What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hercules Hochuli Must Be Fired (1 Viewer)

Agreed. He screwed up play after play after play in the first Jets/Bills game. He should have been gone a long time ago.

What did he do? Examples please...not that I doubt the validity of the thread, just want to know exactly what happened.
Hr reviewed a Big Ben fumble that was clearly moving before he was down but didn't overturn it. I have rooting stakes for the Steelers in this game, but that was a blown call IMO.My biggest problem with this crew is the amount of ticky tack flags they throw effect the flow of the game. I see it week after week.

What did he do? Examples please...not that I doubt the validity of the thread, just want to know exactly what happened.
Hr reviewed a Big Ben fumble that was clearly moving before he was down but didn't overturn it. I have rooting stakes for the Steelers in this game, but that was a blown call IMO.My biggest problem with this crew is the amount of ticky tack flags they throw effect the flow of the game. I see it week after week.
And how many of those are thrown by Hochuli?

Hr reviewed a Big Ben fumble that was clearly moving before he was down but didn't overturn it. I have rooting stakes for the Steelers in this game, but that was a blown call IMO.

My biggest problem with this crew is the amount of ticky tack flags they throw effect the flow of the game. I see it week after week.
:lmao:

On a related note, anyone catch Triplette totally screw up the rules for overtime before the coin toss in the DEN-SD game?

Between that and the PIT-DET "heads" debacle years ago, the guy must pray for games to be decided in regulation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed is still one of the best refs, I also like Carey, Steratore, Riveron, Boger, there are a few of the much older refs that I hate when they are doing my teams game.

Whoever is in charge of calling holding in this game shouldn't be allowed to operate heavy machinery due to his visual impairment.

But Herc has to get some camera time :rolleyes:

But Herc has to get some camera time :rolleyes:
he's the refwhen his crew throws a flag, he makes the announcement :confused:

Most of the holding calls on the OL are thrown by the umpire standing behind them....

I would really like to see the stats of this crew compared with others. My guess is that they throw WAY more holding calls and penalties in general.

It is borderline unwatchable when Hochuli's crew is working the game.

Hr reviewed a Big Ben fumble that was clearly moving before he was down but didn't overturn it. I have rooting stakes for the Steelers in this game, but that was a blown call IMO.

My biggest problem with this crew is the amount of ticky tack flags they throw effect the flow of the game. I see it week after week.
Gonna have to do better than that. It seemed pretty clear that the ball moved, but he got it back before falling to the ground.You must have more egregious calls in your tank than that one!

The "ball was loose in his hand but controlled by his arm" call?Yeah.

as a KC fan...obviously a little partial....but also a ref and I have to say there was every indication that that was a loose ball (becoming a fumble)and very little indication that he "regained control" at any point as he was going to the ground.....the ball was loose all the way through that play and you almost really have to "reach" to find a time that you could say he had "resucured" the ball..had this been a catch/no catch situation, no way that is a completed catch....so with that mindset, conssidering Ben initially had possession and lost it....=...fumble....

On a related note, anyone catch Triplette totally screw up the rules for overtime before the coin toss in the DEN-SD game?Between that and the PIT-DET "heads" debacle years ago, the guy must pray for games to be decided in regulation :)
That was shocking. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And his explanation was not only 100% wrong, but really poorly communicated too. At the end he even gave that awkward "well you know what I mean" look.

as a KC fan...obviously a little partial....but also a ref and I have to say there was every indication that that was a loose ball (becoming a fumble)and very little indication that he "regained control" at any point as he was going to the ground.....the ball was loose all the way through that play and you almost really have to "reach" to find a time that you could say he had "resucured" the ball..had this been a catch/no catch situation, no way that is a completed catch....so with that mindset, conssidering Ben initially had possession and lost it....=...fumble....
So you are saying that the ball was out... clearly... and it was NOT the impact with the ground that made it come completely OUT?Regardless, we are all disputing what we saw (or think we saw) in super slow motion. Ref's made a call in real time, and didn't see enough under the hood to overturn the previous call.

Not enough here to call for the firing of Hochuli... is there? Seriously?

On a related note, anyone catch Triplette totally screw up the rules for overtime before the coin toss in the DEN-SD game?Between that and the PIT-DET "heads" debacle years ago, the guy must pray for games to be decided in regulation :)
That was shocking. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And his explanation was not only 100% wrong, but really poorly communicated too. At the end he even gave that awkward "well you know what I mean" look.
What did he say, i heard the announcers talking about it, but didn't catch it

What did he say, i heard the announcers talking about it, but didn't catch it
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-27/referee-jeff-triplette-gets-ot-rules-wrong-during-coin-flip
Triplette, a veteran referee, said each team would get a possession in OT. The NFL's overtime rules do not permit that. He then corrected himself, saying it would be sudden-death.

So you are saying that the ball was out... clearly... and it was NOT the impact with the ground that made it come completely OUT?Regardless, we are all disputing what we saw (or think we saw) in super slow motion. Ref's made a call in real time, and didn't see enough under the hood to overturn the previous call.

Not enough here to call for the firing of Hochuli... is there? Seriously?
I don't think Hoch should be fired at all...I think he is one of the best.....I just really disagree with his take on that review.....IMO the ball was being fumbled before Ben hit the ground....hitting the ground has nothing to do with the fumble IMO.....Hoch thinks Ben regained control at some point after it was coming loose....I disagree and think there is no visual evidence to support Ben at any point regaining control of the ball as he is going down....

The other error not being talked about is that when Haley challenged the call but did not win the challenge, but the refs DID rule that the spot was incorrect and changed it, under the NFL rules, the Chiefs' challenge still should have been considered successful and should not have lost a timeout.

...had this been a catch/no catch situation, no way that is a completed catch....
Correct, it wouldn't have been a completion were it a forward pass. But that doesn't have any bearing on this play as the rules are different for a forward pass.

This thread is blasphemy.

Nothing better than watching him flex those guns while granting an automatic 1st down.

:wub:

'GroveDiesel said:
The other error not being talked about is that when Haley challenged the call but did not win the challenge, but the refs DID rule that the spot was incorrect and changed it, under the NFL rules, the Chiefs' challenge still should have been considered successful and should not have lost a timeout.
I don't think the rules are very explicit either way. It says the coach has to succeed in his challenge. It doesn't make clear if that means what he specifically stated the challenge was about, or if anything on the play needs to be overturned.

My guess is the NFL has clarified the handling of that, and I'm guessing the refs handled it the way the NFL directed them to.

My vote goes for Tripplette and Winters as the worse. Was really hoping that when Winters got trampled into that pile last week that his glasses would have gotten broken so that way he could get a prescription that actually works with his horrid eyes.

'GroveDiesel said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they got that part right. Haley wasn't challenging the spot, he was challenging that it was a fumble. He lost the challenge.

Honestly he hasnt been right since the charger bronco game of 2008 when he came under fire for the botched call on that fumble. He goes into minute detail now with every penalty like hes talking to a pee wee football camp.

5 refs have apparently been fired.
Where are you getting that? Here says there are 4 vacancies.
Who got fired?
The NFL's official statement was that they weren't getting into names when they made the announcement, but the new roster would be published later this month, and people could figure it out for themselves then.
Here is the list if you want to figure out who is missing.

Hochuli (and son) are in.

I think the NFL needs to institute a policy that they fire a ref every time a fan gets his panties in a wad when a call doesn't go his team's way.

Users who are viewing this thread