Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tommyGunZ

American Idol Season 11

1,609 posts in this topic

Haley was my fav last season and I really loved her tonight. So hot, sexy voice, sexy girl and the song was pretty damn good to boot.Nice performance.Man she is a looker big time.

:goodposting: :goodposting:
Hello, legs!

Haley was my fav last season and I really loved her tonight. So hot, sexy voice, sexy girl and the song was pretty damn good to boot.Nice performance.Man she is a looker big time.

meh I thought she sounded terrible and looked overly tanned
:goodposting:

Nice legs and cleavage was about it.

Well that was a huge injustice. Reminds me how much this show is capable of teh suck.

Judges already have in their mind who they would save. You could tell they were pissed that she was going because she's not on that list.

Judges already have in their mind who they would save. You could tell they were pissed that she was going because she's not on that list.

:goodposting: It was written all over their faces.

I obviously agree that Deandre and Heejun were horrible, but I really don't think it had to do with the "mood" of their performances. Maybe it's because I was a kid when these songs came out, but I don't remember Billy Joel singing seductively or with angst. These songs are pretty pop.

Just sayin'. :shrug:

I obviously agree that Deandre and Heejun were horrible, but I really don't think it had to do with the "mood" of their performances. Maybe it's because I was a kid when these songs came out, but I don't remember Billy Joel singing seductively or with angst. These songs are pretty pop.Just sayin'. :shrug:

Pop songs do have meanings in them.

I obviously agree that Deandre and Heejun were horrible, but I really don't think it had to do with the "mood" of their performances. Maybe it's because I was a kid when these songs came out, but I don't remember Billy Joel singing seductively or with angst. These songs are pretty pop.Just sayin'. :shrug:

Sure they do, but that doesn't mean they can't be upbeat. For most pop songs from the 80's it doesn't seem to me that the mood matches the lyrics.

Sure they do, but that doesn't mean they can't be upbeat. For most pop songs from the 80's it doesn't seem to me that the mood matches the lyrics.
Most of the Joel songs the Idols performed were from the 70s.

Well I was just using 80's pop as an example. Most of Billy Joel's music seems pretty upbeat to me as well, despite the lyrics or meaning of the song, "Only The Good Die Young" being a good example.

She was my favorite last year as well. :thumbup:
:no::tebow: PIA TOSCANO

When did American Idol jump the shark, you ask... When it added Tommy Hillfiger. Unwatchable.

It's pretty interesting to read the different opinions. Personally I can't stand Jessika or Joshua (as performers, not people). Both remind me of Mariah and Whitney (RIP) in that they seem to think every song has to be used to showcase their amazing talents. Just sing the damn song! That crap Joshua did near the end of his song last night was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I have no desire to ever listen to him sing anything. Phil doesn't have the "perfect" voice that these two have, but he's miles better then either of them when it comes to entertainment IMO.

Jessica is not my style of music at all. I am a rock guy all the way. However I can't deny what she has and that is a million dollar voice. When you throw around names like Mariah and Whitney with her......you get my point.She is that good and will make millions upon millions of dollars. She is $$$ in the bank and if I were a producer I would not hesitate to sign her and make a record right now. With her I know I will make a lot of money.Phillip is a great talent but a major risk IMO for a producer. He may or may not sell.Like I said earlier...his future is in touring year round and building a massive following. But he needs a killer band behind him too. He would be a new version of DMB simple as that. And nothing wrong with that either. There is a huge touring market out there for music that Phillip would bring to the table. When it comes to what this show is trying to do (create a viable record selling pop star) Jessica and Colton to me fit that bill perfectly along with Skylar in the country arena. Those three are $$$ makers.I am talking from the business perspective.
Maybe five idols have been big successes. It is unlikely that any of this group will be big from a business perspective. Lots of white guys with guitars, women with big voices, and gospel guys have come and gone. It's been a good tv show, but a very limited success-maker.
Hands down IMO Jessica has the biggest potential since Carrie Underwood. She is that good and has the total package. I agree with most of your post though.But considering this is season 11, 50% is a hell of a good batting average.Although some non-winners have become huge.Daughtry - has had great successJennifer Hudson - Huge.You have a better shot of winning the state lotto than becoming a major pop/rock star. So I am not surprised by the low amount of success stories from this show.
When I said five, I meant five contestants total. Only two winners have had their second album go platinum. Only four contestants total have had their second album go platinum. Hudson has had huge success but not as a recording artist (Kelly Pickler has sold more albums). Granted, she's only had two albums. As recording artists, Carrie Underwood is the only mega star, with Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry just behind. It's a very low percentage considering the exposure given. I think people want something different on a variety type TV show than they want in a recording artist. I think Jessica has a great voice but nobody is going to buy her stuff. She's not country and there are lots of big voices out there. She'll make good tv though. Skylar is the only one that has a chance to make $$$ as a singer.

Yep, told my wife they are saving it for DeandreTerrible

Noooooooo... no way.

Wow, I thought the complete opposite.I loved the song, and thought she looked great.

Noooooooo... no way.
Yep, they are infatuated with him.Just watch

Not a chance. They'll use it on Joshua, Phil, Jessica, Hollie or Colton...if any of them happen have a bad week.

Well I was just using 80's pop as an example. Most of Billy Joel's music seems pretty upbeat to me as well, despite the lyrics or meaning of the song, "Only The Good Die Young" being a good example.
I agree he has a lot of upbeat songs.

Wow, I thought the complete opposite.I loved the song, and thought she looked great.
Great to see Haley still eliciting reactions on both sides of the fence. :thumbup:

Not a chance. They'll use it on Joshua, Phil, Jessica, Hollie or Colton...if any of them happen have a bad week.
Agreed on the list. I think they will only use it if Deandre or Heejun are still in the competition.

I was wondering if Haley was ever going to come out of the cage. Reminded me of Derrick Smalls getting trapped in the incubation pod.

I'm like 98% sure Deandre and Hilfiger were flirting on national TV.

I don't typically like the music of any of these American Idols but there is something about this Colton guy that really makes my skin crawl. I really don't like this dude, he's boring as hell to boot.

For different reasons, I can't stand Skylar either. It's gotta be the Reba thing, that and she seems like such a hick to me.

Deandre actually seems like he would be a good talent with some coaching. He needs a lot of work and probably deserves to go home at any point but the guy can sing if he could get a little control. Tonight was his best performance that I've seen.

Phil Phillips is pretty good but it's the same thing every week.

Jessica by far is the best talent in this group and could go on to become a pretty good pop singer. If she doesn't win it, there is something wrong.

Quite a night - I thought everyone excelled in some way.

I agree with JTC that Sanchez is the favorite.

Not a single bad performance tonight. The only one who didn't do much for me was Hollie but she was still good.

Love Heejun this week and Jessica is a star in the making. Just incredible how she sold the story of the song.

Excellent, excellent night. I'm not sure I recall seeing a night this good overall. I really find it impossible to rank them this week, so here are just a few thoughts:

Jessica - still want to have her babies

Colton - liked him this week, thought the crying was weak

Joshua - probably the performance I liked the least, crying was weak

Skylar - she's good, but I just don't like the Reba stuff

Phil - vinegar strokes... where's Hoart? Has he posted this year or is he still out spending his millions from last year? I need to know if I should bet on this guy

Hollie - pretty good, I think we know what we've got at this point

Elise - great, rockin' performance, but the camera work was annoying the #### out of me.

Heejun - that's the Heejun I liked, great comeback, great voice, problem is I think those are the only kind of songs he can sing

Deandre - have to admit that was his best yet, I agree he could improve with coaching, but I still can't stand his voice/style

I haven't watched much at all this season, but I watched some of last nights show (mostly at the end). I hear the judges say "every performance was great" and now you guys are saying the same. I thought the ones I saw were mediocre at best. Tons of off-key wailing. The black dude who started crying during his performance I thought was bad. The only one I enjoyed was the last chick who did Zep. :shrug:

Deandre needs to sing 2 more songs before he gets booted:

Maxwell's "This Woman's Work"

EW&F "Reasons"

I don't typically like the music of any of these American Idols but there is something about this Colton guy that really makes my skin crawl. I really don't like this dude, he's boring as hell to boot.For different reasons, I can't stand Skylar either. It's gotta be the Reba thing, that and she seems like such a hick to me.Deandre actually seems like he would be a good talent with some coaching. He needs a lot of work and probably deserves to go home at any point but the guy can sing if he could get a little control. Tonight was his best performance that I've seen.Phil Phillips is pretty good but it's the same thing every week.Jessica by far is the best talent in this group and could go on to become a pretty good pop singer. If she doesn't win it, there is something wrong.

WOW.. We are quite the opposite here..Can't stand Deandre AT ALL. I'd rather listen to 1,000 people scrap their finger nails across chalkboards at the same time then listen to him sing the way he sang last night :yucky: Colton was difficult to hear last night as the background music and a REALLY bad background singer overwhelmed his soft singing style. But it still sounded good and last week he killed it so will give him a pass this week.I dislike Country Music but enjoy Sklar as I love the energy she puts behind her performances. I dislike Dave Mathews, but Phillp Phillp's voice is "smoky" and although this week wasn't great, last week's was and I could see myself listening to a CD of his.Elise was great last night. :thumbup: Jessica, IMO, should win this.. Overall the best talent.Hollie is WAY over head this year, and tired of Joshua always over "Gospelizing" every song. :thumbdown:

Phil - vinegar strokes... where's Hoart? Has he posted this year or is he still out spending his millions from last year? I need to know if I should bet on this guy

Phil has this on lockdown. I got him at +350 and Jessica at +700 four weeks ago (after results of semifinals). There's still tons of value on Phil at +200 right now.

I gotta say, I was bored with most of the night. Lots of bland karaoke goin on. Phil and Elise were the standouts. Sanchez and Colton kept my attention. But other than that, I was not impressed.

Deandre needs to get the #### off my screen pronto.

I watched the second hour which is the first I've really watched in 6 weeks.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal. They all sound like they are on a high school talent show. I think those of you that think this group is talented are forgetting some of the voices that have come from this show. Not to say everyone is going to be as powerful as clarkson or daughtry but this group is not good.

WAY to many standing ovations from the judges last night. I only saw 3 seasons with Simon, but I only recall him giving one (deserved) standing ovation to Adam Lambert for Mad World. He didn't even do it when Lambert sang Tracks of My Tears which had Smokey Robinson himself jumping out of his chair. Nobody was ovation worthy last night. Most were pretty good but come on.

Colton - I liked this performance. There are better pure singers in this competition, but his artistry will take him far

Skylar - possible bottom 3 cause it was a good night but she should be safe and if not saved

Hollie - a bit of an off and boring performance by her but still good. But I think she's definite bottom 3 with possibility of not being safe. But judges should save her

DeAndre - I'm not a big fan of this guy and don't think he has the chops of the guys he's compared to. Some good parts of this but he needs a lot of work and should be bottom 3. But misguided young girls (he's gotta play for the other team, no?) may keep him. Judges should not save him.

Heejun - much better than he has been but he still needs a vocal coach to work out some of his accent and phrasing. He should be bottom 3 and possibly out but if he wasn't in the past, I'm not sure he is this week.

Jessica - I liked the slowed version a lot. My wife didn't :shrug: I think it's because she's held to a higher standard now. She's still the best or at least top 3 to me

Joshua - he's got to be careful to not bore America with the overgospelizing everything just like Jacob did a year or two back. I'd like to hear him try to sing a smooth song with a couple powerful notes like something by Brian McKnight vs. trying to belt out every note of every song

Phil - I like this guy and always want to see what he does. I understand the DM comparisons because of his moves and expressions but I see him as more of a rock-blues/rock-jazz artist

Elise - by far my favorite Elise performance. She showed personality and dressed like a rock star instead of a frumpy middle aged hippy like she usually does. And the singing was great. I don't know that she has the confidence to be a solo or lead but she could be a cool part of a rock duo like a rock Lady Antebellum or something

Predicted bottom 3 - DeAndre, Skylar, Hollie (only because I think Heejun has voters in his pocket). Going home - Nobody. I will go out on a limb and say Hollie is voted out but judges rightfully save her.

I watched the second hour which is the first I've really watched in 6 weeks. Brutal. Absolutely brutal. They all sound like they are on a high school talent show. I think those of you that think this group is talented are forgetting some of the voices that have come from this show. Not to say everyone is going to be as powerful as clarkson or daughtry but this group is not good.

:goodposting:

Wild prediction....Jessica is gone tonight.

I don't typically like the music of any of these American Idols but there is something about this Colton guy that really makes my skin crawl. I really don't like this dude, he's boring as hell to boot.

He would be 100X better without the yodel wail he does.