What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

Jacksonville never came up with any of the trade-down rumors so I felt they had a specific player in mind for their pick. Bortles caught me off guard for a half second but it makes sense and the Jags kept their interest under their hat.

This is the way to do it so good job.

In the past, when teams have kept their interest of QBs taken high in the draft its worked out really well for them in the long-term and the Jags played it by the book so good job. :thumbup:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/09/jaguars-have-loved-bortles-since-last-year-but-kept-it-quiet/

Jaguars have loved Bortles since last year, but kept it quietPosted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
The Jaguars shocked everyone when they chose Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles with the third overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. But in Jacksonville, that was the plan all along.

Jaguars General Manager Dave Caldwell said on Mike & Mike that he fell in love with Bortles during the 2013 college football season and has thought for several months that Bortles would be the Jaguars’ franchise quarterback. But Caldwell kept it quiet.

“This process started early on,” Caldwell said. “The quarterback process went early on in the fall last year and he was a guy that I always felt really strongly about, but I never let my intentions known. I let the process play out, and once our coaches got a hold of all the evaluations of our personnel staff, he became the consensus No. 1, without me influencing anybody. It became very clear to us that he was the guy at the quarterback position that we were going to target.”

Caldwell said he thinks Bortles will be the Jaguars’ starting quarterback for a decade or more, and Caldwell views Bortles as the kind of elite prospect who doesn’t come along very often.

“It was very easy,” Caldwell said. “There’s not a lot of 6-foot-5, 245-pound pro-style quarterbacks with the athleticism Blake has.”

Caldwell added that Chad Henne still has a shot to keep the starting job in Jacksonville, and that the Jaguars would be fine with Bortles not becoming the starter until 2015. But if Bortles, is as good as Jacksonville thinks he is, he should be able to beat out Henne.

c'mon jags fans, take a queue from browns fans

most of them hated the idea of Manziel, but now they are falling in love

believe in Bortles, believe in your front office, it's Bortles time!!!!!!!!!

Rotoworld:

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell "insisted" to ESPN's Britt McHenry that Chad Henne will open the season as Jacksonville's starting quarterback.
The Jags drafted Blake Bortles with the No. 3 overall pick, but don't see him as a pro-ready quarterback. Per McHenry, the Jags do view Bortles as a "once-in-a-lifetime player" who's clearly in need of development and learning to reach his potential. The Jaguars need to fortify their soft offensive line, and bolster a wideout corps currently topped by Cecil Shorts, Ace Sanders, and Mike Brown. In the meantime, they'll continue to throw journeyman Henne to the wolves. The Jaguars' approach to Bortles is inarguably unorthodox, but they at least seem to have a lucid long-term vision.

The Florida Times Union feels No. 3 overall pick Blake Bortles will open the season as the backup to Chad Henne.
Specifically, beat writer Ryan O'Halloran predicts Bortles won't make his first start until Week 8. Bortles' footwork and accuracy need work, as well as some cleaning up of his mechanics. No matter who is under center come Week 1 for the Jaguars, OC Jedd Fisch is going to lean on Toby Gerhart and the running game. Bortles' time should come sooner rather than later.

Related: Chad Henne

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter
ESPN's Britt McHenry reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Jaguars would have drafted Blake Bortles even if Jadeveon Clowney slipped to No. 3.
Per McHenry, the Jaguars view Bortles as a "once in a generation" type of quarterback prospect. We're not sure we buy this pure-hindsight report, but there's no question Jacksonville is exceedingly high on Bortles, considering they drafted him over Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, and Mike Evans. The Jaguars' current plan is to sit Bortles for most of the 2014 season. Expect them to bolster their offensive line and/or wide receiver corps at picks 39 and 70.

Jaguars are in the conversation for best draft in the league, not worst. I know everyone panned the Bortles pick, but he was the #1 QB on a lot of people's boards, and a legit prototype QB prospect. They're going to let him sit for a while, so he doesn't get David Carr'ed. And now they got him one of the consensus best receivers in the draft as an absolute steal that late in the draft. If they'd taken Watkins and gotten Carr in the second, would they be better off? Maybe. But if you really believe that Bortles is a franchise QB worthy of the #3 overall pick, then give me the great QB and good WR over the good QB and great WR all day, every day.

The Jags probably won't compete this year, but they should be an improved team over last year's squad, which looked surprisingly decent during the second half of the season. And in 2015, with another year of seasoning for a decent defense, a year of clipboard holding and occasional play from their franchise QB, a year of experience for Lee, another set of draft picks, and maybe even getting Blackmon back... this team could contend for the division in 2015.

bostonfred said:
Jaguars are in the conversation for best draft in the league, not worst. I know everyone panned the Bortles pick, but he was the #1 QB on a lot of people's boards, and a legit prototype QB prospect. They're going to let him sit for a while, so he doesn't get David Carr'ed. And now they got him one of the consensus best receivers in the draft as an absolute steal that late in the draft. If they'd taken Watkins and gotten Carr in the second, would they be better off? Maybe. But if you really believe that Bortles is a franchise QB worthy of the #3 overall pick, then give me the great QB and good WR over the good QB and great WR all day, every day.

The Jags probably won't compete this year, but they should be an improved team over last year's squad, which looked surprisingly decent during the second half of the season. And in 2015, with another year of seasoning for a decent defense, a year of clipboard holding and occasional play from their franchise QB, a year of experience for Lee, another set of draft picks, and maybe even getting Blackmon back... this team could contend for the division in 2015.
:goodposting: Hopefully this franchise is turning the corner. We've suffered through some really bad personnel decisions and horrid QB play. I'm hoping to hell that Bortles will develop into the guy.

Jaguars draft receivers Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Jacksonville Jaguars added two pass catcher to go along with first-round quarterback Blake Bortles.

The Jags nabbed receiver Marqise Lee with the seventh pick in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. They then added Penn State's Allen Robinson with the No. 61 overall pick.

General manager Dave Caldwell knew he needed to added receivers with questions about the future of Justin Blackmon. In that vain, he added the top-rated receiver left entering the second day of the draft.

Lee is a dynamic playmaker who will look very good across from Cecil Shorts. The USC product is uber-athletic, has speed and can navigate in traffic. His terrific run-after-catch ability will be huge in today's age of receiver screens.

Lee was one of the top receivers entering the college season, but was hampered by injury and poor play from University of Southern California quarterbacks.

Some teams flagged Lee's knee injury as a reason he fell out of the first round, and perhaps off their boards completely.

Robinson, on the other hand, has great size at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds and will provide a valuable red-zone target for Bortles. He lacks elite top-end speed, but is quick off the line.

On Day 2, Caldwell went out and secured two dynamic pass-catchers the Jags hope will combine with Bortles for a powerful offense for years to come.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jags tried to trade up to 2.3 with Cleveland to take Marqise Lee, but price was too high.

If they really do redshirt Bortles things look really good for him next year with Lee and Robinson gaining experience. I would not want to throw him into the fire right now but letting him learn the playbook for a year will make it much easier for him and he won't be throwing to rookies.

Interesting look into the Bortles selection:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/74930640/jacksonville-jaguars-evaluation-of-blake-bortles#!LMFlB

May 10, 2014

JACKSONVILLE'S DEEP PICK

Jacksonville Jaguars general manager David Cadwell had Blake Bortles in mind for six months before drafting him No. 3 overall on Thursday.

Perhaps the most fascinating pick of the NFL draft was the third. More fascinating was the process that led to the pick. This is the story of how Blake Bortles became a Jaguar.

October

The Jaguars are 0-8. General manager Dave Caldwell is starting to think about the possibility of having the first pick in the draft. And he is staring at his quarterback depth chart. Blaine Gabbert. Chad Henne. Ricky Stanzi. Denard Robinson, if you call him a quarterback. Matt Scott on the practice squad. The future leader of the Jaguars offense has to be somewhere else.

So Caldwell looks wherever passes were thrown on college campuses, from Washington to Miami. At this time of the college season, Central Florida, just a couple hours from Caldwell's home, is starting to make some noise. The Knights nearly beat 12th-ranked South Carolina behind a big, strong-armed quarterback named Blake Bortles, who throws for a career-high 358 yards. Hardly anybody heard of the name a couple months earlier, but Caldwell had. Then Central Florida upsets No. 8 Louisville when Bortles leads the Knights on an 11-play drive, concluding with a game-winning touchdown pass with 23 seconds left. Teddy Bridgewater, the highest rated quarterback by almost every draft expert, is sitting on the sidelines watching. In the two minutes, 33 seconds it takes to go 75 yards, Bortles becomes somebody.

It is not even Halloween, but already Bortles hovers at the top of Caldwell's list of quarterbacks. "We were scouring quarterbacks not only in this year's class, but next year's class too," Caldwell says. "We always stay a year ahead of that. I felt all along that if he went back to school, he'd probably be the first pick in the draft next year."

December

Jaguars scouts convene for personnel meetings. They discuss every player on their draft list. Through the college season, Caldwell never speaks of his attraction to Bortles. Not to head coach Gus Bradley. Not to college scouting director Kyle O'Brien. Not to team owner Shad Khan. Not even to his wife Joelle. What's more, he tells his coaches not to discuss prospects with scouts. He asks offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch not to talk about quarterback ratings with QB coach Frank Scelfo. "I didn't want to influence anyone, or for anyone to be influenced by anyone else," he says. "I wanted guys to come back with their own evaluations and see if we could find a consensus. They came back with a consensus [that Bortles] was the best quarterback for our system."

Whenever someone asks him about Bortles, he is reticent. "I'm a little superstitious," he says. "I didn't even want to say his name, to be honest with you".

He is quietly pleased, however, when Jaguars scouts mention Bortles' name and attach high grades to it. After the meeting, the Jaguars assign a crosscheck scout to study Bortles. He never has seen Bortles previously and rates him the best quarterback in the draft. Later, when coaches become involved in the process, each of them will identify Bortles as their favorite.

The Jaguars also start running analytics on prospects. Senior vice president of football technology Tony Khan has some interesting discoveries about Bortles, including that the quarterback excelled in adjusted completion percentage, which STATS lists at 68.99. Khan presents Caldwell with numbers that demonstrate Bortles' productivity under pressure. Analytics also show Bortles was very efficient in keeping drives alive on third down.

Also significant are statistics that highlight Bortles' ability to make plays outside the pocket. On tape, Jaguars scouts see a player who can get outside the tackle box and retain his focus downfield, not losing track of his progressions. The numbers confirm his ability in this area. "For our system, we want a combination of a guy who can create outside the pocket, but also who can stand in the pocket and deliver with pressure in his face," Caldwell said. In the minds of Jaguars decision makers, this combination of abilities is separating Bortles from other top available quarterbacks.

Postseason circuit

While other top quarterback prospects decide not to throw at the combine, Bortles embraces the challenge. He does everything else, too, running the 40-yard dash (4.90) and doing the vertical jump (32½), broad jump (9-6), 20-yard shuttle (4.21) and three cone (7.08). "Knocked it out of the park," Caldwell says.

At Central Florida's pro day on March 19, two days after Bridgewater bombs at his pro day, Bortles goes yard again. Bortles sufficiently impresses a contingent of some 70 evaluators, representing 27 NFL teams. When a sweat-soaked Bortles is finished and starts to walk off the field, Bradley abruptly ends an interview session to run up to him and shake his hand.

At each event, Bortles' personal skills also are impressive. He shows up to EverBank Field for his pre-draft visit with the Jaguars, on April 10, and recognizes Caldwell, Bradley, Shad Khan, Tony Khan, Fisch and Scelfo, addressing each by name.

Draft time

It's the week of the draft, and Caldwell has yet to tell anyone Bortles is his man. Finally, two days before the draft, he breaks down and tells his wife. No one else outside the building knows, and his scouting staff still does not know. Even Bortles has no clue how much he is coveted.

Through the draft process, many of Caldwell's trusted friends on other teams have told him, unsolicited, how much they think of Bortles. He is comforted to know they see the same value in Bortles that he sees. He says some of his friends from other teams tell him Bortles is rated the fourth- or fifth-best player on their boards at any position.

