What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2012 Off Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Jones, Washington Post confirms that Hightower will be released.

Aldrick Robinson, Gomes, and Doughty have made the team.
Re: Hightower = WOW. Morris played himself in and Hightower out I guess. I really thought Hightower had an upper hand based on his ability to pass block so well. They must really believe in their young stable of RBs -- 2 second year players and 1 rookie. I wonder if this makes Alfred Morris the starter (I selected him in the last round of my fantasy draft btw..lol)

:wall: This Team is nowhere near the level where they can afford a luxury-item player a la Brandon Banks, IMO. Not while the O-Line is still a patchwork unit at best.
I agree.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how all the position groups are coming together, and I'm now fairly certain that we have a reasonable opportunity to win 6 games this year, and if Griffin III were to perform at the absolute ceiling of his current NFL ability, we could finish 8-8......with one glaring exception: The Offensive Line.Until that situation is improved dramatically, Banks' spot, and probably a few others at the very bottom of the Roster, ought to be revolving doors for any and every available Offensive Lineman who has even had as much as a cup of coffee with an NFL Team.
I agree.
Cripes, will the stupid crap that went on during the Cerrato Era NEVER cease repercussing??? :wall:
They've rebuilt some areas of the team as you mentioned, and I'm glad of that. There's not such a void behind the starters as there used to be under Vinnie's last years. They had less depth than just about every other team in the league at that time. But the special teams and offensive lines seem to be blind spots for Shanahan and Allen. It's almost like Vinnie is still choosing personnel for those areas. Banks is only here because of Danny Smith, who should have been fired for poor special teams play but just seems to keep getting a pass. And the O-line is still treated like it's the 80's when Bugel felt he could take any guy off the street and make him a good lineman. You can't do that any more, times change, yet they're still hanging on hoping Jamaal Brown will come back (remember how long they waited for Jansen?), and counting on Lichtensteiger to be a rock all year even though he's coming back from serious injury. If any area of the team should be loaded with quality backups it's the offensive line.

Banks made the team.

He must have incriminating photos of Danny Smith or something. ;)

Hightower expected to be released.
:wall: This Team is nowhere near the level where they can afford a luxury-item player a la Brandon Banks, IMO. Not while the O-Line is still a patchwork unit at best.Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how all the position groups are coming together, and I'm now fairly certain that we have a reasonable opportunity to win 6 games this year, and if Griffin III were to perform at the absolute ceiling of his current NFL ability, we could finish 8-8...

...with one glaring exception: The Offensive Line.

Until that situation is improved dramatically, Banks' spot, and probably a few others at the very bottom of the Roster, ought to be revolving doors for any and every available Offensive Lineman who has even had as much as a cup of coffee with an NFL Team.

Cripes, will the stupid crap that went on during the Cerrato Era NEVER cease repercussing??? :wall:
While I certainly don't disagree that the OL still needs a lot of work, I'm not convinced that keeping Willie Smith or Eric Cook on the active roster over Banks makes the team that much better. Also, Smith and Compton are likely heading to the practice squad, so they will still be around.

Skins are working on trading Anthony Armstrong for Steve Slaton.
Good receiving RB. Not sure about his blocking.
He had one decent season at Houston but had a MAJOR problem with fumbles...that's the only thing that makes me nervous.BTW...does this mean that Alfred Morris gets the start vs. NO? Like the rest of the starters he did not play vs. Tampa Bay...

Last edited by a moderator:
He had one decent season at Houston but had a MAJOR problem with fumbles...that's the only thing that makes me nervous.BTW...does this mean that Alfred Morris gets the start vs. NO? Like the rest of the starters he did not play vs. Tampa Bay...
When healthy, Evan Royster has been the first RB in the preseason. I believe Royster will get first crack at the being the guy with Helu as the change of pace back and 3rd down back. But I suspect we will see a lot of all three this year.

