What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

'Polish Hammer said:
First we lose G-King's inside track, now DH is on the fast train outta here. Sad day.So if your buddy goes are there some great stories you can then reveal to us?
It's not 100% as he and Reid have a very good relationship. I talked to him last night and he said that he'd stay if 'allowed' (he loves the area and he just bought a new house). He's certain that he'll have a job in Indy if it comes to that (not that anyone has talked to him about it :unsure: ;) ).Anyway, to answer your question, I have a few stories I could give you. Nothing earth-shattering, but just some draft stuff and some near misses in acquiring players. Most I've probably already told since I'm pretty open about things, but maybe not.

'Polish Hammer said:
First we lose G-King's inside track, now DH is on the fast train outta here. Sad day.So if your buddy goes are there some great stories you can then reveal to us?
It's not 100% as he and Reid have a very good relationship. I talked to him last night and he said that he'd stay if 'allowed' (he loves the area and he just bought a new house). He's certain that he'll have a job in Indy if it comes to that (not that anyone has talked to him about it :unsure: ;) ).Anyway, to answer your question, I have a few stories I could give you. Nothing earth-shattering, but just some draft stuff and some near misses in acquiring players. Most I've probably already told since I'm pretty open about things, but maybe not.
Reid wanted Sproles badly from what I heard. Boy did Darren choose wisely or what.

First we lose G-King's inside track, now DH is on the fast train outta here. Sad day.

So if your buddy goes are there some great stories you can then reveal to us?
please share!

Reid wanted Sproles badly from what I heard. Boy did Darren choose wisely or what.
But we got Ronnie Brown!!! :bag: :hot: :rant:

I guess Spags is a no go?
Just speculating here, but I wonder if Spags feels he's better served taking a year off and broadcasting as a better way to leverage back into the head coaching mix. There's also the possibility he wants to head back to the Giants, but then again with the run they're on, I can't see it being in any capacity other than Assistant Head Coach without getting the DC responsibilities.

G Cobb gave a damning scenario on WIP this morning that is very likely to play out. He says, knowing the Eagles, they will bring Juan back for another season with all the excuses of a short offseason and improvement down the stretch. He didn't think Spags would be coming here in any capacity.

'Insein said:
G Cobb gave a damning scenario on WIP this morning that is very likely to play out. He says, knowing the Eagles, they will bring Juan back for another season with all the excuses of a short offseason and improvement down the stretch. He didn't think Spags would be coming here in any capacity.
I usually think that GCobb just blows hot air but I have to agree with this. Could very easily see this happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there really any question that Castillo is staying as DC?

By now we would've heard something, no? Otherwise the team is doing itself a disservice by waiting this long, unless the change is coming from within.

Is there really any question that Castillo is staying as DC?By now we would've heard something, no? Otherwise the team is doing itself a disservice by waiting this long, unless the change is coming from within.
More than likely correct. I feel 2012 is going to be another lost season either way. First way is we let Andy have his year with his boy Juan at DC to prove that 2011 was a fluke. They crash and burn and we get a new regime in 2013. The 2nd way is if Andy musters up enough to get a 10-6 or 11-5 year and win one home playoff game before losing in the divisional round. then we'll have andy for at least another 3 seasons because "he showed he can turn it around." There's really only 2 things to hope for. Eagles have a miraclous run to the title, or they crash and burn leaving lurie with no choice but to clean house of Andy, coaching staff and Vick. Start fresh with a new coach and new ideas.

Is there really any question that Castillo is staying as DC?By now we would've heard something, no? Otherwise the team is doing itself a disservice by waiting this long, unless the change is coming from within.
More than likely correct. I feel 2012 is going to be another lost season either way. First way is we let Andy have his year with his boy Juan at DC to prove that 2011 was a fluke. They crash and burn and we get a new regime in 2013. The 2nd way is if Andy musters up enough to get a 10-6 or 11-5 year and win one home playoff game before losing in the divisional round. then we'll have andy for at least another 3 seasons because "he showed he can turn it around." There's really only 2 things to hope for. Eagles have a miraclous run to the title, or they crash and burn leaving lurie with no choice but to clean house of Andy, coaching staff and Vick. Start fresh with a new coach and new ideas.
Why would a run at the title be "miraculous?"They're be one of the four or five favorites in the NFC entering the season, even if they stand pat. I'm not saying I have confidence it'll happen (I've been sitting in the stands at home games for far too long to not believe in the worst), but realistically this isn't a team that's not going to be expected to win a lot of games in most scenarios.

By now we would've heard something, no? Otherwise the team is doing itself a disservice by waiting this long, unless the change is coming from within.
Why would a run at the title be "miraculous?"They're be one of the four or five favorites in the NFC entering the season, even if they stand pat. I'm not saying I have confidence it'll happen (I've been sitting in the stands at home games for far too long to not believe in the worst), but realistically this isn't a team that's not going to be expected to win a lot of games in most scenarios.
If they stand pat, I see the NFC entering 2012 as:SF/GB/NYG/NO as the elite

Phil/Atl/Dal/Det as the next tier

Ari/Sea/Chi not far behind

Best case, they are 5th entering 2012 and that's just the NFC. They are still behind NE/Pit/Balt in the AFC (remember, winning the Super Bowl is the goal) and you can even make an argument for Cin & Hou being ahead. So I'd put them at best 9th in the NFL.

So I agree, "miraculous" is a bit overstating it. But they would not be entering 2012 as an elite odds-on favorite imo. No one would be surprised to see them regress further any more as see them improve. The 4-game win streak to end the season was nice, but NE/GB/NO would have still shredded Juan's defense in those games.

Best case, they are 5th entering 2012 and that's just the NFC. They are still behind NE/Pit/Balt in the AFC (remember, winning the Super Bowl is the goal) and you can even make an argument for Cin & Hou being ahead. So I'd put them at best 9th in the NFL.

So I agree, "miraculous" is a bit overstating it. But they would not be entering 2012 as an elite odds-on favorite imo. No one would be surprised to see them regress further any more as see them improve. The 4-game win streak to end the season was nice, but NE/GB/NO would have still shredded Juan's defense in those games.
Sure, I agree they won't nor should be a preseason favorite. But that's not what I was taking issue with, I was remarking about the "miraculous" comment. I will never understand how someone can be a fan of a team and feel that lost going into a season. It's one thing if the team had had 1 or 2 wins for years straight, had an ownership that didn't invest in the team, and had a bad lease and dwindling revenue. But this is a team that as a baseline contends for a playoff spot and division, and our collective frustration is in not doing more and actually winning a championship. Being upset that this current incarnation hasn't won the big game is MUCH different than saying it'll be another "lost" season and we would need a miracle to make a title run.We don't have to look very far back to see a litany of NFL teams that weren't the best and had tangible flaws but ended up winning the Super Bowl. It would be miraculous if the Browns or Rams won a title next year. It would be pleasantly surprising if the Eagles did the same.

Sure, I agree they won't nor should be a preseason favorite. But that's not what I was taking issue with, I was remarking about the "miraculous" comment. I will never understand how someone can be a fan of a team and feel that lost going into a season. It's one thing if the team had had 1 or 2 wins for years straight, had an ownership that didn't invest in the team, and had a bad lease and dwindling revenue. But this is a team that as a baseline contends for a playoff spot and division, and our collective frustration is in not doing more and actually winning a championship. Being upset that this current incarnation hasn't won the big game is MUCH different than saying it'll be another "lost" season and we would need a miracle to make a title run.We don't have to look very far back to see a litany of NFL teams that weren't the best and had tangible flaws but ended up winning the Super Bowl. It would be miraculous if the Browns or Rams won a title next year. It would be pleasantly surprising if the Eagles did the same.
Jason, I appreciate your insight and knowledge on the team but I feel sometimes your vision is a little too green. What have they done in the last 7 years to show you that they have recognized what it takes to get to a super bowl and have taken the necessary steps to do so? Yes they got a lot of high priced talent last year but they left the areas of perrenial weakness (safety and LB) alone. They compounded the problem by throwing a rookie defensive coach into the role of DC and just hoping he would be able to wing it enough to get them to the Super Bowl. Obviously we have the draft and FA to see what the Eagles plan to do but I have very little confidence that they have an effective plan to get to the ultimate goal. Typically a title run has a growth or building towards something. Occasionally a team can go from worst to first and come out of no where. Usually though you see a team build for a few years and get better each year before finally pushing through. That is why I feel that any title run they have would be miraculous since we have seen no "build up" on the eagles for many years now. We have draft picks that occasionally hit. We have a good year, then a bad year. We have the surprise deep playoff run for a 9-6-1 team followed by the dissappointing first round exit of the 11-5 team the next year. Its completely inconsistent.

Jason, I appreciate your insight and knowledge on the team but I feel sometimes your vision is a little too green. What have they done in the last 7 years to show you that they have recognized what it takes to get to a super bowl and have taken the necessary steps to do so? Yes they got a lot of high priced talent last year but they left the areas of perrenial weakness (safety and LB) alone. They compounded the problem by throwing a rookie defensive coach into the role of DC and just hoping he would be able to wing it enough to get them to the Super Bowl. Obviously we have the draft and FA to see what the Eagles plan to do but I have very little confidence that they have an effective plan to get to the ultimate goal. Typically a title run has a growth or building towards something. Occasionally a team can go from worst to first and come out of no where. Usually though you see a team build for a few years and get better each year before finally pushing through. That is why I feel that any title run they have would be miraculous since we have seen no "build up" on the eagles for many years now. We have draft picks that occasionally hit. We have a good year, then a bad year. We have the surprise deep playoff run for a 9-6-1 team followed by the dissappointing first round exit of the 11-5 team the next year. Its completely inconsistent.
I appreciate that. I just think what you're describing is a far cry from saying a Super Bowl win would be "miraculous." To me that word implies something that's almost inconceivable and generally considered impossible by the vast majority of people. The Eagles will certainly not enter next season that way. I'm not sure many NFL teams' chances should ever be labeled "miraculous" but even if a few deserve that kind of extreme skepticism, Philly wouldn't fit into that short list.Now do I think they will get there? No, probably not. I'm more concerned about Vick than I am Reid frankly, and I'm no fan of Castillo that's for sure.

I appreciate that. I just think what you're describing is a far cry from saying a Super Bowl win would be "miraculous." To me that word implies something that's almost inconceivable and generally considered impossible by the vast majority of people. The Eagles will certainly not enter next season that way. I'm not sure many NFL teams' chances should ever be labeled "miraculous" but even if a few deserve that kind of extreme skepticism, Philly wouldn't fit into that short list.Now do I think they will get there? No, probably not. I'm more concerned about Vick than I am Reid frankly, and I'm no fan of Castillo that's for sure.
Perhaps miraculous is just too heavy on the hyperbole then. I'm merely implying that for the Eagles to win the super bowl next year would be a large surprise by the majority of people. I think that it would be highly unlikely that the Eagles would be able to pull that off. While I know the NFL is any given sunday anymore and even a team like the Rams or the Browns technically have a shot to turn it around, I think the consensus would say that teams like that would be a mircale to win. Eagles are stuck in the mediocre realm though. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to get the high draft picks. They don't have the coaching staff or front office to make that push into the upper echelon, in my opinion.As for Vick, that goes back to bad front office moves. They had a plan in moving onto Kevin Kolb but botched that all because a few flashy plays by vick. Now it looks like Kolb may not have been the way to go anyway but Andy has really messed up the replacement for McNabb for about 3 seasons now. He probably should have gone to Kolb in 2009 but the playoff run defused that. Then Kolb's injury just made a mess of things. He never figured out if Kolb could play in all the time he was here. Vick was a desperation move to me. They stumbled upon a talented guy that could make some plays but ultimately isn't going to win a super bowl and ran with it. The mistake was the big time deal. They should have done another incentive laden deal and called his bluff on going else where. Guy gets injured too often to be paid like a top 5 qb. Without Vick making some memorable plays, andy might be gone already but are we really better off than we were 3 years ago? I never thought I'd be envious of the Giants for having Eli Manning.

Jason, I appreciate your insight and knowledge on the team but I feel sometimes your vision is a little too green. What have they done in the last 7 years to show you that they have recognized what it takes to get to a super bowl and have taken the necessary steps to do so? Yes they got a lot of high priced talent last year but they left the areas of perrenial weakness (safety and LB) alone. They compounded the problem by throwing a rookie defensive coach into the role of DC and just hoping he would be able to wing it enough to get them to the Super Bowl.

Obviously we have the draft and FA to see what the Eagles plan to do but I have very little confidence that they have an effective plan to get to the ultimate goal. Typically a title run has a growth or building towards something. Occasionally a team can go from worst to first and come out of no where. Usually though you see a team build for a few years and get better each year before finally pushing through. That is why I feel that any title run they have would be miraculous since we have seen no "build up" on the eagles for many years now. We have draft picks that occasionally hit. We have a good year, then a bad year. We have the surprise deep playoff run for a 9-6-1 team followed by the dissappointing first round exit of the 11-5 team the next year. Its completely inconsistent.
Perhaps miraculous is just too heavy on the hyperbole then. I'm merely implying that for the Eagles to win the super bowl next year would be a large surprise by the majority of people. I think that it would be highly unlikely that the Eagles would be able to pull that off. While I know the NFL is any given sunday anymore and even a team like the Rams or the Browns technically have a shot to turn it around, I think the consensus would say that teams like that would be a mircale to win. Eagles are stuck in the mediocre realm though. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to get the high draft picks. They don't have the coaching staff or front office to make that push into the upper echelon, in my opinion.
Fair enough, but as Eagles fans, don't we WANT that to be the case?Need I remind you what the "majority of people" thought about the Eagles last offseason?

New England Patriots 13/2

Green Bay Packers 7/1

Philadelphia Eagles 15/2

San Diego Chargers 11/1

New York Jets 12/1

Atlanta Falcons 14/1

Pittsburgh Steelers 14/1

Baltimore Ravens 16/1

Dallas Cowboys 16/1

New Orleans Saints 16/1

Indianapolis Colts 18/1

New York Giants 25/1

Houston Texans 25/1

Chicago Bears 28/1

Detroit Lions 30/1

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30/1

Minnesota Vikings 35/1

Kansas City Chiefs 40/1

St. Louis Rams 40/1

San Francisco 49ers 50/1

Miami Dolphins 55/1

Arizona Cardinals 65/1

Oakland Raiders 65/1

Jacksonville Jaguars 75/1

Tennessee Titans 75/1

Seattle Seahawks 80/1

Denver Broncos 80/1

Cleveland Browns 80/1

Cincinnati Bengals 100/1

Washington Redskins 100/1

Carolina Panthers 150/1

Buffalo Bills 150/1

It's just old and stale. It's time to clean out the fridge. But we can't and all we can do is smell the rot for another season. (and probably 3 more after that)

Its depressing.

I can't wait until we draft another DT in the first round then take a LB in the 4th that we could've signed as a FA the day after the draft.

Raiders interviewing Mornhinweg.

Maybe they can take him off of our hands.
Why would losing Marty be a good thing?You think the offensive preparation and game-planning is a weak point?

:confused:
We lost multiple games in the 2nd half not just because of the defense.Personally I'm ambivalent about Marty. And losing him may actually be bad cause then the fat man will start calling plays again and we all know how that goes
Exactly. However this takes away the excuses since we know this is mostly Reid's playcalling anyway. Do or die with it. So bad for this year maybe unless Reid makes better adjustments.

Why would losing Marty be a good thing?You think the offensive preparation and game-planning is a weak point?

We lost multiple games in the 2nd half not just because of the defense.Personally I'm ambivalent about Marty. And losing him may actually be bad cause then the fat man will start calling plays again and we all know how that goes
Exactly. However this takes away the excuses since we know this is mostly Reid's playcalling anyway. Do or die with it. So bad for this year maybe unless Reid makes better adjustments.
There is soooooooooo much more to an OC's job than calling plays (in fact many OCs or DCs don't even do that). I'm not saying Marty is irreplaceable, but the last thing I want in a "win or blow it up" year is to lose a key assistant (who's an assistant head coach by the way) that we didn't plan for, and then see him poach coaches from our staff to rebuild Indy. Scrambling at that point to fill holes raises the risk factor tremendously.

There is soooooooooo much more to an OC's job than calling plays (in fact many OCs or DCs don't even do that). I'm not saying Marty is irreplaceable, but the last thing I want in a "win or blow it up" year is to lose a key assistant (who's an assistant head coach by the way) that we didn't plan for, and then see him poach coaches from our staff to rebuild Indy. Scrambling at that point to fill holes raises the risk factor tremendously.

Sooooo, the Raiders are interviewing Marty and Mike Tice for their HC vacancy. "Commitment to Excellence" :mellow: Personally I want to see Marty stay. I want 2012 to truly be win or else. And by win, I mean NFCCG at the least. And even another loss in the Championship Game would be bitter to swallow. Not make the playoffs, not get bumped on the road in Detroit in the divisional round. NFCCG or clean house. No excuses. Eight years is more than enough time to become a serious contender again. I'm even in favor of keeping Castillo. He's Andy's hand pick guy, so let him live or die with that decision. Three DC's in 3 years is not a model of consistency.

Understood, but to steal a line from Reid, Marty has the right to put himself in a better position to get back to being a head coach. They're 31 other teams constantly adjsuting, continuity among a front office/coaching staff is always a delciate thing. Hell, Grisgson got the GM job in Indy for what in my mind was a subpar job evaulating talent here the past two drafts. I certainly don't want to see Lurie extend anyone's tenure past what it's already set at. As you said this is a win or blow it up year, and I think we all know that this team will be going in for a major overhaul 12 months from now.

Understood, but to steal a line from Reid, Marty has the right to put himself in a better position to get back to being a head coach. They're 31 other teams constantly adjsuting, continuity among a front office/coaching staff is always a delciate thing. Hell, Grisgson got the GM job in Indy for what in my mind was a subpar job evaulating talent here the past two drafts. I certainly don't want to see Lurie extend anyone's tenure past what it's already set at. As you said this is a win or blow it up year, and I think we all know that this team will be going in for a major overhaul 12 months from now.
What we're hoping for is either a parade or a new era in Philly. Some of us fear them going 10-6 and a first round loss, and Andy's back because they made the playoffs. If they lose their OC and have to bring in a new guy, there's a built in excuse if they get off to a slow start. Pretty easy to envision Laurie addressing the media to announce Reid's new 3-year extension because they finished strong.

Sooooo, the Raiders are interviewing Marty and Mike Tice for their HC vacancy. "Commitment to Excellence" :mellow: Personally I want to see Marty stay. I want 2012 to truly be win or else. And by win, I mean NFCCG at the least. And even another loss in the Championship Game would be bitter to swallow. Not make the playoffs, not get bumped on the road in Detroit in the divisional round. NFCCG or clean house. No excuses. Eight years is more than enough time to become a serious contender again. I'm even in favor of keeping Castillo. He's Andy's hand pick guy, so let him live or die with that decision. Three DC's in 3 years is not a model of consistency.
Well if Marty moves on, maybe we can take a defensive positions coach and make him OC. How bout Caldwell or Zordich? I think they've always said they wanted to try out the offensive side of the ball.

What we're hoping for is either a parade or a new era in Philly. Some of us fear them going 10-6 and a first round loss, and Andy's back because they made the playoffs. If they lose their OC and have to bring in a new guy, there's a built in excuse if they get off to a slow start. Pretty easy to envision Laurie addressing the media to announce Reid's new 3-year extension because they finished strong.
Based on whose playing in the NFC title game, I don't think Reid survives a one and done playoff season next year. Nor should he, given that he'll have that all important offseason that Lurie thinks not having caused them to lead the league in turnovers and blow countless 4th quarter leads. I sure as hell know the fanbase won't put up with it.

Well if Marty moves on, maybe we can take a defensive positions coach and make him OC. How bout Caldwell or Zordich? I think they've always said they wanted to try out the offensive side of the ball.
Now you're just being silly. Those guys never even played offense, not even in high school

;)

Now you're just being silly. Those guys never even played offense, not even in high school

;)
But they've played football and have seen offenses work from the defensive POV. So its not hard to make the leap that they can be effective OC's. At worst they can just wing it and learn on the fly. Its so outside of the box that it'll be genius. :excited:

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

It wouldn't be a good thing because Andy would be in complete control of the offense and we all know what that means. Having said that the two minute drill, which the eagles haven't been able to get a grasp on in say the last ten years, would fall into the category of offensive preparation. Yes I realize Marty isn't responsible for all those years, but he also hasn't been able to get it fixed. . And also the boneheaded approach the eagles frequently have of throwing the ball against teams that cant stop the run would fall into this category. So while it may not be a weak point, there is much room for improvement in that area. Let's not get carried away with Marty here. It's not like he's this great offensive mind that can't be replaced. He's essentially an extension of Reid.

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

It wouldn't be a good thing because Andy would be in complete control of the offense and we all know what that means. Having said that the two minute drill, which the eagles haven't been able to get a grasp on in say the last ten years, would fall into the category of offensive preparation. Yes I realize Marty isn't responsible for all those years, but he also hasn't been able to get it fixed. . And also the boneheaded approach the eagles frequently have of throwing the ball against teams that cant stop the run would fall into this category. So while it may not be a weak point, there is much room for improvement in that area. Let's not get carried away with Marty here. It's not like he's this great offensive mind that can't be replaced. He's essentially an extension of Reid.
In the six years Marty has been with Philly, our team has:Ranked on average 5.7 out of 32 in offensive yards (including back-to-back top 5 seasons the last two years)

Ranked on average 7.5 out of 32 in offensive points scored (including five top 8 seasons -- with one outlier where we ranked 17th)

Hard to replace that kind of productivity on the fly :shrug:

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

In the six years Marty has been with Philly, our team has:Ranked on average 5.7 out of 32 in offensive yards (including back-to-back top 5 seasons the last two years)

Ranked on average 7.5 out of 32 in offensive points scored (including five top 8 seasons -- with one outlier where we ranked 17th)

I think you are over-estimating Marty's role in the offense or we are under-estimating it. It is still Andy's offense, Marty is the current caretaker. And how long now has Marty been calling plays? 2 or 3 of those years?"Hard to replace that kind of productivity on the fly :shrug: " Was the same thing said when Childress left? I'll answer, probably yes.

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

I think you are over-estimating Marty's role in the offense or we are under-estimating it. It is still Andy's offense, Marty is the current caretaker. And how long now has Marty been calling plays? 2 or 3 of those years?"Hard to replace that kind of productivity on the fly :shrug: " Was the same thing said when Childress left? I'll answer, probably yes.
Looking back over Andy's tenure and his OC's shows there hasn't been a drop-off from one to another. Rod Dowhower was the OC from '99 to '01. They won 11 games in both 2000 & 2001. Brad Childress took over in '02 and they won 12 games. Marty took over in '06 and they won 10.There hasn't been any real drop off going from Dowhower to Childress to Marty. And they've had the least success under Marty.

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

Looking back over Andy's tenure and his OC's shows there hasn't been a drop-off from one to another. Rod Dowhower was the OC from '99 to '01. They won 11 games in both 2000 & 2001. Brad Childress took over in '02 and they won 12 games. Marty took over in '06 and they won 10.There hasn't been any real drop off going from Dowhower to Childress to Marty. And they've had the least success under Marty.
Yeah this is a silly argument wood. You can try and cut the numbers any way you like. It's like with ground meat, 90% lean meat sounds so much better than 10% fat. Bottom line, it's been the same offense with or without Marty. Unbalanced, incapable of adjustments, and no two minute drill. Is Marty really calling the plays? Is Andy calling the plays? Doesn't really make a difference, it's the same offense.

'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

Yeah this is a silly argument wood. You can try and cut the numbers any way you like. It's like with ground meat, 90% lean meat sounds so much better than 10% fat. Bottom line, it's been the same offense with or without Marty. Unbalanced, incapable of adjustments, and no two minute drill. Is Marty really calling the plays? Is Andy calling the plays? Doesn't really make a difference, it's the same offense.
What I'm saying is that all things being equal, I never want to see one of my team's most trusted senior coaches leave unexpectedly. Do I think we could get by without Marty? Sure, of course. But I would prefer not to have to shuffled everyone else on staff around, as I presume Andy would promote from within. I assume David Culley would be the guy, or I guess Doug Pederson.

'Jason Wood said:
'Skeletore Eh said:
'Amused to Death said:
'Shane Falco said:
'Jason Wood said:
'Skeletore Eh said:
'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

What I'm saying is that all things being equal, I never want to see one of my team's most trusted senior coaches leave unexpectedly. Do I think we could get by without Marty? Sure, of course. But I would prefer not to have to shuffled everyone else on staff around, as I presume Andy would promote from within. I assume David Culley would be the guy, or I guess Doug Pederson.
Pederson would be ironic wouldn't it. The first guy he entrusted the offense to in 1999 and hopefully the last one he hands it to in 2012.

Here's to hoping with a full offseason, Castillo can improve. The team did start to turn it around towards the end of the season, but I have no idea if that was because of Castillo or because they were finally able to gel together as a unit.

Here's to hoping with a full offseason, Castillo can improve. The team did start to turn it around towards the end of the season, but I have no idea if that was because of Castillo or because they were finally able to gel together as a unit.
Or they played the dolphins, jets, cowboys, and redskins

'Amused to Death said:
'Shane Falco said:
'Jason Wood said:
'Skeletore Eh said:
'Jason Wood said:
'Insein said:

While I agree that Marty probably won't be missed much, team success(i.e. wins) is hardly a fair comparison of the OC's. For a start the defense was much stronger when Dowhower and Chilly were the OC's than it has been since Marty came on board.It's pretty hard to compare really as there are so many variables. Marty has probably had better skill position talent (WR mainly) but his OL's have been much worse for the most part. Also the NFC has been much stronger in the last 5-6 years than it was in early 2000's.

Nolan and Spags hired. I thought the Eagles were looking for a D-Coordinator. Am I wrong?
FANS were looking for a new DC, Andy apparently was not. :bag:
And yet Andy (or anyone from the front office)hasn't said a word in support of Juan. He was quick to come to the defense of McDermott when the heat was on him even though he fired him 3 days later, but mum on Juan. Even Laurie declined comment on Castillo's status deferring to Andy. Come to think of it, Andy hasn't said a word to the media about anything. Strange after such a tumultuous season.

:goodposting: This. I don't have much faith in Juan, but he was given the job and deserves at least one full off-season before being labeled a failure.

Nolan and Spags hired. I thought the Eagles were looking for a D-Coordinator. Am I wrong?
FANS were looking for a new DC, Andy apparently was not. :bag:
Here's a couple of Philly bloggers' opinion on the subject:If Reid was dead set on bringing back Castillo, there was no reason not to say so by now. The team’s silence points strongly to them considering a change. Why let their coach twist in the wind for no reason?Reid was offered several chances during the season to endorse Castillo, and didn’t. Jeffrey Lurie gave us a list of people who would be back. It included Reid, Joe Banner and Howie Roseman. He allowed that DeSean Jackson might return under the right circumstances. But when he was asked if Castillo would return, he punted.That says something. When a boss in any field – sports, business, politics – is asked to give a vote of confidence to an employee, the only move is to give it, unless you’re actually considering a switch. Declining to back your own people undermines their standing. The Eagles know that. That's why, within days of the season’s end, Lurie put to rest the speculation about Reid.Again, if Castillo was back no matter what, there was zero upside in refusing to say so. But there have been questions around Castillo since midway through the season, and the Eagles have never dispelled them.http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/blogs/Is-Castillo-now-safe.html#ixzz1k1dFTiO6

Users who are viewing this thread