What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Shrine Game - preview, practice notes inside! (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
guys, as everyone knows I kick off my Ultimate All Star road trip next week! Every year I go to the Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, Tex v Nation (Battle for the Rock this year), and Scouting Combine. This year it starts in Tampa with the Shrine! I'll be taking practice notes and posting them here.

Today on Twitter I decided to bust out a little preview of the players I'm most excited to watch. You can follow me here: http://twitter.com/cecillammey

:banned:

check here for updated rosters for 2012 Shrine Game

http://www.shrinegame.com/en/Teams/2012Roster.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
here's my preview of just a few of the players I'm excited about!

just like my Broncos training camp reports read from the bottom up! :banned:

I'm expecting Wright to make multiple big plays during practice at the #shrinegame next week

Wright is versatile WR who I see best as dynamic slot player, (+) speed, moves, hands, routes, understands zone/man (-) size, physicality

difficult to pick final prospect I'm excited about at the #shrinegame ... I'll go with Arkansas WR Jarius Wright ...somewhere ClaytonG is :)

@rrush28 I like Russell Wilson as a Tebow-like backup, could get him around same time as Moore (5th/6th)

@rrush28 Kellen Moore struggles to throw outside the numbers, arm is WEAK, he's beyond tiny, great backup..not w/Tebow system in DEN

Harnish (+) athleticism, toughness, leader, head/eye fakes (-) locks onto 1st target, deep passes sail, scissor step drop needs work

Harnish is nice late round QB to consider, like him better than Case Keenum or Kellen Moore as pro prospects

a couple of more players I'm excited about to see next week at the #shrinegame - Northern Illinois QB Chandler Harnish

I could see that RT @lifesyourcup I've seen Cunningham compared to Muhsin Muhammed

BJC (-) not explosive in/out of breaks, build up speed, body catches too often -- finished strong, could continue to impress at #shrinegame

@joe_vacc yep, that's his son! THE LITTLE MEGGETT

LOVE BJC's 'my ball' mentality and fight/toughness when running after the catch (+) concentration, vertical, comes back to ball ...1/2

next player I'm excited to watch during practice at the #shrinegame is Michigan St WR B.J. Cunningham - finished his college career STRONG

Meggett runs better from shotgun formation, allows him to read/see field better, has the makings of COP RB in #nfl #shrinegame

Meggett's game is about quickness and short area burst (+) quicks, burst, hips, footwork (-) straight line speed, loses mo' after contact

next player I'm looking forward to seeing at the #shrinegame - Maryland RB Davin Meggett, never missed a game in his college career

I like Poole's general skill set as a runner, and believe he has the footwork/leg drive needed to be effective at the next level

Poole is looking to bounce back from inconsistent and disappointing senior season, his path begins at #shrinegame

TENN RB Tauren Poole up first, (+) leg drive, tough, pad level, balance, footwork, vision .... (-) patience, elusiveness, consistency

I'll list my favorites next!

oh yeah, favorite #shrinegame players to keep an eye on next week! excited to kick off the draft season in Tampa Bay this year

Wes just tweeted this

@WesBunting Wesley Bunting

If there's one guy who is going to move up draft boards big time in media circles following the #shrinegame its #FresnoState WR Devon Wylie

2012 Shrine Game Practice Notes, Day One, East Team

QB - Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi

Davis began practice throwing with a lot of zip on his short and intermediate passes. I like his setup as he drops back to throw. He is very balanced and displays good body control in his dropback. However, when he has to throw deep or put some extra 'pepper' on the ball his accuracy flies out the window. He will over-step into his throws and doesn't get enough/proper velocity to throw into tight windows consistently.

QB - John Brantley, Florida

My first note on Brantley says 'lacks velocity.' The notes don't get any better after that. His accuracy is all over the place on short, medium, and deep routes. He had trouble taking snaps today and shows a clear stop/hitch in his throwing motion.

QB - B.J. Coleman, Tennessee Chattanooga

Coleman looks the part, and was drawing comparisons to former Fordham (and current Cardinals) QB John Skelton. Like Skelton, Coleman is big, has a strong arm, and has little control where his passes end up. To fix his accuracy I would start with his feet. His stance is often too wide when he goes back to throw and he mostly tries to 'arm' passes into windows instead of properly following through. When he does step into his throws he shows better touch on deep passes, but he needs a clean pocket to feel comfortable enough to do more than just 'flick' the ball. Because of his size he has a nice delivery point where the ball leaves his hands. It looked to me like Coleman was a little nervous at the beginning of practice and that led to some wobbly passes. Coleman also doesn't go through his progressions fully and will often only read one side of the field.

RB - Davin Meggett, Maryland

Meggett is bigger than some people think. Weighing in this morning at 224 lbs he looked like a chiseled Greek god. Meggett does have good straight line speed, but lacks the instant burst of an elite runner. I like the way that he is willing to run inside and use his instincts to pick and choose his way through the second level of the defense. One of his best runs came at the LB level where he used an almost basketball-like crossover move where he stepped hard inside, got the defender to bite, then cut it back outside and turned on the jets. He's not as sudden as one would think but if he gets daylight he can take it to the house. Meggett can be a good receiver out of the backfield and has good change of direction skills in the open field.

RB - Tauren Poole, Tennessee

I'll be honest, Poole is probably my favorite player here and he did not disappoint today. He runs with authority and has a very aggressive mindset. He can beat defenders to the spot and shows good burst in and out of his cuts. I like the way he can run effectively in tight spaces. He doesn't need a ton of daylight to get through the hole and can 'get skinny' at the line of scrimmage. At the beginning of practice he seemed to be running out of control and slipped on a cutback run. However, as the day went on he became more comfortable and more aggressive. I like his jump cuts, pony kick (!), and of course his footwork. He can create his own space by using ankle breaking moves, plus he has the speed to beat the defenses angles.

RB - Alfred Morris, Florida Atlantic University

Morris was one of my surprise players today. He really stood out with his north/south running style, balance, and pad level. I like his stop/start ability and I like the fact that he doesn't have to gather himself to change direction. He shows good patience as a runner and even had one carry where he danced in the hole to freeze the LB before he lowered his shoulder and charged into him. He's a good one cut runner and showed good balance today.

WR - Tim Benford, Tennessee Tech

Benford was my favorite player today out of both practices. He was too hot to handle for any DBs covering him at practice. Even though he's not the biggest WR he shows consistent ability to high point passes. Benford reminds me of a young Panthers Steve Smith. He's smaller, aggressive, has great 'my ball' mentality, and will not back down from a challenge. After one player where he was interferred with Benford yelled to the DB as they walked back 'I see how you want to party in the club!' I love that swagger, the bravado that Benford has from being a small school (underrated) WR. He consistently plucks the ball out of the air and has very strong hands. His footwork/steps are good too. He runs almost silently on the turf and does a nice job of setting up his routes. Benford does not tip his route before he makes his break, thus he consistently gets open.

WR - A.J. Jenkins, Illinois

Jenkins showed good ability, going up high for a deep pass from John Brantley. He was too inconsistent today, and will need to show better concentration here in Tampa.

WR - Kevin Hardy, Citadel

Just a bad day today for Hardy. He fights the ball leading to a lot of drops. Even when he does catch the ball he fights it and struggles to haul in passes cleanly. The QBs here aren't elite but too often Hardy was a step late and a step slow getting to the football.

WR - LaRon Byrd, Miami

Byrd is a powerful strider who looks like an absolute beast. He started out practice hot and I was very intrigued by his ability to turn smoothly out of a break and get open. However, as the day went on he kept dropping more and more passes. Because of his powerful style when he head fakes a DB he will often lose his balance and trip himself up on a route. Byrd has a big frame and knows how to use it to box out defenders away from the ball. This makes him good as a red zone target or on shorter routes.

WR - Thomas Mayo, California University of Pennsylvania

Mayo had a good sideline catch to open up practice where he got both feet down. He dropped a pass over the middle of the field where he had his hands upside down as the ball came in. Proper technique is above the chest thumbs together, below the chest pinkies together. Mayo failed to do that and the pass bounced harmlessly away. He has poor ball tracking ability down the field, but did show a willingness to run routes and catch errant passes over the middle.

WR - Lance Lewis, East Carolina University

The only note for Lewis in my notes is his inability to get both feet down on a sideline route.

WR - B.J. Cunningham, Michigan State

Cunningham was one of my favorite players coming into this game. However, today I was disappointed with his inconsistency. He needs better 'my ball' mentality and didn't come back to the ball on comeback routes. Instead he would wait for the ball to get to him which led to contested catches or incomplete passes. I do like his route running on vertical or comeback routes. Cunningham gets into his routes quickly and does a good job of tricking DBs by counting steps. He does have strong hands and once caught the back of the ball on an errant pass.

TE - Chase Ford, Miami

Ford is not Jimmy Graham, not even close. Yes, they both went to Miami but that's where the comparisons end. Ford made a few plays, but is not athletic enough to pose a threat down the deep middle seam. He did make a diving catch in traffic late in practice but failed to secure the catch as he fell to the ground.

2012 Shrine Game Practice Notes, Day One, West Team

QB - Tyler Hansen, Colorado

I've watched Hansen during his entire college career and today was not surprised by his performance. Hansen looks good dropping back and has a balanced scissor step. When he throws the ball he has a wild 3/4 release and it really hurts his accuracy. He throws with good zip on routes of 15 yards or less. When he tries to go deep his velocity and accuracy really suffer.

QB - Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois

I was very excited to see Harnish today, but his performance was hot and cold. He seemed a little amped up early in practice and several of his deep passes were off the mark. I like the way that he's light on his feet and it adds to his escapability when the play breaks down. When going downfield he doesn't put enough air under his passes and thus receivers can't run underneath them. He had a Dave Krieg like fumble when he went back to pass once, but seemed to recover after that. I like his quick release but he does tend to drop his shoulder when he has to throw with more strength/velocity. I like his cadence and when his mechanically sound he can throw into tight windows.

QB - Dan Persa, Northwestern

Persa was the most consistent and best QB on the west squad today. He's very athletic and does a good job getting rid of the football on time. His arm isn't that strong, but he's mechanically true on most throws. Persa also is not afraid to throw into coverage and will challenge DBs deep.

RB - Lennon Creer, Louisiana Tech

I liked what Creer showed today. he's a good inside/out runner with a no-nonsense style. Creeer has good balance and can run comfortably in a one-cut system.

RB - Marc Tyler, USC

I like Tyler's power when running the football. He's a hard charging straight line back with little wiggle or elusiveness in the open field. He's also not much of a receiver out of the backfield and does not have reliable hands.

RB - Bobby Rainey, Western Kentucky

Rainey is not Darren Sproles...or Maurice Jones-Drew as some have stated. Rainey is more like Jaguars RB Deji Karim. He's low to the ground but does not have the explosion or burst to be dangerous at the next level.

WR - Jarius Wright, Arkansas

I was very disappointed by Wright today. He dropped way too many passes and just looked out of his game. I like his speed and explosive ability. He can be used effectively on end around plays. Many times today Wright would run a hook route or out route, get open, but drop a well placed pass right in his chest. Hopefully he'll have a bounce back day tomorrow.

WR - Darius Hanks, Alabama

Hanks struggles against press coverage and is not a physical WR. In order to get open he was often using an arm bar to push a DB back. That would likely be called offensive pass interference at the next level.

WR - Dale Moss, South Dakota State University

Moss is an impressive physical specimen. He has great size/speed combination but is very, very raw. Moss is not much of a route runner but can get up to speed in a hurry. He's very strong and can use his strength to rip passes away from defenders. Because of his size/speed/strength there will be some team that takes a chance on him late.

WR - Devon Wylie, Fresno State

Wylie had a big play at the end of the day with a nice deep catch over a defender draped all over him. However, before that he was very inconsistent. His hands and concentration leave a lot to be desired. Wylie is explosive in and out of breaks but did not haul in passes that he should have. he's a Wes Bunting favorite but needs to play better if he wants to climb up draft boards.

WR - Junior Hemingway, Michigan

I like what Hemingway did today. He's technically sound and knows how to set up defenders in his routes. Hemingway also does a good job of coming back to the ball and will look passes into his hands. He shows good ball tracking ability and can adjust to poorly thrown passes. I also like the way he can accelerate in and out of his breaks.

WR - Greg Childs, Arkansas

Childs had an up and down day today. He looks very sloppy off the line of scrimmage but is difficult to cover once he gets into his route. Childs made several difficult catches and showed good hand/eye coordination. Childs also showed good body control and caught one pass on the sidelines with tapping two feet down.

WR - Tyler Shoemaker, Boise State

Shoemaker high pointed some passes today and did a good job climbing to get passes above his head.

Thanks Cecil. I, for one, really appreciate the writeup. It's a thousand times better than the Twitter format.

Meggett is bigger than some people think. Weighing in this morning at 224 lbs he looked like a chiseled Greek god.
Holy cow! How do you get 224 lbs on a 5'8" frame?

Thanks a bunch Cecil.......I really appreciate your devotion to scouting these up-and-coming NFL prospects!! Excellent reading!! Keep up the great work!!

Rody

Day Two report is here!

2012 Shrine Game Practice Notes, Day Two, East Team

QB - Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi

Davis didn't do much to make it into the practice notebook today. He did show good ability to run a play fake, but too often his passes were off the mark or late to their intended targets.

QB - John Brantley, Florida

My mother always said 'if you can't say anything nice about someone don't say anything at all' .....

QB - B.J. Coleman, Tennessee Chattanooga

Coleman again showed some good things and showed some things that need work. Early in practice Coleman showed that he needed to work on his play action fakes. The coaches were telling him to 'stay patient' as he rushed a throw. He looked much better selling the screen pass fake than he did the downfield play action fake. I liked Coleman's pump fake ability. It's very strong, almost like a Ben Roethlisberger where he looks like he's going to let the ball fly then pulls it back in at the last second. Throwing on the run is not his forte. There was a bootleg pass that he threw over the track that circles the field. It had me thinking of Texas A&M QB Jarrod Johnson who did the same thing last year at the Shrine Game. Coleman fails to throw receivers open and does not lead receivers enough when he throws. This causes them to slow down on routes, instead of running underneath passes. He threw one interception today forcing a ball in the middle that Coastal Carolina CB Josh Norman picked off.

RB - Davin Meggett, Maryland

Meggett showed better burst today and had a good but not great day of practice. I still like his footwork when he has to change direction. He's not an ankle breaker but he doesn't have to gather himself to move laterally. He also doesn't lose much speed when changing direction. I am beginning to question his vision after seeing him swallowed up by the defense too many times. He missed wide open cutback lanes on at least two runs today. Meggett either can't see the hole or doesn't anticipate the cutback well. He ran mostly from the shotgun at Maryland and most of the time he had bigger holes to run through. I also noticed that he had more burst as a receiver out of the backfield. This may have to do with the 'open space' factor. Meggett seems more comfortable in space or outside than he does inside. He's a willing inside runner but that is not what he does best. Because of his stature I get reminded of Travis Henry when I watch Meggett. Henry was a better cutback runner, but Meggett is the same type of bowling ball with legs that Henry was.

RB - Tauren Poole, Tennessee

Poole once again showed great feet today. What's strange is that during the bag drills he had the worst feet of the three RBs on the East squad. However, when the scrimmage was live Poole looked the best changing direction, spinning, and running through trash at the line of scrimmage. He reminds me of Kendall Hunter from Oklahoma State. He showed good burst off tackle and leg drive when running inside. Poole (like Hunter) also shows the ability to hide behind his bigger O-Line and then accelerate into the open field.

RB - Alfred Morris, Florida Atlantic University

I was impressed by Morris once again today. I like his wide base and ability to run with balance inside and out. He did miss some cutback lanes running stretch plays, but he can be coached to watch for those lanes. At FAU he was primarily a north/south runner with little time to change direction. He's as no-nonsense as they get at the RB position. Morris showed good hands as a receiver out of the backfield and had some decent wiggle after the catch today.

WR - Tim Benford, Tennessee Tech

Benford came back to Earth a little bit today, but still had a strong game. I like his quick stutter step when running routes. He also showed good sideline awareness of multiple catches where he got two feet down on out routes. He did get scolded by coaches for looking at the yard markers when running routes. The coaches told him 'don't measure it off'. It's a way to tip off DBs when you're going to break your route and coaches will tell you to count steps instead of looking for yard lines in the turf. Benford showed a good stiff arm after the catch, and continued to have a fiesty attitude. However, that attitude also got him some extra pushups. After a play where he was pushed around by the DB he yelled 'Get your hands off me cuz!' This earned him 10 pushups for being disruptive after the play.

WR - A.J. Jenkins, Illinois

Jenkins showed good ability to adjust to poorly thrown passes today. He is a very heavy stepper and too often slipped when making a break on his routes.

WR - Kevin Hardy, Citadel

Hardy struggles to catch the football cleanly. He's either out of position and missing routes, or he's dropping passes that are right on the money. When a pass is caught by Hardy he stabs his hands at the ball like a vegetarian attacking a salad.

WR - LaRon Byrd, Miami

Byrd had a much better second day of practice. I like the way he looked in the ball today and was very good on routes (hooks, stops) where he must come back to the football. I liked the way he set up routes today with his stutter step and head fakes to cause false steps by the DB. He made one of the highlight catches of the day when he ran a comeback and dove for the ball low as he went out of bounds with two feet down. The crowd was 'oohing' and 'aahing' after that catch and college teammate TE Chase Ford ran over to give him some love. Byrd did a better job today of catching the ball with arms extended away from his body.

WR - Thomas Mayo, California University of Pennsylvania

Mayo plays with a lot of confidence, often talking smack after a play. However, he does not consistently catch the football and is a frustrating player to watch. He'll get open with ease but hears footsteps or is too busy thinking about the run after the catch. He also was getting yelled at by the coaching staff for not knowing the play after the ball was snapped.

WR - Lance Lewis, East Carolina University

Lewis didn't make it into the notebook very often today. He's not a bad player but doesn't 'wow' you on many plays. He gets a good handle on the football and showed good hands today.

WR - B.J. Cunningham, Michigan State

Cunningham played up to his potential today. He would have been the player of the day had TE Chase Ford not stolen the show during the last half of practice. Cunningham stops and starts really well. He is explosive out of his breaks and can get on top of the defense in a hurry. I like the way he sells the double move and finds the ball in the air. Today he was once again running crisp outside routes, but seemed to have better concentration today. The coaches were raving about the way he sells the 'Z out' route before breaking it back inside. Watching Cunningham toy with the defense was fun. Before one play CB Micah Pellerin was yelling 'watch for the slant!' Cunningham faked a slant inside which Pellerin bit on hook, line, and sinker. This left Cunningham wide open as he went vertical and it was an easy big play TD.

TE - Chase Ford, Miami

Ford began practice doing what most expected him to. He was boxing out defenders, using his frame to shield defenders away from the football and catching most passes thrown underneath on comeback routes. About halfway through practice he started to light it up with deep seam routes down the middle. Ford made big plays going to the soft part of the defense and did a good job sitting down in zone coverage. Ford had the play of the day when he caught a pass in stride over Safety Matt Daniels back. He turned in stride while Daniels had his back to the ball. Ford was able to pluck it off the back of his jersey, pull it over the defenders head, and secure it to his body before going to the ground. Ford wasn't done there. He also caught a pass deflected by Linebacker Joshua Linam in stride showing great hand/eye coordination. He seemed to feed off the big plays and was going for passes all over the field. It was certainly an exciting day for Ford and scouts certainly took notice of his big play ability.

2012 Shrine Game Practice Notes, Day Two, West Team

QB - Tyler Hansen, Colorado

Hansen continues to struggle in Tampa. Many of his throws are simply late, or off the mark. His deep passes tend to flutter when he attempts to put more into his throws. I like his base and the way he sets up, but his motion, accuracy, and velocity are all below average. I've talked to some in the scouting community who would not hesitate to bring him in as a developmental or practice squad QB.

QB - Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois

Harnish has the most upside of any QB at this game. He struggles throwing across his body, and needs to do a better job of setting his feet in the proper direction when he lets a pass loose. Halfway through this practice Harnish was having a very poor day. He was not throwing the ball and would not challenge CBs. Twice he dropped back to throw only to hold onto the ball too long and attempt to run the ball. There were several murmurs on the sideline when something clicked. Harnish came out and finished exceptionally strong. He started testing the defense and throwing deep with great success. Harnish had nice play fakes, hid the ball well, and then did a good job of fitting the ball in between two defenders. I don't know what coaches told him, but it worked.

QB - Dan Persa, Northwestern

Persa is the QB who is most ready now to play. However, his upside is very limited by his limited tool set. Persa twice showed good zip on 20-yard skinny post routes in practice today. It's more velocity and power than he showed yesterday, and that certainly got him noticed by scouts today.

RB - Lennon Creer, Louisiana Tech

Creer started practice with a bad fumble that got the coaches fired up. That negative play seemed to focus him more as the day went on. Creer showed good burst when changing direction and made several catches on poorly thrown screen passes. I like his hard charging running style and determination between the tackles.

RB - Marc Tyler, USC

Tyler was my favorite RB to watch today from the west squad. Yes, he's a one speed runner but he does a good job of getting to top speed in a hurry. He's very decisive with the football in his hands and wastes little motion when he runs. I like his forward lean and pad level when he's running between the tackles. Tyler did a better job as a receiver out of the backfield, but he's not a natural hands guy.

RB - Bobby Rainey, Western Kentucky

Rainey certainly has some flaws to his game. He began practice with a bad drop on a screen pass out of the backfield. RBs coach Duce Staley was heated about that. Later, Staley had more to yell about when Rainey didn't see a cutback lane open up to his left hand side. Staley took the time to work with Rainey after that play, but later a similar lack of vision came through. It looks to me like he 'runs blind'-- he goes where the hole should be and if it's not there the play is over. Rainey was frustrated later in the day and failed to finish a run where he was swallowed up early. That got him another chewing by Staley. When there's a good hole Rainey shows good stop/start ability. Rainey also shows good agility when he catches passes out of the backfield.

WR - Jarius Wright, Arkansas

Wright had a better day today, but still is not living up to the expectations I had for him coming into the week. I was more surprised when he didn't drop passes early after the day he had yesterday. He's not a natural plucker, but doesn't fight the ball when it comes to him. Wright will body catch too many passes and seems to always be thinking about run after the catch. I like his turning ability after a comeback route. He almost does a basketball pivot where he throws his elbow into a defender. He then has the burst to get upfield in a hurry.

WR - Darius Hanks, Alabama

Hanks is a try hard guy who had a very good day today. He began practice by catching a tipped pass where he didn't miss a beat adjusting to the football. He has the ability to catch high passes and will sky to catch the football near the sideline. Hanks also showed good body control and sideline awareness. Hanks also caught a pass he had no business catching. He was running a crossing route when the ball came in low and behind him. He was able to adjust to that in stride, basically turning and catching the ball on his back hip/thigh while continuing to run downfield.

WR - Dale Moss, South Dakota State University

Size, check. Hands, check. Route running or speed....not so much. Moss is a raw prospect with build up speed. He's not sudden off the line of scrimmage or in and out of his breaks. He reminds me of a more athletic Ramses Barden. Big, strong, build up fast, wingspan, leaping ability, but very rough around the edges. Some team will be happy with him as a developmental guy.

WR - Devon Wylie, Fresno State

More inconsistency from Wylie today. When he's on he's red hot and it looks like nobody can cover him. However, there are plenty of instances where he has lapses in concentration and will drop easy passes. His routes are inconsistent too. There was one play where he ran a deep in, but it was not as deep as it needed to be. Initially it looked like the QB (Hansen) threw it too high. However, after the play coaches were yelling at Wylie to 'set it high', meaning he cut off his route too soon. He's a frustrating player to watch. One play he'll twist in stride and turn it upfield in the blink of an eye. Next play he'll drop one put right on the numbers.

WR - Junior Hemingway, Michigan

Hemingway has a good throttle down when he needs to change direction. He'll keep his balance when running a stop and go, then gets his head around quickly for the football. I like the way he looks passes into his hands.

WR - Greg Childs, Arkansas

Like his college teammate Jarius Wright, Childs had a better day today. He turned nicely to catch a pass behind him in stride, took a hit, and still held onto the football. He looked good on comeback routes, but sometimes would let the ball get to his body on receptions. I like the way Childs gets upfield quickly on WR screens.

WR - Tyler Shoemaker, Boise State

Shoemaker had a very good day today. He'll make catches in traffic consistently and doesn't think twice about any CB or S coming to blast him after the catch. Shoemaker also showed great sideline awareness where he would tip toe and get both feet down before going out of bounds.

TE - Chase Ford, MiamiFord began practice doing what most expected him to. He was boxing out defenders, using his frame to shield defenders away from the football and catching most passes thrown underneath on comeback routes. About halfway through practice he started to light it up with deep seam routes down the middle. Ford made big plays going to the soft part of the defense and did a good job sitting down in zone coverage. Ford had the play of the day when he caught a pass in stride over Safety Matt Daniels back. He turned in stride while Daniels had his back to the ball. Ford was able to pluck it off the back of his jersey, pull it over the defenders head, and secure it to his body before going to the ground. Ford wasn't done there. He also caught a pass deflected by Linebacker Joshua Linam in stride showing great hand/eye coordination. He seemed to feed off the big plays and was going for passes all over the field. It was certainly an exciting day for Ford and scouts certainly took notice of his big play ability.
How does he only go 9-88-1 for Miami last year despite playing in every game? Even Jimmy Graham caught 17 passes his senior year in his only year of football.

TE - Chase Ford, MiamiFord began practice doing what most expected him to. He was boxing out defenders, using his frame to shield defenders away from the football and catching most passes thrown underneath on comeback routes. About halfway through practice he started to light it up with deep seam routes down the middle. Ford made big plays going to the soft part of the defense and did a good job sitting down in zone coverage. Ford had the play of the day when he caught a pass in stride over Safety Matt Daniels back. He turned in stride while Daniels had his back to the ball. Ford was able to pluck it off the back of his jersey, pull it over the defenders head, and secure it to his body before going to the ground. Ford wasn't done there. He also caught a pass deflected by Linebacker Joshua Linam in stride showing great hand/eye coordination. He seemed to feed off the big plays and was going for passes all over the field. It was certainly an exciting day for Ford and scouts certainly took notice of his big play ability.
How does he only go 9-88-1 for Miami last year despite playing in every game? Even Jimmy Graham caught 17 passes his senior year in his only year of football.
Miami is a funny team. How could Sam Shields go from not starting (and barely playing)at Miami to a starter on the Packers?

Miami is a funny team. How could Sam Shields go from not starting (and barely playing)at Miami to a starter on the Packers?
?Shields was a WR his first 3 years at Miami. He started 10/11 games as a senior at CB and ran a 4.3. He was a special teams POY for Miami. He clearly showed he had very good skills as an athlete and a football player in college.I realize there will be some unique circumstances that prevent a player from producing in college, like playing behind another pro prospect (Holmes), only playing 1 year of football (Graham), and changing positions (many players, including Shields). But he only had 9 catches as a senior and 16 in his career (2 years) and there doesn't seem to be any extenuating circumstances. It seems like he is going to return to normal or the Miami staff made a huge error in judgement.

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2012/Footballguys-Audible-2012-Vol10a.mp3

In This Episode: Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom discuss the future prospects of the skill position players from the 2012 Shrine Game in Tampa Bay. Topics Include: why Tennesee RB Tauren Poole was the best back in Tampa, could Michigan State WR B.J. Cunningham be a star at the next level, why you need to know the name Chase Ford, plus more!

enjoy! :thumbup:

subscribe to The Audible on Itunes, it's free!

Follow The Audible on Twitter!

Not to hijack the thread, but here are some additional notes:

East-West Shrine Game practice report: Tuesday

Tony Pauline

Posted: Tuesday January 17, 2012 6:27PM ; Updated: Wednesday January 18, 2012 6:12PM

The NFL's 32 franchises are well-represented in St Petersburg, Florida this week to take in the East-West Shrine Game, the first of the major postseason scouting events. The 80-degree temperatures made for pleasant viewing for league scouts, though its been tough for some of the participants, many of whom have not played football in almost two months. Numerous next-level prospects stood out during Tuesday's practice. Here are the 10 best.

Kevin Koger, TE, Michigan -- Koger was lost for much of the past three seasons in a Michigan offense that had little use for a tight end, but he displayed NFL ability in a big way. Koger was a dominant blocker all practice long, stopping opponents dead in their tracks. He made a terrific 25-yard reception down the seam in scrimmage, displaying natural pass-catching skills. Koger lacks the foot speed to be a true downfield threat, but at a position that's thin on talent in April's draft, he could be the biggest sleeper of them all.

Travian Robertson, DL, South Carolina -- Robertson was a steady force for the Gamecocks all season, but was overlooked with the star talent around him. He proved Tuesday that he's an NFL talent in his own right. Robertson looked athletic, quick and very strong. Lined up primarily at defensive tackle, opponents found it impossible to move him off the line, and on several occasions he defeated blocks to make his way behind the line of scrimmage. Robertson is a thick lineman with the strength to hold down the tackle spot in a conventional four-man front and the athleticism to get consideration as a two-gap end in a 3-4.

Brandon Brooks, G, Miami (OH) -- Brooks was graded as a free agent prior to the season, but has made the long climb into the middle rounds with terrific play as a senior. Tuesday he made his case to be a top-100 pick. Brooks is well-built and fundamentally sound, and stopped all defenders that dared tried to get by him. He was terrific in one-on-one drills, then repeated that performance during scrimmage. Brooks intrigues a number of teams with his ability to play several positions on the offensive line and slot into a number of different blocking schemes in the NFL.

Rishaw Johnson, OL, Cal (PA) -- The Cal-Pennsylvania product, who started his college career at Mississippi, looked dominant all day. He's mechanically sound and athletic, and overpowered everyone that lined up against him. Defenders were stopped dead in their tracks once Johnson got his hands on them. The small-school lineman really elevated his stock in front of scouts.

Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa -- Prater is trying to make up for a poor senior campaign, and he got off to a good start today, sticking like glue to opposing receivers, running downfield with them and remaining with them out of pass routes. He was in on several pass defenses throughout the practice, and made one very nice interception.

BJ Cunningham, WR, Michigan State -- Cunningham looked polished today and was the top receiver in the morning practice. He displayed reliable hands, easily making the underneath reception, while also contorting to make acrobatic grabs downfield. Cunningham's route-running was also much better than anticipated. He lacks classic foot speed and does not display a deep burst, but showed enough skill to cause NFL decision-makers to believe he'll be a solid third receiver.

David Snow, OL, Texas -- Snow looked dominant at two positions; guard and center. He's feisty, strong and football smart. Snow does not necessarily look the part, but gets the most from his ability and did not give up an inch to opponents this day. The versatility to play intelligent football at two offensive line positions helped his stock greatly.

Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State -- Scouts have been waiting for Crawford to break out all season, and it looks like he picked the Shrine Game to impress them. He's an athletic player who flashes a lot of explosion and strength. Crawford impressed with his inside moves today and ability to rush the passer.

Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina -- Of all the defensive backs in attendance, Norman is the one that truly passes the eyeball test. He's a tall, impressive looking athlete with a smooth and quick style. During full scrimmage he came up with a number of big plays, knocking away passes and almost intercepting throws. Norman also showed a good head. In the end he proved he belonged on a field with some of the better receiving talent in the nation.

Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State -- Moss is one of the most interesting stories at the Shrine Game. A former guard on the SDSU basketball team, he never played college football until last season. After a year in which he developed his game almost weekly, Moss did not look out of place Tuesday. He was smooth and graceful on the field, displaying solid downfield speed and catching the ball well. Grace admits he's still a work in progress, but there's no doubting that, based on Tuesday's showing, the arrow is pointing north for him.

Notes: Some of the biggest buzz at the Shrine Game surrounds the receiver position. The consensus has Oklahoma State junior Justin Blackmon as the top wideout in April's draft. But that does not match the reality on many a draft board around the league, which has Big 12 counterpart Kendall Wright of Baylor as the top receiver available. Wright is being fondly compared to Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers, with one insider mentioning he's a bigger version of the former All-Pro.

Another player shooting up draft boards is Ohio State tackle Mike Adams. Adams missed the first half of the 2011 season due to his participation in Tattoogate. Scouts love his upside and think Adams will only get better and stronger with more experience. Many in St Petersburg are predicting Adams, who's scheduled to play in next week's Senior Bowl, will be a mid-first-round choice in April.

East-West Shrine Game practice report: Wednesday

Tony Pauline

Posted: Wednesday January 18, 2012 6:09PM ; Updated: Wednesday January 18, 2012 6:12PM

The pace picked up on Wednesday, the final day of practice in pads at the East-West Shrine Game. More of the game plan was implemented for Saturday's contest, as the college players on hand in St Petersburg were put through the rigors of an NFL-type practice regiment. After Tuesday's practice produced some standouts, here are nine more players who put scouts on notice with outstanding performances.

Tauren Poole, RB, Tennessee -- Poole established himself as the top running back at the Shrine Game on Tuesday, then further affirmed this opinion in the minds of scouts today. He displayed incredible quickness and elusiveness every time he touched the ball, and also showed the uncanny knack to get past the line of scrimmage and through open running lanes without being touched by a defender. In the open field he showed a burst of speed and the ability to catch the ball. It was another terrific day for the Volunteer product.

Darius Hanks, WR, Alabama -- Hanks' stock has been moving north since his terrific performance in the BCS title game, and he kept the momentum going in St. Petersburg. Hanks is not fast, rather a sure-handed possession wideout. He ran good routes all week and used his frame to box out defenders from the action. Hanks' 40 time will be the ultimate decider as to where he lands in the draft, but his play here has affirmed the opinion that he'll be a solid fourth receiver at the next level.

Josh Kaddu, OLB, Oregon -- Kaddu lined up at defensive end for most of his Oregon career, but looked effective in space when his athleticism was unleashed the past two days at linebacker. He's both quick and fast, displaying the ability to take away the corners from ball-carriers. Kaddu's coverage skills need polish, but he showed the ability to run with tight ends all over the field. There's always a need for versatile linebackers who can rush the passer and drop into coverage, a pair of skills Kaddu successfully displayed.

Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii -- Meatoga is an athletic big man who beat opponents the past two days with quickness and power. He was able to exploit lesser blockers off the snap with his first step and also showed power and leverage in his game. He's more a conventional defensive tackle in a four-man line, and scouts walk away pleased with Meatoga's display this week.

Kaniela Tulpulotu, DT, Hawaii -- The other defensive tackle from Hawaii, Tulpulotu showed many of the same skills as his Warrior teammate. He may be a bit more athletic, and easily chases the action in pursuit. Tululotu has set himself up for a rise up draft boards if he performs well in workouts.

Kyle Wilber, DE-OLB, Wake Forest -- An undersized college defensive end who many project to outside linebacker in the NFL, Wilber confirmed those projections today. When lined up in a three-point stance during practice ,Wilber struggled getting off blocks and rushing the passer. But when he was allowed to play in open space the story changed. Wilber displayed the athleticism and speed necessary to get down the line and pursue the action. He's fluid with a burst of speed and a sure-handed tackler. Wilber was never asked to drop into coverage, but showed enough skill to make scouts believe he'll be successful in the transition to outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment.

Emil Igwenagu, TE-FB, UMass -- The small-school tight end has been the jack of all trades the past two days. Igwenagu has lined up at tight end, H-back and as a lead blocking fullback. He's done well at each position, showing a variety of skill. Igwenagu is a good athlete who catches the ball well and gets after blocking assignments to seal defenders away from the action. The ability to grasp the duties of new positions he never played in college has impressed scouts this week.

Tim Benford, WR, Tennessee Tech -- Benford is slim in stature, but was persistent on the field. He ran terrific routes all day and displayed the ability to consistently come free from defenders. Benford caught everything thrown his way, displaying very sure hands. He did not show great speed on the field, but Benford left no doubt he's an NFL-caliber receiver.

Bryan Anger, P, California -- Punters don't usually impress at postseason bowl games, but then again none have the leg strength of Anger. To plainly state it, Anger kicked the stuffing out of balls every day. Watching his moon shots into the clear sky made eyes hurt. Anger now heads towards the draft as the top-rated punter.

Notes: The afternoon practice, which featured the West squad, was shortened by 40 minutes this afternoon. A steady rain turned into a downpour, which made it tough to get any real work done.

Cornerback Josh Norman of Coastal Carolina and Travian Robertson of South Carolina both performed well again this morning. Miami-Ohio guard Brandon Brooks and Michigan tight end Kevin Koger repeated their top performance from yesterday in the afternoon's limited practice. All four head towards Saturday's game with much higher draft grades.

Monday is the first day of practice for the all-important Senior Bowl. One player on the mend who won't be attending is fast-rising receiver Michael Floyd of Notre Dame. In a statement released to SI.com, the big pass-catcher attributed his absence to injuries suffered during Notre Dame's bowl game.

"I was honored to receive an invitation to the Senior Bowl and was looking forward to participating in the game. Unfortunately, the injuries I sustained during my bowl game in late December brought into question whether I would be cleared by my trainers in California in time to participate in the full week of practices. Due to my respect for both Steve Hale and the Senior Bowl, I did not want to make a last-minute decision so I regretfully declined the invitation. I am disappointed I won't be in Mobile next week, but look forward to meeting with the NFL teams at the Combine in February."

Users who are viewing this thread