What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

I can not remember a season like this one, where it feels like 90% of the games could be won by either team.  Even Nebraska, which is second to last, is not a gimme (at least not playing at their place, where they've beaten Purdue and Iowa).  All of that said, it's VERY difficult to win on the road in this conference.  

There are definitely 12 teams that CAN make the dance, but it's just not mathematically possible for all 12 to get in.  It's certainly possible that somebody gets in with a less-than-500 conference record.  But, there are going to be multiple teams below that mark (beyond just Northwestern and Nebraska).  

The way I see it, there are three pretty much locks (MSU, ILL, MD), three that are in unless they have an epic collapse (Iowa, PSU, Rutgers), and six that could easily play their way in or out.  It's probably most likely that three of the six get in, and three are left out.  But, depending on where the six fall in the conference standings, and which ones win a game or two in the conference tournament, it's POSSIBLE that four of the six make it (for a total of 10).  Hard to fathom a scenario where it's more than that, as they're all going to be playing each other down the stretch (in conference, as well as the B10 tourney).

Should be interesting.  

Good win for Maryland at Illinois last night. They were getting smoked early, then Turgeon switched to a zone defense. That seemed to kick the Terps in the ###, and they rolled from there.

Nebraska up next in College Park, then off to East Lansing next weekend.

@Rich Conway whatcha think?

Hear Livers is a GTD. He was the same the last time State played umaa. Then he proceeded to sit out 5 games. lol

Is Jeff Jackson starting today for umaa? Did he make curfew last night? lol

Hopefully less turnovers and better shooting percentage in the first half then they’ve had the past couple weeks will get the win for State today. If they go down 16 by the 12 minute mark as has been the trend lately probably chalk it up as an L

GOGREEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Good win for Maryland at Illinois last night. They were getting smoked early, then Turgeon switched to a zone defense. That seemed to kick the Terps in the ###, and they rolled from there.

Nebraska up next in College Park, then off to East Lansing next weekend.

@Rich Conway whatcha think?
Gotta admit, I didn't pay much attention for most of it.  I'm finding I just don't enjoy the games the way I used to.  Maybe it's the Catch-22 of wanting the team to win while recognizing that the more they win, the more likely it becomes that Turgeon keeps his job.  Frankly, I'm starting to fear that this season winds up like the Sweet 16 season a few years back.  Yeah, they made the Sweet 16, but they didn't really impress doing it, and Turgeon got an extension for making it.

It's difficult for me to figure out if he's actually doing a better job this year.  Seems hard to believe that he is, especially given their penchant for falling behind by double digits every single game.  It's easier to believe that they're just more talented than their competition.  Or maybe not.  Maybe he has learned something.

Big win in Ann Arbor for the good guys.

Sure is nice to have Livers back. #goblue
First half was almost unwatchable for both sides.   With livers it's a completely different team.   I haven't watched a lot of recent games,  but man Teske looks real bad compared to last year. 

First half was almost unwatchable for both sides.   With livers it's a completely different team.   I haven't watched a lot of recent games,  but man Teske looks real bad compared to last year. 
He (Teske) had  a horrible first half. He was somewhat better in the second half (including an awesome one handed alley oop).

But your point is fair - he's not as good as last year.

Not sure how this State team is projected to be a 4th seed. I’m not seeing it. They are extremely soft, lost m inconsistent and one-dimensional. Can’t believe the regression in X. He was playing like a beast last year at this time. 

They did lose 3 in a row right about this time last year and made it to the F4. But that team was a different team mentalily and were playing very tough. Killer instinct. This team looks lost save for Cash. They definitely look like a first week out in the tourney this season. 

Total collapse only to win it at almost the last second on a thundering slam dunk by X vs. a very tough Illini team. I’ll take it. Good win for the Good Guys in Green!!

GOGREEN

Total collapse only to win it at almost the last second on a thundering slam dunk by X vs. a very tough Illini team. I’ll take it. Good win for the Good Guys in Green!!

GOGREEN
If only we took the lid off the basket in the first half.  Hopefully Ayo can still play this year, they way his knee twisted looked bad, would have been nice to get a last second shot given his history of making them.

I still find college basketball less and less enjoyable based on the way the officials call games.  I feel like most called ticky-tack fouls are ruining the game, slowing it down and handcuffing defensive effort.  On the other hand, watching the MSU/Ill game last night, I probably saw at least 6 traveling calls that were not made.  Maybe I'm just an old fart (get off my lawn), but I find myself more upset with calls/missed calls than appreciating and enjoying games anymore.

FWIW... I think the officiating in the B1G is significantly worse than other conferences.

I still find college basketball less and less enjoyable based on the way the officials call games.  I feel like most called ticky-tack fouls are ruining the game, slowing it down and handcuffing defensive effort.  On the other hand, watching the MSU/Ill game last night, I probably saw at least 6 traveling calls that were not made.  Maybe I'm just an old fart (get off my lawn), but I find myself more upset with calls/missed calls than appreciating and enjoying games anymore.

FWIW... I think the officiating in the B1G is significantly worse than other conferences.
They just need to be consistent.  Early in the game Dachich was talking about how the "big musculer refs don't seem to call the little fouls, they understand that contact happens" then towards the end of the game they started calling everything a foul.  Frazier was called for a foul running between a screener and his guy, with almost no contact.   If you let guys beat each other up in the first half, let them bump into each other in the second.

Funny. I completely disagree with you. This year has been really bad, because the refs have let everything go. But I want fouls called. Freedom of movement is really important - it makes games a lot more enjoyable to watch. The last thing I want to do is watch the 1994 NY Knicks win 78-70.

Funny. I completely disagree with you. This year has been really bad, because the refs have let everything go. But I want fouls called. Freedom of movement is really important - it makes games a lot more enjoyable to watch. The last thing I want to do is watch the 1994 NY Knicks win 78-70.
I actually think we are on the same page.  Fouls that are fouls should be called.  Hand checks and movement fouls (except for blatant blocking/charging) should be left alone.  They don't allow defense to be played.

They just need to be consistent.  Early in the game Dachich was talking about how the "big musculer refs don't seem to call the little fouls, they understand that contact happens" then towards the end of the game they started calling everything a foul.  Frazier was called for a foul running between a screener and his guy, with almost no contact.   If you let guys beat each other up in the first half, let them bump into each other in the second.
Don't even get me started on Doosh Dachich... 

Reading his post I'm sure your mind went right to that Ohio/Michigan fist fight last week too. No matter what's done BUT REFS will always be cried about, but there's a balance between the ticky tack and whatever that was in Ann Arbor last week that needs to be found...umm, now. Basketball is a contact sport and should be called accordingly.

I actually think we are on the same page.  Fouls that are fouls should be called.  Hand checks and movement fouls (except for blatant blocking/charging) should be left alone.  They don't allow defense to be played.
Yea I think you are both saying the same thing.

Reading his post I'm sure your mind went right to that Ohio/Michigan fist fight last week too. No matter what's done BUT REFS will always be cried about, but there's a balance between the ticky tack and whatever that was in Ann Arbor last week that needs to be found...umm, now. Basketball is a contact sport and should be called accordingly.
Agreed

Basketball is a contact sport and should be called accordingly.
Most fans seem to be in agreement that a simple nut-punch delivered while fighting through a moving screen in the lane is not only a foul, but fully deserving of a game-changing flagrant penalty AND a one-game suspension.  Its crazy.  I'm tellin ya, the'll have these boys wearing skirts in a few years the way this is heading.

Welp - that was one of the craziest games I've seen in at least a day or two. Both teams played lights-out for extended periods and both teams played like crap for extended periods. 

I thought Maryland was toast when MSU took the lead. They looked gassed and that gym was rocking. Cowan deserves all the credit Bilas was giving him, but - to me - the biggest shot was Jalen Smith's 3 right before Cowan went off. It stopped the bleeding.

MSU ranked or not, that was MD's biggest win of the year(s). It was a big monkey off of their backs. I don't know Turgeon's record against Izzo, but it has to be putrid.

Bilas hammered it to the point that I wanted to choke him, but he was right - both teams need a reliable 3rd scorer.

I love watching Tillman play. He's having fun, but plays his ### off too. Best wishes to he and his wife on the birth of their next child.

Did Winston have an off night, or is he always been that bad defensively?

Last edited by a moderator:
With Livers Michigan plays like a top 15 team.  Without Livers their play is unworthy of any post season tourney.  He raises the level of the players around him.  

Michigan rolled IU today in Ann Arbor.

What's the word on Archie? IU is pretty much a bubble team. Does he have to make the tournament to survive? Is just making it enough?

Michigan rolled IU today in Ann Arbor.

What's the word on Archie? IU is pretty much a bubble team. Does he have to make the tournament to survive? Is just making it enough?
He probably gets one more year.  Maybe look to get a Knight protege, but no idea who that could be.  Alford has disappointed.  No way they could get Chris Beard from Texas Tech.  

Maryland shot 5 of 11 from deep in the first half, went cold and missed 10 straight in the second half, then closed with 4 straight makes to end the game.  I still can't shake the feeling that Maryland doesn't have a cohesive half court offense and it's going to bite them in the postseason.

So Beilein is about to be fired and collect something north of $30 million for failing in the NBA.  Does he retire or go back to coaching college?  Could he go to Indiana?  

WOW 

I don't get the chance to follow the Illini much outside of box scores but thought they were dead with Dosunmu out. Looks like he returned tonight. HUGE win to stop their 4 game losing streak.
The second half was painful to watch.  I think Illinois had like 5 shot clock violations almost consecutive, just doing their dribble weave then getting caught in a sideline trap.   In the first half Gieorgi Bezhanisvilli must have missed 5 point blank layups, something is broke in him this year.

Are all Fox Sports 1 games that stupid "Live All Access" crap?  Seemed like during the plays they had the crowd mics turned up, both coaches mics were hot, and then the commentators, could barely undestand anything.  And the actual screen for the game was like half size so they could show cameras on both coaches.  All together stupid.  You want to show/hear the coaches during timeouts and dead balls, fine, some of that was interesting, but not duing the plays.

UOFI_316 said:
The second half was painful to watch.  I think Illinois had like 5 shot clock violations almost consecutive, just doing their dribble weave then getting caught in a sideline trap.   In the first half Gieorgi Bezhanisvilli must have missed 5 point blank layups, something is broke in him this year.

Are all Fox Sports 1 games that stupid "Live All Access" crap?  Seemed like during the plays they had the crowd mics turned up, both coaches mics were hot, and then the commentators, could barely undestand anything.  And the actual screen for the game was like half size so they could show cameras on both coaches.  All together stupid.  You want to show/hear the coaches during timeouts and dead balls, fine, some of that was interesting, but not duing the plays.

Jesus. Your team won.

Users who are viewing this thread