What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (3 Viewers)

All I can say is... wow... Terps beat the worst team in the B1G, lets not get an inflated sense of well being. We need to beat Izzo in his month. 

It's a difficult position.  Fire a coach and you might end up with worse.  I don't know if coaches and their agents will covertly entertain discussions; for example, is it possible to reach out to Marshall's agent prior to firing Turgeon to gauge interest?
Marshall to follow in Turgeons footstep once again. Interesting.

Gary took over a program about to be heavily sanctioned, and played fewer games. I don't remember the circumstances when Lefty took over.  In any case, given the much larger number of games now, looking at winning percentage would be more telling.

I've never been convinced he can take the program where it needs to go.  I'm less convinced today than, say, two years ago.  At that time, there had been improvement and additional recruiting success.  Today, we've now seen multiple years of the team falling apart down the stretch in February.

Regarding the question "what if I was in charge", I'm not sure.  Because of the ill-advised six year extension, the school can't afford to move on, at least right now.  I would not have given him the extension he got, certainly.  If I was taking over right now, and what's already done is done, I think I'd give him 2-3 years to show improvement, especially in the areas I mentioned.
Maryland could always jump to the BigPacTwentyUSA conference for a bucket o cash, There's precedent for that. ;)  

I think 2-3 more years is fair. Extensions are often used as show of consistency to help recruiting. Most teams don't get the one and done players Calipari goes after.

Fine, I'll look it up myself.

Winning percentages for first five years as Maryland head coach:

Lefty: .704

Turgeon: .659

Williams: 535

Regarding the question "what if I was in charge", I'm not sure.  Because of the ill-advised six year extension, the school can't afford to move on, at least right now.
This hits home for me, and, at least in our instance, it reeked of an athletic director trying to run a victory lap of sorts when things were great.  When the fiscal/strategic reality was you already had a fair deal and should let it play out and you didn't need to pile on just to make a cool halftime show.

We have played it out though, or at least close to it.

Crean's buyout today is $4,000,000, but Indiana's fiscal year ends June 30th and then it becomes $1,000,000.  This is down from like $11,000,000-$9,000,000 originally.

Any arguments that Caleb Swanigan is not the best player in the country?

He reminds me of Tim Duncan.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hits home for me, and, at least in our instance, it reeked of an athletic director trying to run a victory lap of sorts when things were great.  When the fiscal/strategic reality was you already had a fair deal and should let it play out and you didn't need to pile on just to make a cool halftime show.

We have played it out though, or at least close to it.

Crean's buyout today is $4,000,000, but Indiana's fiscal year ends June 30th and then it becomes $1,000,000.  This is down from like $11,000,000-$9,000,000 originally.
Mark Cuban probably has 4 mil between his sofa cushions.  

Garrett said:
Any arguments that Caleb Swanigan is not the best player in the country?

He reminds me of Tim Duncan.
He's been a beast but man, I thought he traveled a lot against the Gophers earlier this year. Just sayin. Not to nitpick because he's a helluva player; refs have just been so bad that it stood out to me. 

Gophers are going to be a tough out in the NCAA Tournament.  :unsure:  If Lynch and Murphy stay out of foul trouble they could do some damage. 

Guards are playing with a ton of confidence right now. Springs with an off-night and McBreyer on fire off the bench again, just doing whatever he wanted to tonight. Mason leading the way. Awesome team defense.

Let's beat Wisconsin!!!

That was an ugly loss in Madison.  The wheels have fallen off the Badgers and they have the look of a team with only three games left in their season.

Their offense, which is rarely a thing of beauty to begin with, looks clumsy and tentative.   35% from the line is just pathetic and a performance like tonight's could affect Happ's approach to the game. 

My hope is that the same talent is still there   But this is the toughest coaching challenge in the brief career of Greg Gard.

That was an ugly loss in Madison.  The wheels have fallen off the Badgers and they have the look of a team with only three games left in their season.

Their offense, which is rarely a thing of beauty to begin with, looks clumsy and tentative.   35% from the line is just pathetic and a performance like tonight's could affect Happ's approach to the game. 

My hope is that the same talent is still there   But this is the toughest coaching challenge in the brief career of Greg Gard.
Bucky is poop.

That said, there's no reason for Jok to shoot 2 FTS on his flagrant 1 on Showalter. Should never been a foul. Guess that's just Fran's way of coaching dirty.

Regardless, if I'm the coach of Temple or whoever draws Bucky in the tourney, I double and play hack-a-Shaq on Hayes and Happ. They cannot shoot FTS as a team but those two are the ones who suck most at it.

Bucky is poop.

That said, there's no reason for Jok to shoot 2 FTS on his flagrant 1 on Showalter. Should never been a foul. Guess that's just Fran's way of coaching dirty.

Regardless, if I'm the coach of Temple or whoever draws Bucky in the tourney, I double and play hack-a-Shaq on Hayes and Happ. They cannot shoot FTS as a team but those two are the ones who suck most at it.
LOL, coaching his players to play dirty. He coaches his players to play hard for the entire game. It was very clear to me that that elbow was not intentional.

Was going to post the pic of Bohannon holding up the arm after nailing that 3, but will refrain out of respect for you and DW.

Man I love that kid.  No fear at all taking the big shot.  After 4 years of the rumbling cluster#### that was Mike Gesell it's just a breath of fresh air.  This group of Freshmen are very exciting for the Hawks.

krsone21 said:
LOL, coaching his players to play dirty. He coaches his players to play hard for the entire game. It was very clear to me that that elbow was not intentional.
You must have had your eye poked out. Sorry for the sensitive Iowa fan but there's a history there. The comment was tongue in cheek but that just proves that Fran fans don't care about sportsmanship. Best of luck to you and your team

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Bucky, playing our way to a 1 seed ......in the NIT.
Meh, Bucky is poop but they're a lock for the real tourney.

rodg12 said:
Was going to post the pic of Bohannon holding up the arm after nailing that 3, but will refrain out of respect for you and DW.

Man I love that kid.  No fear at all taking the big shot.  After 4 years of the rumbling cluster#### that was Mike Gesell it's just a breath of fresh air.  This group of Freshmen are very exciting for the Hawks.
I get no respect? He's a Marquette fan  ;)

Bohannon's younger brother played for the Badgers. He didn't get much playing time but he was a crowd favorite. He was Showalter without the talent. I'll give anyone props that shows that kind of effort. Hate Iowa, but like the Bohannon family

I doubt any coach coaches players to play dirty (well, maybe K, given the 20 year history of dirty players), but there is some recent history of another Iowa player repeatedly poking eyes.  Didn't catch the Jok play; anyone got a link?

Starting to wonder if the Hawkeyes can get themselves a bid. Beat Iowa State, but the rest of the non-conference is pretty ugly.  Right now, I'd put Illinois ahead of Iowa (and Illinois swept Iowa), but it's close.

krsone21 said:
I'm fine with how that play was called.  Showy grabbed him which is a foul and Jok elbowed him in the head which is a flagrant.  One of the few plays the refs got right. They were terrible on both sides.  Still can't believe they let that travel go on that 3 before halftime.  Bohanon was on roller skates there.  With that being said the Badgers still pissed that game away. They are in a terrible funk who are lacking emotion right now.  I'm such they will be favored on Sunday against the Gophs.  Free money for you gamblers as the Gophers are a much better team right now.  I am excited about the Freshman class coming in so there's always next year.

I'm fine with how that play was called.  Showy grabbed him which is a foul and Jok elbowed him in the head which is a flagrant.  One of the few plays the refs got right. They were terrible on both sides.  Still can't believe they let that travel go on that 3 before halftime.  Bohanon was on roller skates there.  With that being said the Badgers still pissed that game away. They are in a terrible funk who are lacking emotion right now.  I'm such they will be favored on Sunday against the Gophs.  Free money for you gamblers as the Gophers are a much better team right now.  I am excited about the Freshman class coming in so there's always next year.
What made it a cluster was somehow going back to review it after Jok made the first FT.  I don't think they can do that.  Can't review something after the next play has completed.

Jok would'nt have UN-INTENIONALLY elbowed him in the head if Showy didn't grab him around the waist first.

Bulls**##$T call .  Never seen a call made AFTER a free throw......
That was bad by the refs but he did elbow him in the head which is a flagrant all day.  

Good Lord. I'm not a betting man anymore, but Maryland is favored by 4.5 today over the Izzos. Has Vegas WATCHED Maryland lately?

At least Rutgers has good walking distance food/coffee options near the RAC :)   Got here way too early.  Hope it's a good day for the Illini :)

-QG

No, but seriously thinking about getting tickets next year at MSG.  That's about 80 minutes each way, and there are a couple Purdue grads I know that would probably join me.
For some reason, I thought you were in Los Angeles. I guess that would be a fast train, though :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread