What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (4 Viewers)

The Jags could have given that pick up for Tebow and at least had a reliable 3rd down option thing with him and MJD and major fan interest.

Instead, they took a punter.

Anyone complaining about a punter needs to remember Matt Turk.

Look, we all think we're smart enough to run a team, but don't watch film and aren't scouts.

This means EVERYONE who visits or writes for fbg.

I don't think Gene Smith gives a darn about what everyone else thinks of value - this is his shot to run a team, and he's going to do it how he wants.

I'm not saying the value was great, but Smith clearly would rather eschew value and get his guy. Throw out the draft chart or Mel Kiper's mock draft.

If the same idiots who rip Smith were running the jags, they'd have Michael Crabtree and Derrick Morgan instead of Eugene Monroe and Tyson Alualu. And they'd probably have Tim freaking Tebow at QB. No thanks. In Gene we trust, good times and bad.

Anyone complaining about a punter needs to remember Matt Turk.Look, we all think we're smart enough to run a team, but don't watch film and aren't scouts.This means EVERYONE who visits or writes for fbg.I don't think Gene Smith gives a darn about what everyone else thinks of value - this is his shot to run a team, and he's going to do it how he wants.I'm not saying the value was great, but Smith clearly would rather eschew value and get his guy. Throw out the draft chart or Mel Kiper's mock draft.If the same idiots who rip Smith were running the jags, they'd have Michael Crabtree and Derrick Morgan instead of Eugene Monroe and Tyson Alualu. And they'd probably have Tim freaking Tebow at QB. No thanks. In Gene we trust, good times and bad.
I applaud the conviction and it's cool you're sticking by your team. :thumbup:But the Jags still drafted a punter in the third round.

Anyone complaining about a punter needs to remember Matt Turk.Look, we all think we're smart enough to run a team, but don't watch film and aren't scouts.This means EVERYONE who visits or writes for fbg.I don't think Gene Smith gives a darn about what everyone else thinks of value - this is his shot to run a team, and he's going to do it how he wants.I'm not saying the value was great, but Smith clearly would rather eschew value and get his guy. Throw out the draft chart or Mel Kiper's mock draft.If the same idiots who rip Smith were running the jags, they'd have Michael Crabtree and Derrick Morgan instead of Eugene Monroe and Tyson Alualu. And they'd probably have Tim freaking Tebow at QB. No thanks. In Gene we trust, good times and bad.
I applaud the conviction and it's cool you're sticking by your team. :thumbup:But the Jags still drafted a punter in the third round.
Gene Smith is a complete moron in the mold of GWB. What an absolute joke of a GM. They took Blackmon to appease the masses (he just so happens to serve a need to) and they will proceed to blow the rest of this draft right out their backside.I wouldn't blame the fans for allowing that sorry excuse for a franchise to move to L.A.

A punter.In the third.On a team with needs up and down the roster. :pickle:
Jags front office spin is that players they wanted were taken right in front of them (Trumaine Johnson??) and that their scouts had a second round grade on Anger (really??).I can understand their thinking that Anger wasn't going to last until the 5th (no 4th for Jags). But that early in the 3rd? They couldn't trade down a dozen spots and get a 5th or something?Here I was worried about the backlash if they drafted a corner with a broken leg (Boykin, UGA):bag:And this quote really ticks me off
"I'd rather take a starter over a backup," Gene Smith, when asked why he took Anger over a DT who could fit into the rotation. #Jaguars

I don't think Gene Smith gives a darn about what everyone else thinks of value - this is his shot to run a team, and he's going to do it how he wants.

I'm not saying the value was great, but Smith clearly would rather eschew value and get his guy. Throw out the draft chart or Mel Kiper's mock draft.
Totally agree and I think this is what drives the fans nuts.

It's a shame that the Anger pick has overshadowed a very good selection with Andre Branch in the second.

'radiohead417 said:
I remember Matt Turk. However, the GM who had to deal with him is the same exact one who signed him in the first place. Smith undervalued the position then as much as he overvalued it last night. I'm glad we have improved our special teams. But drafting a punter in the third is hard to get behind.Despite my obvious frustration last night, I do like most of what Gene Smith is doing. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with every move he makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still do not understand why so many people are freaking out about taking a punter in the third round. It is not a pick I would have made, but people are acting like it has not happened in ages. Punters go in the third round or sooner in about 1/3 of drafts(10 of the last 31, 3 of the last 10). It certainly does not happen every year, but it far from a rare occurrence.

I still do not understand why so many people are freaking out about taking a punter in the third round. It is not a pick I would have made, but people are acting like it has not happened in ages. Punters go in the third round or sooner in about 1/3 of drafts(10 of the last 31, 3 of the last 10). It certainly does not happen every year, but it far from a rare occurrence.
People are "freaking out" because it's stupid to waste a quality pick on a "freaking PUNTER!". Jaguars continue to show their ineptitude under Gene Smith.Punters drafted since 1980.

I'd rather have taken an OL, DL, WR, TE, QB, or someone to help the backside of their defense than a worthless punter. Punters are a dime a dozen and more often than not unemployed within a couple/few years. I mean seriously...look at the history of the punters drafted.

It doesn't really matter I guess since they would have just drafted some other bust. Gene Smith has no clue.

People are "freaking out" because it's stupid to waste a quality pick on a "freaking PUNTER!". Jaguars continue to show their ineptitude under Gene Smith.Punters drafted since 1980.

I'd rather have taken an OL, DL, WR, TE, QB, or someone to help the backside of their defense than a worthless punter. Punters are a dime a dozen and more often than not unemployed within a couple/few years. I mean seriously...look at the history of the punters drafted.

It doesn't really matter I guess since they would have just drafted some other bust. Gene Smith has no clue.
Punters are drafted in the third round or sooner about in about 1/3 of drafts. Anyone who has followed the draft for more than a handful of years can tell you that taking a punter in the third is not some crazy out of the blue selection. On top of that, Bryan Anger is a better than average top punter prospect."You can argue about the decision to take a punter that early but Anger was the best punter I've ever evaluated."

Daniel Jeremiah

I do not love the pick and would not have done it. But the media and fan over reaction to the pick is humorous.

Gene Smith's third round picks:KnightonCoxD'Anthony SmithRackley3 starters and one guy who has not yet played a down due to injury. Those are busts?

Gene Smith's third round picks:KnightonCoxD'Anthony SmithRackley3 starters and one guy who has not yet played a down due to injury. Those are busts?
The jury is still out on these guys. I was referring to his draft classes as a whole...not so much just the 3rd round. And I'd say those guys are starters out of necessity, not so much ability. D'Anthony Smith - drafted in the 3rd round in 2010. Hasn't played a snap due to a torn toe ligament and torn achilles. I'd say he's a bust and on his way out the door.Knighton - Fat ### that is out of shape and can only play about 1 or 2 snaps at a time before he is sucking down an oxygen tank. Add to the fact his recent off field issue and I'd say we may be cutting our losses with him soon as well.Cox - A middle of the road talent starting because they don't have anything better. I'd say his "starting" job is up for competition. And he is constantly nicked. Injury prone.Rackley - may be the only one worth holding on to. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.I think our views on "starter quality" are very different.

The jury is still out on these guys. I was referring to his draft classes as a whole...not so much just the 3rd round. And I'd say those guys are starters out of necessity, not so much ability. D'Anthony Smith - drafted in the 3rd round in 2010. Hasn't played a snap due to a torn toe ligament and torn achilles. I'd say he's a bust and on his way out the door.Knighton - Fat ### that is out of shape and can only play about 1 or 2 snaps at a time before he is sucking down an oxygen tank. Add to the fact his recent off field issue and I'd say we may be cutting our losses with him soon as well.Cox - A middle of the road talent starting because they don't have anything better. I'd say his "starting" job is up for competition. And he is constantly nicked. Injury prone.Rackley - may be the only one worth holding on to. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.I think our views on "starter quality" are very different.
We are going to disagree on this subject. I think Knighton and Cox were very good picks for the third round and I am not in habit of blaming GMs when players are injured.It is funny that the Jaguars had one of the better defenses in the NFL last year in spite of double digit guys on IR and to hear some people talk they have few if any good players.

I understand you're trying to rationalize it, but this team needs to build depth. A positional player would have helped immensely with pick #70. Nick Harris was sufficient.

I understand you're trying to rationalize it, but this team needs to build depth. A positional player would have helped immensely with pick #70. Nick Harris was sufficient.
Nick Harris was terrible. He was 27th in net average, 18th in punts but 29th for punts inside the 20. He looked better than he was because Turk was so bad but punter was a position of need.Like I said, I would not have done it but I do not understand why some people are freaking out about it. It was a weird pick, but certainly not worthy of all the hoopla.

it is sad to watch a franchise that used to be mentioned as one of the greats alongside the packers and 49ers and patriots fall into this type of a hole but if history teaches us anyting one thing it teaches us is that we should not foget the lessons of the past and must be ready for the jauguars to roar again when they fire the entire front office and send blaine pants pooper gabbert overseas to work at a factory assembling hondas where he can play for a semi pro team and regain some of his confidence and learn some talents and to stop being afraid of everyone in a crazy quirk i bet that blaine gabbert would probably be afraid of the new punter if they lined him up as a dummy during a learn formation drill geez louis sad times down there for the team that plays for our naval officers and servicemembers take it to the bank brohans

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which means Gabbert is not nearly as bad as his detractors are indicating. When it comes to the Jags passing game this year as compared to last, I think most would agree that the circumstances for Gabbert this year are immensely better than they were last year with him being a young rookie from a spread offense coming in after the lock out with no mini camps and essentially a lame duck head coach in JDR who cut his starting qb near the start of the regular season and then inserted his rookie by like the 3rd or 4th week. Andrew Luck would have faltered under those circumstances.

Now that the rough waters from last offseason have subsided, at least Gabbert has a fair shot at succeeding. With the addition of Mularkey and the system that developed Matt Ryan, as well as drafting Blackmon and signing Robinson, let's give Gabbert at least a decent chance to show his mettle before writing him off as a bust.

it is sad to watch a franchise that used to be mentioned as one of the greats alongside the packers and 49ers and patriots fall into this type of a hole but if history teaches us anyting one thing it teaches us is that we should not foget the lessons of the past and must be ready for the jauguars to roar again when they fire the entire front office and send blaine pants pooper gabbert overseas to work at a factory assembling hondas where he can play for a semi pro team and regain some of his confidence and learn some talents and to stop being afraid of everyone in a crazy quirk i bet that blaine gabbert would probably be afraid of the new punter if they lined him up as a dummy during a learn formation drill geez louis sad times down there for the team that plays for our naval officers and servicemembers take it to the bank brohans
Someone call Guinness...longest sentence in history right here!

Someone call Guinness...longest sentence in history right here!
Actually, I do not think that is even his longest sentence. It is a shtick thing I think.

Drew Coleman was released today. I'm not really getting this one. Maybe there is something more to this because I thought he played pretty well last year.

Drew Coleman was released today. I'm not really getting this one. Maybe there is something more to this because I thought he played pretty well last year.
I am not surprised that Drew Coleman will not be a member of the 2012 roster. He is a solid nickle back, but his coverage skills are not good enough for him to play any other position and he does not play special teams. You got a glimpse of this last season when the Jaguars were losing CBs left and right and were starting guys off the street rather than moving Coleman from NB to CB.I am surprised at the timing of the move. Unless Coleman had a roster bonus coming due I can't see any reason for releasing him now. There could be injuries, players arrested, suspended or coming in out shape. It seems very early in the process to be releasing a player that at least has some potential value.

Report: Jags think Maurice Jones-Drew lost a step

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Maurice Jones-Drew isn't taking part in OTAs for the Jacksonville Jaguars, which can't be considered much of a surprise.

The running back hasn't participated in the voluntary workouts since his rookie season in 2006, though CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco reported Tuesday that Jones-Drew's absence can also be explained by his current contract situation.

The NFL rushing champion in 2011, Jones-Drew has two years and $9.5 million remaining on the five-year, $31.35 million deal he signed in 2009. At 27, the time is now to get that last payday before he nears 30, a dreaded age for running backs looking to make money.

The Jaguars are unlikely to work with Jones-Drew on this. For one, they're likely thrilled with the fact than an All-Pro is locked into an extremely team-friendly deal. And then there's the issue of durability. Team sources told CBSSports.com they feel Jones-Drew isn't nearly as explosive as he used to be.

Again, this is the reigning rushing champion we're talking about, a man who piled up 1,606 yards on the ground for the worst passing team in football last season. But it also took him a whopping 343 carries to get there, and Jones-Drew has a lot of football mileage on his 5-foot-7, 208-pound frame.

Prisco studied tape and agreed with the Jaguars sources, writing that "I think he left yards on the field. He turned many 3-yard gains into 7-yard gains, but also turned potential 20-yard gains into 7-yard gains."

If team brass has any inkling a decline is on the way, the Jags are better off letting the contract play out and re-evaluating matters in 2014. Jones-Drew might call this unfair, but he picked the wrong era to be a star running back in the NFL.

yeah the jags should cut jones drew and rely on blaine he is the savior of the franchise and indeed the entire nfl he will introduce a new brand of football and it will rule the universe and beyond all the way to where thor is from take that the this is a horrible idea bank brohans from the panhandler nation

Mularkey: Justin Blackmon 'lost' at times during OTAs

By Marc Sessler

Writer

Jacksonville Jaguars wideout Justin Blackmon -- perhaps as much as any rookie in this year's class outside of a handful of quarterbacks -- is being asked to step in and solve problems for his new team right away. At very least, the expectation is that Blackmon gives quarterback Blaine Gabbert a legitimate weapon to throw to starting Week 1.

History tells us that receivers, however, often struggle in their first season. (Our very own Daniel Jeremiah points out that A.J. Green last season was the first rookie wideout to earn a Pro Bowl bid since Anquan Boldin in 2003.)

Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey has been on the field with Blackmon during the team's OTAs this week and offered an honest assessment of his progress.

"When he knows what he's doing, he's very good," Mularkey told WTEV-TV on Tuesday. "When he doesn't, he's lost."

Mularkey was quick to point out Blackmon could improve by asking more questions of the coaching staff.

"The one thing I tell players the very first day, 'If you're unclear of what to do when you come out of the huddle, please don't go to the line of scrimmage without knowing what to do,' " Mularkey told the team's official site. "That's not a good thing. I would prefer you say, 'Hey, I'm not sure what to do' and ask, so the play doesn't get totally blown out of proportion. ... He's not the only one, but those are things I think he can get better at and he will."

Mularkey acknowledged that "some guys are prideful" and want to believe they can process a new scheme on the fly, but only a handful of first-year pass-catchers have shown that instinct. The reality here in May is that Blackmon is among hundreds of rookies and undrafted free agents being introduced to the pro game.

Jaguars fans can take heart in the fact that in years past, under the old CBA, a player like Blackmon might have been in store for a lengthy, painful holdout that kept him from the team. We aren't seeing that anymore, one beautiful aspect of the new deal. Blackmon will be expected to contribute early to a passing attack already under the microscope.

A fellow owner just forwarded this to me since I have MJD on my dynasty roster. Seems like pre-pre-season fluff to me unless 27 is the new 30 for RBs. He's no spring chicken, but he averaged almost 4.7yds/carry on a HORRIBLE team that defenses didn't have to have any pass defense for, they could just scream "BOO!" at Gabbert and he'd tuck and fall down.Let's see where they are in August when they realize they're going to have to protect the QB in order to use their shiny new WR. I hear having a RB who can churn through yards does wonders for that sort of thing.

A fellow owner just forwarded this to me since I have MJD on my dynasty roster. Seems like pre-pre-season fluff to me unless 27 is the new 30 for RBs. He's no spring chicken, but he averaged almost 4.7yds/carry on a HORRIBLE team that defenses didn't have to have any pass defense for, they could just scream "BOO!" at Gabbert and he'd tuck and fall down.Let's see where they are in August when they realize they're going to have to protect the QB in order to use their shiny new WR. I hear having a RB who can churn through yards does wonders for that sort of thing.
I agree that MJD has some "wear and tear" so-to-speak and he may be at the time in his career where he will start to "lose a step" - but this strikes me as the Jaguars leaking this out for contract negotiation purposes and to appeal to the fan base so that they don't come across as looking too cheap in how they deal with MJD.

Khan accuses Jacksonville of violating lease, seeks swift resolution of default claim

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT

Reuters

Uh. Oh.

Jaguars owner Shahid Khan has been unequivocal regarding his desire to keep the team in Jacksonville. He has adopted the city as a home away from home. He has spent on free agents and he plans to spend on improving the team’s facilities. He has donated $1 million to a veteran’s guidance center.

And he’s now embroiled in a full-blown fight with City officials.

In a May 30 letter to Mayor Alvin Brown, obtained by the Jacksonville Business Journal, Khan accuses the City of violating the lease agreement that allows the franchise to play at Everbank Field.

The dispute arises from the fairly mundane tasking of hiring a manager for the facility. Khan contends that Section 2.5(E) of the lease requires the Jaguars to, upon reviewing the submitted proposals, make a recommendation to Jacksonville. City officials then will evaluate the proposals after the Jaguars make the recommendation. (The City apparently believes that the two parties must converse about the situation before any recommendations are made.)

Khan explains that the Jaguars made their recommendation, and that a lawyer representing Jacksonville then sent the team a letter declaring the franchise to be in default, and “putting in motion a termination of our lease.”

As we said, “Uh. Oh.”

“The action of sending the default letter is unprecedented,” Khan writes. “The default mechanism of the lease has not been implemented in the 18 years the lease has been in effect. While we certainly take the default claim seriously, the only response we can make to your letter is to cure the claimed default. However, it is not possible to cure as we are in full compliance with the lease.

“Mayor, I hope you can understand that I am shocked and perplexed at the City’s actions. I am at a loss to understand the purpose of this drastic and unprecedented action. I am hopeful that the letter is as a result of an overzealous lawyer and not the result of the philosophy of your administration in dealing with the partnership between the City of Jacksonville and the Jaguars. We have sought to comply exactly with our lease obligations.”

Khan then requests Brown to “advise us of the method of your implementation of the default and termination, if that is your intention.” Khan adds, “We are on the cusp of training camp to begin the NFL season and will need to act quickly.”

Again: “Uh. Oh.”

The fact that Jacksonville is initiating the termination process seems very odd, unless Jacksonville perceives that it can derive a benefit that somehow outweighs the costs of possibly giving the team the ability to, you know, move. And it’s hard not to at least wonder whether Khan’s response is aimed to provoking a fight that eventually would give him the ability to, you know, move.

In the interim, we’ll track down a copy of the lease and try to make sense of who’s right and who’s wrong. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground on this one — either the Jaguars’ actions complied with the lease, or they didn’t.

It feels like something bigger is happening here, but it’s hard to imagine the lease disintegrating simply because the Jaguars recommended the hiring of a facilities manager. Even if the action constitutes a violation of the lease, it doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that could result in the lease imploding and the Jaguars relocating

Zach Miller, Marcedes Lewis eye rebound for Jaguars

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com

After combining to catch 43 passes for 502 yards and one touchdown in 2011, Jacksonville Jaguars tight ends Marcedes Lewis and Zach Miller are looking to redeem themselves in 2012, Gene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union reported Tuesday.

Miller caught four passes for 42 yards before landing on injured reserve with a shoulder injury -- which happened when he caught the tight end position's sole touchdown pass last season.

Lewis was coming off a Pro Bowl appearance, which he parlayed into a five-year, $34 million contract during the first week of training camp. Unlike Miller, Lewis was healthy in 2011, however distracted by an undisclosed personal situation involving the mother of his infant daughter.

"I think a lot of times people forget that we are human, that we may go through things outside of football," Lewis said. "I'm excited to be putting that behind me now. I had some family things going on. I got that focus back. I'm going to protect my daughter and everything that happened. I won't go into that."

With the proliferation of two-tight end offenses and the addition of Mike Mularkey as coach, Lewis and Miller could have plenty of opportunities to achieve the redemption they seek. The Atlanta Falcons used two or more tight ends on between 30 percent and 40 percent of their offensive plays the last three seasons under Mularkey, while the Jaguars used two tight ends on about 25 percent to 30 percent of their plays over that same span.

No tight end duo is as talented or as productive as the New England Patriots' Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, but Miller says outproducing them is the goal.

"We want to be the best tight end duo in the league," Miller said. "You look up in New England with Gronkowski and Hernandez, we want to be better than them."

Blackmon's arrest triggers bad memories for Jaguars

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

General manager Gene Smith put his faith in Justin Blackmon when the Jacksonville Jaguars selected the Oklahoma State wideout with the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Smith has been with the Jags since their inception, and he knows all too well about the team's checkered recent history with young wide receivers. Three of the team's first-round picks -- R. Jay Soward, 2000, Reggie Williams, 2004, and Matt Jones, 2005 -- had their careers derailed by substance-abuse issues. Blackmon's arrest on Sunday morning had to be a nasty case of déjà vu.

Blackmon had a prior DUI arrest back in 2010. You can guarantee this came up with the team in pre-draft meetings. Blackmon's attitude apparently appeased the Jags, who moved up in the first round to make sure they got the man who they foresaw as Blaine Gabbert's most-trusted ally.

You have to wonder what Smith is thinking now. Blackmon has yet to sign his rookie deal with the Jaguars, and it will be interesting to see how Jacksonville approaches contract negotiations.

As Mike Florio at PFT points out, the Jags could play hardball and offer Blackmon a one-year tender for the rookie minimum of $390,000 -- a probationary-type deal that Blackmon would undoubtedly turn down and move to re-enter the draft in 2013.

More likely is a four-year fully guaranteed deal at market value that includes provisions to remove guarantees if Blackmon trips up again. Both sides are limited in negotiations here given the new rules in place for rookie deals, but don't be surprised if the Jaguars explore every avenue in protecting themselves.

Smith has watched the Jaguars get burned before in this game. He'll do everything he can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Justin Blackmon's woes shouldn't scare off Jaguars

By Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com

Analyst

Justin Blackmon's DUI arrest on Sunday, his second in a span of two years, has many wondering whether the Jacksonville Jaguars ignored serious warning signs before trading up in the 2012 NFL Draft to take the talented Oklahoma State wide receiver with the fifth overall pick.

I don't think the Jaguars erred, and here's why:

Blackmon wasn't viewed as a high-risk prospect by most NFL teams. He had one documented off-field issue in 2010 (DUI) but my sources at Oklahoma State say they didn't express any major concerns about his character to NFL scouts in pre-draft interviews.

Sources at the school described Blackmon as smart, hard-working and reliable. He wasn't a player that was late to meetings or workouts. He showed up on time, worked extremely hard and set a good example for the younger players on the team. They said he never let his national notoriety go to his head. He was raised in a strict military family and was always accountable both on and off the field.

Scouts that interviewed Blackmon during the pre-draft process felt he was an honest, country kid that was easy to talk to and had nothing to hide. I talked to several of his teammates at various all-star games and they were each very positive in their comments about Blackmon. He wasn't described as a high-maintenance diva. Those that were close to the receiver actually described him as somewhat of a "nerd."

Obviously, his most recent arrest is cause for concern. He has issues with alcohol and he needs help. That being said, I don't think the Jaguars dropped the ball in their background efforts as a personnel department.

Gene Smith has earned a reputation around the league as an extremely meticulous, detail-oriented executive. I've been on school visits with Jaguars scouts that have spent 15 minutes grilling an equipment manager for information on a player that doesn't even start for his school. They go above and beyond normal protocol when researching draft prospects.

This issue will likely cost Blackmon some money in his rookie contract and a possible suspension, but hopefully it serves as a wake-up call and helps him reach his full potential as a player.

This whole knee-jerk Blackmon overreaction is quite amazing. Everywhere I turn, it’s “What is Khan going to do with Blackmon?”

Yesterday afternoon, I turned on 930 and they some talentless hack on for Prisco. Tony (?) was blustering on about how the Jags dropped the ball

And they should have known he’d be a problem before they drafted him because he’s seen him at beach bars after they drafted him. Huh?

Same people who cried out for Clean Gene to drop his requirements and sign Donte Stallworth or Plaxico are now saying that Gene Smith

is drafting thugs.

PFT this morning has this article that is so off-base it made me comment:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/04/blackmon-gives-khan-first-big-challenge-of-nfl-ownership/

Fact is that Khan is limited in what he can do. CBA basically leaves the punishment to the league.

No agent is ever going to sign a non-slot contract for a Top 5 pick if they ever want to represent another Top 5 pick.

The whole idea of trading him now is downright stooopid.

About the only things he can do is minimize the guaranteed money and move signing bonus to roster bonuses in future years.

Instead of punishment, what Khan needs to focus on is trying to prevent a reoccurrence.

He’s stuck with this guy, for better or worse, for roughly three years.

Sit down with him and his agent and possibly his family and say “We have a problem. What is your plan on dealing with it and how can we help.”

They have a recovering alcoholic on staff in Joe Cullen perhaps he can chime in.

When the smoke clears in Oklahoma, he’s probably going to be required to go for counseling so get that started now.

Then have the press conference where Blackmon apologizes for the embarrassment he caused but he can’t comment on pending legal cases.

Tell them what his counseling plans are. Announce he will join the Jags on their next ticket caravan to Palatka or wherever.

Have Khan come on and say they’re disappointed but support their player in trying to battle his problems.

“Oh and by the way, season tickets are still available and we will have flex plans on sale for Father’s Day.”

Jags ensnared again in WR jinx? Blackmon quick to raise doubts

By Len Pasquarelli | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

According to information supplied by various people close enough to Justin Blackmon to know, the Jacksonville first-rounder never met R. Jay Soward or Reggie Williams or Matt Jones or Jimmy Smith. But with his early Sunday morning arrest for DUI, the player chosen with the fifth overall pick in the NFL draft six weeks ago has been lumped with many of the troubled wide receivers in Jaguars' history.

In much the same way, there have been some flimsy attempts at a link with Dez Bryant, the problematic Dallas wide receiver who also played at Oklahoma State.

But the folks in Jacksonville who operate the Jaguars have, over the past two days, quickly suggested they aren't buying it. They have at least privately disavowed the notion that the franchise carries some kind of crazy curse when it comes to wide receivers. So have people in Stillwater, Okla., where both Bryant and Blackmon plied their college careers, and created their share of "issues."

No, Justin Blackmon is on his own with this one, and the Jacksonville officials who will meet with him upon his arrival in town later this week intend to hammer home that point. Responsibility and accountability are two of the intended hallmarks of new owner Shahid Khan's stewardship of the franchise, and Blackmon is apt to become eminently familiar with both those terms over the next week or so.

There is nothing in the DNA of a wide receiver branded with the Jags' label, no sinister genetic marker inherent to former Oklahoma State pass catchers, on which Blackmon can attempt to hang his latest indiscretion.

Nope, this was a 22-year-old man responsible for his actions, and the Jaguars will let Blackmon know that.

"It has nothing to do with anyone but (Blackmon)," a Jacksonville official told The Sports Xchange on Monday evening. "We'll deal with him on this incident ... not any ghosts of the past."

Translation: No alibis accepted from a wide receiver for whom Jacksonville dealt up two spots in the April draft, who is expected to start, and is being counted on to help advance second-year quarterback Blaine Gabbert and improve a passing game that ranked dead last statistically in the league in 2011.

Then again, it's not as if Blackmon hasn't heard similar lectures in the recent past from NFL scouts in general, Jacksonville officials in particular, and from personal advisors. His resume, well known around the league and certainly to the Jaguars' personnel department -- a speeding arrest in 2009 and a 2010 DUI-related charge that was subsequently reduced to beer possession -- created some concerns over his maturity level before the draft. But Blackmon, who has been suspended for one game in 2010 by coach Mike Gundy, seemed appropriate remorseful to scouts, noted a talent evaluator from a franchise that seriously considered choosing him. This time around, he will have to be more convincing.

Said the Jacksonville official: "It's (look in the) mirror time. He's going to have to 'fess up,' take ownership of the situation, and lay out a course for dealing with this thing head-on."

The league, already investigating the Sunday incident, doubtless will play a part in the latter regard. At the least, Blackmon will face counseling and probably a fine. Based on the alleged aggravating circumstances -- Oklahoma law calls for the "aggravated DUI" charge when a blood alcohol test measures greater than .15 and Blackmon blew a .24, but reports indicate he was also "argumentative" with police -- there could be a suspension.

Blackmon was a key to a revamped receiving corps that also included veteran free agents Laurent Robinson and Lee Evans, but his regular season debut could possibly be delayed by a couple games.

"A tough break," an associate of Blackmon's termed the situation.

Maybe so, but "a tough lesson," driven home by team officials attempting to turn around the club's image, might be more appropriate for a guy who doesn't have any excuses.

'JaxBill said:
This whole knee-jerk Blackmon overreaction is quite amazing. Everywhere I turn, it’s “What is Khan going to do with Blackmon?”Yesterday afternoon, I turned on 930 and they some talentless hack on for Prisco. Tony (?) was blustering on about how the Jags dropped the ballAnd they should have known he’d be a problem before they drafted him because he’s seen him at beach bars after they drafted him. Huh?Same people who cried out for Clean Gene to drop his requirements and sign Donte Stallworth or Plaxico are now saying that Gene Smithis drafting thugs.PFT this morning has this article that is so off-base it made me comment:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/04/blackmon-gives-khan-first-big-challenge-of-nfl-ownership/Fact is that Khan is limited in what he can do. CBA basically leaves the punishment to the league.No agent is ever going to sign a non-slot contract for a Top 5 pick if they ever want to represent another Top 5 pick.The whole idea of trading him now is downright stooopid.About the only things he can do is minimize the guaranteed money and move signing bonus to roster bonuses in future years.Instead of punishment, what Khan needs to focus on is trying to prevent a reoccurrence. He’s stuck with this guy, for better or worse, for roughly three years. Sit down with him and his agent and possibly his family and say “We have a problem. What is your plan on dealing with it and how can we help.”They have a recovering alcoholic on staff in Joe Cullen perhaps he can chime in.When the smoke clears in Oklahoma, he’s probably going to be required to go for counseling so get that started now.Then have the press conference where Blackmon apologizes for the embarrassment he caused but he can’t comment on pending legal cases.Tell them what his counseling plans are. Announce he will join the Jags on their next ticket caravan to Palatka or wherever.Have Khan come on and say they’re disappointed but support their player in trying to battle his problems.“Oh and by the way, season tickets are still available and we will have flex plans on sale for Father’s Day.”
:goodposting:

Not surprising but still sad - Jags cut Aaron Kampman.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/07/jaguars-release-aaron-kampman/

Kampman was coming off a torn ACL when he signed a four-year deal with the Jags before the 2010 season and then tore the ACL in his other knee after eight games. He played three games last season before learning that he would miss the rest of the season because he needed another operation to clean out the knee. Overall, Kampman had four sacks in 11 games for the Jaguars which is far less than they hoped to get from a player who had 54 of them in eight generally healthy years with Green Bay.

Jesus. As if we don't look bad enough right now.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=269KGSgC4OU&sns=em
i guess it is cool that they got blaine gabbert to be the host for a video like that but it still sort of stinks and he is just as bad at making up dances as he is at qb take that to the bank brohans

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene Smith had a press conference and said the Jags expect MJD to honor the last 2 years of his contract and there would be no renegotiation.

Mandatory mini-camp is coming up and he could eb fined up to 60,000 for missing 3 days.

Also Smith said he views L.Robinson, Blackmon, and Mike Thomas as the top 3 WR and sees Cecil Shorts and Lee Evans in a competition.

Don't quite understand MJD staying away from mini-camp. The only thing it will accomplish is making him 60,000 bucks poorer.

(OTA's yes, mini-camp no).

It's my understanding that he has to report for training camp in order for the year to vest anyway so what is he accomplishing?

Hello, Rashad Jennings.

i am glad that your punter is kicking butt pardon the pun ha suckas i bet you will dominate in the punting arena and remember that every second that the ball is kicked up in the air is a second that dwayne poopy pants gabbert cant touch it and screw something up

i am glad that your punter is kicking butt pardon the pun ha suckas i bet you will dominate in the punting arena and remember that every second that the ball is kicked up in the air is a second that dwayne poopy pants gabbert cant touch it and screw something up
Hey! Let's be fair here. Gabbert did complete at least 1 pass to a WR as evidenced by the video above. That's still improvement from last year. And all you can hope for is improvement.

Jaguars' Blaine Gabbert has been 'impressive' at minicamp

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Few players were more maligned last season than Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert.

With that in mind, his public rehabilitation this summer was almost inevitable. It would have been surprising if we didn't hear a lot of positive press about Gabbert. This is just how the NFL news cycle works. Its the offseason. Every young player that struggled last season is ready to turn it around.

The positive press has been particularly insistent when it comes to Gabbert. Let's hear from John Oesher of Jaguars.com. It's a long passage, but well worth reading:

"It's not unfair to say he made real and necessary strides this offseason. What you wanted and needed to hear about Gabbert this offseason was that he was focusing on the fundamentals in his drop and doing things correctly and naturally enough that he can carry them into pressurized situations in the regular season. All reports were that the fundamentals improved and that Gabbert had a good offseason on that front. "During the first two days of minicamp - the first time the media has been allowed to watch a full practice since the beginning of the offseason program - the difference in Gabbert was obvious. He has looked all offseason like a different player off the field - more confidence, and a bit more maturity - and the player we saw on the field for most of minicamp looked different, too. This is all 'just the offseason,' of course, and everything you can say positive about Gabbert seems empty until you see it on the field in September, but he has looked about as good as a second-year quarterback learning a new offense and getting NFL coaching for the first time could look in an offseason.

I can hear what you are thinking. (Really, I have that power.) This is the Jaguars' website. They have to say that.

That's not fair to Oesher, who is an excellent reporter. (And judge of football.) If he's writing this, it is truly what he believes and surely what the team believes.

It doesn't mean Gabbert will be a different player in the regular season. I have my doubts. What showed up on film last year matters more.

Disagreement in evaluation is healthy, though. If Gabbert surprises and plays well this year, it sounds like a lot of folks around the Jaguars won't be so surprised.

Maurice Jones-Drew looms large for Jaguars' success

By Marc Sessler

Writer

"NFL Total Access" kicked off its "32 teams in 32 days" series last week. We decided to score some brownie points by writing an accompanying post each night. We'll focus on one goal that each team needs to accomplish before Week 1.

Jacksonville must have MJD ready for battle

When Maurice Jones-Drew signed a five-year, $31 million deal in 2009, it made him one of the top three highest-paid running backs in the NFL.

That was then.

After his 1,606 rushing yards led the league in 2011, MJD appears ready for an ugly holdout.

The Jaguars want their (possibly only) star to fulfill the terms of his contract, but we don't expect this to go well. While Ray Rice and Matt Forte generate the headlines with their contract disputes, MJD skipping this week's mandatory minicamp is the type of trouble that could stretch into the season.

Here's a number for you: MJD accounted for 47.7 percent of Jacksonville's offense in 2011. His backup, Rashad Jennings, missed all of last year with a knee injury. There's not much else to speak of here, unless Montell Owens and Brock Bolen get your motor going. MJD's 343 attempts were 42 more than Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons and dwarfed team-leading outputs from around the NFL.

Whether or not MJD has a legitimate beef with the Jaguars organization is a different post, but we wouldn't be surprised if every member of Jacksonville's defense is praying for his return. The Jags ranked 19th in time of possession last season. Pull MJD out of the mix and that defense will never leave the field.

We went almost an entire Jaguars piece without a mention of Blaine Gabbert, but the quarterback might have the most to lose. Minus his bell cow, Gabbert's critical second season shapes up as a pending disaster. He was sacked 40 times as a rookie, third most in the NFL -- and that's with MJD on the field as a three-down weapon.

It's in vogue to predict doom for the Jags, but that's not our line here. There's hope in Jacksonville, at least some, but if MJD's absence goes into the season, where will this offense turn? Jacksonville must solve this issue before all others.

Users who are viewing this thread