What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Griffin III (1 Viewer)

Best fantasy QB in the draft, but Luck is still the better pro prospect.

Vick ('10), Tebow and Newton (should) have opened eyes. Guys that can add 5-10 points on the ground, per game, give you an advantage.

Even if I liked Luck more, I would take Griffin and try to trade after the season. I think Griffin is the better bet for immediate impact, again, adding points on the ground. Luck is the safer bet, long-term. Griffin is not built like Cam and I want to see him avoid contact like Cam, before I consider him more than just the best in his class.

'rizzler said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/video-robert-griffin-delivers-lettermans-top-ten-list-2011-12Watch this video from the Letterman show.. only 2mins long. Makes me like the kid even more... a Tebow shot, a Kimmy K shot, a Colts shot. awesome. Solidified best QB from the upcoming draft... may not go first.. maybe not even second (the Barkley drink is flowing way too hard), but he WILL be the best QB in this class, and be an elite QB for yrs to come.
I think he's an awesome player and an amazingly interesting person, but how did a Letterman appearance solidify him as the best QB in the draft.I agree with Coop, he may end up being the best fantasy QB in the class, but Luck will be the best NFL QB in the draft (the guy is a surgeon on the field). I do think Griffen is a hell of a consolation prize though and will be a great one.

This is no way meant to "prove" Griffin is better, but look at these stats:

Season 267 369 3998 72.4 10.84 36 6 ---->>> JESUS. 6:1 td/int ratio, (plus 9 rushing tds and many hundred yds rushing)

vs Luck

Season 261 373 3170 70.0 8.50 35 9 -----> VERY good stats.

If you ask me, Baylor has actually had the tougher schedule as well. This cat is real, and ready.... and I think has all the intangibles and more, then Mr. Luck.

Spread QB. Those numbers in that type of offense tend to be skewed when comparing them to QB's that play in Pro Style offenses which require drop backs and more read progressions. Tremendous tools but he's not going to be as pro ready on day 1 as will Luck and Barkley if he comes out. Intriguing dynasty prospect to say the least.

Spread QB. Those numbers in that type of offense tend to be skewed when comparing them to QB's that play in Pro Style offenses which require drop backs and more read progressions. Tremendous tools but he's not going to be as pro ready on day 1 as will Luck and Barkley if he comes out. Intriguing dynasty prospect to say the least.
There is some truth to this, but Cam Newton played in a predominantly shotgun, spread offense and did just fine adjusting. Griffin is a very smart guy that already has his Masters Degree from Baylor - a good school. His NFL team would be wise to use some elements of the spread, the way the Panthers are, you make defenses account for RG3 running the ball. That will help a lot, as it has with Cam. So sure, comparing RG3's numbers to Luck's isn't a fair or wise thing to do, without context. But writing Griffin off as not NFL ready isn't either.

Philly radio station WIP interviewed Danny Watkins (Eagles rookie OL, was on Baylor last year) and he said when he first met RGIII he was wearing Spongebob socks.

NFL offenses are becoming increasingly spread-like themselves. Indy, Green Bay, and New England come to mind.Plus like has been pointed out, Cam Newton has done pretty well coming from that type of offense.I just think we're seeing a new breed of athlete at the QB position and NFL coaches are realizing this and tailoring the gameplan accordingly.

I really like this kid. :thumbup:
blessed by Tebow himself... what more can one ask for?Seriously, as has been mentioned, spread offense is not as big a deal as traditionally has been. Teams WILL adjust their scheme for a player of Griffin's qualities.

Good lord, I can't wait to watch this kid in the pro's.

For some reason... I feel like people (some) see a black QB, and assume all run, no brains. Really don't mean to bring race into it, but I think it's true.

Master's or not, people don't associate black with "brilliant", far too often.

He has already torn an ACL, not sure if that robbed him of any of his athleticism already. But it's impressive that he recovered from that in college to win the Heisman.

With that said, I will take Andrew Luck over him in my FF drafts. People love Tebow/Cam now, but running QB's never stay healthy in the NFL.

He has already torn an ACL, not sure if that robbed him of any of his athleticism already. But it's impressive that he recovered from that in college to win the Heisman.

With that said, I will take Andrew Luck over him in my FF drafts. People love Tebow/Cam now, but running QB's never stay healthy in the NFL.
It has, but he had a lot to give. He won the 400-meter hurdles at the Big 12 meet and NCAA Midwest Regional and finished third at the NCAA national meet and competed at the U.S. Olympic trials. As a freshman.

This is no way meant to "prove" Griffin is better, but look at these stats:Season 267 369 3998 72.4 10.84 36 6 ---->>> JESUS. 6:1 td/int ratio, (plus 9 rushing tds and many hundred yds rushing)vs LuckSeason 261 373 3170 70.0 8.50 35 9 -----> VERY good stats. If you ask me, Baylor has actually had the tougher schedule as well. This cat is real, and ready.... and I think has all the intangibles and more, then Mr. Luck.
Plus luck was playing in a running offense that utilizes the tight ends. Hardly a spread or run and shoot.

Put me down on this kid's bandwagon. But a lot depends on which team/situation he ends up with in the draft. I think he adds a dimension Luck doesn't have, he reminds me of Newton but more accurate and athletic, with slightly less size. If anything hurts Griffin it's that he's not 6'5".

Plus like has been pointed out, Cam Newton has done pretty well coming from that type of offense.
So did Alex Smith.

You think it's going to be interesting what team Luck goes to? I think you're all alone on an island there.
No he's not. Indy could easily trade that pick.
no chance at all
A few things on my mind re: Luck/Indy. I think that Indy is a (more ) flawed team apart from Manning missing the season. Contracts are not as bloated as they were, so they will be ample offers (Redskins) and sliding down a few slots, with picks in hand and still getting Barkley, Griffin or BPA is a better option.

You think it's going to be interesting what team Luck goes to? I think you're all alone on an island there.
no chance at all
A few things on my mind re: Luck/Indy. I think that Indy is a (more ) flawed team apart from Manning missing the season. Contracts are not as bloated as they were, so they will be ample offers (Redskins) and sliding down a few slots, with picks in hand and still getting Barkley, Griffin or BPA is a better option.
I don't think Indy as an organization is forward thinking enough to be attracted to Griffin, much less use him properly but aside from that, I agree.

He has already torn an ACL, not sure if that robbed him of any of his athleticism already. But it's impressive that he recovered from that in college to win the Heisman.With that said, I will take Andrew Luck over him in my FF drafts. People love Tebow/Cam now, but running QB's never stay healthy in the NFL.
Not sure it's fair to label him a running QB. He's got a strong arm and is very accurate. He's a much better passing QB than Tebow and Newton were in college. His passing stats are incredible. Plus he's an amazing athlete to boot. I'm 100% on his band wagon and am praying I can snag him in my keeper league. I'll take him over Luck without any hesitation.

He is definitely cool under the pressure. My favoite one is #3 : "Indianapolis Colts here I come. " I love the way Dave Letterman reacts after Griffin reads that line.

(Letterman was born and raised in a town just outside Indianpolis.)

As mentioned earlier, the Colts are far too conservative to draft a guy like Griffin.

I pray with all my might that my Browns get him... and do right by him with at least one solid weapon.

Not sure it's fair to label him a running QB. He's got a strong arm and is very accurate. He's a much better passing QB than Tebow and Newton were in college. His passing stats are incredible. Plus he's an amazing athlete to boot. I'm 100% on his band wagon and am praying I can snag him in my keeper league. I'll take him over Luck without any hesitation.
RG3's passing stats were incredible compared to Cam/Tebow? You realize that, outside of completion percentage (where Tebow/Cam were right behind), Tebow/Cam topped him in every passing stat of importance, right?QB Rating

Cam: 178.2

Tebow: 170.8

RG3: 165.8

YPA:

Cam: 11.2

Tebow: 10.4

RG3: 9.1

Td/INT ratio:

Tebow: 5.5:1

Cam: 4.2:1

RG3: 4.1:1

Completion %:

RG3: 69.4

Tebow: 66.4

Cam: 65.4

Tebow/Newton are #1/#2 for highest passer rating among heisman winners ever.

I'm not using this as an argument against RG3, but the notion that Tebow/Cam weren't great college passers is sheer insanity. Their entire offenses were based around the idea that teams were too scared of Tebow and Cam's passing ability to play up in the box to stop the run. In Tebow's heisman winning year he spent a several game stretch in the middle of the season where he was injured and couldn't run or scramble and still lit the scoreboards up through the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

RG3's passing stats were incredible compared to Cam/Tebow? You realize that, outside of completion percentage (where Tebow/Cam were right behind), Tebow/Cam topped him in every passing stat of importance, right?QB Rating

Cam: 178.2

Tebow: 170.8

RG3: 165.8

YPA:

Cam: 11.2

Tebow: 10.4

RG3: 9.1

Td/INT ratio:

Tebow: 5.5:1

Cam: 4.2:1

RG3: 4.1:1

Completion %:

RG3: 69.4

Tebow: 66.4

Cam: 65.4

Tebow/Newton are #1/#2 for highest passer rating among heisman winners ever.

I'm not using this as an argument against RG3, but the notion that Tebow/Cam weren't great college passers is sheer insanity. Their entire offenses were based around the idea that teams were too scared of Tebow and Cam's passing ability to play up in the box to stop the run. In Tebow's heisman winning year he spent a several game stretch in the middle of the season where he was injured and couldn't run or scramble and still lit the scoreboards up through the air.
Where did I say that Tebow and Cam weren't great college passers? I'm just saying RGIII is much better which I believe he is. I can cherry pick a bunch of stats that favor RGIII and if you look at their best seasons RGIII has better stats in every significant category. Here's each QB's best college season...Cam - 185/280 2854 yards 30TD 7 INT 66.1% completion QB rating 172.5

Tebow - 234/350 3286 yards 32TD 6 INT 66.9% completion QB rating 182

RGIII - 267/364 3998 yards 36TD 6 INT 72.4% completion QB rating 192.3 (highest ever for a heisman winner)

Cam had an amazing number of TDs compared to his completions but RGIII blows them both away in the yardage department. He does have more TDs than both as well. A 5-6% higher completion percentage is a significant difference too.

Look I'm not trying to knock Cam/Tebow in any way as all 3 were great college QB's. I just think RGIII's was better.

no chance at all
A few things on my mind re: Luck/Indy. I think that Indy is a (more ) flawed team apart from Manning missing the season.

Contracts are not as bloated as they were, so they will be ample offers (Redskins) and sliding down a few slots, with picks in hand and still getting Barkley, Griffin or BPA is a better option.
I think so too, and the evidence is in the total implosion this season. Indy needs help everywhere. I'm not the only one saying that they need to drop Manning, before that bonus kicks in, so they've got cap room to build up in other areas. They can use the first pick for either of the 'start-ready' QB's. Hurts to post that as a Manning fan.

blessed by Tebow himself... what more can one ask for?Seriously, as has been mentioned, spread offense is not as big a deal as traditionally has been. Teams WILL adjust their scheme for a player of Griffin's qualities.

For some reason... I feel like people (some) see a black QB, and assume all run, no brains. Really don't mean to bring race into it, but I think it's true.

That is a very ignorant statement to make.

Like many, I'm rooting for Griffin to do well. His size is really the only thing working against him.

If he does, he's going to be a MAJOR media star what with his smarts, sense of humor, and quirkiness.

It's not at all ignorant... It's fact.Especially down in my neighbour to the south... but even up here in the north.

Denying that there is an immense stigma that blacks are less "intelligent" is, in itself, ignorant.

It's not at all ignorant... It's fact.Especially down in my neighbour to the south... but even up here in the north.

Denying that there is an immense stigma that blacks are less "intelligent" is, in itself, ignorant.
I don't associate white with "brilliant" too often either. Probably one guy I know.

Ignorant is not knowing how to spell "neighbor".

Spread QB. Those numbers in that type of offense tend to be skewed when comparing them to QB's that play in Pro Style offenses which require drop backs and more read progressions. Tremendous tools but he's not going to be as pro ready on day 1 as will Luck and Barkley if he comes out.
Ha. Caught any Panthers games?Can the kid throw the rock? Can he make pro passes?

I know... you Americans... it's one thing after another. Is it really that difficult to add one extra letter?

I know... you Americans... it's one thing after another. Is it really that difficult to add one extra letter?
Why would I want to add a letter in order to spell a word incorrectly?

Users who are viewing this thread