What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

Suposedly the Jags are looking to trade 33. If they make the pick supposedly they will not take a QB but will insead go defense. Apparently they like Cyprien a lot. But Johnthan Banks, Tank Carradine and Arthur Brown all make sense.

JaxBill said:
Suposedly the Jags are looking to trade 33. If they make the pick supposedly they will not take a QB but will insead go defense. Apparently they like Cyprien a lot. But Johnthan Banks, Tank Carradine and Arthur Brown all make sense.
A trade back would be nice, but I am not holding my breathe. Caldwell has been very clear that he focuses on need in the early rounds, with that in mind I expect a S or CB with this pick. Many fans think that DE is a big need but I do not think that Caldwell sees it that way.

Andre Branch combine stats

Dion Jordan combine stats

I think Caldwell and Bradley think between Babin and Branch at the Leo and Mincey, Alualu, Lane at LDE they have enough to get by if they must. CB and S are huge holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jags landed a pretty impressive group of rookie free agents.

Georgia Tech defensive tackle T.J. Barnes

Cincinnati linebacker Maalik Bomar

Delaware cornerback Marcus Burley

Rutgers tackle R.J. Dill

Nevada linebacker Jeremiah Green

Western Michigan defensive end Paul Hazel

Georgia defensive tackle Arby Jones

Southern Oregon receiver Cole McKenzie

Arizona State receiver Jamal Miles

Massachusetts guard Stephane Milhim

Nevada tackle Jeff Nady

San Jose State tight end Ryan Otten

N.C. State receiver Tobias Palmer

Florida State fullback Lonnie Pryor

Nebrasa tight end Kyler Reed

Virginia linebacker LaRoy Reynolds

Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers

Arizona quarterback Matt Scott

Texas A&M safety Steven Terrell

Murray State tackle Roderick Tomlin

Vanderbilt cornerback Trey Wilson

Illinois State linebacker Michael Zimmer.

There is room on the roster for a fullback, at least one DT, a LB, a third or potentially even second QB, and a TE at the least as well as several special teams spots. I expect several of these guys will make the roster.

It would not surprise if the Jags kept Gabbert, Scott and Rodgers.

Josh Evans is my newest favorite Jag. I mean anybody who can force Prosinski from the roster is good with me.

I'm really intrigued by this draft class (and by some of the UDFA's). That's something that I haven't been able to bring myself to say in years.

I'm really intrigued by this draft class (and by some of the UDFA's). That's something that I haven't been able to bring myself to say in years.
Caldwell confirmed what was evident last year - the Jags needed a tremendous makeover speed-wise. They were a two-win team that you often wondered how they won two games.

Caldwell confirmed what was evident last year - the Jags needed a tremendous makeover speed-wise. They were a two-win team that you often wondered how they won two games.
Yeah, it's shocking how deprived this team is from a talent standpoint. Gene Smith really did a number on this team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ille-jaguars-mend-secondary-in-2013-nfl-draft

Jacksonville Jaguars mend secondary in 2013 NFL Draft
By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

The Seattle Seahawks had the No. 1 scoring defense in 2012 thanks to consistent play from defensive backs Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley likely had his former defense in mind when he approached his first draft in the big chair.

The Jags didn't target an outside linebacker or pass-rushing defensive end. They picked five defensive backs in the 2013 NFL Draft.

"That was identified early on in the process," Jags general manager Dave Caldwell said, per The Florida Times-Union's Ryan O'Halloran. "We're a system-specific team on defense, and we created some of our own urgency there (by cutting veterans). But we knew it was a good year in the secondary for this draft."

The Jags took Florida International safety John Cyprien (No. 33 overall), Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz (No. 64), Florida safety Josh Evans (No. 169), New Mexico State cornerback Jeremy Harris (No. 208) and Appalachian State cornerback Demetrius McCray (No. 210).

Odds are against this class having the success of the Seahawks' foursome; the four defensive backs have four Pro Bowls and two All-Pros among them, and none has played more than three years in the league. Nonetheless, developing depth in the secondary is a clear priority for the Jags.

Bradley emphasized the importance of rush ends in his 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

"We like to have those rush-type people on the right side. We call it the Leo end," Bradley said at the time. "We've had some success up in Seattle with them -- the Chris Clemonses, the Bruce Irvins. So we'll take a hard look at those guys in the draft -- the outside linebacker types.

"We have a philosophy that we'd like to eventually get to. That's getting those ends on the perimeter that can rush, not only on first and second down, but third down as well."

The Jags apparently decided that additions to the front seven can wait.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

Yeah, it's shocking how deprived this team is from a talent standpoint.Gene Smith really did a number on this team.
Shack Harris knelt down behind this team and Gene Smith pushed them over.

The Jags landed a pretty impressive group of rookie free agents.

San Jose State tight end Ryan Otten
Here's the one guy that slipped thru the draft I was hoping the Raiders would choose. I'm shocked he slipped thru undrafted. He's not as athletic as the top TE's but has some good ball skills and can high point the ball. I really like this pickup for JAX. Think he's got a good shot to make the team.

Blackmon: Trade him, if you can't trade him, cut him. I am done.
1 year? I was also thinking that a team like NE could probably dangle a 4th or 5th out there and get him.

I really thought this was going to be a top tier WR, looks like he has a lot of personal issues to work out.

Fascinating they fired so many personnel people shortly after the draft. It'll probably take a while, but eventually I bet we hear an interesting story about this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-cyprien-stands-out-for-jacksonville-jaguars

Johnathan Cyprien stands out for Jacksonville Jaguars
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Surprised that Johnathan Cyprien was still on the board, Jacksonville Jaguars general manager David Caldwell turned down three trade offers to select the Florida International safety with the first pick of the 2013 NFL Draft's second round.

If the start of the Jags' rookie minicamp is any indication, Caldwell made a wise choice. Cyprien wasn't just a standout Friday. He was a "man among boys," noted Mark Long of the Associated Press.

Cyprien's speed, athleticism, ball skills, range and instincts were on full display. "That was one guy who really showed up in my eyes," Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said. "Not only is he playing, but we're watching if they can handle the tempo of practice and the style we're asking. He did a good job leading, too. I was very pleased with his start."

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell told the "Rich Eisen Podcast" in March that Cyprien had a strong case to be first safety drafted this year. "This kid is really athletic," Cosell explained. "When I watched him, I couldn't believe that he was 220 pounds and the way he moved. He had an interception against Louisville that was just unbelievable. He came from the middle of the field all the way to the sideline. For a second, it looked like Ed Reed."

Caldwell drafted Cyprien to be a plug-and-play starter as a rookie. That might be setting the bar too low. Don't be surprised if Cyprien is the Jaguars' premier defensive player in 2013.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Cyprien is an IDP target. He has a clear path to the starting job, should rack up a lot of tackles and has excellent ball skills.

I can't remember the last time as a Jaguars fan I've had this much hope and excitement for the future. The more I think about this draft and the players we got, the happier I am we passed on a QB.

Gabbert gets probably his last chance. Either he steps up and the team takes a positive direction, or we end up with a high pick in next year's draft and get a true franchise QB. Meanwhile, we fill holes in the rest of our team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-start-anew-with-david-caldwells-debut-draft

Jacksonville Jaguars start anew with David Caldwell's debut draft
By Albert Breer

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

If there was one thing that surprised, even shocked, new Jacksonville Jaguars general manager David Caldwell about the biggest night of his professional career, it was probably the emotion involved.

Or, more specifically, that there was none to speak of as the seconds ticked down and the second overall pick approached.

"I've always been really nervous on draft day, during my time in Indianapolis, my time in Atlanta," Caldwell said from the team facility on Wednesday. "So what surprised me was there was a calmness here. I remember thinking, in Indy and Atlanta, 'Man, I hope this guy or that guy falls.' I guess it's like being a player. When you're in the game, you're just reacting and doing it. When you're on the sideline, you're more stressed."

Don't mix this part up: There was indeed pressure on Caldwell, as well as new head coach Gus Bradley and the rest of the regime hand-picked by neophyte owner Shahid Khan.

Caldwell's staff had been building to last weekend since the day he went on the clock back in January, taking the GM gig in Jacksonville after rising through the ranks with the Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts and Atlanta Falcons.

With the 2013 NFL Draft in mind, the Jaguars sidestepped big-ticket (even mid-level) free agents and significant trade scenarios. One of the attractions to Jacksonville for Caldwell, who turned down the New York Jets to come to this historically nondescript franchise, was the ability to start with a blank slate. And he wanted to maintain every inch of that flexibility into the end of April.
Having hoarded all of his chips in that matter, this was always going to be an important time. And the calm? It came from the rational and logical process the team took to arrive at the eight draft picks and 24 rookie free agents who will be at the club's minicamp this weekend.

"I just feel a lot better about our team now; we could line up and play a game tomorrow if we had to," Caldwell said. "I feel good about the youth and speed we added. Those eight guys, they love football, they're highly competitive, and that's what we're going to here. The one thing Coach Bradley has preached is competitiveness. They'll have to compete every day here, all the players, and they're aware of the situation. They know the only thing they'll get is a chance to compete."

The way the Jaguars arrived at the eight names called in Radio City Music Hall was far less abstract than the cauldron of competition -- a Pete Carroll ethos Bradley brings from Seattle -- those rookies will be tossed into.

Jacksonville has thrust itself into the forefront of the burgeoning football analytics community, an effort spearheaded by Khan's son, Tony, the club's senior vice president of football technology and analytics, and his right-hand men Daniel Adler (director of football research) and Mike Stoeber (assistant director of football technology).

The work toward the 2013 draft was a convergence between that and the conventional know-how of a personnel staff led by Caldwell, who worked his way from scouting assistant to area scout to regional scout to college scouting director to director of player personnel with his three prior clubs. To that end, Caldwell, Bradley and Tony Khan blanketed the country together in March and April, hitting pro days and conducting on-campus workouts, while examining every bit of hard data they could find.

The selection of No. 2 overall pick Luke Joeckel mined both old-school and new-school research. Caldwell cited the former Texas A&M standout's makeup, his background, his competitiveness, and the fact that he routinely faced top pass rushers -- not only in both Big 12 and SEC play, but also in practice against Von Miller and Damontre Moore at A&M. Tony Khan, meanwhile, had data revealing that Blaine Gabbert was actually in the top third of NFL quarterbacks when given at least 2.6 seconds to throw.

"Some of the studies Tony did helped us come to the conclusion that taking an offensive tackle (with the second pick) was a good route to go," Caldwell said. "He had the passer rating broken down from where the quarterback had 2.6 seconds to throw to 2.5, the amount of pressure, the sacks we gave up, third-most in the league last year. We used a lot of the stuff Tony put together. ... It's part of the process, not the whole process. Maybe we miss something, but we're trying not to."

While the Jaguars already had one talented offensive tackle in Eugene Monroe (whom Caldwell called a "top-10 tackle"), both schools of thought supported drafting another. Caldwell emphasized the rising importance of the right tackle in a league where defensive coordinators are becoming more varied and creative in exploiting weaknesses, and Khan turned to a ProFootballFocus.com study compiled by Steve Palazzolo showing the right tackle had become just as vital as the left tackle.

All of that cemented Joeckel, over eventual No. 1 pick Eric Fisher, as the top player on Jacksonville's board, and also led to the decision, two weeks before the draft, that the Jaguars were taking whichever tackle the Kansas City Chiefs didn't.

"What we did was fill a need where the value met the need," Caldwell said. "It became clear two weeks prior, after we met with the scouting staff, the personnel staff, got their feedback, that the two highest-rated guys were the tackles. The coaches told us we needed to upgrade the line. So this was gonna be a solid pick; we felt we'd get a cornerstone, a pillar for the team."

Part of it, too, was the position itself. According to Khan's data, 71 percent of tackles drafted in the top 10 from 1995 to 2008 have made at least one Pro Bowl, while only 16 percent of tackles drafted between 11 and 32 over that period did the same. Also, top-10 tackles drafted from 1990 to 2008 averaged a staggering 70.5 starts in their first five years, a number that dipped to 58.5 starts for those drafted from 11 to 32.

The analytics also helped later in the draft. The Jags identified safety Josh Evans as undervalued -- a Round 2/3-type who gave up a completion percentage of just 35.0 last year at Florida -- and got him in the sixth round. They saw Tobais Palmer the same way -- a player who averaged 25.7 yards per kick return and caught 66 percent of the passes thrown at him by a 57 percent passer (N.C. State's Mike Glennon) -- and signed him as an undrafted free agent.

In every case, the tape had to match up with the numbers, and it's not like the stats were infallible.

Before the second round, in which Jacksonville held the first pick, the Jaguars had John Cyprien, Zach Ertz and Darius Slay atop their board. With three teams inquiring about a potential trade-up, Jacksonville ran the numbers on the probability one of those guys would be left in the 40s. Statistics showed it was likely. But Caldwell decided he liked Cyprien too much to risk losing him and took the Florida International safety with the No. 33 pick. The other two players were gone by 36.

And then, there were spots, like quarterback, where the GM simply went on his feel for the roster.

"We worked out five or six quarterbacks, spent time with them," Caldwell said. "And we'd evaluated what we had in Blaine and Chad (Henne), and we felt like the important thing was to solidify the roster first. We do that, get some help around them, and give them a fair shot to play well. And we really felt like -- with our first-, second-, third-, fourth-round picks -- we got incrementally better at those positions. We weren't 100 percent sure we'd get better at the quarterback position with guys at those spots."

The Jaguars left New York with a tackle, five defensive backs and two versatile offensive playmakers. Caldwell said the biggest goal was to "take advantage of drafting first or second in every round," something he thinks the team did, and something he hopes the club will not have to do again for a while.

And that moves things to the next step. The Jaguars have plenty left to sort through. Justin Blackmon's four-game suspension and future with the team -- Caldwell wouldn't comment, other than to say he and Bradley are "prepared for every situation" -- must be assessed. So too will the overall state of the roster, with the coaches and personnel folks getting their first on-field look at the players.

"Our mindset," Caldwell said, "is to just continue to get better."

Whether or not they improved over the three days of the draft is an open question, as it is with the 31 other teams.

But there's a reason why Caldwell was so calm amid such an uncertain process. Instead of worrying and waiting and hoping, like the proverbial player on the sideline, he was reacting and doing. And in the end, he knew there wasn't much else the new Jaguars regime could've done to make this debut a big one.

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer.

Fascinating they fired so many personnel people shortly after the draft. It'll probably take a while, but eventually I bet we hear an interesting story about this.
Happens more often that you think. Think of it this way. Do you want to fire that guy who's been in on all of your meeting and strategy sessions about who you wanna pick right BEFORE the draft?

-QG

MOJO update

Jones-Drew, the NFL’s leading rusher in 2012, missed 10 games last season with a foot injury, rushing for 414 yards on 86 carries and finishing the season on injured reserve. He underwent surgery in December, and said Monday he expects to be ready to train fully in June, a month and a half before training camp begins in late July.

“I’ll be training before training camp,” he said.

Jones-Drew, who has been in Jacksonville since before the team’s voluntary offseason program began, attended practice Monday. He said he ran three-quarter speed for about 30 yards Monday, and is working toward being able to work every day.

“That’s just part of the process,” he said.

Jones-Drew said he is impressed with the speed of not only Robinson, a quarterback at Michigan who is expected to play a reserve running back role, but of the entire Jaguars’ roster.

“It’s good to see we have more talent,” he said. “We have an opportunity to do some great things this year.”
Jags also used tehir new helmets yesterday

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/photo-gallery/2013-OTAs---Day-1/b9ac33b4-453c-4a22-8710-c86a94c5f4a1#81f1fedb-646d-403a-8130-6df61ffadd5a

Jags have a nice section set up for OTA updates

http://www.jaguars.com/otas/

RB/ST ace Montell Owens reased by Jags. Was tied for third-longest tenure with MJD and Marcedes.

Rumor is that Lonnie Pryor is the front-runner for that role.

Jags pick up their second former NE Defensive lineman this week by claiming Kyle Love on waivers. Love was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

RB/ST ace Montell Owens reased by Jags. Was tied for third-longest tenure with MJD and Marcedes. Rumor is that Lonnie Pryor is the front-runner for that role.
I think this was the right move. The team needs to develop young players that can contribute to the future of the franchise.Some team will be getting a special teams ace, though.

Any idea who is getting the 1st team RB reps while MJD is out? Not sure if Forsett or Robinson is going to be the back-up.

