What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (3 Viewers)

big Meltdown by Purdue in Iowa City last night. glad to see it.

Tough 5-game stretch for the Spartans up coming.  Id be happy to come out of it 3-2. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Iowa is starting to gel. With four starting freshman it has taken some time but behind one of the top players in the country in Jok they are getting better and better each and every week.

That was ugly, but I'll take it.  Seems like a road win is gold, however it happens.
I hear ya. Soon as I typed my last post, they went on like a 12-0 run. Missed way too many FTs down the stretch, but I like that they play hard even when not playing well. 

How are the Terps 16-2?  Worst 16-2 team ever?  They're not even ranked, lol.
They won a bunch of close games, but haven't beaten many good teams - schizo Indiana (seriously, what the hell is up with THEM?), OKST, Michigan,and K State are probably the best.

Maryland's a weird team. They have a proven veteran star in Trimble, they play hard, and their Gs rebound as a group about as well as a fan could hope. The 3 freshman have been outstanding. But they're way too inconsistent shooting for a team that has no inside presence. 

Unless either disaster strikes or they go on a tremendous roll, I expect they'll be somewhere between a 7 and a 10 seed in the NCAAs. They could win a game once there (maybe two if I dare to dream and they can shoot), which I think would be a good season for them.

Iowa is starting to gel. With four starting freshman it has taken some time but behind one of the top players in the country in Jok they are getting better and better each and every week.
I think Maryland plays them this week. Does Iowa still have that eye-poking dude?

The Hawkeyes play Northwestern today and then Maryland on Thursday I think.
I haven't seen Iowa yet this year but, if it's a typical Maryland game, expect all kinds of ugly basketball. Iowa's win over Purdue is better than any of the Terps' wins.

This Terps team reminds me of the Raiders this year.  It's great that they're winning, and I love the fight to the finish attitude, but I can't shake the feeling that it's all smoke and mirrors.

Indiana turns it around starting today.  Ohio St. doesn't.  The Iowa/Northwestern game should be a great one.  Have to give the edge to NW due to home court.

This Terps team reminds me of the Raiders this year.  It's great that they're winning, and I love the fight to the finish attitude, but I can't shake the feeling that it's all smoke and mirrors.
Interesting. I mean - from an outsider's POV - losing Carr was a catastrophe for the Raiders and I definitely think they'd have beaten Houston last week with him (Cook may have played the worst I've ever seen a playoff QB play - ever), and would have had a decent chance of beating NE yesterday. I thought they were legit at full strength.

As for Maryland, I agree that they're not "16-2 good". They are dangerous, though.

As an aside, Trimble gets some grief from Terps fans because he didn't either turn into Juan Dixon or because he "wasn't good enough" to go pro ( :loco:  ). I have never seen a Maryland  backcourt player who could finish in the paint like he does, though. Plus, he'll defend. I think he's taken for granted by a lot of Terps fans.

Indiana turns it around starting today.  Ohio St. doesn't.  The Iowa/Northwestern game should be a great one.  Have to give the edge to NW due to home court.
Beating Rutgers is hardly "turning it around"

Too many stupid turnovers. Not enough made free throws. Not going to win anything on the road in the B1G playing like that. Young team that will continue to learn. Miles coming on but still playing like he missed a bunch of time.

If we had a gameplan today, I'm not sure what it was. Eventually the plan became "weave until someone's open", except Ohio State defended well for the most part. All the credit goes to Ohio State for playing much better than they have so far this year.

Iowa's youth showed tonight. They didn't cover the 3pt shooters on the perimeter and they drained 3 pointer after 3 pointer. 

Have to give credit to Northwestern they came out aggressive and played with lots of intensity on offense and defense both and holding Jok to his worst game of the season.

Other than Wisconsin & Maryland, every team has at least 2 conference losses. This will be an interesting season.
If this continues, it could have a devastating effect on at large tournament seeding. We need some cream (crean? ;) ) to rise to the top.

What a poor game the Terps played. Shocked they escaped with a win over Iowa. So.Many.Turnovers.
The turnovers were hideous, as was allowing Iowa to grab 20 offensive rebounds.  On the other hand, 56% shooting and 48% from three can cover a lot of flaws.  Didn't hurt that Iowa was 7 of 28 from three, too.  In any case, it's a conference road win.  I'll take it.

Tough break for Indiana this week.  Sounds like Anunoby is done for the season.  Hope he makes a full recovery.

Terps and Hawkeyes get the weekend off, but there are some good games today.  Winner of Michigan/Illinois moves solidly into the middle of the pack, while the loser will drop to 2-5 and have a tough climb back up.  Sparty at Hoosiers and Badgers at Gophers should both be fun.  Hoping I get to watch at least one of the two.

Hoosiers & Sparty playing tight so far. Offensive boards will be yuge in this game i think

IU up by 14 at the half

Hoosiers win by 7

B1G 2016-17 after one third of the season:

Rutgers > Nebraska > Maryland > Indiana > Illinois > Michigan > Penn St > Minnesota > Purdue > Wisconsin > Ohio St > Michigan St > Northwestern > Iowa > Rutgers

Rutgers > Nebraska > Maryland > Indiana > Illinois > Michigan > Penn St > Minnesota > Purdue > Wisconsin > Ohio St > Michigan St > Northwestern > Iowa > Rutgers
It's crazy. I have to look at the standings at least once a week because I keep going "what a minute; remind me again: who is supposed to be good?"

I guess it's stating the obvious to say the Big 10 is just not very good this season. It's bad. How bad? Wisconsin, Maryland and Purdue seem to be the class of the conference, and I don't expect any of them to even get a 4 seed. I'm not really a bracket guy though. When was the last time the conference champion was a 5 or lower? I'm old and forgetful, so expect someone to point out it just happened a couple years ago.  Nonetheless, it's pretty bad. 

It's crazy. I have to look at the standings at least once a week because I keep going "what a minute; remind me again: who is supposed to be good?"

CletiusMaximus said:
I guess it's stating the obvious to say the Big 10 is just not very good this season. It's bad. How bad? Wisconsin, Maryland and Purdue seem to be the class of the conference, and I don't expect any of them to even get a 4 seed. I'm not really a bracket guy though. When was the last time the conference champion was a 5 or lower? I'm old and forgetful, so expect someone to point out it just happened a couple years ago.  Nonetheless, it's pretty bad. 
Wisconsin, and I see very little way they get less than a 4 seed.  So many players.  bigs and 2 good guards.  Trice is a good backup for Bronson.

That might have been the worst defensive performance I've ever seen for Indiana last night?  They look completely lost.

Ruckers ;)  is beating up on Wisconsin in the first half. WTF?

Going into OT. Rutgers missed a lot of FTs

Mercifully the Badgers pull out the win in OT.

Ruckers ;)  is beating up on Wisconsin in the first half. WTF?

Going into OT. Rutgers missed a lot of FTs

Mercifully the Badgers pull out the win in OT.
:X

That was some awful shooting all the way around. 9/46 from the field in the first 37 minutes won't keep you in many games. But they played pretty good defense and then closed out on 11/14 shooting.

OG out for season, Blackmon now out indefinitely with "lower leg injury". Hoosiers in tailspin.

Not making the tournament a strong reality. 

Users who are viewing this thread