Still, few expect Bortles will be chosen so high. His critics say he has not had sustained success, that his footwork and fundamentals are crude, that he is not NFL-ready.

One of the lessons Caldwell carries from his old bosses in Indianapolis, Bill Polian and Dom Anile, is to check all of the boxes before you use a high draft choice on a player. Caldwell goes through the process. Size: check. Athleticism: check. Arm strength: check. Productive: check. High character: check. Intelligent: check. Leadership ability: check. Tough: check. Competitive: check. Passionate: check. Durable: check. Upside: check. This, he believes, is a clean prospect.

"I had to watch every play he made about 24 times over the last eight months," he says. "I don't understand what people were picking apart on him. Look, he's not perfect. I think you get caught up when you are picking high that he has to be the next Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning or even Matt Ryan. If you go into it with that mindset, you will miss out on some good quarterbacks. He doesn't have to be those guys. If he is the best he can be, that's going to be pretty darned good."

Caldwell considers a trade down, but with five teams in the top 11 in need of a quarterback, he decides against it. "I know he was very highly rated on a couple teams' boards," Caldwell says. "We got the word there was a team a couple picks behind us that really wanted him. I really don't know what that team was thinking. But the risk for us wasn't worth it."

Friday night in the Jaguars draft room, Caldwell talks into a speakerphone to a team representative in New York. "What I need you to do is fill out a card with this name," he says, while standing between Khan and Bradley. "It's Blake Bortles." Then he turns to the room. "You guys all okay with that one?" Says Bradley, "Let's do it, man."

Post draft

The first press conference questions for Caldwell are about weighing the present versus the future. In his pre-draft press conference six days prior, Caldwell had said Johnny Manziel was the most NFL-ready quarterback. Now, he is upfront about the third pick in the draft being a developmental player. He acknowledges the Jaguars are in a marathon, not a sprint.

"We don't think he's ready to play," he says the next day. "And we are going to go with Chad [Henne] this year. We feel good about what he can do for our team this year, and Blake will be ready to play in 2015."

A plan already is in place to bring along Bortles methodically. He will get extra work on the field and in the classroom, in the offseason and in training camp. Even during the season, he will get an inordinate amount of seven-on-seven reps, and coaches and receivers will spend time working with him after practice.

It is rare for an owner to have the patience to wait for fruit to ripen. It is unusual that a head coach would be on board with passing up the potential of an immediate impact player, like pass rusher Khalil Mack or wide receiver Sammy Watkins. What enables the pick of Bortles is Khan's long-term vision. The organizational stability in Jacksonville, in stark contrast to the organizational instability that awaits Manziel in Cleveland, leads them to Bortles.

"We feel like we're making headway and going in the right direction, but we're not one player away," Caldwell says. "We're not one receiver away, one defensive end away. We feel if we can solidify the quarterback position, that's huge for 10, 12 years down the road. And when you evaluate quarterbacks, they aren't making 6-5, 240-pound quarterbacks very often who are very athletic and have the production and arm strength that Blake has."

It took a lot of time and effort just to get to chapter one of Bortles' career in Jacksonville. But you might want to kick off your shoes and settle in. It looks like it's going to take a while to get through this book.

I like what the Jags are doing. Out of the teams that were picking top 5 (Swap Skins for Rams), they might be the team I'm most confident will not be picking top 5 next year. Browns would've been before the Gordon crap. Texans, Skins, Raiders will probably be awful.

I like what the Jags are doing. Out of the teams that were picking top 5 (Swap Skins for Rams), they might be the team I'm most confident will not be picking top 5 next year. Browns would've been before the Gordon crap. Texans, Skins, Raiders will probably be awful.
:confused:

Every year you hear how good the Jags draft was. It's like a annual thing for them to get an A- grade from experts. This draft was completely horrible for the Jags.

Every year you hear how good the Jags draft was. It's like a annual thing for them to get an A- grade from experts. This draft was completely horrible for the Jags.
I didn't like the Bortles choice but Caldwell was 100% sold on him as a franchise QB and decided he would take him.

