What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2012 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ariakis

Footballguy
First let me start by saying that Newman is showing up historically SMALL in this critical game. Ball is a huge goat. Pretty much everyone in the secondary has had atleast one lowlight, missed tackle, mistake, etc. Key missed tackles (and botched fumble recoveries) actually could have kept the Giants from scoring ANY points in the 1st half wow. This team plays dumb and lacks heart. Is that on the coach? Is blowing multiple double digit late leads on the coach?

At 8-8 after noshowing against the Giants and twice against the Eagles ... and MULTIPLE come from WAY ahead defeats ... this team will have a middling draft pick and miss the playoffs again.

Overhaul the 2ndary. Newman is either a cut or a reserve if cap allows for it. Need another safety obviously as well. This is a good use of 1st and 2nd round picks barring a major FA signing.

Upgrade the interior of the OL. Likely not necessary in the top 2 rounds.

I'm curious about Tanner ... was he really too hurt to come back? Bet we could have used him down the stretch over Morris once Murray got hurt. RB probably isn't a need though and neither is WR or TE or (probably) QB.

They do need an infusion of talent in their front 7 so that will challenge interior OL and DB's for draft needs.

Is Garrett one and done? Is Ryan? Someone may need to answer for the lack of discipline, heart, and football IQ this team displays at key moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me also mention the obvious ... Free and Smith switch OT positions. Actually ... TE may be a sneaky need .... Witten isn't getting any younger or more athletic.

I'd go defense with every pick in the draft. The running game was good when Murray was in and Romo has good passing #s. I think switching the tackles addresses the biggest need on the OL.

At 8-8 after noshowing against the Giants and twice against the Eagles ... and MULTIPLE come from WAY ahead defeats ... this team will have a middling draft pick and miss the playoffs again.
Some Browns experts commented on Ryan's work with the Cowboys, since he was DC here. They said Ryan burns out his defense with far too much blitzing, resulting in come-from-ahead defeats.

I'd go defense with every pick in the draft. The running game was good when Murray was in and Romo has good passing #s. I think switching the tackles addresses the biggest need on the OL.
This, a million times. We have shown an absolute lack of a pass rush the 2nd half of the season, which has exposed the horrible secondary for what it is...horrible. CB, Safety, and someone who can get to the QB not named Ware.And maybe someone who can help teach this team some ####### discipline because the amount of boneheaded plays is not only embarrassing, but mind-boggling.

I agree the defense is too complex for the Cowboys. I know some folks say we don't have the players, but, we're not going to have them next year either. Keep Ryan and simplify the defense. IF they could cover man to man, the blitz crazy Ryan would look good, but they can't cover.

Draft defense #1.Safety

Get some mean and nasty players. Cowboys are too often too nice. This is the NFL folks. Play some smashmouth ball please.

I agree the defense is too complex for the Cowboys. I know some folks say we don't have the players, but, we're not going to have them next year either. Keep Ryan and simplify the defense. IF they could cover man to man, the blitz crazy Ryan would look good, but they can't cover. Draft defense #1.Safety Get some mean and nasty players. Cowboys are too often too nice. This is the NFL folks. Play some smashmouth ball please.
Too bad the NFL doesn't allow smash mouth football

I agree the defense is too complex for the Cowboys. I know some folks say we don't have the players, but, we're not going to have them next year either. Keep Ryan and simplify the defense. IF they could cover man to man, the blitz crazy Ryan would look good, but they can't cover. Draft defense #1.Safety Get some mean and nasty players. Cowboys are too often too nice. This is the NFL folks. Play some smashmouth ball please.
Too bad the NFL doesn't allow smash mouth football
Tell that to the 49ers.

Worst season I remember as a 30+ year fan. Roller coaster tease ride from start to finish.

A few topics:

Garrett:

I am willing to give him 1 more year

However, he needs an OC (norv turner is fine with me)

Draft/Free Agents:

Center and a guard.

2 corners

1 safety

1 OLB to replace Spencer who will not be back.

Identity

Build around DeMarco Murray and a power run game.

Get some nasty on defense.

I'm ok with Ryan not returning.

Not returning:

Spencer- FA

Newman-shot and thrown from the plane ride home

Brooking-sent to retirement home

Bennett-Trade or cut

One of Sensy or Elam-Likely Sensy.

Defense:

I keep saying this but....get rid of the 3-4.

Ware is fine at DE, Rat would be a great gap penetrating DT.

We have servicable other DT's.

Lee plays MLB.

Special Teams

New coach.

This needs to be a focus

Why can we never field a decent ST unit.

Coaching

Campo-fired

Garrett-hired away

Ryan-tbd

Houck-Retires

I just want to see some nasty on defense and some identity on offense.

Pick 14 should land us a player.

I'm beginning to think that Sean Lee is the only winner on this team and I feel sorry for him that he's surrounded by a bunch of losers (including the coaching staff and G.M./owner) that don't have a killer instinct to get it done when it matters most.

I believe I saw 14 of the 16 games. Tough sledding.

The four SNF losses (I think I have that right) are inexcusable. Fixes:

(1) Cut Newman. He's done.

(2) First draft pick: best corner available. Start from day one.

(3) Second draft pick: best safety available. Move Sensabaugh to nickel or dime; he has to be better than Ball. Of course, the fact that he and should-be-on-the-street Scandrick are on five-year deals may make this impossible. In any event, a new rookie FS, please. I thought Elam was very good against the run, although he wasn't needed as much there because Lee was so good, and actually better than I expected in pass D.

(4) Of course, flip Free and Smith. No-brainer.

(5) Third draft pick: a center or a guard. Try to get them to beat out the current starters in camp.

(6) Either can Ryan and hire some up-and-comer or tell him to cut the defensive packages by 50% and stop blitzing incessantly.

(7) Play 4-3. Seeing the Dallas Cowboys play 3-4 is just wrong, and it's not as though the opponent doesn't usually force a de facto 4-3 (or a three-man rush with six DBs) anyway in close games. Use Ratliff in the gap.

(8) I don't really have too many offensive suggestions other than make sure Murray gets healthy and re-sign Robinson.

What a waste of a nice season by Romo.

Sigh. I'm glad I like the Packers and the Saints as well.

Glad to see people not all over Romo. He is not our big problem. Not that he doesn't need to do some things differently but he will give us at least 3 more years of pro bowl type years.

The receiving group is fine.

Build around Murray, sprinkle in Felix I'm fine with that.

I'd give 1 more year to Garrett. He needs to evaluate who stays and goes on the coaching staff. If he doesn't know who needs to go and stay after working with them for 1 year, then he's not our guy.

Newman is done for us. He'll land a job somewhere else but for the money we pay for him, he needs to go. You have to keep Jenkins, we need a pro bowl safety....BAD. It would be great to sifn a top corner or safety via FA.

I still think we need to keep building the Oline. A 2nd or 3rd rounder needs to be spent.

I'm also not against spending a 3rd round pick or later on a Qb they may like for the future. We have nothing for our future. I wouldn't take one just to do it, I mean really like a guy, if not then just keep drafting Dbs and Olinemen, Romo is good for a few more years.

I also need to mention pass rush. We need 1 more pass rusher. So either FA ir draft, we need help getting to the Qb. Last night it was so evident that we can't get to the Qb when we need to.

You can't win in this league against Rodgers, Brees, Brady unless you hit them over and over. Need 1 more .

Happy to see a little frustration and anger here. All in the spirit of being a good fan and assessing areas of need and what is flat out broken.

Too many needs to itemize here, but next year's roster has to look markedly different than this year's crew.

Garrett is fine. He made a few blunders this season but this was his 1st year as a full-time HC, so I will cut him a slight break. I still really think he will mold this team into a tough team with the right attitude...but it does take time.

* Draft picks need to be spent on defense. I would love to see one of the top CB's drafted. 1/2/3 rounds all dedicated to defense. This is our weak link on this team. Offense okay, just need some upgrade on interior Oline but I think that can be handled some in FA.

* Carl Nicks from NO is available at G. From the sounds of things NO can't afford to keep him. He's one of the top OG in the league. I'd like to see Dallas at least take a shot at him. Ben Grubbs is another pretty solid OG that is available, but I think BAL resigns him. Never know though.

* Laron Landry, Michael Griffin, Tyvon Branch all available at safety. Any of those 3 could start over what we have. Would absolutely love to steal Landry from Washington.

* Brent Grimes, Carlos Rogers, Cortland Finnegan at CB. Need to get either one of the Safeties above or a CB. If not I will be disappointed. Would love to have 2 players off of these 2 lists.

* FA's on the Dline we could go after are NT Antonio Garay from SD, DE Calais Campbell from AZ, or NT Sione Pouha from NYJ. I'd really like to get a big beefy NT and move Ratliff to DE.

* Get rid of Newman. Don't resign Brooking, Bradie James, Mary Bennett. Resign Spencer only at the right price, he's not that good but he's good enough at a decent price. He will probably get paid somewhere else though.

* Resign Laurent Robinson, hope he didnt earn himself a big payday as a starter somewhere. Abe Elam, Tony Fiammetta, and Mat McBriar also need resigned.

I'm not real sure what our cap looks like. Anyone have the early figures?

Fire Garrett, bring in Fisher. ASAP.

Agree with everything else though. Draft Line, Safety, then all D. Possible a returner to get Dez the hell off of specials.

Some Browns experts commented on Ryan's work with the Cowboys, since he was DC here. They said Ryan burns out his defense with far too much blitzing, resulting in come-from-ahead defeats.
There might be something to that, but Ryan didn't have any other choice here. If he doesn't blitz, our secondary gets picked apart by any average or better QB.

I'd love to see Cowher or Fisher considered and Jones giving up some/all GM control but that's not going to happen so we've got Red coming back I think. Probably giving Ryan another year.

I forgot to mention ... our special teams were HORRID at times. Too many blocks/near blocks and big returns.

The more I think about it ... picking in the top 15 ... you take the impact DL/pass rusher over a DB all things equal. This could be a stud OL spot which while not an absolute need might be tempting if Free or the rookie OL could kick in to guard or center.

Yesterday's loss and the season has been on mind all day.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Would absolutely love to steal Landry from Washington. :thumbup:

I agree here. I think he brings a tough attitude to the secondary that is lacking.

1. Dont fire Garrett. Not yet. He is a young coach and needs time to learn. I would love to see them bring in Sporano in his same role from the Parcells days. Assistant head coach and offensive assistant would be nice. I think he should be treated like a rookie. He needs time. I like a lot of what he did this year but there were some issues that could easily be fixed with a guy like Sporano there.

2. Dont fire Rob Ryan. Not yet. I have called him an over rated wind bag but get the guy some friggin players. Newman has to go. Spencer has done nothing. The DE suck. Teams are double teaming Rat and Ware because they can. The other guys suck. No pass rush puts way too much pressure on the CB, especially in RR's defense. I honestly dont want rookie CB or another safety. Bring in some veteran guys with some heart.

3. Build around Murray. Get better on the o-line. The center is awful. Just plain awful.

Scary thing to me is that I think Washington will be better next year. Philly started coming together on defense and their offense is explosive and the Giants are the Giants. This division is going to be stacked again.

I love all the Jeff Fisher love. Explain to me again exactly what Jeff Fisher has done? One trip to a super bowl? No thanks.

I expected this team to be between 8-8 and 10-6. I think this team SHOULD have won 11. The jets and Lions games were easily winnable and the Cardinals game should have been a walk in the park.

'STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
This is the typical spur of the moment decisions that Jerry Jones has made since he has been here. Dumb.And who is to say Fisher WANTS to come to Dallas and deal with a meddling GM/Owner that over rides the head coach? The Dallas job has gone from an elite position to the NFC East version of the Raiders. Totally unrealistic expectations without total control.

Fix the defense and this team can win. A pass rusher opposite Ware and a corner are priorities 1 and 2. If Mo Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fall to your pick he's it. There's a glutton of good but not great 3-4 pass rushers, one of them falls to your 2 I'm sure. Vinny Curry maybe? Safeties are often plentiful in the middle portions. Take the best available (Taylor from LSU? Lester from Bama?), free or strong, and hopefully knock Sensabaugh or Elam to 2nd team. Both are replaceable.

This team is close. If they improve the D and still fail I have to assume that's on Garrett and he's gone after 2012.

Fix the defense and this team can win. A pass rusher opposite Ware and a corner are priorities 1 and 2. If Mo Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fall to your pick he's it. There's a glutton of good but not great 3-4 pass rushers, one of them falls to your 2 I'm sure. Vinny Curry maybe? Safeties are often plentiful in the middle portions. Take the best available (Taylor from LSU? Lester from Bama?), free or strong, and hopefully knock Sensabaugh or Elam to 2nd team. Both are replaceable.This team is close. If they improve the D and still fail I have to assume that's on Garrett and he's gone after 2012.
Close? Seriously, you think this team is close? God, thank god. Because, I coulda sworn we had needs at DE, DT, LB x 2, CB x 4, Strong Safety, Free Safety, in addition to Center, Guard, and have Free and Tyron re-learn the opposite edges on the line.But, yeah. After watching this year, I can't see how anyone would think this team isn't built for a Super Bowl run...real close here.

Fix the defense and this team can win. A pass rusher opposite Ware and a corner are priorities 1 and 2. If Mo Claiborne or Kirkpatrick fall to your pick he's it. There's a glutton of good but not great 3-4 pass rushers, one of them falls to your 2 I'm sure. Vinny Curry maybe? Safeties are often plentiful in the middle portions. Take the best available (Taylor from LSU? Lester from Bama?), free or strong, and hopefully knock Sensabaugh or Elam to 2nd team. Both are replaceable.This team is close. If they improve the D and still fail I have to assume that's on Garrett and he's gone after 2012.
Close? Seriously, you think this team is close? God, thank god. Because, I coulda sworn we had needs at DE, DT, LB x 2, CB x 4, Strong Safety, Free Safety, in addition to Center, Guard. But, yeah. After watching this year, I can't see how anyone would think this team isn't built for a Super Bowl run...real close here.
Every team has holes. Dallas doesn't at important positions - QB, offensive play makers, pass rusher, MIKE LB, and after Free and Smith trade places the exterior of the line should be fine too.The run defense is fine and the young and inexperienced o line progressed a lot from week 1. Competition should be brought in at interior line and the middle of the defense, but you can win with the guys in place right now.Fix the secondary and get another pass rusher and this team can be lethal.

Close? Seriously, you think this team is close? God, thank god. Because, I coulda sworn we had needs at DE, DT, LB x 2, CB x 4, Strong Safety, Free Safety, in addition to Center, Guard. But, yeah. After watching this year, I can't see how anyone would think this team isn't built for a Super Bowl run...real close here.
Every team has holes. Dallas doesn't at important positions - QB, offensive play makers, pass rusher, MIKE LB, and after Free and Smith trade places the exterior of the line should be fine too.The run defense is fine and the young and inexperienced o line progressed a lot from week 1. Competition should be brought in at interior line and the middle of the defense, but you can win with the guys in place right now.Fix the secondary and get another pass rusher and this team can be lethal.
:doh: Every year the blind hope machine gets cranking in full gear. I just it would take a little longer for the amnesia to settle in. If you're trying to build a fantasy football team, I suppose Dallas has a decent pool of players from which to draft for your league.But, as a football team, I say this with all respect...there are many other important/critical positions that need years to fill before this is a legitimate playoff contender. No matter how much this year stung, it happened. And, it does us no good to plug our ears and close our eyes to the number of players inhabiting the talent cesspool in Arlington. This is going to be a long process to fix.

After reading some suggestions from people way more knowledgable than me, I agree that taking a safety in the second would be too high - - that's the spot for the impact interior OL (I assume there should be one hanging around in the mid-second). First pick still goes to a corner. Safety in the middle rounds is a great call; I also love the idea of bringing in Landry. Branch - - maybe. Didn't he take a step back this season? Granted I saw about 0.75 total Raider games, but I thought I remembered him struggling a bit. Michael Griffin would be okay, but doesn't thrill me; I need to take a look at his numbers.

Bringing in Brent Grimes is a great call. Carlos Rogers too. Finnegan, no, not in a million years. I detest that kid and the last thing we need is some bad apple to poison an area of the team that desperately needs rebuilding.

Good comment that the run defense is fine; it mostly is. The Jints didn't try to run much and when they did, Dallas got back in the game. That pass D must be fixed ASAP. Ware and the other DLs will look a lot better if they don't have to blitz on every down in the first half of each game to cover the yawning chasm in the secondary.

Is it an overreaction to say this team COULD have been a Superbowl contender THIS year with a few better breaks and decisions? Murray's injury was a killer and whatever the reason to not keep Tanner. Lee's injury mattered even though he played through it after only missing a bit of time he still could have been better. So many special teams gaffes cost us too. Even in this week's game if either of those first half fumbles goes our way the game takes a different outlook ... or if RR had just put Jenkins on Cruz since Nicks was dinged up.

Next year we'll have playmakers on both sides of the ball and another fairly high pick to add more of an influx of youth. I still say the move is a DL/pass rusher in the 1st unless there is an obvious BPA at DB/OL.

'STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
This is the typical spur of the moment decisions that Jerry Jones has made since he has been here. Dumb.And who is to say Fisher WANTS to come to Dallas and deal with a meddling GM/Owner that over rides the head coach? The Dallas job has gone from an elite position to the NFC East version of the Raiders. Totally unrealistic expectations without total control.
Pretty sure Fisher has been rumored to be but buds with Jerry for a LONG time. I like Fisher because he wont ice his own kicker. He took a small market team to the SB. His teams were competitive even though they never signed any quality FA's and even did well with Vince Young, who he never wanted. I understand your point, however he certainly has a better pedigree then Garrett.

For those hoping for a Free agent bonanza. Think AGAIN. We have close to 20 million in dead cap money on the books for the coming year.

Best case scenario is landing 1 solid (non top tier) free agent. Likely a guard or safety.

Then filling our other needs through the draft.

Is it an overreaction to say this team COULD have been a Superbowl contender THIS year with a few better breaks and decisions? Murray's injury was a killer and whatever the reason to not keep Tanner. Lee's injury mattered even though he played through it after only missing a bit of time he still could have been better. So many special teams gaffes cost us too. Even in this week's game if either of those first half fumbles goes our way the game takes a different outlook ... or if RR had just put Jenkins on Cruz since Nicks was dinged up.Next year we'll have playmakers on both sides of the ball and another fairly high pick to add more of an influx of youth. I still say the move is a DL/pass rusher in the 1st unless there is an obvious BPA at DB/OL.
Tanner was on IR.

'STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Pretty sure Fisher has been rumored to be but buds with Jerry for a LONG time. I like Fisher because he wont ice his own kicker. He took a small market team to the SB. His teams were competitive even though they never signed any quality FA's and even did well with Vince Young, who he never wanted. I understand your point, however he certainly has a better pedigree then Garrett.
First, Fisher didnt take a small market team anywhere. The Titans were the Oilers, from Houston, far from a small market team. Not to mention the owner was willing to spend money and Tennessee is a great football state. Not like it was the Jaguars. Second, Fisher had no pedigree to speak of when he became a coach. He wasnt some long tenured head coach with a great record. Give Garrett a chance to create some history. I will admit that Fisher's mustache puts most people's to shame though.

:doh: Every year the blind hope machine gets cranking in full gear. I just it would take a little longer for the amnesia to settle in. If you're trying to build a fantasy football team, I suppose Dallas has a decent pool of players from which to draft for your league.But, as a football team, I say this with all respect...there are many other important/critical positions that need years to fill before this is a legitimate playoff contender. No matter how much this year stung, it happened. And, it does us no good to plug our ears and close our eyes to the number of players inhabiting the talent cesspool in Arlington. This is going to be a long process to fix.
Yes but at the same time, it is easy to see how this team could have been 11-5 just as easily as 8-8. At least then there would be more optimism. The O-line has its flaws but this isnt the 80's where you can have 4 HOF o-linemen. There is a salary cap. I think Free and Smith switch sides and this line is better than average. I like the young guard that came in and out of the lineup, Kowalski, something with a ski. The offense is explosive and obviously missed Murray. When Murray was in there it was pretty unstoppable. Murray and Jones in the backfield, Dez, Robinson, and a healthy Miles Austin with Witten is pretty stout. With the exception of two games, I think Romo had one of his best seasons ever. The defense has flaws. Rob Ryan needs some veteran players. I dont even think they need to be HUGE names but what we have didnt work. Need at least one solid DE and a solid veteran CB. I am fine with Elam and Sensabaugh. Most of the times when there was an issue back there it was because of Newman, Ball and Scandrick getting torched. I think this team is two solid players and some health and depth away from being a 10-6/11-5 team next year. Improvement every year, that is all that can be expected. This team was one of the worst in football last season.

The way I see it today (and subject to change):

Dallas' 3 biggest needs, in no particular order, are interior OL, pass rush, and cover guys.

In looking at the draft, this is what I've learned so far: 1) There is significant quality of player depth available at CB and guard but much less so at pass rusher. All things being equal, this would imply taking a 1st round passrusher followed by CB and guard in rounds 2/3. Simple supply and demand. But all is not necissarily equal as an elite guard prospect, David DeCastro from Stanford, may very well be available to us at pick 14. Does the ability to take an elite prospect override what supply and demand says to do and take the passrusher? If one thinks long term, the answer is yes. If we're looking for next year only, the answer would be no.

I believe that I read that the contracts are up from Hudson Houck and Dave Campo, along with several other coaches. It may be time for a changing of the "guard" in the coaching ranks. Perhaps Sporano gets a 2nd stint as OL/OC/Assistant Head Coach. I do think Garrett gets at least a couple more years. And Ryan comes back if he doesnt get a head coaching job somewhere.

As BG mentioned, we have about 20 FA guys. Some of these include Brookings, James, Elam. Better hope that Bruce Carter is ready at ILB next year. Newman is obviously done and will be cut. Better hope Scandrick is ready for starter duty. We need at least 2 quality backups for depth and nickle situations. Need to resign Fiammetta and Robinson.

That's what I've got for now. More later as I think through things.

The way I see it today (and subject to change):Dallas' 3 biggest needs, in no particular order, are interior OL, pass rush, and cover guys. In looking at the draft, this is what I've learned so far: 1) There is significant quality of player depth available at CB and guard but much less so at pass rusher. All things being equal, this would imply taking a 1st round passrusher followed by CB and guard in rounds 2/3. Simple supply and demand. But all is not necissarily equal as an elite guard prospect, David DeCastro from Stanford, may very well be available to us at pick 14. Does the ability to take an elite prospect override what supply and demand says to do and take the passrusher? If one thinks long term, the answer is yes. If we're looking for next year only, the answer would be no.I believe that I read that the contracts are up from Hudson Houck and Dave Campo, along with several other coaches. It may be time for a changing of the "guard" in the coaching ranks. Perhaps Sporano gets a 2nd stint as OL/OC/Assistant Head Coach. I do think Garrett gets at least a couple more years. And Ryan comes back if he doesnt get a head coaching job somewhere.As BG mentioned, we have about 20 FA guys. Some of these include Brookings, James, Elam. Better hope that Bruce Carter is ready at ILB next year. Newman is obviously done and will be cut. Better hope Scandrick is ready for starter duty. We need at least 2 quality backups for depth and nickle situations. Need to resign Fiammetta and Robinson.That's what I've got for now. More later as I think through things.
Agree whole heartedly with the draft thoughts and retaining Fiametta and Robinson. Yes Houck is retiring, not sure but I think Campo is still under contract. He should be fired immediately as our secondary had only 9 picks this year.

One thing I really noticed in the last few games, when I have been so critical of Rob Ryan, is that the players were in the right place to make plays but didnt.

Ware runs right past the QB on the blitz way too many times each game.

The blitz is set up perfectly and the defender doesnt make the tackle. (This happened probably 10 times in the past three games)

The CB is in position to make the play and doesnt wrap up, gets hurdled over or just flat out cant make the play.

I honestly think that if Rob Ryan just had a couple of decent guys at CB to pair with a healthy Jenkins, and one SOLID pass rusher, this defense will improve.

I don't think Garrett or Ryan are the problems there. Garrett made a couple bone head calls on the field, but he's a rookie head coach, you kinda had to expect that. I gotta think he's learned a thing or two this year. I could certainly criticize Ryan for throwing so much at the defense on a shortened year. He should have dumbed it down IMO, but I don't think there is any real problem with his scheme. After a full year and a proper off season, I think you'd see dramatic improvement. That said, like others have noted, the secondary needs help. IMO thats where they need to spend their free agent money. Sure, if you have a good DB fall to you in the draft you take him, but IMO they need a couple of good solid veterans to plug in there from day one that won't have a learning curve. You just can't run a pressure defense without a solid secondary that knows where they are suppose to be and can actually make a play for you. That would allow them to concentrate on the offensive and defensive line early in the draft, which is where I think they could really strengthen the team.

I don't think Garrett or Ryan are the problems there. Garrett made a couple bone head calls on the field, but he's a rookie head coach, you kinda had to expect that. I gotta think he's learned a thing or two this year. I could certainly criticize Ryan for throwing so much at the defense on a shortened year. He should have dumbed it down IMO, but I don't think there is any real problem with his scheme. After a full year and a proper off season, I think you'd see dramatic improvement. That said, like others have noted, the secondary needs help. IMO thats where they need to spend their free agent money. Sure, if you have a good DB fall to you in the draft you take him, but IMO they need a couple of good solid veterans to plug in there from day one that won't have a learning curve. You just can't run a pressure defense without a solid secondary that knows where they are suppose to be and can actually make a play for you. That would allow them to concentrate on the offensive and defensive line early in the draft, which is where I think they could really strengthen the team.
Jimmy went 1-5 in his first year.Yeah, Garrett crapped the bed at times, but lets see if he can learn, adapt and move forward.I like a lot of what he's done, still LOTS to be done.

I think you keep Garrett one more year just because, as others have pointed out, changing coaches every year, and implementing new systems makes it

hard to ever build a consistently winning team. However, for me, there are two red flags for Garrett:

-going 0'fer against the Giants and Eagles. I think coaching matters a lot more in divisional games because you play the other teams twice a year and have so much more familiarity with these teams. It can easily be argued that these three teams had about the equivalent amount of talent based on their overall records and looking at their players. Since the talent is equivalent and the teams are familiar with each other I think the difference comes down to motivation (which the coach is responsible for), schemes (which the Coach is responsible for), and execution (which the players are responsible for). The Cowboys going 0-4 against the Eagles and Giants may indicate that Garrett failed in either motivating his team or Scheming for the games. Neither or these is good in the long-term, as divisional games are so important in making the playoffs.

-His demeanor on the sideline. I hate coaches who scream all the time and get on the Refs and players incessantly (Cowher and Gruden are prime examples). After awhile, people just tune those people out. However, I think you have to have some interaction and communication with your players and coaches during the game, especially when things are not going well. Everytime they showed Garrett on Sunday night he seemed to just stare straight ahead and did not seem to be engaged in the game at all. I understand he may not be that way all the time, but come on, if you are not going to get fired up during the last game of the season when your season is on the line, how do you expect your players to get fired up? It just amazed me that there seemed to be such little emotion and interaction with his players when things weren't going well.

If you add to that some of the coaching gaffes he made during the year that cost Cowboys games (being too aggressive with the pass offense with a big lead against Detroit, being to conservative with the lead against the Patriots, Not trying to gain more yardage and icing his own kicker against the Giants in game one) he may not be the Cowboys long-term answer. We will see if his Ivy league education will help him learn and adjust some things in the off-season.

I'll remember this season as the season where I went from rooting for the cowboys to victory, to enjoying seeing them fail.

You guys thinking there will be some massive changes are kidding yourselves. Jerry has crippled the ability for the team to sign any free agents that will make even a tiny impact. They were fortunate the schedule was so weak. If it wasn't for the fluke win in SF early in the season this thing would have had 0 wins over a .500+ team.

The talent level is so low in so many areas and the cap space so bad a 1-15 season is much closer than the playoffs.

Of all the memories I will take away from the season my fondest will be every shotgun snap being a circus freak show. I hope someone puts a youtube together of the dozens and dozens of bad snaps.

Is it an overreaction to say this team COULD have been a Superbowl contender THIS year with a few better breaks and decisions? Murray's injury was a killer and whatever the reason to not keep Tanner. Lee's injury mattered even though he played through it after only missing a bit of time he still could have been better. So many special teams gaffes cost us too. Even in this week's game if either of those first half fumbles goes our way the game takes a different outlook ... or if RR had just put Jenkins on Cruz since Nicks was dinged up.Next year we'll have playmakers on both sides of the ball and another fairly high pick to add more of an influx of youth. I still say the move is a DL/pass rusher in the 1st unless there is an obvious BPA at DB/OL.
Tanner was on IR.
I know but wasn't it just a hamstring? I suspect they tried to protect him and clear a roster spot and just as soon as they did that Murray got hurt. Tanner could have had a chance to shine unless his injury really WAS serious.

I'll remember this season as the season where I went from rooting for the cowboys to victory, to enjoying seeing them fail. You guys thinking there will be some massive changes are kidding yourselves. Jerry has crippled the ability for the team to sign any free agents that will make even a tiny impact. They were fortunate the schedule was so weak. If it wasn't for the fluke win in SF early in the season this thing would have had 0 wins over a .500+ team. The talent level is so low in so many areas and the cap space so bad a 1-15 season is much closer than the playoffs. Of all the memories I will take away from the season my fondest will be every shotgun snap being a circus freak show. I hope someone puts a youtube together of the dozens and dozens of bad snaps.
:goodposting: Although, I would disagree the SF win was a fluke. Say what you will about Romo (and I have a quite a few quibbles, myself), but that was about as gutty a performance as you'll see. He willed that team to a win. Plus, I think SF was pretty good this year, but hadn't quite gelled that early in the season. We earned that road win over a decent team.Other than that, I'm on your side and will vehemently argue with anyone who thinks we have an elite team and only need a couple pieces here/there. We're not in firesale mode. Skill positions are in good shape. But, I would hope most cowboy fans here recognize the critical importance of talent at the other positions. Interior line on both sides of the ball, LB play, and secondary need drastic improvement. This is a few years of work ahead of us. We are not playing for a Super Bowl next year, that's for sure.

Random observation of the day:

NFL Network commercial shows random on field players talking.

They show the Cowboys and I believe it's Marcus Spears talking.

In his pumped up voice he says "THEY DON'T WANT IT".

Many are probably saying yeah so what BG?

To me, it shows that our heads and mindset is not right going into games.

He should be yelling "I want it", or "do you want it"? Not trying to convince the rest of his mates the other team isn't coming to play.

Obviously its just a clip and its days after our season ended, but it bugged me.

Toughest season to endure in my history of fandom (est 1992). This team is such an enigma you could certainly make the argument that this team nearly went 11-5 or 7-9 and as pointed out earlier only 1 win vs .500 teams. On the other hand they were in every game to the bitter end sans Philly.

The three biggest needs going forward IMO are guard, OLB, and CB. Order of these needs is debatable but my vote goes toward CB. With that being said there is alot of positives such as the acquisitions/drafting of players Fiametta, L. Robinson, D. Murray, Dan Bailey, T. Smith, and minor contributions from Nagy, Kowalski, and Arkin. These guy were key contributers and let Dallas rid itself of older players such as Gurode, Olshansky, etc. This youth theme will continue with replacing veterans such as Brooking, Newman, possibly James.

In an interview Jerry said Ryan will be back unless he gets HC gig. I love this and in my mind the talk of replacing Garrett is assanine. It was his first full year with a flawed and old roster. Can only replace so many positions each year. I am excited to see a full off season with another off season of upgrades. If they have a similiar success rate as last year they will be a force.

I still dont agree that all is lost in Dallas. This team has some solid young pieces in place and could be a playoff contender as early as next year. I think the Cowboys had a pretty decent draft, all things considered. Love Smith. Love Murray. Have some decent young pieces in place. One DE and one CB and this team could be so much better.

Anyone that was here predicting the Cowboys were a super bowl team was off their rocker. There are changes that have to be made, we missed an entire off season, and we basically have two new coaches. It will take at least one more draft and at least one off season to implement the things that need to be implemented. I am excited to see what Rob Ryan can do with a full off season and more than likely a little more input on the draft. I am just hoping he doesnt get the damn Jags job.

The Giants, Eagles and Redskins basically had the same management coming in and the same system.

I still dont agree that all is lost in Dallas. This team has some solid young pieces in place and could be a playoff contender as early as next year. I think the Cowboys had a pretty decent draft, all things considered. Love Smith. Love Murray. Have some decent young pieces in place. One DE and one CB and this team could be so much better. Anyone that was here predicting the Cowboys were a super bowl team was off their rocker. There are changes that have to be made, we missed an entire off season, and we basically have two new coaches. It will take at least one more draft and at least one off season to implement the things that need to be implemented. I am excited to see what Rob Ryan can do with a full off season and more than likely a little more input on the draft. I am just hoping he doesnt get the damn Jags job. The Giants, Eagles and Redskins basically had the same management coming in and the same system.
The Eagles Had the same head coach and OC but had a new Oline coach with a new blocking scheme and two rookie starters, Had a new DC with a new scheme, and had a significant number of new starters on defense to assimilate (Aso, Babin, Jenkins, Matthews). This, along with the ill-conceived idea to move the Oline coach to DC, are the main reasons the Eagles struggled this year.The interesting thing for next year in the NFC East is probably all four coaches are playing for their jobs. Whoever finishes last in the division is likely to get fired. The only one who could possibly get a pass is Coughlin, but I think Shanahan has to show improvement, Reid cannot miss the playoffs two years in a row, and I don't think Jones will have patience with Garrett if he regressed and had a losing season next year.

Users who are viewing this thread