RB's

At the beginning of the season I think Helu will be the main guy, backed up mostly by Royster. But Helu has constant muscle-tightness issues so I expect he'll start missing time. Then it'll be Royster backed mostly by Morris. I think they'll try to work Slaton in running plays he's familiar with from the year under Kyle at Houston. I don't think Slaton will be as good as he was back then though.

By the end of the year I think Morris will be established as the starter, and the starter for next year as well. And Royster and Helu will remain 2a/2b.

All that is pure quesswork.

Banks made the team.

He must have incriminating photos of Danny Smith or something. ;)

Hightower expected to be released.
:wall: This Team is nowhere near the level where they can afford a luxury-item player a la Brandon Banks, IMO. Not while the O-Line is still a patchwork unit at best.Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how all the position groups are coming together, and I'm now fairly certain that we have a reasonable opportunity to win 6 games this year, and if Griffin III were to perform at the absolute ceiling of his current NFL ability, we could finish 8-8...

...with one glaring exception: The Offensive Line.

Until that situation is improved dramatically, Banks' spot, and probably a few others at the very bottom of the Roster, ought to be revolving doors for any and every available Offensive Lineman who has even had as much as a cup of coffee with an NFL Team.

While I certainly don't disagree that the OL still needs a lot of work, I'm not convinced that keeping Willie Smith or Eric Cook on the active roster over Banks makes the team that much better. Also, Smith and Compton are likely heading to the practice squad, so they will still be around.
I think the way you have to look at this is that the Redskins think that Banks can still make s significant impact in the return game. That is a "starter" impact and not a backup impact. So "starter" special teams impact > backup OL impact. I guess that's what they were thinking, and you can justify it, espectially if you think Banks can take it to the house a few times this season and potentially contribute to a win in a few games in this fashion...

That would be my guess otherwise why sit morris? I'm sure they will all get touches though.

I think the way you have to look at this is that the Redskins think that Banks can still make s significant impact in the return game. That is a "starter" impact and not a backup impact. So "starter" special teams impact > backup OL impact. I guess that's what they were thinking, and you can justify it, espectially if you think Banks can take it to the house a few times this season and potentially contribute to a win in a few games in this fashion...
That's probably what they're thinking, yeah.What they're probably also thinking is "this guy could put it on the ground deep in our territory and cost us a game or games, but we sure hope that doesn't happen." They're gambling and hoping, basically. When O-linemen start getting hurt and the backups play worse than the starters, and Griffin's getting pounded, they'll still keep hoping Banks breaks one.

That's probably what they're thinking, yeah.What they're probably also thinking is "this guy could put it on the ground deep in our territory and cost us a game or games, but we sure hope that doesn't happen." They're gambling and hoping, basically. When O-linemen start getting hurt and the backups play worse than the starters, and Griffin's getting pounded, they'll still keep hoping Banks breaks one.
The same level of OL that some are suggesting should be on the team over Banks, will be available in the event they need extra guys to cover for injuries later in the season.

The same level of OL that some are suggesting should be on the team over Banks, will be available in the event they need extra guys to cover for injuries later in the season.
I suspect the Redskins are watching the cuts very closely for another OL that may help them. Remember Jordan Black thought he was done with football when the Redskins called him this summer. And he looks like he is making the team.

I've never really thought of Banks as a huge fumbling risk. I mean, statistically, does he really fumble than other returners? It hasn't seemed so to me...

Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely.

ETA: It would be his 3rd suspension for drugs/banned substances which probably means NFL ban.

'Sidewinder16 said:
Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely.ETA: It would be his 3rd suspension for drugs/banned substances which probably means NFL ban.
Wow. That could explain why they kept so many safeties. I think the team gets a heads up on these suspensions while the player has the opportunity to go through the appeals process and the suspension is not announced until the appeal process is completed or the player decides to not appeal.

'Sidewinder16 said:
Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely.ETA: It would be his 3rd suspension for drugs/banned substances which probably means NFL ban.
Wow. That could explain why they kept so many safeties. I think the team gets a heads up on these suspensions while the player has the opportunity to go through the appeals process and the suspension is not announced until the appeal process is completed or the player decides to not appeal.
PFT is reporting that Jackson was suspended 4 games last year, so this suspension would be for 1 year and then he could file for reinstatement. The appeal process is still available for Jackson.

'Sidewinder16 said:
PFT is reporting that Jackson was suspended 4 games last year, so this suspension would be for 1 year and then he could file for reinstatement. The appeal process is still available for Jackson.
He was suspended for a full year - 12 games in 2010 and 4 last year. His nfl career is done.

'dgreen said:
Disdaining the need for offensive linemen goes beyond Vinnie, Allen, and Shanahan.

'Sidewinder16 said:
He was suspended for a full year - 12 games in 2010 and 4 last year. His nfl career is done.
He's now suspended indefinitely, and can ask for a review in a year.

'dgreen said:
Disdaining the need for offensive linemen goes beyond Vinnie, Allen, and Shanahan.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.Let's have 53 offensive linemen!

'Sidewinder16 said:
Oof. Looked like he was going to be pretty good back there.

'Sidewinder16 said:
2 year long suspensions now. I loved his game but he's done.

'dgreen said:
Yeah, that's what I said.I'm taking issue with you when you say there aren't any O-linemen worth signing now because no one else will sign them and they'll be available and on-call all season. Castoff players do get picked up by other teams and do well sometimes. Andre Carter for example. Brandon Lloyd for example. There's nothing about the offensive line positions that make them different in this regard. Some players who've been cut are worth looking at. It costs nothing and it may help a weak position on the team.

Cut list so far. 20 down, 2 to go.

RB Tim Hightower

WR Terrence Austin

RB Tristan Davis

QB Jonathan Crompton

C Erik Cook

CB Brandyn Thompson

CB David Jones

OT Tom Compton

OT Willie Smith

CB Travon Bellamy

OL Grant Garner

LB Bryan Kehl

LB Brian McNally

DE Doug Worthington

DL Delvin Johnson

DL Marlon Favorite

LB Donnell Holt

DL Darrion Scott

FB Dorson Boyce (note: this is not official, but I was told it would be eventually as he has an injury and a settlement is being discussed. He’s a potential practice squader).

S Tanard Jackson (suspended)

'dgreen said:
Yeah, that's what I said.I'm taking issue with you when you say there aren't any O-linemen worth signing now because no one else will sign them and they'll be available and on-call all season. Castoff players do get picked up by other teams and do well sometimes. Andre Carter for example. Brandon Lloyd for example. There's nothing about the offensive line positions that make them different in this regard. Some players who've been cut are worth looking at. It costs nothing and it may help a weak position on the team.
Well, let's put the shoe on the other foot, so we can things for what they really are:How many of our current linemen would either be starting or reserves for any other NFL Roster?Quite honestly, I think only our boy Silverback would be a starter on another Team. Maybe, MAYBE Chris Chester, but I think I might be reaching. Let's say we were to cut our entire Offensive Line group, with the exception of Trent and Chris. How many of them would get calls from other Teams? How many would get an offer after a tryout? How many would stick, and for how long?Seriously, it is that bad, and for the nothing that this group has accomplished, every darn one of 'em is expendable, and available linemen ought to be brought in every day until they show some improvement.The reason you start bringing them in right now is because offensive line play in the NFL is very much like a ballet routine. The sooner you get someone on board that's worth a crap, the sooner you can start teaching them the steps to the dance, and get them synched up with their dance partners.It can't get worse, so it might as well get better. Cheers!

'dgreen said:
Yeah, that's what I said.I'm taking issue with you when you say there aren't any O-linemen worth signing now because no one else will sign them and they'll be available and on-call all season.

Castoff players do get picked up by other teams and do well sometimes. Andre Carter for example. Brandon Lloyd for example. There's nothing about the offensive line positions that make them different in this regard. Some players who've been cut are worth looking at. It costs nothing and it may help a weak position on the team.
Well, let's put the shoe on the other foot, so we can things for what they really are:How many of our current linemen would either be starting or reserves for any other NFL Roster?

Quite honestly, I think only our boy Silverback would be a starter on another Team. Maybe, MAYBE Chris Chester, but I think I might be reaching. Let's say we were to cut our entire Offensive Line group, with the exception of Trent and Chris. How many of them would get calls from other Teams? How many would get an offer after a tryout? How many would stick, and for how long?

Seriously, it is that bad, and for the nothing that this group has accomplished, every darn one of 'em is expendable, and available linemen ought to be brought in every day until they show some improvement.

The reason you start bringing them in right now is because offensive line play in the NFL is very much like a ballet routine. The sooner you get someone on board that's worth a crap, the sooner you can start teaching them the steps to the dance, and get them synched up with their dance partners.

It can't get worse, so it might as well get better. Cheers!
At some point the bolded starts to work against itself. I think that time is right about now. It is better to try and get the chemistry of the current unit built then to bring in new guys who may be slightly better than another guy. Obviously, if someone is a full Starter vs. Backup grade better bring them in, but if its just another body to compete I think that time has mostly passed.

At some point the bolded starts to work against itself. I think that time is right about now. It is better to try and get the chemistry of the current unit built then to bring in new guys who may be slightly better than another guy. Obviously, if someone is a full Starter vs. Backup grade better bring them in, but if its just another body to compete I think that time has mostly passed.
I disagree. The "bodies" are actually football players who almost made some NFL roster elsewhere, and a lot of those rosters are better than the Redskins' roster. None of them were available to try out until now because they were with other teams. Nobody's saying bring someone new in to start. We're saying bring someone new in to try out, to see if they're any good, to see if they're better than any of the backups we now have, or if a spot can be made for them by dropping someone else from the roster who isn't as needed. The best that our current offensive line can be is average, and that'll happen only if if everything goes right: Trent doesn't smoke another joint, Lichtensteiger suddenly is fully recovered from serious injury, Polumbus turns into someone who's not Polumbus, and Chester and Montgomery stop getting shoved around on the field. If some of those things don't pan out there's a lot to be said for having the best backups possible.Not directed at you personally, but sometimes I feel like I'm in bizarro world, where year after year of lousy offensive line play is preferred because it's what we're comfortable with.

I actually don't think the OL is as bad a everyone here does.

4 sacks given up in 4 exhibition games.

good running game.

I think we get fooled into thinking that the higher the draft pick the better the player and I'm not sure that applies in the ZBS

I disagree. The "bodies" are actually football players who almost made some NFL roster elsewhere, and a lot of those rosters are better than the Redskins' roster. None of them were available to try out until now because they were with other teams. Nobody's saying bring someone new in to start. We're saying bring someone new in to try out, to see if they're any good, to see if they're better than any of the backups we now have, or if a spot can be made for them by dropping someone else from the roster who isn't as needed. The best that our current offensive line can be is average, and that'll happen only if if everything goes right: Trent doesn't smoke another joint, Lichtensteiger suddenly is fully recovered from serious injury, Polumbus turns into someone who's not Polumbus, and Chester and Montgomery stop getting shoved around on the field. If some of those things don't pan out there's a lot to be said for having the best backups possible.

Not directed at you personally, but sometimes I feel like I'm in bizarro world, where year after year of lousy offensive line play is preferred because it's what we're comfortable with.
Sounded like Nitt was saying bring in guys to compete for starting spots.

Sounded like Nitt was saying bring in guys to compete for starting spots.
Well if you want to pick nits, if someone tried out and was actually good enough to compete for a starting spot, would that be bad? I don't think so. I don't think any NFL team would think so.

It was a total boned headed pick. Best case situation is that you trade him for a second in two years. If he doesn't play you haven;t even gotten the utility out of the pick to offset the declining time value. The only way he'll show up well is if you put developement time into him. Not real smart taking that time away from RG3 after you mortgaged the future for him.
No the best case situation is that the Redskins get a competant backup, something that is not currently on the roster.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread