What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Van Halen Album (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
Anyone else psyched about this?

Van Halen has signed to Interscope Records, a source with knowledge of the talks tells Rolling Stone. The news was first reported by the Hollywood Reporter, which wrote that Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine was personally involved with the negotiations, and quoted an "insider" as saying, "He heard the band was available and wanted to work with them. It was decided at the eleventh hour." The deal reportedly includes touring, merchandising, marketing and recording.

Rumors were swirling a few months ago that the band was going to sign with Columbia, but supposedly Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth didn't want to sign with a label on the East Coast. "He was never on board [with Columbia]," the Hollywood Reporter's source said. "It was as complicated as anyone would imagine, when one side says black, the other says white. The label was pretty skeptical that things would work out."

Van Halen haven't released an album of new material since 1998's ill-fated Van Halen III, which featured Extreme's Gary Cherone on vocals. They reunited with Sammy Hagar in 2004 for a tour, but shortly afterwards parted ways with the Red Rocker and founding bassist Michael Anthony. They toured in 2007 and 2008 with David Lee Roth and Eddie's son teenage son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass. There have been numerous reports that the band was recording a new album over the past few years. It will be their first record with David Lee Roth since 1984.

On November 3rd, the Grammy Foundation posted a Tweet that strongly implied that Van Halen would perform at their nomination special on November 30th: "Who do you predict the reuniting band will be @GRAMMYnoms?. Does this hint make you wanna 'Jump' & 'Dance The Night Away?'" However, a source tells Rolling Stone that the band will not appear at the event. A spokesperson for the Grammys did not immediately respond to a request for a comment.
LinkNotably, no performance at the Grammy's, but the album does appear to be forthcoming. I, for one, am very excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sammy weighs in on reports of the new album:

Last week, Van Halen released a picture that proved beyond any doubt that they had signed to Interscope. The photo showed them at an "undisclosed venue" in Los Angeles, but according to the Van Halen News Desk, it was at the Roxy in Los Angeles. They supposedly shot a video there. We've been hearing for months that their first LP with David Lee Roth since 1984 is practically finished, but confirming anything when it comes to Van Halen is extraordinarily difficult. Needless to say, none of them are jumping on the phone for interviews. Luckily, we happened to be checking in with Sammy Hagar last week – and he was more than happy to share his thoughts on the situation.

We're hearing that Van Halen signed to Interscope this week.

What? VH? Van Halen? I don't think . . . How long has it been since they did a record? And that last one doesn't count. You have to go back to 1995. For them to take that long to make a record, I don't think it's ever going to happen. If it does, it better be good. Oh man. It actually might be. I'm not dogging them. I don't understand why they couldn't do something by now. [Laughs] Though I kind of do understand.

This seems legit. I think they actually, for real, signed to Interscope.

I thought they signed to Sony. Hmmm . . . Interesting. I'll be the first guy waiting in line at the record store, if I could find one anymore. I'll be really curious. I think they owe the fans that. I would love to see them make a great record. They have some of the most loyal fans in rock, and they've been treated so, so bad these last 20 years. I'm a real fan friendly guy.

The fans aren't too happy that they threw Michael Anthony out of the band.

It didn't bother me when they threw me out. I'm a solo artist. I can start a new band. But Mike? He's the most loyal guy, and the best bass player in the world – and the best background singer on the planet. His vocal sound is as much a part of Van Halen as anyone's. When they threw him out, I just thought "WHY? This is so wrong. This is so damned wrong!" Then to go back to Dave, FINALLY – but they threw Mike out first. Once again, it's not a fan friendly band. Eddie could have played a solo album with Wolfie. He could have produced it and gone on tour and played theaters with him. He could have done so many different things. He did not have to make Wolfie the bass player in Van Halen.

I find it interesting that David Lee Roth has barely made a peep in public since he rejoined the band. Before that, he wasn't exactly a press shy guy.

Yeah, this isn't very Dave-like. Obviously, he's trying to make it work. Look, I've been there. It's not an easy camp. It's gotten crazier and wackier, every day. I think that Dave has just learned that if he wants to make it work, he needs to shut up and hang in there and do what he can, and do what they say. It's a very strange situation.

Look, back in the day, Dave was the boss. He was running the damn show. When I came in, I was the boss. I was running the show, but I didn't want that job. It was always, "Well, what do you guys want to do?" They'd be like, "I don't know. What do you want to do?" Then all of a sudden, it became this wicked, freaking dictatorship – and nothing has happened since.

I think nothing would be more fascinating than a Some Kind of Monster-style documentary about the making of this new record. Can you even imagine?

I'd be curious to be a fly on that wall. I heard this record is old outtakes from the old days. I mean, stuff from before I even joined the band. I heard this five years ago though. Michael Anthony was curious if his background vocals would wind up on the album. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's kind of interesting. Bob Seger did it, and so did the Rolling Stones. I think it's an interesting thing to do in your old age if you can't come up with fresh, good stuff – or you can't get along. Because from what I heard, they aren't working with new material. Ed and Dave didn't actually write new songs. They took old stuff from previous sessions, and then maybe Dave had to go in and add vocals because they just had scat vocals, or even no vocal part at all.

That's bizarre, because in the few interviews that he does, Ed is always talking about how many great new guitar parts he's written.

Ed talks really weird about all that stuff recently. He goes, "I have all this music! So much music . . . " Well, they really aren't songs [laughs]. They're really not. It was always easy for me to write songs with Ed. He had all these parts, and I had these ideas. I'd be like, "Oh, go to B over there for a bridge – write a bridge, Ed." He'd do it, and it would be some bad ### ####. But it wasn't like he wrote instrumentals and I just had to write lyrics over them, like I do now with Joe Satriani. Joe writes friggin' instrumentals. Ed doesn't have any songs. I'm sorry. I love the guy's guitar stuff, but play me a song, will you?

Going back to the old school sound?

On Wednesday A Clue To New Van Halen Album's Sound was a top story. Here is the recap: (Gibson) Yesterday we told you how David Lee Roth has told fans to get ready and today we learn that the old school Van Halen sound is front and center on the new album. Gibson reports: Alter Bridge/Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti recently spent some time at Van Halen's 5150 studio listening to material from the band's forthcoming album. The as-yet-untitled CD will be the group's first with singer David Lee Roth since 1984's…err, 1984.

Tremonti appeared recently on Colorado's 94.3 KILO Radio and divulged more details on his visit. "What makes it so great," he told host Ross Ford, "is that they took what they could from all their old demos back in the '80s and pretty much did what they could to create songs out of old ideas. So it sounds like vintage Van Halen. Musically, it sounds in the era. I didn't hear any vocals — David [Lee Roth] was not there. It was just [Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen] and the music sounded like very authentic, old-school Van Halen."

Tremonti said he nearly stepped into hot water when he complimented his pal, Wolfgang. "I remember commenting on Wolfgang's bass parts. I said, 'Man, that was a great chordal thing you did at the end there.' And then Eddie looked at me and said, 'How was my part?' [i said], 'Dude, you're Eddie Van Halen. Your part is incredible every single time!' He was very, very nice. I couldn't have had a better experience."

I may have missed it in the articles, any indication of when they might release a preview tune?

speaking of the band, check out these pictures from a record store signing back in 1978. Love Alex's fro! :excited: And Dave drinking Schlitz Malt Liquor! :lmao:

http://www.vhnd.com/

I love VH but was upset with the ousting of Anthony, that said I would definitely give this a shot

The band has a ton of great demo songs that they never released. I think "Lets Get Rockin" will be on the next album. :thumbup:

I love VH but was upset with the ousting of Anthony, that said I would definitely give this a shot
I know it happened right around the time of the reunion tour with Sammy, but I never heard what caused the rift.
Eddie was furious that Mike went on tour with Sammy in 2002 (even though the band was on hiatus and Ed basically told Mike he could do whatever he wanted). Ed wanted to kick Mike out of the 2004 reunion, but Sammy threatened to cancel the tour if Mike wasn't included. Since the 2004 reunion tour, Mike has been persona non grata at 5150 Studios.

I know it happened right around the time of the reunion tour with Sammy, but I never heard what caused the rift.
If I remember correctly. Eddie got all wound up when Anthony played a few times with Sammy while VH was on break.How much of that is true etc I don't know but here is an interview :shrug:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet-20070904

By Andy Greene

September 4, 2007 2:22 PM ET

As you've almost certainly heard, later this month the reunited Van Halen is hitting the road for an extensive tour with David Lee Roth out front. But something is missing. Original bassist Michael Anthony -- whose distinctive backing vocals are crucial to classics like "Running With the Devil" and "Panama" -- has been fired and replaced by Eddie Van Halen's sixteen-year-old son Wolfgang. Many outraged fans are pledging to stay home, while others will be showing up with "Where Is Michael Anthony?" T-shirts. Last week Anthony got on the phone with RS to explain what happened.

When was the last time you saw Eddie Van Halen?

The last time I actually spoke or saw him in person was right after we walked offstage in 2004, the last show of the tour.

How were things then?

It really didn't end in total peace and harmony within the band, for whatever reasons. I'm not going to finger-point at anyone, but the tour, after eighty shows, just couldn't go on at that point.

How did you find out they were going to do this upcoming tour without you?

Probably like everybody else, I found out on the Internet and through word of mouth. I can understand that he wants his kid to play with him. If I had a kid like that, I'd like to have him perform with me, too. It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen "reunion."

So they never called you?

No, nobody ever contacted me about anything. I just kind of found out with everyone else.

Is it true they tried to keep you off the 2004 tour?

Yeah. Ed didn't really want me on that tour.

Do you know why?

He was always put off that I was going out and playing with Sammy [Hagar] when we weren't doing anything. It wasn't like I was doing it to spite anybody. I was just tired of sitting at home and doing nothing. Sammy asked me one day if I would like to come out and maybe make an appearance at one or two of [his] shows and have some fun, and I said, "Yeah, great." It kind of snowballed into me coming out and doing a few songs with him here and there.

Didn't they make you sign something to participate in the last tour?

You're putting all the dirt in this one, huh? I gave up a lot to do [the last Van Halen] tour, as far as my percentage of what everyone was being paid. I did have to sign something at the end of the tour, that I was relinquishing any rights or claims that I had to anything that had to do with Van Halen. The reason I did the tour was: I didn't need the money, but I kind of figured if it was the last time Van Halen ever went out, I'd be kicking myself if I didn't go out onstage one last time for the fans. So I kind of sucked it up a bit.

But that didn't affect your royalties or anything?

No.

Do you regret doing that?

There's always things that you look at in hindsight that you could have done differently or whatever, or tried to make it better. I don't regret going out, because I did enjoy going out and playing for the fans. I kind of regret the way that it turned out, because it should have been a tour that possibly went on for at least a year, and toured all over the world, and it just wasn't meant to be. And that's pretty sad, in my eyes.

Some fans are saying that this current tour is not the real Van Halen. How do you respond to that?

I had a post on my blog the other week stating that it is what it is, and I'm not going to sit here and go, "Hey, those a-holes, going out and doing this without me." I even told the fans, "Don't judge his son, Wolfgang, too hard, because he's the innocent guy in this whole thing." I'm sure he'll do fine. But as far as it being a full reunion, well, it's not. There's no reason for me to sit there and cry over it or whine over it. Life goes on.

Do you think Wolfgang is too young to be taking on such a huge task? I really can't say, because I'm not around the guy a lot. He came out and did some shows in 2004, came out onstage when his dad was playing a solo, and played a little bit. Being thrown right out into big arenas, a sixteen-year-old kid, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of possible overwhelming things that are thrown at him in that kind of a situation, plus, when they get onstage, who knows how the fans are going to react to him? Hopefully, he'll be able to work through all that.

Your backing vocals were an important part of the sound.

Mm-hmm. I guess it will be interesting. I don't know, I'm not to say how they're going to pull that one off, but I'm sure they've thought of something.

Dave and Ed were smiling and shaking hands at the press conference -- do you think it's genuine?

[Laughs] There again, I really can't tell you, because I'm not around them or know what's going on. I can speculate, but that wouldn't really mean anything here or there. I guess the proof will be once they get out and start playing. Because once Dave gets onstage, he becomes Diamond Dave.

Did you see that they removed your image from Van Halen's first album on their Web site?

Yes, I did. And that was the one thing that kind of saddened me a bit, when I was pointed to that, to see that my pictures were removed off of the first album. With Women and Children First, they took the picture off completely. I couldn't figure out what they were trying to do except for brainwash the fans into thinking I was never in the band. That bummed me out quite a bit. I'm proud of all my history with Van Halen, and maybe they feel otherwise.

You seem to be taking the high road with all this.

I'm not a spiteful person. At this point in my life, I don't need the drama. I went through that when I was in my twenties, and I don't feel like going through it again in my fifties. I just want to have fun, be able to go out onstage and play and have a good time.

Are you touring with Sammy Hagar this summer?

Yeah, we're actually going out late October, and we'll be touring on and off until next summer. It stems from around March, when Sammy Hagar did this cruise thing with Carnival Cruise lines, where they cruise down to Cabo San Lucas. His fans pay an extra premium and his band goes on the ship, and they asked me if I wanted to come and perform one night. I didn't want to just get up with his band and do Hagar stuff, so I put this thing together and I said, "Let's just do some old Van Halen stuff and have some fun with it and do maybe a couple other covers that we all grew up to, like some Zep or Cream." So we call it the Mad Anthony Express, and we did about two hours on this ship, and the fans loved it. I said, "Hey, this is pretty cool."

Do you see a day in the future where the four original Van Halen members could possibly share a stage again?

At this point, I really don't know, because I think they've chosen their path. They would be the ones to really ask. As far as myself, I think if the situation was right and everything was on the up and up I'd be interested in doing it. It would definitely have to be on those terms.

Twitter |

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet-20070904#ixzz1gL3mSwc9

Color me skeptical. Neither Eddie nor Dave has had an original idea in 15 years.
Which may be why the word is that they're reworking ideas from back in the day. I'm optimistic!
I can see why you'd be excited to hear a bunch of middle-aged dudes release songs that weren't good enough to make it onto their mediocre albums from 25 years ago.
Mediocre?!? Sacrilege!(okay, okay, Diver Down was pretty weak.)

The report on Tremonti hearing the music from the new album was 6 months ago. There have been reports of VH working on a new album for way before then. The length of this process has me concerned that a new album seemingly could never come out. If you belive DLR, he said on his ill fated radio show that they had a lot of songs written back in the day that were never finished that they were working on . . . and that was 5 years ago. I won't say that I'll believe it when I see it, but it would not surprise me if a new album never materialized.

The report on Tremonti hearing the music from the new album was 6 months ago. There have been reports of VH working on a new album for way before then. The length of this process has me concerned that a new album seemingly could never come out. If you belive DLR, he said on his ill fated radio show that they had a lot of songs written back in the day that were never finished that they were working on . . . and that was 5 years ago. I won't say that I'll believe it when I see it, but it would not surprise me if a new album never materialized.
Well, the most recent development (other than the Grammy show rumors) is that they signed with Interscope. That's a concrete sign of something real, rather than theoretical.

Eddie's x-wife Valerie has already publicly said she knows the new album is finished and she can't wait to hear it (I think who quote was "who do I have to marry or birth to get a copy"

Temper expectations. Me Wise Magic was straight old school Diamond Dave VH, so, it's not inconceivable for them to go back to that well. However, while Michael Anthony was entirely replaceable as a bass player, his big contribution to VH's sound was his harmony vocals. Those are still noticeably absent and I have a hard time seeing them getting an old school VH sound without them.

Considering how torched EVH's brain is at this point, it's both not surprising and pretty pathetic to hear they're combing through old ideas.

I love Mike's voice, but come on, don't you think Edward Van Halen's own son is likely a gifted and much more talented bass player? I certainly do. He may or may not be able to bring out the harmonies like Mike did, but he's not exactly a talentless no name bum they found. I'm optimistic.

Van Halen hasn't created a solid album from top to bottom since Fair Warning (30 years ago)
Guess you never heard of an album called 1984. You should check it out. Its certainly better than 99.95% of the crap that has been put out since that year.

Temper expectations. Me Wise Magic was straight old school Diamond Dave VH, so, it's not inconceivable for them to go back to that well.
"Me Wise Magic" was ghost-written by producer Glen Ballard. Diamond Dave had nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with writing that song.(cue the hardcore Diamond Dave fans' mouths gaping in slack-jawed denial...)

So, I suppose they could still go back to that well if they brought back Ballard and took Dave out of the equation....

I love Mike's voice, but come on, don't you think Edward Van Halen's own son is likely a gifted and much more talented bass player? I certainly do. He may or may not be able to bring out the harmonies like Mike did, but he's not exactly a talentless no name bum they found. I'm optimistic.
The point is that the bass is pretty much a non-factor in VH. That was by design. You or I could have played bass in VH with a couple lessons. It was like what's his nuts, the drummer in AC/DC. There was nothing more than a serviceable advancement of the song there. The harmonies were most of the footprint he left, and a HUGE part of the DLR VH footprint. That can't really be overstated. I know it's just harmony vocals, what's the big deal...but no, it is a big deal and you're going to hear the void when the record comes out. Especially, if they're trumpeting it as a return to Diamond Dave era form.

Temper expectations. Me Wise Magic was straight old school Diamond Dave VH, so, it's not inconceivable for them to go back to that well.
"Me Wise Magic" was ghost-written by producer Glen Ballard. Diamond Dave had nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with writing that song.(cue the hardcore Diamond Dave fans' mouths gaping in slack-jawed denial...)

So, I suppose they could still go back to that well if they brought back Ballard and took Dave out of the equation....
Dave sang Me Wise Magic and it was mixed to sound like a vintage VH song. The sound and the song are two different animals. I was referring to the sound.

The point is that the bass is pretty much a non-factor in VH. That was by design. You or I could have played bass in VH with a couple lessons. It was like what's his nuts, the drummer in AC/DC. There was nothing more than a serviceable advancement of the song there. The harmonies were most of the footprint he left, and a HUGE part of the DLR VH footprint. That can't really be overstated. I know it's just harmony vocals, what's the big deal...but no, it is a big deal and you're going to hear the void when the record comes out. Especially, if they're trumpeting it as a return to Diamond Dave era form.
I give you that Anthony's backing vocals were a fundamental part of VH's vocal sound. But that's not so much because his voice was all that amazing. He just happened to be the guy who could hit the high harmony notes. If they want to repreoduce that in the studio, they don't really need Anthony to make that happen. Live on tour, however, is another story. Of course, when I saw the show back in '08 or so, Wolfie was more than serviceable on backing vocals.

It didn't bother me when they threw me out. I'm a solo artist. I can start a new band. But Mike? He's the most loyal guy, and the best bass player in the world – and the best background singer on the planet. His vocal sound is as much a part of Van Halen as anyone's. When they threw him out, I just thought "WHY? This is so wrong. This is so damned wrong!" Then to go back to Dave, FINALLY – but they threw Mike out first. Once again, it's not a fan friendly band. Eddie could have played a solo album with Wolfie. He could have produced it and gone on tour and played theaters with him. He could have done so many different things. He did not have to make Wolfie the bass player in Van Halen.
This seems to be a bit harsh in the analysis of the situation.Wolfgang is Eddie's son. He plays bass. Is it a stretch understand that he would rather have his son play bass in his band instead of Anthony? When I read "thrown out of the band" its like someone is trying to make it sound overly vindictive or mean. Its not like he was "thrown out" for no reason. The conversation might have been quite civil.

Has Anthony came forward and related a story that paints a nasty picture?

I give you that Anthony's backing vocals were a fundamental part of VH's vocal sound. But that's not so much because his voice was all that amazing. He just happened to be the guy who could hit the high harmony notes. If they want to repreoduce that in the studio, they don't really need Anthony to make that happen. Live on tour, however, is another story. Of course, when I saw the show back in '08 or so, Wolfie was more than serviceable on backing vocals.
I saw that tour. That wasn't Wolfgang.

I saw that tour. That wasn't Wolfgang.
If not, then that makes the importance of Anthony's presence for backing vocals that much weaker.

This seems to be a bit harsh in the analysis of the situation.Wolfgang is Eddie's son. He plays bass. Is it a stretch understand that he would rather have his son play bass in his band instead of Anthony? When I read "thrown out of the band" its like someone is trying to make it sound overly vindictive or mean. Its not like he was "thrown out" for no reason. The conversation might have been quite civil.

Has Anthony came forward and related a story that paints a nasty picture?
Sammy painted a pretty ugly picture in his book "Red". I recall him saying something about how low they make MA's cut the last time he toured with them (after Sammy made them keep MA). There was also something about them doing something to his music rights (can't remember it all, will look it up).

Wolfgang is Eddie's son. He plays bass. Is it a stretch understand that he would rather have his son play bass in his band instead of Anthony?
I bet he'd rather have his girlfriend play keyboards but that doesn't make it a smart thing to do.
It may or may not be a smart thing to do, but it is necessarily a wrong thing to do? Further, I have no idea how the situation was handled.

I know you're picking fun, but I actually think that is a great version of Jump. Those Bluegrass boys can play!

I like Mike Anthony fine, but when did he become Brian Wilson? It's Aint Talking About Love, not a set of Gregorian chants.

[...] Mike? He's the most loyal guy, and the best bass player in the world – and the best background singer on the planet. His vocal sound is as much a part of Van Halen as anyone's. When they threw him out, I just thought "WHY? This is so wrong. This is so damned wrong!" Then to go back to Dave, FINALLY – but they threw Mike out first. Once again, it's not a fan friendly band. Eddie could have played a solo album with Wolfie. He could have produced it and gone on tour and played theaters with him. He could have done so many different things. He did not have to make Wolfie the bass player in Van Halen.
If Michael Anthony is the best bass player in the world then CC Deville is the best guitarist.

speaking of the band, check out these pictures from a record store signing back in 1978. Love Alex's fro! :excited: And Dave drinking Schlitz Malt Liquor! :lmao: http://www.vhnd.com/
Michael Anthony has a series five head. That is getting into Frankenstein monster territory.
Check out Eddie. He's totally lit up. No big surprise.I'm looking forward to this despite the absence of Anthony. I read an interview somewhere with him and he was wondering if it was his voice that was being piped in during the live shows with Wolfgang.

Users who are viewing this thread