What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***The Walking Dead Comic book version*** (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
Instead of clogging up the Walking Dead TV show thread with endless spoiler tag posts I figured an open discussion on the show as it relates to the source material would be a good thing. Special thanks again to Usual21 for posting links to download the comix and with his permission I'll add the links to this OP.

1-20

21-40

41-50

51-60

61-70

71-80

81-88

89-94

Survivors Guide (DO NOT read until after #84...spoilers!) and Michonne's Story

Rise of the Governor

Road To Woodbury

So where does the show go from here? It's just been renewed for a 3rd season. I'm hoping they leave the farm and expect they are on their way to the prison. I kinda think that the season finale will be the meeting with the Governor but will that be too much to cover in the time remaining this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans of the comic books may have some suspicions about where things are headed. In the books, Rick Grimes' band of survivors next happens upon a prison that they see as a possible refuge from walkers. That's all we'll say. Well, that AND Kirkman does confirm that one of our favorite characters from the comics, the Samurai sword-wielding Michonne will be introduced to the show. Not necessarily this season, though. "She was introduced pretty early on in Vol. 4 of the comic books," says Kirkman. "Whether we'll move that up or have it happen at a later date, we haven't figured out. But I will say that she's definitely going to be in the show eventually."

If Michonne isn't going to be in this season,....I don't think you can have The Governor. They were too intricately tied together.

I also think it'd be a stretch for Merle to be The Governor if the character appears at the end of this season. How longs the time frame been in regards to the story? It'd be a stretch to think that Merle escaped from the rooftop, stumbled onto the town, gained control and managed to get things back on its feet if the time frames only been a couple of months.

6 episodes remaining in this season is probably enough to get off the farm, get to the prison, maybe throw one or two things that aren't in the comic into the mix and then get into the whole "prison mystery" storyline. IIRC, they spent a lot of time at the prison before they met The Governor.

6 episodes remaining in this season is probably enough to get off the farm, get to the prison, maybe throw one or two things that aren't in the comic into the mix and then get into the whole "prison mystery" storyline. IIRC, they spent a lot of time at the prison before they met The Governor.
They (Rick, Glenn and Michonne) met the governor somewhat soon after getting to the prison when they went to investigate the crash site. It was after they cleared the prison out but before they got comfortable with farming and movies etc. After they were captured and tortured by the Gov., they all escaped and got back to the prison but not before Michonne destroys the governor.

The governor not only takes a long time to heal after they escaped but also decided to wait extra long before going to the prison to make sure their guard was down. Rick and crew spend I think almost two months at the prison after they escape before the governor comes to get them.

They (Rick, Glenn and Michonne) met the governor somewhat soon after getting to the prison when they went to investigate the crash site. It was after they cleared the prison out but before they got comfortable with farming and movies etc. After they were captured and tortured by the Gov., they all escaped and got back to the prison but not before Michonne destroys the governor.

The governor not only takes a long time to heal after they escaped but also decided to wait extra long before going to the prison to make sure their guard was down. Rick and crew spend I think almost two months at the prison after they escape before the governor comes to get them.
That's right. Good call. If that's the case, I'd imagine they could end this second season with them seeing the helicopter that led them to the Gov's town.

That's right. Good call. If that's the case, I'd imagine they could end this second season with them seeing the helicopter that led them to the Gov's town.
:goodposting: Yeah, I could see that. It would make a nice impact although it might be a little too reminiscent of 28 Days Later when they saw the plane. There's plenty to do in the prison to finish out this season.

I forgot about the Morales family in the show. It sounded in that interview in the show thread (the standalone soldier episode) that they might not shy away from standalone episodes. If so, maybe they hit us with the fate of that family that left in Season One.

I forgot about the Morales family in the show. It sounded in that interview in the show thread (the standalone soldier episode) that they might not shy away from standalone episodes. If so, maybe they hit us with the fate of that family that left in Season One.
Oh I totally forgot about them, good call. And there is always Morgan and his son that they could come back too as well for either a stand alone story or to integrate them into the cast.

Always thought that Morgan might make his way back and be a Tyrese type character. And go ahead and post the links if you'd like. I'll have the rest up soon.

Always thought that Morgan might make his way back and be a Tyrese type character. And go ahead and post the links if you'd like. I'll have the rest up soon.
Ugh, i will be real disapointed if they try and turn Morgan into Tyreese. I really think they need to bring in a new character and have him by Tyreese, and i really hope they do it. i haven't heard much mention of tyreese in the rumors, so we'll see. It will be disappointing if they don't incorporate some of his involvement in the storyAnd as for the Governor, I am on board with thinking trying to make Merle the Governor would be a mistake. You need someone who is really charismatic, and after reading Kirkman's book "Rise of the Governor" and watching the show, I could see them try and make Shane the Governor. that will only work if he leaves real early next season, and we don't see him then for a season or 2, but his character could fit the role better, and i have a feeling they like keeping Shane on the show

Ugh, i will be real disapointed if they try and turn Morgan into Tyreese. I really think they need to bring in a new character and have him by Tyreese, and i really hope they do it. i haven't heard much mention of tyreese in the rumors, so we'll see. It will be disappointing if they don't incorporate some of his involvement in the storyAnd as for the Governor, I am on board with thinking trying to make Merle the Governor would be a mistake. You need someone who is really charismatic, and after reading Kirkman's book "Rise of the Governor" and watching the show, I could see them try and make Shane the Governor. that will only work if he leaves real early next season, and we don't see him then for a season or 2, but his character could fit the role better, and i have a feeling they like keeping Shane on the show
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/TyreeseGives the name of the actor they have slated to play him.I thought they kept Shane to give him a big emotional send off ala Tyresse in the comic....maybe something they cook up just for the show. I can't see them having Carl kill him now.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/TyreeseGives the name of the actor they have slated to play him.I thought they kept Shane to give him a big emotional send off ala Tyresse in the comic....maybe something they cook up just for the show. I can't see them having Carl kill him now.
Whew. Not sure the guy looks like how i would have pictured Tyreese in the show, but I am just happy they didn't try and crowbar T-dog in as Tyreese. That is good because i wno't hate T-dog as much watching the show. And i agree about Carl not killing Shane now. That was a bigger part of the comic book too, but i think Kirkman and company can work out ways to fill in those gaps. And i hope they spend a full season with the prison then, there is some good stories in that one.

:thumbup: Love that idea. I can see it being Merle though. It doesn't have to be as organized and family-oriented a location like the comics. More to do with the stadium brawls and a bunch of bikers in some kind of secure location.

I think you will see this season end up at the prison and then the beginning of next season will be a six months later type of thing with a little catchup on what happend during that time. Then you can have the governor show up pretty early in the season.

I think you will see this season end up at the prison and then the beginning of next season will be a six months later type of thing with a little catchup on what happend during that time. Then you can have the governor show up pretty early in the season.
I hope not. The initial exploring of the prison, especially if they meet the locked up inmates, and the clearing of each section of the prison should be extremely interesting. I don't want to miss any of that and there is too much there to cover in a couple of episodes at the end of this season.

I hope not. The initial exploring of the prison, especially if they meet the locked up inmates, and the clearing of each section of the prison should be extremely interesting. I don't want to miss any of that and there is too much there to cover in a couple of episodes at the end of this season.
Oh, I wasnt saying they would get to the prison in the last episode. Maybe they get there with 3 episodes left and use those episodes to delve into the storyline. I just think there is going to be a jump forward at some point.

I plowed through the first 50 comics thanks to the help of a poster here and I see they are on issue 94ish at the comic book shop. I'm tempted to go and buy 51-94 on ebay.

So were the two that were killed last night from the Governor's compound?
I hope that doesn't mean they'll skip past the prison altogether.
Could mean they want to leave the farm and find a safer more secure location. Why didn't the two from philly come back? If everyone is infected?
I'm hoping they keep the Governor off until next season. So much to do in the prison.

I went a bought a few more novels so I'm a bit ahead from what's posted above. I plan on stopping by a picking up the rest of the series. So far the books >>> the TV series

So were the two that were killed last night from the Governor's compound?
I hope that doesn't mean they'll skip past the prison altogether.
I can't believe they will. So much cool stuff happened there. I think that those two guys were just a means by which to show Herschel that his train of thought was wrong; that he actually had something special in Rick's group, that there were other people out there that were potentially dangerous and that his farm and family, although safe against the undead...weren't safe against determined living people. I think this was the first example to show one of the main ideas of the books...that the living were more dangerous than the undead. Rick kind of hit it on the head in the show with his "nothing changed" speech.

I went a bought a few more novels so I'm a bit ahead from what's posted above. I plan on stopping by a picking up the rest of the series. So far the books >>> the TV series
I like the sheer harshness of the books, but enjoy the depth of the show. Plenty of room for both.

Oh, I wasnt saying they would get to the prison in the last episode. Maybe they get there with 3 episodes left and use those episodes to delve into the storyline. I just think there is going to be a jump forward at some point.
My guess would be they discover the prison in the 2nd to last episode as a teaser and the finale is them meeting the people there.

Question about this thread. Can we talk about the most up to date comic issues or only what's been posted?

Question about this thread. Can we talk about the most up to date comic issues or only what's been posted?
Good question. Maybe we should try and keep it somewhat relevant to the direction of the show. I'm up to #52 and clearly a lot has changed from where the show is now and I'm sure there is a lot more up to the current issues. But discussing the Governor or the prison or Michonne should be fine.I only started the thread because the TV show thread was starting to get cluttered with spoiler tags and thought maybe a seperate thread on the comics as they relate to the TV show would be interesting.

For those of you with tablets

I downloaded the files on my tablet and use an app called Perfect viewer to read them. Worked great!

I like the sheer harshness of the books, but enjoy the depth of the show. Plenty of room for both.
Harshness is an understatement. No WAY AMC lets them come close to what happens in the books.

'Dexter said:
Harshness is an understatement. No WAY AMC lets them come close to what happens in the books.
I'm curious to see how they handle Michonne. She's practically a superhero in the comics. They won't show it but will they imply that he rapes her? I'm not sure. Don't know where the show's line is yet.

Usual 21,

Thank you so much for these, they look awesome on my ipad.

Are there certain places online that I can download other comics from, for free?

So, i was wondering what everyone who has read the comic thought about Dale getting killed on the show. Pretty big move there, because Dale was in the story for a long time (not sure where everyone is at with the comics, so i think this is safe). Makes me think they will keep Darryl around for awhile. not thinking he would fill Dale's shoes, but they seem fine going away from the comic, even writing new storylines. I am surprised Shane has made it this long, and it will be interesting if they keep him around for awhile.

And if they introduce Tyreese soon, i wonder how he will fit in this group. If they have him like he was in the comic, he can easily make up for Shane leaving the show because i imagine people will love his character.

and i wonder how this group that Randall is a part of will fit in. A lot of people are thinking we'll see the Governor story line with it, but i think that would be a little too obvious. Would be better if they keep it like the comic where they have their own town.

And another thing i read was that the budget for the show is tight, and that is a reason why we haven;t seen the prison yet or a ton of zombies. not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but i think it would control the story a bit and how it play out

I'm curious to see how they handle Michonne. She's practically a superhero in the comics. They won't show it but will they imply that he rapes her? I'm not sure. Don't know where the show's line is yet.
I think who they cast as Michonne is one of the biggest deals for the show. If they miscast her, it could be a huge letdown. not sure who would be a good fit, but they have to make that right.

So, i was wondering what everyone who has read the comic thought about Dale getting killed on the show. Pretty big move there, because Dale was in the story for a long time (not sure where everyone is at with the comics, so i think this is safe). Makes me think they will keep Darryl around for awhile. not thinking he would fill Dale's shoes, but they seem fine going away from the comic, even writing new storylines. I am surprised Shane has made it this long, and it will be interesting if they keep him around for awhile. And if they introduce Tyreese soon, i wonder how he will fit in this group. If they have him like he was in the comic, he can easily make up for Shane leaving the show because i imagine people will love his character.and i wonder how this group that Randall is a part of will fit in. A lot of people are thinking we'll see the Governor story line with it, but i think that would be a little too obvious. Would be better if they keep it like the comic where they have their own town. And another thing i read was that the budget for the show is tight, and that is a reason why we haven;t seen the prison yet or a ton of zombies. not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but i think it would control the story a bit and how it play out
Dale isn't big loss for me because even though he was in the comics for a long time he wasn't really important (at least that's I perceived it).I don't understand the point of T-Dog's character if they bring in Tyreese. I'm thinking he may have bigger role once Michonne arrives.We don't know anything of Randall except what he's said so I don't see why he couldn't have been lying and actually be from the Governor's town.The budget is a big factor and why we see so many episodes without zombies. Unlike a lot of people I don't have a problem with that since it's an interesting enough story without much zombie killing.

I don't think they'll have any problem implying but we probably won't see much of it actually happening. I haven't seen it but there was a rape scene on Rescue Me.

So, i was wondering what everyone who has read the comic thought about Dale getting killed on the show. Pretty big move there, because Dale was in the story for a long time (not sure where everyone is at with the comics, so i think this is safe). Makes me think they will keep Darryl around for awhile. not thinking he would fill Dale's shoes, but they seem fine going away from the comic, even writing new storylines. I am surprised Shane has made it this long, and it will be interesting if they keep him around for awhile.

And if they introduce Tyreese soon, i wonder how he will fit in this group. If they have him like he was in the comic, he can easily make up for Shane leaving the show because i imagine people will love his character.

and i wonder how this group that Randall is a part of will fit in. A lot of people are thinking we'll see the Governor story line with it, but i think that would be a little too obvious. Would be better if they keep it like the comic where they have their own town.

And another thing i read was that the budget for the show is tight, and that is a reason why we haven;t seen the prison yet or a ton of zombies. not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but i think it would control the story a bit and how it play out
Dale isn't big loss for me because even though he was in the comics for a long time he wasn't really important (at least that's I perceived it).I don't understand the point of T-Dog's character if they bring in Tyreese. I'm thinking he may have bigger role once Michonne arrives.

We don't know anything of Randall except what he's said so I don't see why he couldn't have been lying and actually be from the Governor's town.

The budget is a big factor and why we see so many episodes without zombies. Unlike like a lot of people I don't have a problem with that since it's an interesting enough story without much zombie killing.
I have to think T-dog is done soon. the guys gets no lines and serves zero point on the show. Bring in another character or 2, and bye-bye T-bone. Feel bad for the guy, but they did nothing with his character. It is like they tries the shotgun approach with a couple of them, and they found that people loved Darryl so they kept him around, and maybe the same with Shane. I am not sure how well planned out this has been from season to season, but it seems like they are winging it from time to time and i agree with your thoughts on Dale. Maybe the only place where it would effect the actual story is with Andrea's character development. Beside that, he was in a lot of the pictures in the comic, but didn't really do much at all until his last days. And I don't know if they will put that part in the show, though i liked that story arc they took with that.

and i think we will see Morgan (forget the black guy's name in Rick's house, i think it was Morgan) and his kid at some point too, just not sure when. Maybe the 3rd season of the TV show? it would seem that if they let it go for too long it wouldn't fit as well as it seemed to in the comic

'cstu said:
'modogg said:
So, i was wondering what everyone who has read the comic thought about Dale getting killed on the show. Pretty big move there, because Dale was in the story for a long time (not sure where everyone is at with the comics, so i think this is safe). Makes me think they will keep Darryl around for awhile. not thinking he would fill Dale's shoes, but they seem fine going away from the comic, even writing new storylines. I am surprised Shane has made it this long, and it will be interesting if they keep him around for awhile. And if they introduce Tyreese soon, i wonder how he will fit in this group. If they have him like he was in the comic, he can easily make up for Shane leaving the show because i imagine people will love his character.and i wonder how this group that Randall is a part of will fit in. A lot of people are thinking we'll see the Governor story line with it, but i think that would be a little too obvious. Would be better if they keep it like the comic where they have their own town. And another thing i read was that the budget for the show is tight, and that is a reason why we haven;t seen the prison yet or a ton of zombies. not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but i think it would control the story a bit and how it play out
Dale isn't big loss for me because even though he was in the comics for a long time he wasn't really important (at least that's I perceived it).I don't understand the point of T-Dog's character if they bring in Tyreese. I'm thinking he may have bigger role once Michonne arrives.
Outside of being black, there is no similarity between TDog and Tyreese from a character stand point. Tyresse was 15-20 years older with a 18 year oldish daughter.

I agree that Dale isn't a loss. I never really liked his TV character even though he tried to bring a balance to the group from just surviving to the civility they had before the zombies apocalypse. With his death there's no check any more and I think we'll see the group become more survivilistic (is that even a word?). In the book he always just seemed liked he was there and the whole hook up with andrea was just okay.

Everyone seems to want the group to move on to the prison in the TV show, but to me that'll just be like the farm. Yeah some good stuff happens like the arrival of Michone and the governor along with Dexter and the other Cons. If they stay at the prison in relation to their time at the Farm hell it could go 2-3 seasons.

I'm curious how and if AMC will tackle 3 things and in order of least likley

#1 The death of Lori and the baby: If they do put this in the show will it be from the governor attack or something else?

Carl losing an eye: Are they really going to show a child getting shot in the eye
I don't know if the rest of you have made it to issue 85...

#3 The one twin decent into animal mutilation and eventually murder and on the flip side Carl killing the murder.

Dale, Shane and Rick have all be amalgamated for the show.....with Dale taking some of the "we still need to keep who we are" that Rick had in the book. Rick lost that pretty quickly in the books....so Dale in the show was pretty expendable; with the only real loss being in the relationship with Andrew category (and since they didn't go down that path on the show...he didn't really matter).

'cstu said:
'modogg said:
Outside of being black, there is no similarity between TDog and Tyreese from a character stand point. Tyresse was 15-20 years older with a 18 year oldish daughter.
In comic she hooked up with a black guy so it's not exactly a stretch to think they'd do it on the show. However, T-Dog doesn't seem like someone Michonne would be into.

I agree that Dale isn't a loss. I never really liked his TV character even though he tried to bring a balance to the group from just surviving to the civility they had before the zombies apocalypse. With his death there's no check any more and I think we'll see the group become more survivilistic (is that even a word?). In the book he always just seemed liked he was there and the whole hook up with andrea was just okay.Everyone seems to want the group to move on to the prison in the TV show, but to me that'll just be like the farm. Yeah some good stuff happens like the arrival of Michone and the governor along with Dexter and the other Cons. If they stay at the prison in relation to their time at the Farm hell it could go 2-3 seasons.I'm curious how and if AMC will tackle 3 things and in order of least likley#1 The death of Lori and the baby: If they do put this in the show will it be from the governor attack or something else?#2

Carl losing an eye: Are they really going to show a child getting shot in the eye
I don't know if the rest of you have made it to issue 85...#3 The one twin decent into animal mutilation and eventually murder and on the flip side Carl killing the murder.

#1 had major impact on Rick's character and the rest of the storyline but you never know with the show since real actors aren't as easy to kill off.#2 I never liked that so I'd be happy if they skipped it.#3 This was huge event for Carl's character and would make for some great TV, but killing kids on TV isn't a popular thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread