What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Fisher named Rams head coach (1 Viewer)

Gotta believe this is a good thing for Bradford. Hopefully they will give him some real receivers next year.

And haven't seen a Schefter tweet yet, but Paul Kuharsky, AFC South blogger, tweeted Schefter is reporting the same.

I kind of saw the writing on the wall with this one. Franchise QB and a top 3 pick. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that one. :rolleyes:

Smart choice.

Rams have optionality. Youngest team in the league, tons of cap space, the 2nd overall pick.

If they think Bradford can still be a franchise, they can use that 2nd pick to rebuild in a hurry -- particularly now that rookie salaries are more controlled. A LOT of teams will want that pick if they feel like dealing it.

Smart choice.Rams have optionality. Youngest team in the league, tons of cap space, the 2nd overall pick.If they think Bradford can still be a franchise, they can use that 2nd pick to rebuild in a hurry -- particularly now that rookie salaries are more controlled. A LOT of teams will want that pick if they feel like dealing it.
Yep, and if he isn't sold on Bradford I'm sure they can find a buyer and then use the pick on RG3. Bradford having so much guaranteed money might be a big cap hit though, but if they have the room they could absorb it. With how many quality free agents will be out there this year, if they like Bradford they are probably better off sticking with him and using the cap room to fill other holes.

Interesting.

Thought the Dolphins threw enough at him to lure him there.

Will be interesting to see if he changes a bit though. Not sure his keep games close with defense and running the ball will keep up in today's NFL. It can work in a few places...but can he build that in St. Louis.

Always liked him though while he was here in TN. Good smart coach...but think some of his style of play became tough in the way the NFL changed.

Gotta believe this is a good thing for Bradford. Hopefully they will give him some real receivers next year.
Fisher isn't exactly an offensive genius. He is all about running the ball, playing good defense, and shackling his QB for most of the game.

This ought to be good for Steven Jackson (oh wait, he's been run to the ground already ;) )

Interesting that they have 2 picks in the first 33. Good for building. Gotta think they'll pick plenty for the trenches

Fisher is a smart dude. You don't have to tell him how the NFL is changing. He's finally got a top-notch prospect at QB.

The Rams are looking up big-time.

Wow. Good move by the Rams. From Sprotsline:

Jeff Fisher picked the Rams over the Dolphins, CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman has confirmed.

Fisher stated last week that he was down to two choices: Miami and St. Louis. One (Miami) featured an owner willing to pay big, big bucks. The other (St. Louis) featured a young, star quarterback in Sam Bradford, potentially more front office control and the No. 2 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Fisher chose the latter and he'll be roaming the sidelines for the Rams in 2012.

Fisher's been the hottest coaching name this offseason, getting mentioned in rumors involving the Rams, Dolphins, Colts, Buccaneers and even the not-even-vacant position in Chicago, which was supposedly Fisher's dream job.

It's believed that Fisher could bring current Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who worked with Fisher in Tennessee, to join him in St. Louis.

As a Dolphins fan I'm thrilled...now hopefully they go interview Chudzinski and Carmicheal Jr (if/when the Saints are eliminated). Some fans will feel Miami lost out, if they are smart and hire the right guy they win on this deal.

Jeff Fisher picked the Rams over the Dolphins, CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman has confirmed.

Fisher stated last week that he was down to two choices: Miami and St. Louis. One (Miami) featured an owner willing to pay big, big bucks. The other (St. Louis) featured a young, star quarterback in Sam Bradford, potentially more front office control and the No. 2 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Fisher chose the latter and he'll be roaming the sidelines for the Rams in 2012.

Fisher's been the hottest coaching name this offseason, getting mentioned in rumors involving the Rams, Dolphins, Colts, Buccaneers and even the not-even-vacant position in Chicago, which was supposedly Fisher's dream job.

It's believed that Fisher could bring current Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who worked with Fisher in Tennessee, to join him in St. Louis.
If he does, it will be an even bigger bump for the Rams. I'm a Gregg Williams fan as far as quality, though I think his defenses walk and occasionally cross the line of being dirty. But that's not a bad fit, I think Fisher coaches his teams to play closer to that line than some.

:yawn: Not only did Fisher not make his mind up quickly, but the Rams and Dolphins didn't decide on Fisher quickly either. I doubt that he wowed them in the interviews for what he plans to do. Also, his tenure at Tennessee didn't look all that great the last few years either. I think they could have done better.

Not guaranteed, but fairly safe to assume he believes Bradford is good enough to be their longterm QB and make them a winning team.

Didnt Jim Caldwell get fired or am I imagining that?? The Colts could offer pretty much the same thing with Polian gone.

If he does, it will be an even bigger bump for the Rams. I'm a Gregg Williams fan as far as quality, though I think his defenses walk and occasionally cross the line of being dirty. But that's not a bad fit, I think Fisher coaches his teams to play closer to that line than some.
If he Brings Gregg Williams then he'll pick DE at 1.02. IIRC the front four bring the pressure in Gregg Williams defense and isn't James Hall getting a wee bit long in the tooth?

Wondering why Williams would want to leave.

Friendships are great and all...but contend with the Saints for a while...or go work to rebuild a team?

So, are the rams in the running to move back to LA? Fisher played ball at USC IIRC.

Don't they have some weird agreement with the dome owners regarding certain requirements are met to keep it as one of the top venues in the NFL, or else?

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: I haven't been this happy to be Rams fan in almost a decade.
Just wait until they move back to LA. :excited: Seriously, Fisher's signing must mean he's confident the Rams are not moving, which is a good thing. NFC West looking good. The new black and blue division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisher is a smart dude. You don't have to tell him how the NFL is changing. He's finally got a top-notch prospect at QB.The Rams are looking up big-time.
Yeah, that Steve McNair was really holding him back.
That was 6-7 years ago & he had McNair for just a season or two later in his career, & like I said, the NFL has definitely changed (even since then). I believe most people knew what I meant, but maybe I should've made myself clearer.Bradford is the type of QB you need in today's game unless your QB has mega-intangibles like Tebow. He's got a young top QB prospect now & I can assure people that Fisher is smart enough to figure that out.

'Football Jones said:
Fisher is a smart dude. You don't have to tell him how the NFL is changing. He's finally got a top-notch prospect at QB.The Rams are looking up big-time.
That was 6-7 years ago & he had McNair for 2 seasons later in his career, & like I said, the NFL has definitely changed (even since then). I believe most people knew what I meant, but maybe I should've made myself clearer.Bradford is the type of QB you need in today's game unless your QB has mega-intangibles like Tebow. He's got a young top QB prospect now & I can assure people that Fisher is smart enough to figure that out.
The Broncos, Ravens, and Niners are not high flying teams. But I'll admit I'm nitpicking. I am in the camp that is unconvinced Bradford is anything special.

As a Dolphins fan I'm thrilled...now hopefully they go interview Chudzinski and Carmicheal Jr (if/when the Saints are eliminated). Some fans will feel Miami lost out, if they are smart and hire the right guy they win on this deal.
Dolphin owner wont relinquish player personnel control. With Fisher confirming this, I don't see how its a good thing as typically meddling owners are almost always a problem.

Fisher is a smart dude. You don't have to tell him how the NFL is changing. He's finally got a top-notch prospect at QB.

That was 6-7 years ago & he had McNair for just a season or two later in his career, & like I said, the NFL has definitely changed (even since then). I believe most people knew what I meant, but maybe I should've made myself clearer.
:confused: Fisher was coaching TEN when they drafted McNair

A serious question must be asked now- what does jeff fisher and his people think of Sam Bradford? After a horrendous year last year, could they possibly become so enamored with RG3 in the 2 spot that Bradford becomes an expendable piece to say- the browns at 4? It may seem far fetched, but the fact is Jeff Fisher gets to pick whichever he personally wants. Who's to say that it isn't Bradford?

I've always thought Fisher was a great coach. This is a tremendous hire for St. L. Fisher will quickly weed through that roster, find the dead weight and get the young guys with real potential to start developing it. I think he will especially help the Oline, which is full of highly drafted guys who are under-performing.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on Bradford. Fisher will try to run the ball. I'm not sure Bradford is franchise QB material but on a Fisher team he probably doesn't need to be either. I'd be shocked if Fisher didn't look to trade out of the 2 spot in order to acquire more picks and add more of his own talent to the team. Maybe he will fall in love with a top player and stay at 2, but I doubt it.

Interesting.Thought the Dolphins threw enough at him to lure him there.Will be interesting to see if he changes a bit though. Not sure his keep games close with defense and running the ball will keep up in today's NFL. It can work in a few places...but can he build that in St. Louis.Always liked him though while he was here in TN. Good smart coach...but think some of his style of play became tough in the way the NFL changed.
FWIW, Schefter said it came down to Fisher preferring Miami for a lot of reasons, but he just couldn't get comfortable with Ross' insistence that Jeff Ireland remain the final say on personnel.

Interesting.Thought the Dolphins threw enough at him to lure him there.Will be interesting to see if he changes a bit though. Not sure his keep games close with defense and running the ball will keep up in today's NFL. It can work in a few places...but can he build that in St. Louis.Always liked him though while he was here in TN. Good smart coach...but think some of his style of play became tough in the way the NFL changed.
FWIW, Schefter said it came down to Fisher preferring Miami for a lot of reasons, but he just couldn't get comfortable with Ross' insistence that Jeff Ireland remain the final say on personnel.
And I think this is a huge red flag in term's of Fisher's opinion of Bradford. At the very beginning, we heard that having a QB that he really liked was the most important factor to Fisher. That was a big reason he was thought of to be going to San Diego. Then they decide to keep Turner, so they're out of the mix. Then it was supposed to be a slam dunk that he'd go to St. Louis, because of all the pundits claiming they have a star at QB.The fact that Fisher would even consider Miami, and maybe even prefer it, really confirms a lot of my opinions about Bradford. Obviously Fisher will have no choice now but to talk up Bradford, but to me, this is another bad sign about Bradford's long-term prospect. That a great coach like Fisher wasn't in any hurry to hitch his star to his wagon.

After 2 years of starting, can we still call Bradford a prospect? At what point is it WYSIWYG.
I don't think we can, but I've been more down on Bradford than most everyone ever since college. That's not to say I think he stinks or even that I've completely made up my mind on him but I've never thought he was a franchise QB like most others.

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

I haven't been this happy to be Rams fan in almost a decade.
Just wait until they move back to LA. :excited: Seriously, Fisher's signing must mean he's confident the Rams are not moving, which is a good thing.

NFC West looking good. The new black and blue division.
Huh? Youdo realize Fisher is from Southern California and went to USC, right? If anything, it makes me wonder if he thinks they WILL go to L.A. Has to be enticing to a HC to think that you could be the HC in your childhood back yard.

Just wait until they move back to LA. :excited: Seriously, Fisher's signing must mean he's confident the Rams are not moving, which is a good thing.

Huh? Youdo realize Fisher is from Southern California and went to USC, right? If anything, it makes me wonder if he thinks they WILL go to L.A. Has to be enticing to a HC to think that you could be the HC in your childhood back yard.
It's been widely reported that one of Fisher's hangups with the Rams is the possibility that they might move to LA. I don't think he wants to go through another franchise relocation.

Dolphin owner wont relinquish player personnel control. With Fisher confirming this, I don't see how its a good thing as typically meddling owners are almost always a problem.
It was he won't let Fisher overule Ireland (the GM), I actually think that's a good thing. I don't think coaches having all the power is a good thing, you need a real GM and they have to work with the coach.

It's been widely reported that one of Fisher's hangups with the Rams is the possibility that they might move to LA. I don't think he wants to go through another franchise relocation.
People have speculated that (not exactly the same as reported). This exact question came up on Sirius radio about a month ago and the host of the show (who is a personal friend of Fisher's and used to have him on weekly when he coached the Titatns) said (paraphrasing here) "A lot of people seem to think that Jeff will shy away from a large market because he was in Tennessee so long and he seems "small town" to them because that's all they know of Fisher, but people need to remember he is an L.A. guy..went to school at USC...he's not shy of a big market."And, because he HAS went through the process of a franchise relocating, and did well with it, I would have to think an owner who MIGHT be thinking this will happen would be comfortable with hiring him. I'm not saying they are going to move; just think that if any of that is in the cards,that may have helped both Fisher and the owner feel a bit more ok with this.

That was 6-7 years ago & he had McNair for just a season or two later in his career, & like I said, the NFL has definitely changed (even since then). I believe most people knew what I meant, but maybe I should've made myself clearer.
LOL. My bad. Trying to work & post in the SP at the same time. :) That should've read Fisher had McNair for only a season or two later in his career when it started becoming evident (at least to me) throwing the ball was the superior route to a championship if you had the right guy. And it's changing more & more in that direction each & every season it seems like (again, unless you got a guy like Tebow that brings many other things to the table). In short, I'm simply saying Fisher will take advantage of the "new" NFL with a top QB prospect like Bradford. Bradford hasn't even touched the tip of his potential yet, IMO. Fisher will make sure Bradford gets the OL, receivers, & system he needs to succeed. I like this move a LOT for Bradford.

And the Fisher/McNair combo lasted through 2004.

People have speculated that (not exactly the same as reported). This exact question came up on Sirius radio about a month ago and the host of the show (who is a personal friend of Fisher's and used to have him on weekly when he coached the Titatns) said (paraphrasing here) "A lot of people seem to think that Jeff will shy away from a large market because he was in Tennessee so long and he seems "small town" to them because that's all they know of Fisher, but people need to remember he is an L.A. guy..went to school at USC...he's not shy of a big market."And, because he HAS went through the process of a franchise relocating, and did well with it, I would have to think an owner who MIGHT be thinking this will happen would be comfortable with hiring him. I'm not saying they are going to move; just think that if any of that is in the cards,that may have helped both Fisher and the owner feel a bit more ok with this.
I know he's from LA. That doesn't mean he's willing to go through a relocation just to get back there. Neither you nor I knows anything. I would assume NFL insiders on NFL Network do, and they've said Fisher had reservations about St. Louis because they might move to LA and he didn't want to go through that.

It was he won't let Fisher overule Ireland (the GM), I actually think that's a good thing. I don't think coaches having all the power is a good thing, you need a real GM and they have to work with the coach.
While I would agree with that... I had read were Fisher had an issue with owners control of the player moves... not the GMs.

Users who are viewing this thread