London calling: NFL wants UK team, and soon; Jags look like best fit

Jason La Canfora

Regardless of precisely what NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell did or didn't say at a conference on Tuesday regarding playing more games in London, make no mistake: Goodell's eyes remain fixed across the Atlantic, and that's not going to change.

A few years back if you had asked me about the likelihood of an NFL franchise in London, I'd have said, sometime in my lifetime, maybe in the next 25 years. Ask me now, and I'd say we'll see football -- American football -- being played on Sundays at Wembley Stadium within the next 10 years (possibly 5 to 7), and, yes, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the team numerous well-connected NFL people have tabbed as the most likely to land there.

For the last year or so, when I have talked to NFL team executives coming out of various owner's meetings, the tone has changed regarding their impression of the league's flirtation with London. It used to be more of an "if" scenario. Now, it's more like "when" we start playing in London. Like, it's only a matter of time. It's been a major initiative at the league office, spearheaded by the commissioner, and the commitment to getting this done seems unwavering.

When Eric Grubman, an executive vice president with the league who is closely involved with the league's International Committee ("They should just call it 'The London Committee," as one club official put it. "That's really what it is.") addresses owners at this meeting, there is a certainty in his voice, folks have told me, a sense that this will happen.

A franchise in London might not quite be impending, but everything the league has done in recent years -- including adding more regular-season games at Wembley and making the Jags annual tenants there for at least one match, er, I mean, game a year -- signals that this is no passing fancy.

After a league meeting last October, during which Grubman provided a more detailed update on the status of the NFL in London, this is what one team executive present in the meeting told me:

"Grubman pretty much flat-out said, 'We want to have a team in London -- our goal is to get a team there and make this happen,'" said one source who was present for the meeting. "It didn't sound like an 'if,' we took it as a 'when.' "

Now, you might ask, why wasn't Goodell himself making these statements? Well, that's not how it works. He's not running committee meetings and holding court on an issue like that. But make no mistake, Grubman isn't talking out of turn. The commissioner is fully behind this. If ticket sales remain robust and the thirst for more NFL games is there as the league adds multiple games per season -- and there is every sense within the league office that will remain the case -- then the next step is to get a franchise there, and ample time and resources are already being spent working through the various logistical issues that would have to be overcome.

Goodell's buzzword is innovation, and he is always pushing others to explore new horizons. He didn't pocket $30 million not to keep making the owners boatloads of money, and with the TV contracts in the United States secure beyond 2020, the league working on improving the in-game experience, and, short of eventually getting two franchises to Los Angeles (preferably in the Chavez Ravine area), there is only so much more that can be accomplished domestically.

The Buffalo Bills are already becoming more and more of a regional team, playing games in Toronto, and if the Rogers Communications folks (a global heavyweight based in Toronto) acquire the franchise whenever Ralph Wilson passes, then trust me, the Bills will be very, very much a regional franchise, playing plenty of games in Canada. Mexico City, in theory, makes sense, but concerns about security likely preclude it coming to fruition anytime soon.

That leaves London.

League officials look at the popularity of sports like soccer worldwide -- the kind of marketing and merchandizing and television rights deals a league like the English Premier League nets in Asia and the Far East -- and see tremendous room for growth. Teams like Chelsea and Manchester United can play exhibition games in Thailand and India or South Africa and pocket big bucks, while growing their brands. They can come to the U.S. for glorified practice sessions and sell tickets for $100 and more each and sell out 80,000-seat NFL stadiums.

So, then, eventually, why can't NFL teams do the same?

And, with the television product pretty much at a saturation point in America (we have games three nights a week), the best way to expand the demand, scope, and rights fees for NFL football abroad would be by having a franchise in Europe playing meaningful games 16 weeks a year. That's how you build fan identity and loyalty and get people digging deep in their pockets to be a true part of the NFL experience.

At some point, the NFL might lose it's chokehold on the wallets of the American sporting consumer (a far off thought, for sure, but look at the dips boxing and baseball have taken at various times), but it has only just begun to exploit the possible revenue streams on a global level. And, I'm sorry, good people of Jacksonville, Fla., but moving the Jags would make total fiscal sense.

(And this isn't about expansion. The owners are very comfortable with 32 teams, or damn close to it. Remember, this is a revenue-sharing model and they only want that a pie cut up into so many pieces. If you can flip, say, a Jacksonville into a London and a San Diego or St. Louis or Oakland into LA, well, that's much more appealing and will grow that overall pie exponentially for all, without adding any more mouths to feed at the table.)

Jacksonville is, at best, the third-best location for an NFL team within its own state. It lacks the local infrastructure, corporate support, capital and stadium to be competitive on a local scale in many ways, much less a global one. You can't even begin to compare it to London in any manner, much less its ability to foster an economically robust pro sports franchise. London could draw on a good chunk of Western Europe within a short train or plane ride, in terms of a regional fan base, and is a worldwide center of banking, culture, construction, you name it.

Issues of travel aside, you'd be hard-pressed to come up with five cities in the world that make better sense for an NFL team than London when you look at this the way an owner would. It has everything in place, and is oozing with potential as an untapped market.

Just imagine what the local TV rights to broadcast preseason games would be like, compared to the relative pittance it would bring in Jacksonville. Think about what you could charge for tickets (and you know these owners would love to get that Pound Sterling rolling in, a currency that far outpaces our dollar). No more putting a tarp over the upper deck. No more competing with college teams for local spending and attendance.

Sure, you're competing with soccer, but we're talking 10 dates a year -- including preseason -- at most, and somehow I think with a population that large and an economy that strong and with the interest in the NFL already multiplying over the years. London could find a way to support a team. Don't even get me started on what the sponsorship deals and licensing agreements could look like, compared to what the Jags bring in, and the network of European-based companies that would suddenly want a bigger stake in the NFL.

Being the first league with a franchise in another country would be a legacy-cementer for Goodell. It's the ultimate innovation, and when guys like Robert Kraft and John York opine so openly about the viability of a franchise in London, it's not an accident. It's also not exactly random that Jacksonville ended up being the team to make a multiyear commitment to play games in London, or that the team is working to increase its community outreach and presence there. The earlier the blokes in jolly' ol' Londontowne start taking to the Jags as the home side, all the better.

Assuming the Bills stay in the Southern Ontario/Western New York region, and realizing that the league office won't be letting the Raiders back into Los Angeles under current ownership, much less give them London, the list of candidates for London is pretty slim.

The Vikings got their stadium. The Chargers make too much sense for LA if they move. If the Panthers can't get the upgrades they want to their stadium, expect to hear saber rattling about LA, but London seems too extreme for Jerry Richardson. The Rams got a favorable arbitration decision regarding theirs (though if they don't get everything they want from the locals, I'd put Stan Kroenke, who already owns fabled English soccer club Arsenal, right near the top of owners to possibly go to London or LA). The Titans, maybe after Bud Adams passes? I don't see it. So that about covers possible suspects.

Don't sweat the details, like travel. Have you even looked at the 49ers' brutal travel schedule that's ahead in 2013, or glanced back at the last year's? You think a series of five-hour flights during a six-month schedule is enough of a deterrent to derail all this economic goodness? Then you haven't been paying attention. Don't give me long flights, or fatigue, or players not wanting to play abroad. The league wants to add regular-season games, has made Thursday nights a staple of the schedule and plenty of athletes in other sports go abroad -- it's beyond common in basketball, hockey and soccer, and even baseball.

The London Jaguars (sorry, but just think of the sponsorship deal with Jaguar, a most British company) will take two week swings Stateside, and the league will work out byes for many teams the week after they play at London. West Coast teams will do what the 49ers have already been doing during trips East, and to London, and hold camp for a week somewhere closer between games (Youngstown, Ohio, has become the 49ers' second home).

The London team can easily maintain a U.S. office for some football operations people, where they can conduct player workouts and tryouts in-season, perhaps even maintain a developmental squad based there (and in this day and age, the coach back in London could easily watch a Tuesday tryout in real time over a laptop).

Teams that play in London during the preseason will hold camp over there for a few weeks around the game, and I'd have the London team play only home preseason games -- which creates more dates for them and fans can watch other teams train over there between exhibition games (which grows the overall NFL brand). The Cowboys already fly halfway across the U.S. to train in the cooler climes of California during part of camp, for instance.

(Oh, what, you say that deprives the common fan here of seeing his or her team practice? Take a look at home many teams have already cut costs by moving camp to their training facility. The good 'ol days of veterans riding bikes to practice, quaint and cool as it is, is already succumbing to profits and the simpler logistics of conducting camp the same place you train. Like I said, you must not be paying attention.)

What's that you say, the quality of play will suffer? Um, yeah, again, Thursday Night Football. 'Nuff said.

The London Jags don't have any natural rivalries? Well, some would say London could prove to be plenty big enough to support two teams, and the idea of derbies -- local competing teams from the same (even small) cities is central to soccer culture already (Google "London Derby," then plug in pretty much any other European city you can think of).

So will it happen? Will an NFL team be based in London? Yes, it will.

Will the Jaguars definitely be the team to call London home? I'm not willing to say that just yet, but if I had to place a bet at Ladbrokes (Google it) I'd be putting quite a few quid on the London Jaguars, particularly if this comes together sooner rather than later.

Any idea who is getting the 1st team RB reps while MJD is out? Not sure if Forsett or Robinson is going to be the back-up.
Jacksonville beat reporter on the radio yesterday said it was Forsett's job, for now. Didn't sound very optimistic about the start of the new head coach Gus Bradley. Kind of a "welcome to the NFL" initiation of off-season problems with MJD's legal issues and his on-going rehab down in Miami, and Blaylock's 4 game suspension hanging as a dark cloud over the team. Forsett isn't considered in any way a sure fire MJD handcuff, but the time that MJD is away from the team and not integrating himself with the new coaching staff is a concern once he does return.

32 in 32: Jacksonville Jaguars rebuilding again
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

"NFL Total Access" has launched its "32 in 32" series, breaking down the biggest subplots of every NFL team as the 2013 season approaches. Around The League will follow along and offer our own take. Up next: The Jacksonville Jaguars.

1. The Minnesota Vikings had three first-round picks in the 2013 NFL Draft, but the Jaguars are the best bet to lead the league in snaps played by the rookie class. No. 2 overall pick Luke Joeckel is entrenched at right tackle, safety Jonathan Cyprien (No. 33 overall) could be the team's best defensive player by the end of the season and third-round pick Dwayne Gratz is penciled in as a starting cornerback. The coaching staff also is talking up significant roles for wild card Denard Robinson (fifth round), dynamic kick returner/slot receiver Ace Sanders (fourth round) and cornerback Demetrius McCray (seventh round).

2. David Caldwell and Gus Bradley were stuck with the weakest roster in the NFL when they accepted the Jaguars' general manager and head coaching jobs, respectively. Although they landed an impressive draft haul, it's evident that their first season will be a wash. They conceded as much when they made no effort to upgrade on the highly dubious duo of Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne at quarterback.

3. Don't be surprised if Cecil Shorts is the latest in a long line of wide receivers to reach full-blown stardom after participating in Larry Fitzgerald's summer camp next month. Shorts has been a standout in offseason practices after averaging 87 yards per game in the second half of last season. Shorts' 1.47 yards per snap exceeded the 2012 averages of Andre Johnson, A.J. Green, Dez Bryant and Julio Jones.

4. Gregg Rosenthal pointed out the Philadelphia Eagles' offensive depth earlier this week. The Jaguars are at the opposite end of the spectrum. Justin Blackmon is suspended for four games, Shorts is now a concussion risk and Maurice Jones-Drew is coming off a dreaded Lisfranc injury. The depth chart behind those three offensive stars is bleak.

Our takeway: The Jaguars might be another two or three years from contending, but they finally have the right leadership in place, from owner Shad Khan down to Caldwell and Bradley.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and the city of Jacksonville will hold a joint press conference on Wednesday afternoon at 4 p.m. ET to make an announcement, the team announced in a press release.

The details of the announcement are not known at this time, but there was talk on Twitter Wednesday afternoon of stadium improvements in the works.

The press conference will be hosted by the following:

Shahid Khan - Owner, Jacksonville Jaguars

Alvin Brown - Mayor, City of Jacksonville

Bill Bishop - President, Jacksonville City Council

Rick Catlett - President and CEO, Gator Bowl

Mark Lamping - President, Jacksonville Jaguars

There is some speculation that the announcement could be about the proposed new scoreboard, but as of right now there are no specific details.

Users who are viewing this thread