So aside from a QB-starved franchise drafting somebody they view as their guy, I'd be curious to know what you don't like.

Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson were great picks to me. Colvin is basically a first-round CB they red-shirt for a year as a 4th rounder. Telvin fills a need and was also good value.

I think the biggest knock you can make on this draft is they waited so long to take a pass-rusher. And who knows who their center will be?

They could have a great draft and still end up with the #1 pick next year. It'll take more than one year to turn things around and Bortles probably won't play much if at all this year.

I didn't like the Bortles choice but Caldwell was 100% sold on him as a franchise QB and decided he would take him.

So aside from a QB-starved franchise drafting somebody they view as their guy, I'd be curious to know what you don't like.

Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson were great picks to me. Colvin is basically a first-round CB they red-shirt for a year as a 4th rounder. Telvin fills a need and was also good value.

I think the biggest knock you can make on this draft is they waited so long to take a pass-rusher. And who knows who their center will be?
Bortles isn't ready, and he isn't good

Passed up better players for Lee

We all love Robinson, but why draft him with Lee, Shorts, Robinson, and maybe Blackmon on the team already. And who's going to throw him the ball? I wouldn't touch him for FF.

The rest of the picks were throw aways. I don't see it

Bortles isn't ready, and he isn't goodPassed up better players for Lee

We all love Robinson, but why draft him with Lee, Shorts, Robinson, and maybe Blackmon on the team already. And who's going to throw him the ball? I wouldn't touch him for FF.

Okay.

Okay.
He asked

Okay.
He asked
I know. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Bortles isn't ready, and he isn't good

Passed up better players for Lee

Saw some late first grades on Lee. Robinson is a RB fulltime now (gained 15 lbs in offseason), Blackmon is history (Caldwell said the reason they haven't cut him is because they can't) and SHorts is entering a contract year.

Henne will throw them the ball thru Halloween or so.

And Colvin and Telvin will definitely have roles in that defense come 2015.

I'm finding this post hard to take serious as it shows a lack of knowledge on Jax. Bortles doesn't need to be ready. Henne will start early on. We will see if he's good. Jury is out.

Lee was a 1st round talent. Great pick. Who would you have rather them drafted?

Robinson was needed because they are getting rid of Blackmon it seems. Shorts sucks and Robinson was moved to RB. Great pick.

The rest were throw always? Come on. Linder has starter quality ability on the interior right away and Jax needed another interior lineman. Colvin has 1st or 2nd round talent but an injury late in the season caused a sever drop for him. He's a hold player like Lattimore was. If he pays off it will be huge. Once you're I to the the 5th round they are all "throw away" picks as the hit to rate is slim. This is nothing different from any team

I really like what Jax did this offseason. They addressed their defensive front in a big way and that was priority 2. Priority 1 was finding a franchise QB. They clearly believe they did that. Agree or disagree, we need to see it play out. They added several weapons to their offense, again a major need. Lee, Robinson and Gerhart are all upgrades to what they had previously. The only real miss IMO was not getting a top edge rusher. I'm guessing that's why they rolled the dice with T. Smith out of FSU.

I'm finding this post hard to take serious as it shows a lack of knowledge on Jax. Bortles doesn't need to be ready. Henne will start early on. We will see if he's good. Jury is out.

Robinson was needed because they are getting rid of Blackmon it seems. Shorts sucks and Robinson was moved to RB. Great pick.

The rest were throw always? Come on. Linder has starter quality ability on the interior right away and Jax needed another interior lineman. Colvin has 1st or 2nd round talent but an injury late in the season caused a sever drop for him. He's a hold player like Lattimore was. If he pays off it will be huge. Once you're I to the the 5th round they are all "throw away" picks as the hit to rate is slim. This is nothing different from any team

I really like what Jax did this offseason. They addressed their defensive front in a big way and that was priority 2. Priority 1 was finding a franchise QB. They clearly believe they did that. Agree or disagree, we need to see it play out. They added several weapons to their offense, again a major need. Lee, Robinson and Gerhart are all upgrades to what they had previously. The only real miss IMO was not getting a top edge rusher. I'm guessing that's why they rolled the dice with T. Smith out of FSU.
Well said.I think Chris Smith will fit in well as a LEO and Telvin Smith as the weak side.

I'm finding this post hard to take serious as it shows a lack of knowledge on Jax.Bortles doesn't need to be ready. Henne will start early on. We will see if he's good. Jury is out.

Great plan. Don't make me laugh.

Lets just stick to WR with Lee's opportunity cost. You won't even have to look far. Jordan Matthews went a few picks later. Mark you calender and let me know in a year or two how this works out.

Shorts doesn't suck. The QBs sucks. Shows how much you know. If you read my post right you'd see that I like Robinson as a talent. I'm also saying Lee is enough of a talent to made WR less of a need at that point. How much better do you expect Bortles - Lee - Robinson to be than Henne - Blackmon (when he's not drunk)- Shorts anyway? You think replacing Blackmon is what's keeping this team from being respectable?

The rest of the picks... Storm Johnson? You don't wast draft picks on a smaller sized, 4.6 runner with a horrible 10-yard split in today's NFL. Give him a look as a UDRFA. If he's drafted you're not missing much. There is nothing to like about Bowanko. T. Smith meh, but lets say you're right. I have a better name for you at OLB/DE that didn't even get drafted, Jackson Jeffcoat. Kevin Pierre- Louis could have been had. Do some homework on those guys and tell me who you think is better. Look who got their hands on both. Colvin I don't have much on. He's 177 pounds coming off of a ACL tear. Not much there for me to bother. He could be decent, but how many other non-injured talents are there for you to gamble on? Linder has little power and no speed/agility. Good luck with this bunch.

Come on man. Saying Jac made bad moves is child's play. It's not anything new or above reproach. This draft was masterfully butchered. Houston's draft was 1000000000000x's better to add fuel to the fire.

Per Ryan O'halloran of Times-Union, #of Gene Smith draft picks still with team

2009 - 0

2010 - 1

2011 - 2

2012 - 3

** Not counting JBlackmon who is in suspension limbo

For the record, I hate the Bortles pick. I would rather have had Watkins and Carr/Bridgewater/Manziel/insert other QB here, than Bortles and Lee. Consensus is that there really isn't much to lead us to believe any of these guys are franchise QBs.

I also wanna put a different spin on the situation. I think they reached on Bortles there since they pissed off the fans by not getting Tebow when they had the chance...whether via the draft or FA (I'm not a Tebow fan, but I grew up in Florida and people wanted him there to have someone to cheer for). Bortles went to high school in Florida and obviously played college ball there. I'm thinking maybe they picked him up there to appease the "hometown hero" crowd.

He really didn't play a tough schedule and had above average stats in a weak conference. Other than his measurables, what screams "franchise QB"? Ya know who else looked nice in a pair of shorts? Blaine FREAKING Gabbert!!! It just seems to me that they haven't learned from prior mistakes. The QB is the big name ticket so that is why they jumped on Bortles...the local big name ticket (to put butts in seats).

I really suspect J-ville will be relocating to London within the next couple/few years anyway so this may all be moot.

For the record, I hate the Bortles pick. I would rather have had Watkins and Carr/Bridgewater/Manziel/insert other QB here, than Bortles and Lee. Consensus is that there really isn't much to lead us to believe any of these guys are franchise QBs.

I also wanna put a different spin on the situation. I think they reached on Bortles there since they pissed off the fans by not getting Tebow when they had the chance...whether via the draft or FA (I'm not a Tebow fan, but I grew up in Florida and people wanted him there to have someone to cheer for). Bortles went to high school in Florida and obviously played college ball there. I'm thinking maybe they picked him up there to appease the "hometown hero" crowd.

He really didn't play a tough schedule and had above average stats in a weak conference. Other than his measurables, what screams "franchise QB"? Ya know who else looked nice in a pair of shorts? Blaine FREAKING Gabbert!!! It just seems to me that they haven't learned from prior mistakes. The QB is the big name ticket so that is why they jumped on Bortles...the local big name ticket (to put butts in seats).

