What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Osweiler (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
Per DevilsDigest twitter:

Sources have confirmed that Brock Osweiler will hold a press conference Friday to announce that he is declaring for the NFL draft
I guess it helps that Landry and Barkley are staying, but the big guy surely needed another year as he faded down the stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tallest quarterback since Dan McGwire. :thumbup:
"But he moves so well for being so tall!""He was offered a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga!"

The bright side of being an ASU fan, I won't have to listen to the broadcasters mention this on every Sun Devil possession.

Ugh. Interesting tools, but not nearly ready and probably doesn't have the mental skill set to make it in the NFL.

Very poor decision.

Think this has more to do with him being stuck because of the hiring of Graham. May not be a fit in that offense (or like the guy) and so he either enters the draft too early or tranfers. If he transfers to a D-1 he has to sit out a year (did redshirt ever?) or goes to play at a lower level school where he probably will not look any better than he did at ASU.

Think this has more to do with him being stuck because of the hiring of Graham. May not be a fit in that offense (or like the guy) and so he either enters the draft too early or tranfers. If he transfers to a D-1 he has to sit out a year (did redshirt ever?) or goes to play at a lower level school where he probably will not look any better than he did at ASU.
All the writers say he's upset about his OC, Maazone geting an interview, but not getting the job with Graham and subsequently getting hired by Mora at UCLA. Since he'd have to wait a year to play if he transferred within the conference, I suppose he thinks this is the best decision. Pretty much no one else agrees. He's projecting as a 3rd rounder according to some pundits.

Brock Osweiler is the fakest sounding name I've heard all week!

Edit: Well that didn't last long, RN has cited one Dontonio Wingfield which not only ascends to the top of the weekly leaderboard but may be a strong contender for taking it all in 2012.

Gil Brandt caused a minor stir when he stated that Osweiler could be drafted in the first after watching his pro day.

Greg Cosell tweeted the following this morning:

Someone said Osweiler could get into 1st rd. Absolutely not 1st rd QB re: on tape. Needed functional space to step into throws. Big concern.

RE; Osweiler QB often drafted much higher than grades. Didn't think Osweiler had arm strength I'm reading about. Not naturally accurate.
BTW: I think it is funny that Cosell is pretending like he didn't know who said it.

It's amazing how QBs get talked up so much every year. I mean, maybe people are right, but Tannehill is suddenly a top 10 pick and Osweiler is a 1st rounder?

Come on now...

Oh, and Brandt needs to retire. He has totally lost it. Guy has no clue anymore.

Did strong workout vault QB Osweiler into first round?

By Gil Brandt

One day after Ryan Tannehill wowed NFL scouts and coaches with his workout at Texas A&M, quarterback Brock Osweiler did the same at his pro day, launching himself into first-round consideration.

Representatives from 23 teams were on hand to watch Osweiler work out at ASU on Friday, including many of the same scouts and coaches who observed Tannehill’s workout on Thursday. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Browns QB coach Mark Whipple and representatives from the Miami Dolphins were among those in attendance. Osweiler opted not to work out at Arizona State’s pro day earlier in the month.

Osweiler weighed in at 238 pounds on Friday; his height was not measured, but at the NFL Scouting Combine he measured 6-foot-6 7/8. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 and 4.97 seconds indoors on FieldTurf. He threw for those in attendance, but did not do any other drills.

The scripted throwing session was run by Noel Mazzone, who recently left the Arizona State coaching staff to become an assistant at UCLA. Osweiler threw 72 passes, with seven hitting the ground. The seven misses were not, however, an indicator of wildness; his accuracy was very good. He presented himself very well, which is important for a quarterback, and interacted well with his receivers.

Despite his height, he is very flexible and has a solid throwing platform. Mazzone has worked with him to correct a tendency to drop his elbow, which Osweiler avoided doing on Friday.

Based on Friday’s workout, I think Osweiler vaulted himself into the first round on draft day. He will likely work out for a number of teams; there is a lot of excitement surrounding him. His showing Friday was somewhat surprising; I think he exceeded the expectations of everybody in attendance.

Osweiler, an outstanding high-school athlete from Montana, has a lot of upside, and some team with a need at the position will be tempted late in the first round.

Osweiler undecided if he'll accept invite to draft

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Writer

Here's what we know about Brock Osweiler: He's tall (6-foot-7). He's green (15 career starts at Arizona State). And nobody can come close to a collective agreement as to where he'll be drafted this month.

A standout pro day Friday only added to the intrigue around Osweiler. NFL.com's Gil Brandt sees a future starter whose workout moved him into first-round consideration. Others, NFL Network's Michael Lombardi and Charley Casserly among them, consider Osweiler a mid- to late-round talent.

The league office seems to believe Osweiler could go early in the draft, inviting him to sit in the hallowed green room at Radio City Music Hall. Osweiler tweeted Friday that attending the draft was a childhood dream, but in an exclusive conversation with Around The League, he said he's unsure he'll make the trip.

"Honestly, New York would be a lot of fun, and there's some great things that would take place, and like I said, it has been a dream of mine," Osweiler said by phone Sunday. "But it's just the person I am and how I was raised that I want to be around the people that have supported me throughout this process."

It's unlikely Osweiler would even have a decision to wrestle with if not for his pro day. Representatives from 23 teams were on hand to watch Osweiler work out, including many of the same scouts and coaches who observed Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill's session the previous day. Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Cleveland Browns quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple and representatives from the Miami Dolphins were among those in attendance.

Asked why he believed the pro day created so much buzz, Osweiler said it went back to the game plan he drew up with Noel Mazzone, Arizona State's former offensive coordinator and a close confidant of the QB. Osweiler called his pro day "risky," saying his program consisted of more difficult throws than typical. He acknowledged the feeling he needed to do something extra to turn skeptics into believers.

"We kind of looked at it as a poker thing," he said. "We're going all in on this. We're going to strike big, or something else is going to happen. That's just who I am. A lot of people don't know much about me with only 15 career starts, so I wanted to go out there and show everybody what I can do, that I'm not going to play it safe."

Does Osweiler have a suit picked out if he does decide to fly east later this month?

"You know, élevée, (a Los Angeles-based custom clothing company) made a few suits for me throughout the process," he said. "So if we end up in New York, I'll have something nice to wear."

All dressed up with no idea where he'll go.

Guys is a 3rd day talent. No business going before round 4. as big of project as john skeleton.....and much less of an arm.

people need to take off the blinders (that he's 6'7) and watch some game film on him.

i think his best case scenario is Charlie whitehurst ....a backup qb

Is Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler a first-round pick?

By Ryan Wilson | NFL Blogger

It all started with NFL.com's Gil Brandt, who wrote Friday that Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler may have catapulted himself into the first round of the NFL Draft with his pro day performance. At 6-7, Osweiler is a former basketball player with rare athleticism, but the NFL scrap heap of broken dreams and unfulfilled promises are filled with physical specimens.

"Based on Friday's workout, I think Osweiler vaulted himself into the first round on draft day," Brandt wrote. "He will likely work out for a number of teams; there is a lot of excitement surrounding him. His showing Friday was somewhat surprising; I think he exceeded the expectations of everybody in attendance."

Everyone agrees that Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill are the draft's top three quarterbacks. But no one has Osweiler No. 4. NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang has Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins ranked above Osweiler, whom he projects as a third-round pick.

Former NFL general manager Charley Casserly was asked about Brandt's assessment during an appearance on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft."

"I'm not sure what that means, to be honest with you," Casserly said of Brandt's first-round projection (via PFT.com). "I haven't studied this guy yet but I interviewed nine teams about him. Eight of them had him rated in the fourth round. The workout doesn't change the rating on the tape. The other team had him rated in the second. Issues about the guy concerning decision making, accuracy, takes too many sacks, questionable instincts. All of those things, to me, are things you see on tape, not in the workout. I'm going to take what those teams said and stick with that."NFL Films' Greg Cosell, who watches more film than anyone not employed by an NFL team, also doesn't consider Osweiler's shorts and t-shirts workout suddenly indicative of first-round talent.

@gregcosell

Someone said Osweiler could get into 1st rd. Absolutely not 1st rd QB re: on tape. Needed functional space to step into throws. Big concern.

Cosell echoed his Twitter skepticism on the Shutdown Corner podcast with Doug Farrar (via ArizonaSports.com):"I thought he had a tendency to push the ball," Cosell said. "I thought his arm angle was low on his delivery. I thought he over-strided a lot, which even lowered his arm angle more. I thought he did not drive the ball. And I even made a note that he did not have a strong arm -- he needed functional space. I didn't think he was highly accurate.

