What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG IDP Coverage (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Hope everyone had (or will have, for those with Week 17 championship games or total points to chase) a successful 2011 season.

From offseason articles to inseason columns to tools to podcasts to forum and twitter support and gameday breaking news updates, we think our IDP coverage is second to none. A lot of what we've been able to do has been because of your support of all things IDP. But we're always looking to improve.

There are a few things on our list of priorities this offseason -- finding a way to consistently do dynasty coverage, adding IDP support to the Rate My Team feature, splitting DT and CB in the Draft Dominator, improving our database and projections processes, among others. While we probably won't be able to get everything on our wish list (and we acknowledge that some of those items have been on the list for awhile now), we'd like to hear ideas about those possibilities and anything else you might like to see us add, change, or improve.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a lot to ask, but I'd love to see a second set of projections each week in order to get a second opinion on the MyFBG tools.

I really like Jene's late-season tiering articles - it would be neat if we could get a combined tiering article around week 11 with input from each of the IDP writers.

Still, I love the IDP coverage. Of the eight articles I read every week on FBG, 4 are IDP (and another is the rent-a-defense article by Bloom). I check other IDP articles if I have time.

First thing that popped into my head: It'd be awesome to somehow make the IDP Roundtables available on Wednesdays once we hit the part of the schedule where the Thursdays night games start.

(I also think it should be mandatory to have a "double bumper" at the beginning of every FBG podcast).

Weekly projections would be great! Aside from sites like idpguru and kffl, there's not a lot of sites for getting a projected ranking for each position.

(I also think it should be mandatory to have a "double bumper" at the beginning of every FBG podcast).
Done.
Weekly projections would be great! Aside from sites like idpguru and kffl, there's not a lot of sites for getting a projected ranking for each position.
John Norton has been projecting well over 300 defensive players each week during the season for many years. There's some tweaking that could help us ensure that the database links up without errors and there might be room to add fractional tackles to generate a little more separation between players, but the projections have long been a key part of our inseason offerings. I might be misreading your suggestion, though. Was there something else you had in mind?

There are a few things on our list of priorities this offseason -- finding a way to consistently do dynasty coverage, adding IDP support to the Rate My Team feature, splitting DT and CB in the Draft Dominator, improving our database and projections processes, among others. While we probably won't be able to get everything on our wish list (and we acknowledge that some of those items have been on the list for awhile now), we'd like to hear ideas about those possibilities and anything else you might like to see us add, change, or improve.

:popcorn:
The splitting DT and CB in Draft dominator and lineup dominator is huge for me. I would also like to be able to make my FBG more customizeable with scoring for each IDP position rather than general IDP scoring. I find myself using My FBG a lot more than the dominators anymore and it would be great for leagues that score DL different from LB and DB.Not sure how, but more in depth on the dynasty side would be great, and a 2nd opinion on IDP projections would be really cool, but I understand there aren't many out there as good as Norton's.

I'd like to be able to, when negotiating the weekly content, be able to access the IDP coverage with one click. Or, for that matter, any dynasty coverage. The weekly content is such a massive amount of material, it is sometimes more than I can bear to go through, day by day, to find stuff that appeals to me. Seems to me that organizing it by day makes sense, but it'd be nice to have another way of sorting the data.

I would love to see one place where I can access all the dynasty sleepers/stashes that get mentioned. A feature, around week 10 or so, of players that are in prime position for the following year would be great. Apologies if this feature exists. But a big part of dynasty/keeper leagues (and isn't that most IDP leagues?) is dropping end of roster chaff for backups that may pay off down the road.

Example: Grabbing Colin McCarthy (before he did anything) when it became apparent that Ruud wasn't setting the world on fire, and perhaps wasn't going to return next year. Now, the Titans may go and get a better MLB, or Ruud could re-sign, but dropping my backup kicker after my starters bye didn't harm anything, and I didn't have to even waste a high waiver spot to grab him.

Older players on expiring contracts, that maybe the average fan isn't thinking of, is there a young buck waiting in the wings? That sort of thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but especially for teams out of playoff contention, grabbing deep sleeper fliers towards the end of the fantasy regular season is a pretty common occurrence in my keeper and dynasty leagues.

I'd like to be able to, when negotiating the weekly content, be able to access the IDP coverage with one click. Or, for that matter, any dynasty coverage. The weekly content is such a massive amount of material, it is sometimes more than I can bear to go through, day by day, to find stuff that appeals to me. Seems to me that organizing it by day makes sense, but it'd be nice to have another way of sorting the data. I would love to see one place where I can access all the dynasty sleepers/stashes that get mentioned. A feature, around week 10 or so, of players that are in prime position for the following year would be great. Apologies if this feature exists. But a big part of dynasty/keeper leagues (and isn't that most IDP leagues?) is dropping end of roster chaff for backups that may pay off down the road.Example: Grabbing Colin McCarthy (before he did anything) when it became apparent that Ruud wasn't setting the world on fire, and perhaps wasn't going to return next year. Now, the Titans may go and get a better MLB, or Ruud could re-sign, but dropping my backup kicker after my starters bye didn't harm anything, and I didn't have to even waste a high waiver spot to grab him. Older players on expiring contracts, that maybe the average fan isn't thinking of, is there a young buck waiting in the wings? That sort of thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but especially for teams out of playoff contention, grabbing deep sleeper fliers towards the end of the fantasy regular season is a pretty common occurrence in my keeper and dynasty leagues.
Definitely and completely agree on the ease of access concerns. That's something that has been discussed and will hopefully be implemented in some form next year. Both eliminating the multiple click navigation and including some sort of synopsis of article every week would be helpful. There's always some discussion of year N+1 where appropriate in our weekly columns, but those changes in access and description would, for example, make it easier to know that I wrote extensively about futures prospects in the Week 10, 11 and 12 RTD, Tony did an extended Buy Low on futures prospects in his Week 16 Buy Low, Sell High and that John Norton's Week 17 EOTG column is always dedicated entirely to his 2012 thoughts.

When I look at the projections I'd like to be able to click on the player and not only get the info but what his future schedule looks like. To go one step further it would be cool to see it further show how the opponent ranks for his position. Would be even better to see what it look likes each week going forward for that opponent.

On the dynasty rankings have it linked to a team that you have on MFL similar to My FBG also showing available players. It would be EXTREMELY helpful with multiple leagues trying to keep it all straight FA and off season type trades.

I would also love to see the podcast as well as all IDP content available earlier but understand timing.

Thanks for all your IDP information and advice. It is much read and listen to material and RTD and EOTG have been two of my favorite items EVERY week for SEVERAL years.

I'd like to have the option to choose which FBG email is sent my way OR categorize which types of emails get sent my way (check boxes with Offense, Defense, Breaking News).. Like massraider's comments above, I would like to be able to access the content based on type. Each week, I pretty much do a search of the page for IDP or Bramel or Norton to get the articles I want.

I'd like to have the option to choose which FBG email is sent my way OR categorize which types of emails get sent my way (check boxes with Offense, Defense, Breaking News).. Like massraider's comments above, I would like to be able to access the content based on type. Each week, I pretty much do a search of the page for IDP or Bramel or Norton to get the articles I want.
This is a recommendation I make every season in the Shark Pool when they ask for opinions on future features.

This is a recommendation I make every season in the Shark Pool when they ask for opinions on future features.
I would like to see defensive rankings during the playoffs. Most of my leagues have playoffs during the NFL playoffs.

I would like to see defensive rankings during the playoffs. Most of my leagues have playoffs during the NFL playoffs.
I know John sent these to David last week after I sent him an email mid-week after being asked if we were doing them again this season, and I think I overheard them discussing Saturday AM changes during our staff retreat this weekend. I see the projections listed under the Week P1 content right now. Was there not a link at all or were they just not up until later in the week?

The combined draft board was awesome - keep that for 2012, and perhaps add a segment where you and Bloom and Lammey discuss that in an audible (perhaps together with the post draft Bloom 100? Even if Bloom tends to undervalue IDPs a bit ;-) )

The draft coverage this year was very good iirc. The Twitter format may be too cumbersome, but a shark pool draft thread with the draftniks pick by pick comments (even if uploaded from twitter unformatted) could be very interesting, it would certainly be less resource demanding than a live audible (except for staff time, that is...).

I echo the comments on a different formatting of the weekly content - with the new technologies maybe articles could be tagged and then 'subscribed' to based on content (and subscription to the site obviously)? Could MYFBG be used in this respect?

I echo the comments on a different formatting of the weekly content - with the new technologies maybe articles could be tagged and then 'subscribed' to based on content (and subscription to the site obviously)? Could MYFBG be used in this respect?
:goodposting: That would be awesome if we could use an RSS feed for when new articles came out. :popcorn:

Another thing I just thought of: I bugged me that the IDP part of the top-200 forward rankings wouldn't go up on Tuesday (before waivers) a lot of the time. I really like those rankings and I use them to help me with waiver claims. Having them go up after waivers have already processed in the majority of leagues is pretty useless.

Snap count data. Factual information is of more use than opinions of those not using the statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread