a VERY strange game - 

Rutgers has 20 offensive rebounds and has taken 27 more shots than Michigan. Also finds itself trailing by nine with 5:08 left.

Big win for Michigan over Rutgers. Needed that one.

No idea how long Livers is going to be out, but we need him back SOON.

What do Michigan fans think so far about Howard as coach? 
Very happy. And very optimistic. 

His on court coaching is very solid. He’s not afraid to suspend his best player. He loves his players and they seem to love him back. And his recruiting is A+ so far. 

Its early obviously. And not everything is perfect (seems to not use his timeouts well, his rotations are questionable, where is Cole Bajema?) - but so far it seems like a terrific hire. 

Very happy. And very optimistic. 

His on court coaching is very solid. He’s not afraid to suspend his best player. He loves his players and they seem to love him back. And his recruiting is A+ so far. 

Its early obviously. And not everything is perfect (seems to not use his timeouts well, his rotations are questionable, where is Cole Bajema?) - but so far it seems like a terrific hire. 
:lol:  Every fan base thinks that about their coach. See: Williams, Roy & UNC.

From an outsider's POV, it seems like a slam dunk hire considering the best coach Michigan has ever had bolted out of the blue. 

From an outsider's POV, it seems like a slam dunk hire considering the best coach Michigan has ever had bolted out of the blue. 
Yea I agree. I think most Michigan fans are quite pleased with how it has worked out so far. 

This year, the goal is just to be in the tournament. If we can make it to the second weekend, that'd be awesome. But just get in the tournament - solid season. Then go from there.

Everyone in MD still hate Turgeon?

Everyone in MD still hate Turgeon?
Pretty much. I don't hate him, but it took me several years to get REALLY pissed with what he does. @Rich Conway was way out in front on this.

I think he's a decent basketball coach, but I don't believe he can win a national championship without catching lightening in a bottle. He doesn't coach to the players he has, yet he has no system. He also sucks at timeouts :lol:  

Maryland's good. They have zero bad losses and have some good wins. They're just too schizo to make a run through a tournament where they have to play well several games in a row.

Yea I agree. I think most Michigan fans are quite pleased with how it has worked out so far. 

This year, the goal is just to be in the tournament. If we can make it to the second weekend, that'd be awesome. But just get in the tournament - solid season. Then go from there.
Agree with this. We got a little overly excited with the big wins early, but this is probably about where we expected to be going into the season. We lost three early entrants to the NBA last year, so even without the coaching change, a step back was expected.

Seeing good development out of Johns, Brooks, and DeJulius is very encouraging.

What do Michigan fans think so far about Howard as coach? 
Possibly is bringing in the best recruiting class for Michigan since the Fab 5.  Looks like a solid players coach and using NBA ties and personality to bring in a boatload highly touted recruits.  Big men will love to come and be coached by such an accomplished center.  

Here are the commits so far..

Zeb Jackson, SG

Maumee (Maumee, OH) 

6-2 / 160

Isaiah Todd, PF

(Raleigh, NC) 

6-10 / 195

Hunter Dickinson, C

DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) 

7-2 / 255

Terrance Williams, PF

Gonzaga (Washington, DC) 

6-6 / 215

Jace HowardUniversity School (Fort Lauderdale, FL) 

6-7 / 200

With some several other top recruits leaning Michigan. 

Pretty much. I don't hate him, but it took me several years to get REALLY pissed with what he does. @Rich Conway was way out in front on this.

I think he's a decent basketball coach, but I don't believe he can win a national championship without catching lightening in a bottle. He doesn't coach to the players he has, yet he has no system. He also sucks at timeouts :lol:  

Maryland's good. They have zero bad losses and have some good wins. They're just too schizo to make a run through a tournament where they have to play well several games in a row.
All of this.  He's a third tier coach, and Maryland needs a first/second tier to become annual top ten threats.  They have consistently underperformed expectations relative to their talent.

And yes, the lack of any cohesive offensive system drives me nuts.  They played great the other night when they ran and played up tempo, and their offense has stagnated for nine years in the half court, yet his first comment after the game was that he wanted them to slow down.

This Mi/OSU game is absurd. The refs aren't calling anything - on either side. As Bilas said, "freedom of movement is dead."

PSU winning in East Lansing was a surprise.  Maybe they are for real.  The B1G is ridiculous this year.

Terps did their usual thing.  Defense, free throws, and stagnant offense.  Any offensive identity and game plan at all would turn this team into a true contender.

PSU winning in East Lansing was a surprise.  Maybe they are for real.  The B1G is ridiculous this year.

Terps did their usual thing.  Defense, free throws, and stagnant offense.  Any offensive identity and game plan at all would turn this team into a true contender.
I didn't watch the whole game, but they were getting a ton of open looks in the first half. They just couldn't make 'em.

whoknew said:
This Mi/OSU game is absurd. The refs aren't calling anything - on either side. As Bilas said, "freedom of movement is dead."
The refs were definitely letting them “play”.   It wasn’t pretty to watch.   

Users who are viewing this thread