"You can tell that in the games that I watched, I wasn't a big fan," Cosell continued. "To me, he was a 7-on-7 passer. If he had a comfortable pocket and a defined read, he could make the throw. In fact, I made a note to myself that there were similarities with Charlie Whitehurst when he came out of Clemson."

Charlie Whitehurst, it should be noted, was a third-round pick who is best suited as a backup. The problem, of course, is that NFL success is contingent on having a franchise quarterback. Teams without them can't compete which, invariably, leads to draft-day reaches because demand annually outstrips supply. Look no further than last year when the Titans drafted Jake Locker at No. 8, the Jags took Blaine Gabbert at No. 10 and the Vikings grabbed Christian Ponder at No. 12.

Could Osweiler go in the first round? Sure (Tim Tebow was a first-rounder, after all). Should he go in the first round? That's a different question and as it stands, most draft experts think he's no better than a third or fourth-round pick.

Guys is a 3rd day talent. No business going before round 4. as big of project as john skeleton.....and much less of an arm.people need to take off the blinders (that he's 6'7) and watch some game film on him.i think his best case scenario is Charlie whitehurst ....a backup qb
:goodposting:

Guys is a 3rd day talent. No business going before round 4. as big of project as john skeleton.....and much less of an arm.people need to take off the blinders (that he's 6'7) and watch some game film on him.i think his best case scenario is Charlie whitehurst ....a backup qb
I think a Whitehurst comp is unfair, but I agree he is more likely to be a backup than a starter. He has the tools to develop, but he needs just that. Development. Anytime before day 3 is a reach.

He may be tall with a decent arm, but he doesn't have the important tools (the mental kind).

(Rotoworld) According to the Denver Post, second-round pick Brock Osweiler has shown "footwork that is rare for a quarterback so tall."Analysis: That's in addition to Osweiler's noted arm strength and "quality mobility." Per reporter Jeff Legwold, Osweiler is "already lining up as the team's No. 2," though he should continue rotating snaps with Caleb Hanie and Adam Weber behind Peyton Manning. Osweiler won't be handed Denver's backup job, but it sounds like he has a good shot at earning it outright.

He may be tall with a decent arm, but he doesn't have the important tools (the mental kind).
from seeing him in camp he can old a clipboard better than most. since that is what he will do his entire nfl career, i thinkkn he has some great tools.

I really like Osweiller as a talent. And he's in a perfect situation for a kid of his skill level. However even in a dynasty format with a superflex, I couldn't find room for him on my roster.

'bagger said:
from seeing him in camp he can old a clipboard better than most. since that is what he will do his entire nfl career, i thinkkn he has some great tools.
How long are you expecting Peyton to play? He will have no one else on the roster to compete with once he's retired and they should still have some quality talent on offense.

'cstu said:
(Rotoworld) According to the Denver Post, second-round pick Brock Osweiler has shown "footwork that is rare for a quarterback so tall."Analysis: That's in addition to Osweiler's noted arm strength and "quality mobility." Per reporter Jeff Legwold, Osweiler is "already lining up as the team's No. 2," though he should continue rotating snaps with Caleb Hanie and Adam Weber behind Peyton Manning. Osweiler won't be handed Denver's backup job, but it sounds like he has a good shot at earning it outright.
Everyone knows he can move. That's practically all the announcers ever said during ASU games. "Wow, he's mobile for a 6'8" QB." Unfortunately, he was also an awful decision maker and woefully inaccurate passer.Denver spends a lot more time and money scouting than I do, so they might be right in burning an early pick on Osweiler, but from my seat as a casual Pac-12 fan he was pretty bad and definitely not worth such a high draft choice.

'cstu said:
Everyone knows he can move. That's practically all the announcers ever said during ASU games. "Wow, he's mobile for a 6'8" QB." Unfortunately, he was also an awful decision maker and woefully inaccurate passer.Denver spends a lot more time and money scouting than I do, so they might be right in burning an early pick on Osweiler, but from my seat as a casual Pac-12 fan he was pretty bad and definitely not worth such a high draft choice.
obviously, it's early but all Osweiler reports have been glowing - accurate, strong, making good reads. Mechanics cleaned up, etc. We'll see if that translates come game time, but Broncos so far are pretty pleased with his development.

How long are you expecting Peyton to play? He will have no one else on the roster to compete with once he's retired and they should still have some quality talent on offense.
i am pretty sure there is a draft and free agency every year.

Rotoworld:

The Denver Post expects Brock Osweiler to depart via free agency before getting a chance to start for the Broncos.
Osweiler, the No. 57 overall pick in 2012, will be a free agent following the 2015 season. Peyton Manning is 38 years old, but is under contract through 2016 and is coming off an MVP season. Osweiler will likely have to decide if he wants to stay in town as Peyton's possible successor or if he'd rather compete for a gig elsewhere. He went 38-of-58 for 368 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions in the 2013 preseason.

Source: Denver Post

Denver and Elway are pretty much hanging out there with this pick - they took Osweiler in the 2nd - was that really necessary? Maybe it was at the time because who knew how Manning would really perform or if he would stay healthy at the time. Plus he gets another 1-2 years to develop under a great one. - Still, they also passed on Wilson, Foles and Cousins who all went in succession in the 3rd and early 4th.

Denver and Elway are pretty much hanging out there with this pick - they took Osweiler in the 2nd - was that really necessary? Maybe it was at the time because who knew how Manning would really perform or if he would stay healthy at the time. Plus he gets another 1-2 years to develop under a great one. - Still, they also passed on Wilson, Foles and Cousins who all went in succession in the 3rd and early 4th.
Everyone else passed on those guys as well.

Well we still don't like how good Osweiler is. It could turn out that he is better than Wilson or Foles. Unlikely, maybe? He's got talent and also the benefit of sitting behind a legend for a few years. We probably won't know for 2 more years.

Rotoworld:

The Denver Post expects Brock Osweiler to depart via free agency before getting a chance to start for the Broncos.
Osweiler, the No. 57 overall pick in 2012, will be a free agent following the 2015 season. Peyton Manning is 38 years old, but is under contract through 2016 and is coming off an MVP season. Osweiler will likely have to decide if he wants to stay in town as Peyton's possible successor or if he'd rather compete for a gig elsewhere. He went 38-of-58 for 368 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions in the 2013 preseason.

Source: Denver Post
Is it even worth it too keep this guy on any roster?

I have Manning in a deep bench league, and wonder if I should just drop Osweiler.

Well we still don't like how good Osweiler is. It could turn out that he is better than Wilson or Foles. Unlikely, maybe? He's got talent and also the benefit of sitting behind a legend for a few years. We probably won't know for 2 more years.
I bet PM stays another two years, and then I doubt Denver cuts bait no matter what, meanwhile he could walk in as starter for one of the best offenses ever with 4 years of the best learning curve imaginable.

Always thought it was odd that DEN went all in on Manning and a championship and then hedged their bet with Osweiler. Seemed like MLB was a much greater need for a team looking short term to win a championship and that they could have gone to the vet scrap heap for a clipboard holder.

Now they may have lost the second round pick as well as all the development Osweiler has gained. That's a potentially substantial loss.

They're getting into the same spot NE is currently in with Mallet and may have to trade him next off season to recover any significant value. With the QB class this year, this may be a great chance to optimize the possible value and to take an incoming draftee who is still a couple of years away, and then bridge the couple of years with an older guy willing to stand on the sideline for a couple million a year and a shot at a ring in the event of dire emergency (which if it happens ends their season anyhow)

Always thought it was odd that DEN went all in on Manning and a championship and then hedged their bet with Osweiler. Seemed like MLB was a much greater need for a team looking short term to win a championship and that they could have gone to the vet scrap heap for a clipboard holder.

Now they may have lost the second round pick as well as all the development Osweiler has gained. That's a potentially substantial loss.

They're getting into the same spot NE is currently in with Mallet and may have to trade him next off season to recover any significant value. With the QB class this year, this may be a great chance to optimize the possible value and to take an incoming draftee who is still a couple of years away, and then bridge the couple of years with an older guy willing to stand on the sideline for a couple million a year and a shot at a ring in the event of dire emergency (which if it happens ends their season anyhow)
Maybe the Broncos plan to give Manning a bus ticket next year.

Maybe the Broncos plan to give Manning a bus ticket next year.
:lol: What could possibly go wrong there? Osweiler could very well be in the position where he'd have to be the next best thing to Christ rising from the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread