What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (1 Viewer)

snellman

Footballguy
Let's get last year out of our minds ASAP and start looking forward to next year (the way I see it they are 0-0 right now :football: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Skol!

Order of business:

1) Get the stadium thing sorted out

2) Hire a new Defensive Coordinator

3) Trade out of that #3 spot

Skol!Order of business:1) Get the stadium thing sorted out2) Hire a new Defensive Coordinator3) Trade out of that #3 spot
:goodposting: Allen was making a pretty good pitch for the D-coord today though. He said he would play for him anywhere.They definitely need to get out of the #3 spot if possible and hopefully get a killing of picks for it. There are way too many holes on this team to stay in that spot IMO.I know it is early, but if they can't get out of the #3 who do you take in that spot? Do you go T, CB or WR depending on who is available?

What about Steve Spagnuolo for DC? He might be a better DC than coach. Wouldn't be first time ie Greg Williams.

It could be beneficial for the Vikings having Cleveland at #4. A Team or two might be wanting to move up to get RG3 ahead of the Browns.

What about Steve Spagnuolo for DC? He might be a better DC than coach. Wouldn't be first time ie Greg Williams. It could be beneficial for the Vikings having Cleveland at #4. A Team or two might be wanting to move up to get RG3 ahead of the Browns.
It was reported over a week ago he would be Eagles DC next yer

Do you think Cleveland would give up their second pick in the 1st round to move up 1 spot and make sure they get RG3? They are desperate for a star and RG3 is a star. Washington and Miami I think will be on the phone with the Vikings alot trying to get to #3 but to get another 1st Round Pick to just move down 1 spot and still get either Blackmon or Claiborne I think is the move for the Vikes. I remember a couple years ago Cleveland I believe traded a 1st round pick the next year to move up 1 spot with Detroit to take Kellen Winslow.

Do you think Cleveland would give up their second pick in the 1st round to move up 1 spot and make sure they get RG3? They are desperate for a star and RG3 is a star. Washington and Miami I think will be on the phone with the Vikings alot trying to get to #3 but to get another 1st Round Pick to just move down 1 spot and still get either Blackmon or Claiborne I think is the move for the Vikes. I remember a couple years ago Cleveland I believe traded a 1st round pick the next year to move up 1 spot with Detroit to take Kellen Winslow.
Rumors out of Cleveland are saying Luck would be their guy if they were going QB and that they're not too enamored with Griffin III. That said, it may be impossible to trade up to get Luck so I guess it all depends on how Colt McCoy grades out in post-season analysis. As a Browns fan, it baffles me that they are shrugging off Griffin III but just sharing what I have been seeing and hearing.So I guess you're all satisfied with Ponder as your guy?

Rumors out of Cleveland are saying Luck would be their guy if they were going QB and that they're not too enamored with Griffin III. That said, it may be impossible to trade up to get Luck so I guess it all depends on how Colt McCoy grades out in post-season analysis. As a Browns fan, it baffles me that they are shrugging off Griffin III but just sharing what I have been seeing and hearing.So I guess you're all satisfied with Ponder as your guy?
Satisfied enough to not scramble to draft aQB or give up a bunch to trade for one. Not thrilled, but hopeful I guess.

I think Ponder is solid and I would have liked to see him sit for a year though but with a full offseason of OTA's and film work he will continually improve into a good QB. I think the reports out of Cleveland about not liking RG3 is the start of a huge smokescreen. They are in no way going to let on that they covet him in the hopes of not having to trade up. RG3 is a physical specimen and when he works out for the scouts there will be a massive drool pool. Blackmon is putting on a show tonight in the first half. Would love to see him in purple! Blackmon/Harvin/AP/Rudolph/ with Gerhart taking some load off AP this year looks to be a really nice start to a really good offense in the near future. Now we just need some blocking and defensive secondary to go with them.....lol.

Heckert loves his draft picks. I could see them kick the tires on trading up for Luck, although if Manning is no longe ra Colt come April that is moot, but I see them going bpa at #4. Whether that's RG3,Blackmon, or Richardson I don't know but I promise they aren't leaving the top 4 without a play maker on offense.

I think we should keep pick and take kalil or best DB
Rams will have their choice of Blackmon (since he declared tonight) or Kalil and the Vikings could take whoever is left. If the Vikings are still committed to the cover 2, I doubt they use the #3 on a DB.

#1 - Hire a head of football operations.
I have been hearing this a lot. What is your opinion if they make Spielman the "head of football operations"? They have the whole "triangle" right now, but I seems like Spielman is the top of that triangle. I think the main reason most people want a GM is because they want someone to blame when things go bad and right now they don't know who to blame.

Here are the Vikings opponents next year thanks to Mike Wobschall over at vikings.com

HomeDivision: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay PackersNFC West: Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ersAFC South: Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee TitansNFC 4th Place: Tampa Bay BuccaneersAwayDivision: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay PackersNFC West: Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis RamsAFC South: Houston Texans, Indianapolis ColtsNFC 4th Place: Washington Redskins

I have been hearing this a lot. What is your opinion if they make Spielman the "head of football operations"? They have the whole "triangle" right now, but I seems like Spielman is the top of that triangle. I think the main reason most people want a GM is because they want someone to blame when things go bad and right now they don't know who to blame.
How about can spielman And bring in the Polians? Please

I think we should keep pick and take kalil or best DB
Rams will have their choice of Blackmon (since he declared tonight) or Kalil and the Vikings could take whoever is left. If the Vikings are still committed to the cover 2, I doubt they use the #3 on a DB.
I think you guys have it right here. All three positions should be in the mix.One guy I'd give strong consideration to is Dre Kirkpatrick. I know Morris Claiborne is more highly rated, but Kirkpatrick is 6'3" and would match up better against the Calvin Johnson and Greg Jennings types than the 6'0" Claiborne.My choice, if they stay at #3, has always been Kalil if available.

No, I'm not talking about merely a promotion for an existing person like Spielman. They need a proven football guy who has had sucess building a team and can trusted to be accountable for decisions. I think Spielman is a solid personel guy but he's not the guy I would want as head of football operations.

Yup. Well, hopefully having a sole decision maker will be an improvement.
He has done well with 1st round picks. Allen (via trade) AD, Harvin, Greenway, Ponder (jury is still out). Where they need to do a better job is in the mid rounds as evidenced by the lack of depth. We will see if he is the sole decision maker or not. I think this was more of a response to fans wanting someone to praise or blame at the top.

What about Steve Spagnuolo for DC? He might be a better DC than coach. Wouldn't be first time ie Greg Williams.

It could be beneficial for the Vikings having Cleveland at #4. A Team or two might be wanting to move up to get RG3 ahead of the Browns.
It was reported over a week ago he would be Eagles DC next yer
How about Raheem Morris
Did you see how his defense did this year? If I ran an NFL team, Raheem Morris couldn't pay me enough to coach any part of my team after how pathetic the Bucs played this year. That was after using a lot of draft picks on defense as well.I agree with the posters that aren't thrilled they kept Spielman and promoted him to GM. Seems like another cheap ### move like hiring Frazier was. Hopefully we can get rid of all that dead weight before ADP's career is over and get him another serious shot at the post season. It makes no sense to me why Wylf spends on players but is so damn cheap when it comes to the front office and coaching staff.

Edit: Go check out the thread on Raheem Morris by the way, that's where we'll be in a few years once the rest of the fans realize Frazier is part of the problem.

Yup. Well, hopefully having a sole decision maker will be an improvement.
He has done well with 1st round picks. Allen (via trade) AD, Harvin, Greenway, Ponder (jury is still out). Where they need to do a better job is in the mid rounds as evidenced by the lack of depth. We will see if he is the sole decision maker or not. I think this was more of a response to fans wanting someone to praise or blame at the top.
Maybe. I think a lot of it resulted from the McNabb debacle. Keep the coach from being able to make personel decisions.

Yeah, having a GM is the right move but hiring Spielman to fill the position is not.

The building for the short term that the Wilf's and Childress did/are doing is going to doom this franchise to a decade of mediocrity.

Who knew we'd pine for the days of Red McCombs?

"Purple prahhhhddd!"

Vikings need to:

a. draft Kalil, one of the best tackles ever

b. sign one of these free agent WR's for starters:

Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Marquest Colston or bad boy DeSean Jackson

Follow the Packer blue print all offense with limited D

Vikings need to:a. draft Kalil, one of the best tackles ever b. sign one of these free agent WR's for starters: Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Marquest Colston or bad boy DeSean Jackson Follow the Packer blue print all offense with limited D
Spoken like a true Viking fan.Wait, you claim in every Packer thread you are a true Packer fan now. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Please stop with the charade now.

Vikings need to:a. draft Kalil, one of the best tackles ever b. sign one of these free agent WR's for starters: Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Marquest Colston or bad boy DeSean Jackson Follow the Packer blue print all offense with limited D
Spoken like a true Viking fan.Wait, you claim in every Packer thread you are a true Packer fan now. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Please stop with the charade now.
Stay out of our thread, chump!

I'd like to see us get Blackmon. Take the best tackle available in the 2nd. All defense after that.

Harvin/Blackmon/Rudolph/ADP and Ponder with full training camp and offseason to prep. :thumbup:

The building for the short term that the Wilf's and Childress did/are doing is going to doom this franchise to a decade of mediocrity.
I cant agree with this. Chilly is not a good coach, but the personel that we got for our 2009 run, got us a coin flip away from the SB. Had we won the SB, Im still in euphoria to this day. Play for now every year IMO.

I'd like to see us get Blackmon. Take the best tackle available in the 2nd. All defense after that. Harvin/Blackmon/Rudolph/ADP and Ponder with full training camp and offseason to prep. :thumbup:
I'm torn. Blackmon would be great but if Kalil is the next Jake Long he'd be tough to pass up.

i always imagine people in the twin cities are all named ole and sven and walk around shouting skol a lot sort of like those odoyle rules ! guys in billy madison and then eventually they all drive off of a cliff shouting skol !

'ArcticEdge said:
I cant agree with this. Chilly is not a good coach, but the personel that we got for our 2009 run, got us a coin flip away from the SB. Had we won the SB, Im still in euphoria to this day. Play for now every year IMO.
You're a weird cat, AE.

'FunkyPlutos said:
Kalil in the first and Kendall Wright in the second would be a nice start...
I like Wright, but they already have Harvin. They need a different type of WR to better complement him.

'FunkyPlutos said:
I like Wright, but they already have Harvin. They need a different type of WR to better complement him.
That was my thinking.
Ponder receive assurance that Vikings won't draft QB

In other news Iowa's junior offensive tackle Rilly Rieff will be declaring for the draft. He is projected to go in the top 10. It might be significant since the Vikings could trade down slightly and still get a blue chip tackle or CB.
Reiff will likely be the #2 tackle off the board. Jonathan Martin is apparently more the zone blocking type.

'FunkyPlutos said:
I think they are both "shorter" receivers but I see Wright as more of a "stretch the field" type that they need. I would rather have someone like Floyd, but don't think he will be there in the 2nd...of course if they can address WR in free agency it may not be that big of a worry.

I remember Aromashodu was Cutlers favorite target in Chi then he wasn't a 'Martz' receiver. Could he, Harvin, and Jenkins be enough?

'ArcticEdge said:
You're a weird cat, AE.
Why? I just want one SB, just one. More for my Dad than me who turns 64 next month. One of the saddest things I have ever seen is my Dad leaving my place with my Mom right after we lost the coin flip to the Saints. OT hadnt even started and my Dad said he couldnt watch, picked up their two little dogs, put his head down and left. I said, "Dad, we might stop them..." He said, "it's over". :no:

From FBG News blog: (also saw it on twitter)

Vikings | Will meet with Raheem MorrisThe Minnesota Vikings will interview former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris for an unidentified defensive coaching position.
:unsure: Not real sure how I feel about this

I think its pretty simple what the Vikings should do. If Kalil grades out as an elite LT, you take him is the Rams do not. If the Rams do take him, hopefully someone thinks Griffin is their next franchise QB and gives us a great deal to move down.

Dream offseason is, Kalil is the next Joe Thomas/Jake Long and we take him.

Fill out the rest of the offensive line and DBs through FA/rest of the draft.

Get a big time WR like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe.

Easier said than done, but hopefully it works out for us.

Users who are viewing this thread