What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Gruden (1 Viewer)

Dancing Bear

Footballguy
Am still not sold on the trio for Monday Night Football, but I find it refreshing that Gruden speaks his mind! Especially since it often is counter to Jaworski and Tericho!

Some of those calls last night were awful and I applaud him for saying so.

I believe there were 3 defenseless receiver penalties last night and only one of them was legit, the other two were ticky-tacky and Gruden called them as much!

Player safety is one thing but turning the NFL into ballet is another.

Sometimes he can tend to like everyone too much. That said, I like when he takes off his announcer personality and can be a fan. Like the comment when he was saying, "I know I sound like a cheerleader" when talking about D. Brees scramble and pass as he was crossing the LOS. Later, they did a replay showing Brees eyes "always going down the field". I loved the analysis.

When the game was out of hand, he broke out the crutches to the Sean Payton schtick, and I laughed. He keeps the game from getting into a total snorefest.

Jon Gruden is the man on Monday night. He and Collinsworth are 2 of the more insightful announcers around. Not to mention, they always drop great comments and both speak their mind. It's phenomenal..

the MNF promo for CHI vs DET had gruden saying this: "calvin johnson? devin hester? MAAAAAAAAAAN i love seeing two elite NFL receivers goin' at it!"

why are nfl announcers such kiss-asses? gruden is just like the rest of them. every player is the best in the nfl.

why are nfl announcers such kiss-asses? gruden is just like the rest of them. every player is the best in the nfl.
part of their job is to promote the product. I don't think they're poorly educated or unaware of how to do it, as everyone watch Madden N Michaels. Maybe it's nerves.There is definitely something "overboard" about it that bugs me too.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
Sometimes he can tend to like everyone too much. That said, I like when he takes off his announcer personality and can be a fan. Like the comment when he was saying, "I know I sound like a cheerleader" when talking about D. Brees scramble and pass as he was crossing the LOS. Later, they did a replay showing Brees eyes "always going down the field". I loved the analysis.

When the game was out of hand, he broke out the crutches to the Sean Payton schtick, and I laughed. He keeps the game from getting into a total snorefest.
I found Gruden to be very annoying based on the bolded above. I thought he would perform oral on Drew or Eli if he could, just sayin' ...

Mayock is MUCH better than any current NFL analyst - it's clear after watching a 2011 NFLN telecase in the first few minutes. He isn't the typical "pimp the product guy" - that analysis comes off as fake - he loves breaking down the action . . .

Jon Gruden is the man on Monday night. He and Collinsworth are 2 of the more insightful announcers around. Not to mention, they always drop great comments and both speak their mind. It's phenomenal..
Collinsworth? Wow. Can't stand the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Gruden as a coach, and like what he brings to MNF. Let's face it, the number of people who would be perfect in the role are slim to none, and even their schtick would likely get old to most over time.

Yes, Gruden can be overly enthusiastic, but that's what I actually respect -- a clear love of the game and its players. And he does speak his mind and call out the bad stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread