What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nate Irving (1 Viewer)

Mark Davis

Footballguy
I have searched for info on him and there is nothing I can find. I know with the lockout he was pretty much hopelessly stuck behind others in Denver but he has almost no stats this year and I haven't heard anything about his longer term prospects. Not sure if he is in Fox's doghouse or if he just isn't getting any time for other reasons. Anyone have any insights?

'Mark Davis said:
I have searched for info on him and there is nothing I can find. I know with the lockout he was pretty much hopelessly stuck behind others in Denver but he has almost no stats this year and I haven't heard anything about his longer term prospects. Not sure if he is in Fox's doghouse or if he just isn't getting any time for other reasons. Anyone have any insights?
I read an interesting article once about LB's contributing in their rookie year. LB's drafted after the second round almost never contribute right away. Wish I could remember where I saw the article though. If I had a deep roster, I'd stash him.

Assuming the DJ Williams suspension sticks, does this give Irving a shot finally?
Looks like it, but who knows. Wait it out with him on your roster if you have a spot. I know I am...the opportunity is there now for sure.Maybe Jene could weigh in on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the DJ Williams suspension sticks, does this give Irving a shot finally?
Looks like it, but who knows. Wait it out with him on your roster if you have a spot. I know I am...the opportunity is there now for sure.Maybe Jene could weigh in on this?
I think Irving was going to get his shot this year regardless of the DJ situation. The shortened year last year is the only reason I think he was not on field more last year. With full offseason and training camps, Irving will be starting MLB this year on opening day.

I think Irving was going to get his shot this year regardless of the DJ situation. The shortened year last year is the only reason I think he was not on field more last year. With full offseason and training camps, Irving will be starting MLB this year on opening day.
definetly more playing time available with Joe Mays being allowed to walk

They guaranteed Mays 4M for 2012 in a market that wasn't moving. That, plus the Woodyard signing, means Irving will have to be very good this offseason to force the team's hand. 2013 is a more realistic time frame now.

Any new news on Irving? Where does he fall within this years crop of rookie LBs? Trying to get a gauge on his value.

Any new news on Irving? Where does he fall within this years crop of rookie LBs? Trying to get a gauge on his value.
I was trying to find something on Irving earlier today and didn't come up with anything recent. I'm still working under the assumption that he and Mays will be competing for the starting MLB gig.

I was trying to find something on Irving earlier today and didn't come up with anything recent. I'm still working under the assumption that he and Mays will be competing for the starting MLB gig.
That's my thinking as well. have to believe Denver wants Irving to win the starting gig and will give him every opportunity to do so in camp. Mays, while serviceable, is not the future. Irving still could be and would think Denver would want to find this out sooner rather than later.Just looking to see if anyone has heard anything different. Also would like to know how he ranks among this years crop of rookie LBs.

I felt better about Irving before the Broncos re-signed Mays in March. The contract isn't lucrative and could be seen as a one year hedge despite its three year length, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence for Irving. Subpackage snaps are probably hard to come by for Irving immediately, too.I'm prone to leaning toward the younger player who's yet to have the shine knocked off his upside, so while I'm not giving up on Irving yet, I think I'd have a hard time rostering him over Kuechly, David, Wagner, Kendricks or Davis. It'd be a tougher call between Irving and Zach Brown.

Anything new with Irving? I haven't seen his name mentioned at all as a possible starter. Is there still potential here?

Anything new with Irving? I haven't seen his name mentioned at all as a possible starter. Is there still potential here?
He's backing up the only starting stud LB in Denver right now. He's backup Sam right now--which means he's right behind Von Miller. Supposedly he does not look like the future Mike as many had expected and the fact that he has not beaten out Woodyard or rookie Danny Trevathan for a spot at Will isn't looking great. He has been up and down in preseason action, but I would look elsewhere for sleepers. It seems Denver is content rolling with a corps of Miller, Mays and Woodyard to open the season and the fact that he's playing as a Sam doesn't indicate the Broncos have big plans as far as grooming him to play alongside Miller.

Time to start thinking about this guy again.. has a legitimate shot at the starting middle linebacker job.

That being said, we're still more than likely talking about a two-down role, so his upside is limited unless something happens to Woodyard.

As just the two-down middle linebacker I could see the potential for 60 or so solos and 20 or so assists.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6619/nate-irving

Time to start thinking about this guy again.. has a legitimate shot at the starting middle linebacker job.

That being said, we're still more than likely talking about a two-down role, so his upside is limited unless something happens to Woodyard.

As just the two-down middle linebacker I could see the potential for 60 or so solos and 20 or so assists.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6619/nate-irving
Hope so. I've stashed him for the past two seasons and losing Demarcus Ware from my LB corps to the DE. I really need Irving to see the field. I have Kuechly but the rest of my guys are uninspiring (DJ Williams, Brinkley, D Smith, Lawson, Maiava).

I don't see how. Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down. Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.

I don't see how. Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down. Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.
I am pretty sure Miller played DE in nickle and dime sets most of the time and Wolfe slid inside to DT last year. Shaun Phillips was signed so maybe he or Miller plays more LB in nickle sets. But if I had to guess, those 2 guys will be lined up as bookend DEs on passing downs which would leave the opp for Irving to play 3 downs. Miller, Mays, and Wood played 3 downs until Mays was hurt last year. Wood will be a 3-down LB and I think Irving will have the opportunity to be one assuming Denver's scheme is anything like last year's, which I think it will be.

Mays was never a three-down backer last year if my memory serves correct. Judging by his numbers, you'd have thought he only played one down. If Mays put up those numbers playing three downs, then how can anyone be excited about Irving stepping into this situation? I'm about 95% positive Mays only played two downs, though.

I'm guessing Danny Trevathan plays more snaps than Nate Irving this year.

Buffaloes, on 05 Jun 2013 - 22:50, said:

TheBottomLine, on 05 Jun 2013 - 22:11, said:I don't see how. Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down. Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.
I am pretty sure Miller played DE in nickle and dime sets most of the time and Wolfe slid inside to DT last year. Shaun Phillips was signed so maybe he or Miller plays more LB in nickle sets. But if I had to guess, those 2 guys will be lined up as bookend DEs on passing downs which would leave the opp for Irving to play 3 downs. Miller, Mays, and Wood played 3 downs until Mays was hurt last year. Wood will be a 3-down LB and I think Irving will have the opportunity to be one assuming Denver's scheme is anything like last year's, which I think it will be.
I have a hard time seeing Nate Irving playing over Danny Trevathan in passing situations.

Mays was never a three-down backer last year if my memory serves correct.
Mays was an every-down LB until the Pats exploited the middle of the field against him and he got hurt. The early opp is there for Irving and it's a situation worth paying close attention to. I am sure Denver will mix it up quite a bit on the defensive side of things, but if Irving can play the pass he'll probably earn some time in there on 3rd down.

I agree w/ the guy who said Trevathan can take some 3rd down reps. He looked very good in that role down the stretch last year.

ETA: As far as the LB situation in Denver goes, they should have a chance to make a lot of plays without wading through too much trash.

Denver invested heavily in the DL this year re-sigining Vickerson, picking up Knighton, and drafting Sly Williams in the 1st. Those guys are massive and should do a good job keeping the OL from reaching the 2nd level in the run game. Woodyard still projects to get the lion's share of tackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Irving worth holding in a deep 32 team league? Does he have a future any where in the league...if not with Denver, somewhere? Since he's hardly on the field I haven't seen much of his abilities. Does he have skills to be a starter somewhere?

His offsides on 4th and 4 essentially lost the game as the chargers drive lasted I think they said 7min more than it should have.........with as little as he plays I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut. Unless he is a core sp teamer who they'll give a mulligan to

I hate to say it but time to cut bait here IMO. I wanted to believe in him but three years into this he's shown nothing.

I know he was only playing due to Von Miller being out, but Irving had 3 tackles (per CBS Sports) and that nice break up in the endzone on that pass to Jermaine Kearse that would have been a TD had Irving not got his hand in there.

The only other LB that had more than 3 tackles was Trevathan and he had 12. Woodyard and Lenon combined for 5 total!

Do we still think he has zero value? Looks like he could get a fair bit of playing time in Denver this year.

It wasn't a great sign that various elderly stiffs (Paris Lenon etc) have started in front of him in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread