Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ariakis

***2012 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread***

936 posts in this topic

Not really news on the team, but thought I'd share.

Dallas Cowboys jerseys are all half off right now on their website. I just bought two replica jerseys for $25.00 apiece. Can't beat that deal if you need/want to load up on some jerseys.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped.

Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys.

That's a phenom OL.

Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.

I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped. Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys. That's a phenom OL. Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.

I was on the Grubbs bandwagon too. I watched him very closely during the Pats playoff game. He was having trouble holding his ground and was getting pushed back into the pocket regularly. My opinion has changed on him. Options:FA NicksorRound 1-DeCastroorRound 2- One of the other top OG's - Zeitler

I really am beginning to believe that we're starting year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding cycle. Last year, we cleanout the bad salaries on the offense. I expect this year will be the defense. But further, there are so many holes to fill that I don't think they can be adequately patched in 1 offseason. So in my mind, the idea is to take the best value in FA and the draft at all of those holes which we've elaborated on ad naseum. And realize that the remainder will have to wait until next year.

Its really 2013 in my mind that we should have a legit shot. The core of Ware/Romo/Witten/Rat/Austin will still have a bit of life left. And that is really the best shot we'll have.

Long term value would be my goal this offseason. Don't reach just to fill a hole for this season.

Depending on trade up/down scenarios ahead of us, I think DeCastro will be there. If not...I'd totally "settle" for Konz. Watched a thing on him the other day, and he looks as legit as he's hyped. Bring in Nicks or Grubbs, but please Jerry please...get one of those guys. That's a phenom OL. Good value/risk with CB in 2nd round.I'll beat this :deadhorse: throughout the FA period and draft.

I was on the Grubbs bandwagon too. I watched him very closely during the Pats playoff game. He was having trouble holding his ground and was getting pushed back into the pocket regularly. My opinion has changed on him.
Interesting. Was it Wilfork? If so, I might give him a pass. Otherwise, that's not terribly encouraging to hear.

I'll be honest I was watching Grubbs so closely that I didn't really pay attention to who he was matched up against. Will try to investigate further. It didn't look good though.

A couple thoughts on Routt: I'm lukewarm on the idea of bringing him in)

-Yes 9 tds and a bunch of penalties. In his defense, Oakland runs more man to man coverage then any team in the league. Also, there pass rush isn't exactly a strength.

-He was very highly ranked on db metrics 2 years ago.

-He has played for Ryan and knows the system.

-Good size and elite speed

It all comes down to $$$$ for me.

This article says Dallas could have around $20M when free agency starts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4689658/salary-cap-wont-be-issue-for-cowboys

Is there any chance they get help at CB and OL with these pending FA's. How many players could they get in theory?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17188691/top-50-free-agents-former-top-pick-williams-is-top-player-on-open-market

From another Cowboys board who has NFL connections:

-He claims that the Panthers love Decastro. He is likely gone 14.

-He wouldn't be surprised if Brooking was back as a back up.

-Jags in hot pursuit of Robinson

-He expects possibly 4 QB's battling for the backup spot. Team is not sold on McGee. Talk of McNabb...

-Expect the Cowboys to talk to FA corners Tracy Porter and Bryant McFadden.

-Dallas will be looking at LB's in FA as well as having ALL scouts watch the LB's combine. Team is watching the Nevada duo of Michael Johnson and Brett Roy.

-Complete switch to a 4-3 highly unlikely, but will start using more 4 man fronts.

Baltimore is not going to resign Ben Grubbs and he will hit the market.

-Saints will sign one of Colston or Nicks, not both.

-Prefers Jenkins over Kirkpatrick by quite a bit.

I copied this part of the post:

-If your hearing the rumors about CB Janoris Jenkins and interest from the Dallas Cowboys but don't buy it based on his character issues then you need to put it aside.........for now. Garrett and Jerry have brought a new approach to dealing with character issues and prospects and from what I'm told it played out when Dez was drafted. Up until the final board and ranking are decided the Cowboys take the approach that each player has a Sparkling clean background. This allows them to grade each player only based on their productivity and workout's. Once the process is complete they slide the player around or remove them all together based on their preset point system attached to each concern. This also apply's to injuries. I'm told that prior to the final adjustments on the board in 2010 Dez Bryant and Sean Lee were both given top 10 scores on the Cowboys board. This also lets you know that any reports that the Cowboys removed this player or that player from their board anytime before late April is simply anticipation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sharing what I saw. He is a very well respected posted with a track record of some inside tidbits.

I always laugh when people make a bucket list for the offseason and it includes messing around with the backup qb. Really?

I always laugh when people make a bucket list for the offseason and it includes messing around with the backup qb. Really?

He didn't make a "bucket list", he posted on what he is hearing from sources he knows throughout the league. I didn't post his whole thing as some was not even Cowboy related. Again, feel free to take with a grain of salt, but it would be just as foolish to totally disregard ALL of it too.Besides...what's so great about McGee. Help me understand?

He didn't make a "bucket list", he posted on what he is hearing from sources he knows throughout the league. I didn't post his whole thing as some was not even Cowboy related. Again, feel free to take with a grain of salt, but it would be just as foolish to totally disregard ALL of it too.Besides...what's so great about McGee. Help me understand?
Zero chance the Cowboys DONT bring in a veteran QB. McGee has some promise but that guy isnt ready to take this team to the playoffs. I am not 100% sold he will ever materialize to anything more than a decent backup. I dont see him as the QB of the future either.

Did anyone post all of Dallas' picks for the upcoming draft? I'm striking out in my searches to find a round by round list. Thanks.

Did anyone post all of Dallas' picks for the upcoming draft? I'm striking out in my searches to find a round by round list. Thanks.

1.14, 2.13, 3.19, 4.18, 5.17, 6.16, 7.15 Plus compensatory picks-I think we are in line for an additional 6th.

1.14, 2.13, 3.19, 4.18, 5.17, 6.16, 7.15 Plus compensatory picks-I think we are in line for an additional 6th.
Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sir.
You bet :thumbup:

Great tidbits. Thanks for sharing. A couple of my thoughts...

I totally see this, and he would be a great fit. But, I just can't see them passing on defense, which is such a high area of need for them. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd want them to secure Kirkpatrick, Coples, or Ingram.

I'm fine with this. He is still a great locker room guy. Skills no longer hugely effective, but still could contribute 10-15 snaps/game.

Sadly, he's as good as gone. Will be overpaid, so good for him. But, after last year, we can't afford him.

-He expects possibly 4 QB's battling for the backup spot. Team is not sold on McGee. Talk of McNabb...

Not McNabb, please.

Oof. Porter? McFadden? Ouch. Complete disasters in coverage, if you ask me. Would much prefer (certainly) Carr, or Finnegan, or the next tier guys in Middleton, Marshall, etc

As noted before, really hope that Brees deal doesn't get done by March 13, and the Saints slap the FT on him and not Nicks. Remote chance, still, but would like that chance. Although, at 7 years, $58 million or whatever it will take to sign Nicks, I'm not sure if Grubbs isn't the better value.

I don't. Talent's there for Jenkins, but he's not worth the headache.

Great tidbits. Thanks for sharing. A couple of my thoughts...

I totally see this, and he would be a great fit. But, I just can't see them passing on defense, which is such a high area of need for them. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd want them to secure Kirkpatrick, Coples, or Ingram.

I'm fine with this. He is still a great locker room guy. Skills no longer hugely effective, but still could contribute 10-15 snaps/game.

Sadly, he's as good as gone. Will be overpaid, so good for him. But, after last year, we can't afford him.

Not McNabb, please.

Oof. Porter? McFadden? Ouch. Complete disasters in coverage, if you ask me. Would much prefer (certainly) Carr, or Finnegan, or the next tier guys in Middleton, Marshall, etc

As noted before, really hope that Brees deal doesn't get done by March 13, and the Saints slap the FT on him and not Nicks. Remote chance, still, but would like that chance. Although, at 7 years, $58 million or whatever it will take to sign Nicks, I'm not sure if Grubbs isn't the better value.

I don't. Talent's there for Jenkins, but he's not worth the headache.

-Agree on McNabb. I would be ill.

-More and more I think Jenkins is smokescreen.

-Too much money for Nicks and while Grubbs is solid, I dont want him either.

That list seemed to be a bullet point sheet discussing current cowboy events. The other players I assumed were mentioned as a way of addressing players the Cowboys otherwise were interested in.I just giggle when people tinker with the backup QB as if this team is so talented you have to have a contingency plan in place to save the season from a Romo injury.

Don't post in here much, but this quote from Jerry stood out. His perception of reality is so far off. Until that changes with a new GM, luck will be the only way to get to the SB. Owners need to dream like this and the GM needs to live in reality/make it happen.

Even if they stand pat, the Dallas Cowboys could field a championship-caliber team next season, owner Jerry Jones said Friday. "We have a team that can compete for the Super Bowl," he said. "I thought the team last year had the talent to compete for the Super Bowl. I believe that. And we fell short of not competing for a Super Bowl by letting the Giants come back at Cowboys Stadium."

DeCastro and Cordy Glenn were very impressive.

After hearing about Janoris Jenkins PC...I hope he his taken off our board.

Brockers with some eye popping measurables too.

I'm becoming more open to the idea up taking Upshall.

I want Ben Jones in the 2nd round.

There are a lot of quality CB's available if the Cowboys have cap space starting with Brandon Carr of KC if he isn't franchised. If they can somehow retain their key FA's, add Nicks and Carr ... they can truly focus on BPA in the draft with an emphasis on pass rusher.

Interesting bit from Rotoworld ... #2 on my wishlist now linked to Dallas also!

Brandon Carr - DB - ChiefsAccording to Pro Football Weekly, the Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr and are expected to "go all in for him" when the market opens.Carr is a big, physical corner with experience in both man and zone schemes, and he'd be a sizable upgrade on Terence Newman at left cornerback. The Cowboys can release Newman after March 13 and "designate" him a post-June 1 cut, saving over $6 million in cap space. Carr will command a pretty penny, but the secondary was Dallas' most glaring weakness for much of last season.Related: CowboysSource: Pro Football Weekly Feb 26 - 8:49 AM

I'm trying to remember the last player the cowboys cut that I was sad to see go. This is proving quite difficult.

eta: was Matt Moore a cut, because at the time I thought it fairly foolish to let him go.

Another name to consider for Dallas' draft is Bruce Irvin from West Virginia. Ran a 4.43 at 245 lbs. He played the 5 technique for WVU and showed strong pass rush ability. It will be interesting to see his agility and acceleration tests. He could very well be Spencer's replacement/upgrade.

My top 5 that I like at 14:

-DeCastro

-Poe

-Kuechly

-Brockers

-Glenn

Hon. mention to Ingram.

My top 5 that I like at 14:-DeCastro-Poe-Kuechly-Brockers-GlennHon. mention to Ingram.

Dear god, Poe is a monster. I heard Billick compare him a day or two ago to Ngata. I though Billick went on the deep end of crazy there, but wholly crap. Poe's a physical beast. I wish DT were on our 1, 2, or 3 list of needs, but if DeCastro is gone, it's hard to not consider taking a disruptive/versatile beast like that.

My top 5 that I like at 14:-DeCastro-Poe-Kuechly-Brockers-GlennHon. mention to Ingram.

Dear god, Poe is a monster. I heard Billick compare him a day or two ago to Ngata. I though Billick went on the deep end of crazy there, but wholly crap. Poe's a physical beast. I wish DT were on our 1, 2, or 3 list of needs, but if DeCastro is gone, it's hard to not consider taking a disruptive/versatile beast like that.
Yup.Earler in the year I thought we would have to trade down to make a case to take this guy 24-30 range. Now, if he's there at 14 you take him. Iwouldnt even be that upset if we took him over DeCastro. Although, I have a slight preference for DeCastro and addressing the OLine.

I'm going to say No to Poe. His tape is aweful from everything I've read. He is such a high bust risk. Best case scenario is he's the next Ngata. Worst case is Dan wilkerson. No, give me the sure next Steve Hutchinson, please.

I think this draft needs to be about defense. We have a couple of young guys at G and C that played and need some time. The defense cost this team any chance at the playoffs, not the offense.

I understand the O line needs some love but the defense was a train wreck.

I'm going to say No to Poe. His tape is aweful from everything I've read. He is such a high bust risk. Best case scenario is he's the next Ngata. Worst case is Dan wilkerson. No, give me the sure next Steve Hutchinson, please.

I hear you. And, I will say that I am much more in favor of grabbing DeCastro, if available. And, honestly, I wouldn't be at all against taking Konz at that position...and he definitely should be available there.But, if DeCastro is already off the board (which is very likely), consideration of a dynamic player like Poe to beef up the interior D line would not be the worst choice. But, no doubt, he could wind up being a colossal waste, too. Hard to tell with these guys sometimes.

Who the 'boys franchising?

Spencer, almost assuredly. He won't sign a new deal before Monday, and everyone seems pretty clear that they don't want him hitting the market. So, 8.8 million to him, and then they'll work out a longer-term deal later this spring.

I hear you. And, I will say that I am much more in favor of grabbing DeCastro, if available. And, honestly, I wouldn't be at all against taking Konz at that position...and he definitely should be available there.But, if DeCastro is already off the board (which is very likely), consideration of a dynamic player like Poe to beef up the interior D line would not be the worst choice. But, no doubt, he could wind up being a colossal waste, too. Hard to tell with these guys sometimes.
I've watched some, albeit, a very small sample of Poe's play during a random game I found. -First and foremost he played on a god awful 2-10 team.-faced lots of shot gun and the QB was releasing in 2 to 2.5 seconds. Hard to fault a NT for not getting "there".-Was drawing double and on one play even a triple team.-He got a pressure.-Tackle for a loss.Overall-when putting it in context he looked pretty decent to me.Also, on DeCastro I'm coming to grips that as much as I think he is the best fit for our team at 14. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this prospect but he might not be the right pick.Would you rather go:PoeBen Jonesor DeCastroIrvinPoint being where is the depth in the draft? I think we can get a very solid guard or centre in the second. Not so sure about corner or a pass rusher.I am starting to get conflicted.

I dont care who we draft in the first round as long as we get a solid free agent veteran CB and bring back Elam. Can grab a second round guy for the DT spot. Try to keep Spencer.

I'm surprised there wasn't any celebrating that NO tagged Brees, allowing Nicks to hit FA....

:excited: Nicks hits the free agent market... wait...New Orleans has until March 16th to sign him....and now that they are probably losing their draft picks...they will have the money...

Spencer tagged, but hasnt signed it. We can rescind it as long as he doesnt sign it. SO this allows us to chase FAs and still not have to worry about his salary unless/until he signs it. And Spencer, who is seeking a long term deal, will almost certainly not sign it until late because if Dallas rescinds, he becomes a FA.

I'm beginning to think that the Boys go hard after a CB (high price) and a vet center (moderate price) in FA. Probably stay away from the major bucks of Mario or Nicks. That pushes the guard need to the draft where there is depth.

Obviously, time will tell though.