What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spurrier Resigns From Skins (1 Viewer)

GDB Spurrier leaving... I was enjoying him making the Skins even more pitiful...GB living in DC when the local team sucks!

LOL at Snyder signing Arrington, the guy Marvin Lewis said would lose more games for the Skins than he would help them win, getting $26.5 million in guaranteed money while they have failed to step up and sign the best young cover corner in the league. Keep up the great work Danny boy!Cheers
uh, you got any linkage to that Lewis comment? I never heard that one.best young cover corner is up the road in Baltimore. Champ is nice, but not the best.Cheers!

[QUOTE=']GDB Spurrier leaving... I was enjoying him making the Skins even more pitiful...GB living in DC when the local team sucks!
[/QUOTE]Sorry I'm so dumb, but I've seen GB and GDB many times and don't really know what they mean. GB is a good thing, and GDB is a bad thing, I gather... but please enlighten me? An embarrassed thank you in advance.

LOL at Snyder signing Arrington, the guy Marvin Lewis said would lose more games for the Skins than he would help them win, getting $26.5 million in guaranteed money while they have failed to step up and sign the best young cover corner in the league. Keep up the great work Danny boy!

Cheers
uh, you got any linkage to that Lewis comment? I never heard that one.best young cover corner is up the road in Baltimore. Champ is nice, but not the best.

Cheers!
I couldn't find a direct link, but there are quite a few articles talking about the problems between the two. Here's one from SI:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writ.../banks.insider/

Last season, it was hardly a secret that Arrington's career-long penchant for straying from his assignments drove then-Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis up a wall. Arrington will run into some plays with his chase- the-ballcarrier style, but many observers feel he'll miss just as many by not being where he should be.

Time and time again last season, Lewis lectured Arrington on the wisdom of playing within the team's defensive structure, rather than freelancing at will, but Arrington chafed at the lack of freedom to roam, as he was allowed to do in his huge senior season at Penn State. While Arrington is a three-time Pro Bowl selection -- proving how overrated players are sometimes rewarded in the voting process -- he might want to get his own house in order before he continues his role as the team's spokesman and resident conscience.
And here's the article that speaks directly to Marvin's criticism of Lavar...http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no24arrington.html

That was the last time they spoke -- until the Redskins pursued Marvin to be their defensive coordinator last winter. Marvin almost turned them down, but the money was outrageous, and he remembered the kid from North Hills. "LaVar is one of the reasons why you come," he says. But Marvin got to DC and started watching game film, and he couldn't believe the brainless way No. 56 played. "He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off," Marvin says.

So Marvin and LaVar were going to battle too. Marvin was going to ask LaVar to be a stay-in-your-gap linebacker on first and second downs and a pass-rushing defensive end on third. Marvin was going to try what Ray Rhodes tried during LaVar's rookie year: rein him in. Rhodes failed, of course, because LaVar was doubled over half the time. "I had a little belly on me," LaVar says. "The coaches didn't like me. I was new money. I was eating out every day, eating the wrong things. Too lax."

The team went 8–8, Rhodes was replaced by Kurt Schottenheimer, Marty's little brother. LaVar loved that Kurt and Marty asked him to just chase the football, and he turned an 0–5 season around with an interception return against Carolina. But the team went 8–8 again, and Dan Snyder made his annual coaching change. In came the Steve Spurrier-Marvin Lewis regime. Imagine LaVar's surprise when Marvin told him he'd been doing everything wrong.

"He killed them last year, killed his own team," Marvin says. "Against Chicago, critical third down, he doesn't cover the back. Back catches the ball for a first down. A guy I could cover. And they lose."

Then how did Arrington make the Pro Bowl?

"It's like I told him: You'll be on SportsCenter for your big hits, and you might go to the Pro Bowl, but we'll win six games," Marvin says. "Or you can do it right, and we can win 12 games."

So is LaVar just a role player now?

"That's what everybody is," Marvin says. "If you want to win, you need 11 role players."

Marvin's options were to change the scheme or change LaVar, and the scheme stayed. He assigned LaVar a personal coach, Jimmy Collins, because LaVar now had play calls to make. When word of a Marvin-LaVar philosophical rift went public after Week 3, Marvin demanded they talk it out. "And if he won't talk to me, I'll follow him to the locker room," Marvin says. "We're not going to do that fraction crap that breaks teams apart."

But too late. During games, LaVar would break the huddle and raise his palms up. "When he raises his hands it means, 'I don't know this call, I'm just going to be LaVar,' " says teammate Jessie Armstead. Lewis benched him a play in Frisco for doing that. And on the plane home from that game, LaVar told friends, "I didn't come here to be a defensive end." That's when his mama stopped watching.

"Listen, I don't have a problem with Marvin," LaVar says. "A lot of players bash their coaches and get away with it. And I'm not a fool -- I'm in a perfect position to bash him, if I wanted to. I'm coming off a Pro Bowl season. I could sit here and say, yeah, I turned last season around. But I don't buy into that. He's my coach. I'm not going to do no Terrell Owens-Steve Mariucci, because I'm no #######. I'm just uptight.

"Two seasons, and all I am is 8–8. I've just got to start ballin' again. Like I balled back in the day."
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
as an Eagles fan, I'd be happy to debate which NFC East rival is more ashambles all day long, but for right now, my $$$s on the Skins.
yet the debate ends quickly when the realization sinks in that each NFC East rival has something that the Beagles do not: multiple super bowl rings.LOL at that.

as an Eagles fan, I'd be happy to debate which NFC East rival is more ashambles all day long, but for right now, my $$$s on the Skins.
yet the debate ends quickly when the realization sinks in that each NFC East rival has something that the Beagles do not: multiple super bowl rings.LOL at that.
LIVE IN THE NOW! :D I know I do... :tryingtoforgetthestingingpainthatisourpreviousplayofffailures:Cheers

LOL at Snyder signing Arrington, the guy Marvin Lewis said would lose more games for the Skins than he would help them win, getting $26.5 million in guaranteed money while they have failed to step up and sign the best young cover corner in the league. Keep up the great work Danny boy!

Cheers
uh, you got any linkage to that Lewis comment? I never heard that one.best young cover corner is up the road in Baltimore. Champ is nice, but not the best.

Cheers!
I couldn't find a direct link, but there are quite a few articles talking about the problems between the two. Here's one from SI:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writ.../banks.insider/

Last season, it was hardly a secret that Arrington's career-long penchant for straying from his assignments drove then-Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis up a wall. Arrington will run into some plays with his chase- the-ballcarrier style, but many observers feel he'll miss just as many by not being where he should be.

Time and time again last season, Lewis lectured Arrington on the wisdom of playing within the team's defensive structure, rather than freelancing at will, but Arrington chafed at the lack of freedom to roam, as he was allowed to do in his huge senior season at Penn State. While Arrington is a three-time Pro Bowl selection -- proving how overrated players are sometimes rewarded in the voting process -- he might want to get his own house in order before he continues his role as the team's spokesman and resident conscience.
And here's the article that speaks directly to Marvin's criticism of Lavar...http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no24arrington.html

That was the last time they spoke -- until the Redskins pursued Marvin to be their defensive coordinator last winter. Marvin almost turned them down, but the money was outrageous, and he remembered the kid from North Hills. "LaVar is one of the reasons why you come," he says. But Marvin got to DC and started watching game film, and he couldn't believe the brainless way No. 56 played. "He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off," Marvin says.

So Marvin and LaVar were going to battle too. Marvin was going to ask LaVar to be a stay-in-your-gap linebacker on first and second downs and a pass-rushing defensive end on third. Marvin was going to try what Ray Rhodes tried during LaVar's rookie year: rein him in. Rhodes failed, of course, because LaVar was doubled over half the time. "I had a little belly on me," LaVar says. "The coaches didn't like me. I was new money. I was eating out every day, eating the wrong things. Too lax."

The team went 8–8, Rhodes was replaced by Kurt Schottenheimer, Marty's little brother. LaVar loved that Kurt and Marty asked him to just chase the football, and he turned an 0–5 season around with an interception return against Carolina. But the team went 8–8 again, and Dan Snyder made his annual coaching change. In came the Steve Spurrier-Marvin Lewis regime. Imagine LaVar's surprise when Marvin told him he'd been doing everything wrong.

"He killed them last year, killed his own team," Marvin says. "Against Chicago, critical third down, he doesn't cover the back. Back catches the ball for a first down. A guy I could cover. And they lose."

Then how did Arrington make the Pro Bowl?

"It's like I told him: You'll be on SportsCenter for your big hits, and you might go to the Pro Bowl, but we'll win six games," Marvin says. "Or you can do it right, and we can win 12 games."

So is LaVar just a role player now?

"That's what everybody is," Marvin says. "If you want to win, you need 11 role players."

Marvin's options were to change the scheme or change LaVar, and the scheme stayed. He assigned LaVar a personal coach, Jimmy Collins, because LaVar now had play calls to make. When word of a Marvin-LaVar philosophical rift went public after Week 3, Marvin demanded they talk it out. "And if he won't talk to me, I'll follow him to the locker room," Marvin says. "We're not going to do that fraction crap that breaks teams apart."

But too late. During games, LaVar would break the huddle and raise his palms up. "When he raises his hands it means, 'I don't know this call, I'm just going to be LaVar,' " says teammate Jessie Armstead. Lewis benched him a play in Frisco for doing that. And on the plane home from that game, LaVar told friends, "I didn't come here to be a defensive end." That's when his mama stopped watching.

"Listen, I don't have a problem with Marvin," LaVar says. "A lot of players bash their coaches and get away with it. And I'm not a fool -- I'm in a perfect position to bash him, if I wanted to. I'm coming off a Pro Bowl season. I could sit here and say, yeah, I turned last season around. But I don't buy into that. He's my coach. I'm not going to do no Terrell Owens-Steve Mariucci, because I'm no #######. I'm just uptight.

"Two seasons, and all I am is 8–8. I've just got to start ballin' again. Like I balled back in the day."
Cheers
thanks for the linkage. I think it's a little short of what you quoted, but they certainly had issues.

LIVE IN THE NOW!
but all we have is past glory. however, I have formed an assasination committee. we need one good skins fan with knowledge of danny's day-to-day routine and silly skills with a high powered rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread