What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Osweiler (2 Viewers)

Always thought it was odd that DEN went all in on Manning and a championship and then hedged their bet with Osweiler. Seemed like MLB was a much greater need for a team looking short term to win a championship and that they could have gone to the vet scrap heap for a clipboard holder.

Now they may have lost the second round pick as well as all the development Osweiler has gained. That's a potentially substantial loss.

They're getting into the same spot NE is currently in with Mallet and may have to trade him next off season to recover any significant value. With the QB class this year, this may be a great chance to optimize the possible value and to take an incoming draftee who is still a couple of years away, and then bridge the couple of years with an older guy willing to stand on the sideline for a couple million a year and a shot at a ring in the event of dire emergency (which if it happens ends their season anyhow)
Well Manning's closer to retirement than Brady, right?

They could just pay him the going rate to stay.... if they think he can really step in.

The Broncos will be very happy with Osweiler even if he never starts a game for them since it means Peyton played at a very high level for 4 years. Even if Osweiler sits for 4 years the Broncos will know him better than anyone and have the best shot at signing him as a FA.

Rotoworld:

Citing Peter King's mention of teams with QBs in their 30s possibly trading up for Blake Bortles, The MMQB's Greg A Bedard suggested the Broncos make some sense.
"Would be perfect Aaron Rodgers-like situation. Gives Bortles one, probably two years to get the work he needs to be a starter," Bedard tweeted. Our own Josh Norris mock the Broncos moving up with Miami at No. 19 to leapfrog the Cardinals to select Bortles. We have not forgotten about Brock Osweiler (contract is up after 2015), and understand the team's window to win might be short, but the fifth-year option and possible build similarities to Elway make it intriguing.

Source: Greg A Bedard on Twitter
According to the Denver Post, the Broncos still "really like" No. 2 QB Brock Osweiler.
There have been the faintest of whispers that the Broncos would consider a quarterback on day one of the draft, but it's not going to happen for the league's preeminent "win now" franchise. The No. 57 overall pick of the 2012 draft, Osweiler has attempted only 20 regular-season passes.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

Rotoworld:

According to the Denver Post, Broncos No. 2 quarterback Brock Osweiler "looks ready" to lead Denver's offense in the event of a Peyton Manning injury.
The Post reported in May that the Broncos "really like" their 2012 second-round pick, who was solid during OTAs. Only 23 years old, Osweiler is an interesting Dynasty prospect who could flirt with QB1 value in re-draft leagues if Peyton missed time. The Broncos have great weapons and play with a fast pace.

Source: Denver Post

Rotoworld:

Brock Osweiler - QB - Broncos

Brock Osweiler completed 10-of-13 passes for 105 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' second preseason game.

Poised and efficient, 23-year-old Osweiler is now 16-of-25 passing for 190 yards, two touchdowns, and one pick through two preseason appearances. On Sunday, he tossed a 33-yard score to Cody Latimer over the top of 49ers rookie CB Dontae Johnson. If Peyton Manning were ever injured, Osweiler would take over Denver's juggernaut offense and quite possibly flirt with QB1 fantasy stats.

Aug 17 - 6:16 PM

Always thought it was odd that DEN went all in on Manning and a championship and then hedged their bet with Osweiler. Seemed like MLB was a much greater need for a team looking short term to win a championship and that they could have gone to the vet scrap heap for a clipboard holder.

Now they may have lost the second round pick as well as all the development Osweiler has gained. That's a potentially substantial loss.

They're getting into the same spot NE is currently in with Mallet and may have to trade him next off season to recover any significant value. With the QB class this year, this may be a great chance to optimize the possible value and to take an incoming draftee who is still a couple of years away, and then bridge the couple of years with an older guy willing to stand on the sideline for a couple million a year and a shot at a ring in the event of dire emergency (which if it happens ends their season anyhow)
Some thought Manning's career was over with that neck injury

Team Who Drafted Player Says They Like The Player They Drafted
You made it clear in another thread you don't care for Faust's news blurb links.

You are entitled to your opinion, but, how bout you actually read the article before making your trademark snarky/sarcastic comments? The Broncos have said nothing publically about Osweiler, this was based on "inside sources" not a press release or anything on the record hyping a draft pick (which is what you are suggesting).

The Broncos have said nothing publically about Osweiler, this was based on "inside sources" not a press release or anything on the record hyping a draft pick (which is what you are suggesting).
Are these the same "inside sources" who we hear from every summer talking to the press about how Veteran X is in the best shape he's ever been in?

The Broncos have said nothing publically about Osweiler, this was based on "inside sources" not a press release or anything on the record hyping a draft pick (which is what you are suggesting).
Are these the same "inside sources" who we hear from every summer talking to the press about how Veteran X is in the best shape he's ever been in?
No, not from Ian Rapoport

"I can tell you from sources inside the Broncos organization, this is a guy they feel very good about," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network on Tuesday. "The reviews internally on Brock Osweiler are high, so if Peyton Manning does not come back, they do feel confident that they have a quarterback who can step in and have some level of success in there after Peyton Manning, whenever he does decide to retire."

It's to be expected that the personnel department responsible for drafting Osweiler still harbors strong feelings about his potential.
Osweiler may be the second coming of Steve Young. But it won't be because of what "insiders" are leaking to panicky season ticket holders.

IvanKaramazov said:
squistion said:
"I can tell you from sources inside the Broncos organization, this is a guy they feel very good about," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network on Tuesday. "The reviews internally on Brock Osweiler are high, so if Peyton Manning does not come back, they do feel confident that they have a quarterback who can step in and have some level of success in there after Peyton Manning, whenever he does decide to retire."

It's to be expected that the personnel department responsible for drafting Osweiler still harbors strong feelings about his potential.
Osweiler may be the second coming of Steve Young. But it won't be because of what "insiders" are leaking to panicky season ticket holders.
If they were confident in him, they'd have played him and let the injured and old Peyton heal up

IvanKaramazov said:
squistion said:

If they were confident in him, they'd have played him and let the injured and old Peyton heal up
What? :lmao:

Yeah, Coach Peyton was coming off the field.

The Broncos will be very happy with Osweiler even if he never starts a game for them since it means Peyton played at a very high level for 4 years. Even if Osweiler sits for 4 years the Broncos will know him better than anyone and have the best shot at signing him as a FA.
Will he be great like Mallett and Cassell?

Rotoworld:

Brock Osweiler completed 15-of-20 passes for 151 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' preseason opener Friday night.

Osweiler got the start and played the whole first half with Peyton Manning rested. The 2012 second-round draft pick kept Denver's offense on the move, engineering five scoring drives in five possessions including a 17-yard touchdown pass to TE Virgil Green. Osweiler flashed signs tonight that the Broncos' offense would be in competent hands should Peyton miss time in 2015.

Aug 14 - 11:45 PM

Will he be great like Mallett and Cassell?
Rodgers sat for 3 years.

Osweiller looked OK last night... Yes, it is the preseason but, depending on how the year plays out, I can see this being Peyton's last season.

He was okay last night, but I am still not sold on him. I mean the majority of his completions were 10 yards or less. It was mostly all safe dink and dunk type plays.

I don't know if it is his size or what, but he just looks very mechanical in the pocket and tends to shot put the ball on those short passes.

Admittedly I have not seen a lot of him in college, but the guy who was intriguing last night was Siemian. He looked like an NFL QB vs Dysert who looked like a guy who took a step back from last year.

The 2012 second-round draft pick kept Denver's offense on the move, engineering five scoring drives in five possessions
this is what matters most.

brock is going to be solid starter next year and can still be found on some waiver wires or traded for cheaply.

If Manning has 2 or 3 more games like he did Yesterday,He should hang them up before he makes a fool of himself. Father Time catches up to everyone,and Manning should be smart enough to know his time has come. I'd give Osweiller his turn at moving the Offense if Manning looks bad the next 3 games. Osweiller could have put up better stats than Manning did in Yesterdays game.Because he can actually move out of the pocket and throw the ball down field with something on it,Something Manning can't do anymore. It's time for Denver to move on from Manning

been holding Osweiler in a deep dynasty for a few years.

now is the time to grab him if you're in deep leagues in need of a QB.

I carried Osweiler all year in 2013, as I was convinced Peyton was gonna win the super bowl (should have known) and retire.

Over the months it became tough to hold him. But now's the time to grab him if there ever was a time. Denver still has two stud WR's and Osweiler has a nice arm. Not saying he's the next Aaron Rodgers, because that's silly. But like Rodgers, he has sat on the bench for a long, long time and should be 100% ready. So when he finally starts, he will come out firing.

The way Peyton looks, I just don't think his body can hold up much longer. He looks very, very old all of a sudden.

I picked him up after the first game this year when it was obvious that Peyton's collapse last year was a trend and not a mirage. Manning physically looks thin and frail this year. His arm is shot and I think even his reaction time seems off. The end is coming soon for him and it's sad to see but part of life.

But now's the time to grab him if there ever was a time. Denver still has two stud WR's and Osweiler has a nice arm. Not saying he's the next Aaron Rodgers, because that's silly. But like Rodgers, he has sat on the bench for a long, long time and should be 100% ready. So when he finally starts, he will come out firing.

The way Peyton looks, I just don't think his body can hold up much longer. He looks very, very old all of a sudden.
I agree. He's getting hit way more than usual. 12 sacks and 30 QB hits already this year. He was only sacked 17 times with 42 hits all year in 2014. I doubt Manning makes it all year if that continues.

Ok, guys. If Peyton gets hurt and Osweiler takes over how do you think he'll fare? He's going to get hit, too, but will he be better than Manning has been in Kubiak's offense?

Users who are viewing this thread