I really suspect J-ville will be relocating to London within the next couple/few years anyway so this may all be moot.
I think Bortles performed very well against the tough teams he played last year (SC, Baylor, and Louisville). If anything, the frustrating part of his game is how he seemed to play down to the lower teams UCF should have crushed.

:lmao: :lmao: The selection of Blake Bortles had nothing to do with Tim Tebow. Bortles wasn't my first choice and I was certainly surprised by the pick. He's not from Jax and isn't really the big name you think he is, so I don't see the hometown connection you have going on there.

And this team isn't moving to London.

Great plan. Don't make me laugh.

Lets just stick to WR with Lee's opportunity cost. You won't even have to look far. Jordan Matthews went a few picks later. Mark you calender and let me know in a year or two how this works out.

Shorts doesn't suck. The QBs sucks. Shows how much you know. If you read my post right you'd see that I like Robinson as a talent. I'm also saying Lee is enough of a talent to made WR less of a need at that point. How much better do you expect Bortles - Lee - Robinson to be than Henne - Blackmon (when he's not drunk)- Shorts anyway? You think replacing Blackmon is what's keeping this team from being respectable?

The rest of the picks... Storm Johnson? You don't wast draft picks on a smaller sized, 4.6 runner with a horrible 10-yard split in today's NFL. Give him a look as a UDRFA. If he's drafted you're not missing much. There is nothing to like about Bowanko. T. Smith meh, but lets say you're right. I have a better name for you at OLB/DE that didn't even get drafted, Jackson Jeffcoat. Kevin Pierre- Louis could have been had. Do some homework on those guys and tell me who you think is better. Look who got their hands on both. Colvin I don't have much on. He's 177 pounds coming off of a ACL tear. Not much there for me to bother. He could be decent, but how many other non-injured talents are there for you to gamble on? Linder has little power and no speed/agility. Good luck with this bunch.

Come on man. Saying Jac made bad moves is child's play. It's not anything new or above reproach. This draft was masterfully butchered. Houston's draft was 1000000000000x's better to add fuel to the fire.
I've stated several times my thoughts on Mathews. I think he's vastly overrated. We can agree to disagree here and we'll see how it turns out. I do like both players situations. Either way, I'm not the only one who thinks Lee was a great value and pick. As a matter of fact he's been called the best pick of round 2. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000349298/article/best-and-most-worrisome-picks-in-2014-nfl-draft

Shorts is a slot WR. He sucks as an outside threat. I'm not sure why you are taking about this WR group as if Blackmon is any factor there now. He is as good as gone. If he was there than they wouldn't have drafted Lee and Robinson. The thing is, even before this all happened he wasn't really there. He played what, 4 games last year. Acting as if he was some great impact is just silly. Jax has made a decision to move on from him. I think we should too. Your comparison is off. It's more like Henne, MJD, Shorts, Sanders and Brown vs. Henne (still going to be the starter unless something crazy happens), Gerhart, Lee, Robison and Shorts. Yeah, that 2nd group is a huge improvement. If Bortles works out then it's even better off than we thought. I think Bortles has the ability to become better than Hanne. Henne is pretty much the definition of a mediocre QB and place holder.

So you're picking apart Jax 5 - 7 round picks? Come on. This is a waste of time. Like I said before they are long shots. Every team could be picked apart on these picks. Acting like undrafted guys altogether were better options is laughable. You want me to do homework on these guys why exactly? I know about them but really it's irrelevant. You know who most certainly did more homework on them than me or you? Every other NFL team. If they were such great options then why did 31 other teams not take them? Jax is the only one you scold for this, though. Smells of bias. Linder is a classic worker bee type on the inside. He's not flashy and will never get credit for the work he does but won't care. He will go out and play consistently good football he's a very good run blocker but can be a liability in pass protection. He was the best Olinemen on Mia last year and was instrumental in opening up their run game.

Blake Bortles was the top QB on most teams draft boards. Caldwell could have tried a trade down, but there was a good risk of missing out on his guy. Years from now, only thing that will matter is that he got his franchise QB. Nobody remembers the exact draft order. Bortles given time will be the face of the Jags franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread