What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor on ESPNNFL: DMac on the trading block? (1 Viewer)

Scooby1974

Footballguy
Any of you guys ESPN NFL Insiders? Any truth to this RUMOR?

What would happen to Bush's value if DMac was given his walking papers? Is that even feasible contract wise? It seems like DMac's value has tanked to a degree, due to concerns over his consistent injury issues.

At the same time, Bush will walk and leave them without a thumper whereas Taiwan Jones can help to fill the need for a lanky, fast RB that gets hurt fairly often. ;)

McFadden on the block?

9:33AM ET

Darren McFadden | Raiders

Email

Comments5

Might Reggie McKenzie make a big move in his first offseason?

Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor insider

Last edited by a moderator:
Speculation.It all came from this Twitter exchange.

@GlennRecon: @CorkOnTheNFL do you see RM trading players to get picks for this years draft?” -- Yes, and McFadden is best bargaining chip.

A move like this has been speculated around the Raider boards. But who knows what Mckenzie will do? That's why it's all one big "rumor". Personally, I think McFadden could draw a late first rounder in return, and Bush is probably walking regardless. The next dominoe may be Marshawn Lynch who went to Cal and has ties to Northern California. Could he rotate back to Oakland? His price is said to be fairly low, but let's see if Seattle will show him any love.

McKenzie might deal us into the first round, then turn around and deal us back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, going for quantity over quality. It won't be your typical Al Davis draft or draft types, that's for sure.

A move like this has been speculated around the Raider boards. But who knows what Mckenzie will do? That's why it's all one big "rumor". Personally, I think McFadden could draw a late first rounder in return, and Bush is probably walking regardless. The next dominoe may be Marshawn Lynch who went to Cal and has ties to Northern California. Could he rotate back to Oakland? His price is said to be fairly low, but let's see if Seattle will show him any love. McKenzie might deal us into the first round, then turn around and deal us back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, going for quantity over quality. It won't be your typical Al Davis draft or draft types, that's for sure.
Cleveland may be interested in McFadden for their 2nd 1st rder.

Raiders | Michael Bush could receive franchise tag Wed Jan 25, 09:26 AM

There is a strong chance Oakland Raiders impending free-agent RB Michael Bush receives the franchise tag in the offseason as RB Darren McFadden can't be trusted to make it through an entire season healthy.

A move like this has been speculated around the Raider boards. But who knows what Mckenzie will do? That's why it's all one big "rumor". Personally, I think McFadden could draw a late first rounder in return, and Bush is probably walking regardless. The next dominoe may be Marshawn Lynch who went to Cal and has ties to Northern California. Could he rotate back to Oakland? His price is said to be fairly low, but let's see if Seattle will show him any love. McKenzie might deal us into the first round, then turn around and deal us back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, going for quantity over quality. It won't be your typical Al Davis draft or draft types, that's for sure.
Running backs rarely garner interest at the first round pick level. Given that he's already missed 19 games in his 4 year career, I am not sure teams would offer up a 1st round pick.

Running backs rarely garner interest at the first round pick level. Given that he's already missed 19 games in his 4 year career, I am not sure teams would offer up a 1st round pick.
Browns also have 2.05, that may be enough.

:goodposting: IF some team could figure out how to get 16 games out of him, they would do it...but that is such a big if I would not see anyone giving anything more than a late 2nd for him.I don't see teams spending picks in the first round and a half on a RB who has been in the league for a while and can't stay healthy.

Raiders | Michael Bush could receive franchise tag Wed Jan 25, 09:26 AM There is a strong chance Oakland Raiders impending free-agent RB Michael Bush receives the franchise tag in the offseason as RB Darren McFadden can't be trusted to make it through an entire season healthy.
Awesome. I have 2 keeper spots @ RB and only Rice would qualifiy for me right now. Bush as my #2 would be better than nothing as long as DMac is gone.

Raiders | Michael Bush could receive franchise tag Wed Jan 25, 09:26 AM There is a strong chance Oakland Raiders impending free-agent RB Michael Bush receives the franchise tag in the offseason as RB Darren McFadden can't be trusted to make it through an entire season healthy.
There is a strong chance that this isnt based on anything mire than idle speculation.I will bet anyone Bush isn't franchised, and I will give odds.

I'll admit it ... I was completely lost when I first started reading this thread. I thought ...

who would trade for Donovan McNabb?

why would Donovan McNabb getting traded effect Reggie Bush's value? Wait ... did McNabb end up on the Dolphins when I wasn't paying attention?

OK ... I'm caught up now. Carry on.

There is a strong chance that this isnt based on anything mire than idle speculation.I will bet anyone Bush isn't franchised, and I will give odds.
not saying it will happen, just posting the rumor

IF some team could figure out how to get 16 games out of him, they would do it...but that is such a big if I would not see anyone giving anything more than a late 2nd for him.I don't see teams spending picks in the first round and a half on a RB who has been in the league for a while and can't stay healthy.
Lot of hyperbole. Fact is he's still only 24 yo. He's an elite runner among a handful of the best at his position. Yes, he's been oft-injured. But they aren't career threatening or debilitating injuries. Just bad luck. His age and talent is worth a late first rounder, certainly no lower than an early 2nd. Fred Taylor had the rep as "fragile fred" and overcame that dubius nickname with some career rebounding numbers. And he was much older than DMC when he produced. You are seriously undervaluing DMC here.

As a M Bush, owner, I'd hope this is the case. What leads you to think in that direction? (not disagreeing, just want to know whether to get my hopes up a little even.)

Imagine a healthy DMC on the Packers.
*SIGH*....While I was at it, I imagined winning the lottery, solving world peace, and thought about what it would be like to add McCoy and Foster to my roster for two rookie 3rd round draft picks. :P

As a M Bush, owner, I'd hope this is the case. What leads you to think in that direction? (not disagreeing, just want to know whether to get my hopes up a little even.)
Not many backs get franchised, and Bush is not a franchise back. Just so we are clear, both of these 'rumors' aren't rumors, they are simply a beat reporter thinking out loud, answering questions, and nothing more. Nine of this is based on a source. This is the downside of Twitter.

Raiders | Michael Bush could receive franchise tag Wed Jan 25, 09:26 AM

There is a strong chance Oakland Raiders impending free-agent RB Michael Bush receives the franchise tag in the offseason as RB Darren McFadden can't be trusted to make it through an entire season healthy.
Not many backs get franchised, and Bush is not a franchise back. Just so we are clear, both of these 'rumors' aren't rumors, they are simply a beat reporter thinking out loud, answering questions, and nothing more. Nine of this is based on a source.

This is the downside of Twitter.
Not entirely sure I agree with you.

Bush will be 28 at the beginning of the season. I see the franchise tag being a useful tool to keep him in place for a year while they see if DMac can stay healthy, what they have in Taiwan Jones (or next back drafted). McKenzie's philosophy will likely be very different than Davis so who knows what they plan to do.

Any idea what Allen's preference for the offense will be or do we see McKenzie making that call and letting him focus on the D?

Not to mention when the past "GM" gave up so much for Palmer you have to be willing to trade what you can while you can if it improves the overall team.

A move like this has been speculated around the Raider boards. But who knows what Mckenzie will do? That's why it's all one big "rumor". Personally, I think McFadden could draw a late first rounder in return, and Bush is probably walking regardless. The next dominoe may be Marshawn Lynch who went to Cal and has ties to Northern California. Could he rotate back to Oakland? His price is said to be fairly low, but let's see if Seattle will show him any love.

McKenzie might deal us into the first round, then turn around and deal us back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, going for quantity over quality. It won't be your typical Al Davis draft or draft types, that's for sure.
No chance.

IF some team could figure out how to get 16 games out of him, they would do it...but that is such a big if I would not see anyone giving anything more than a late 2nd for him.

I don't see teams spending picks in the first round and a half on a RB who has been in the league for a while and can't stay healthy.
Lot of hyperbole. Fact is he's still only 24 yo. He's an elite runner among a handful of the best at his position. Yes, he's been oft-injured. But they aren't career threatening or debilitating injuries. Just bad luck. His age and talent is worth a late first rounder, certainly no lower than an early 2nd. Fred Taylor had the rep as "fragile fred" and overcame that dubius nickname with some career rebounding numbers. And he was much older than DMC when he produced. You are seriously undervaluing DMC here.
You, as a Raider fan, are seriously over-valuing the market for RBs. When was the last time a veteran RB was traded for a first round pick?Not to mention who's to say his foot injury isn't a debilitating injury. I know Hue Jackson said it wasn't, but what would you expect him to say?

Bush will be 28 at the beginning of the season. I see the franchise tag being a useful tool to keep him in place for a year while they see if DMac can stay healthy, what they have in Taiwan Jones (or next back drafted). McKenzie's philosophy will likely be very different than Davis so who knows what they plan to do.Any idea what Allen's preference for the offense will be or do we see McKenzie making that call and letting him focus on the D?Not to mention when the past "GM" gave up so much for Palmer you have to be willing to trade what you can while you can if it improves the overall team.
Franchise tag will cost upwards of $8 million. Bush looked great at the start of his string of games subbing for DMAC, but looked like he wore down as he approached 1,000 yards. I think he’s best suited to in a RBBC in tandem with a true feature back limiting his carries, but preserving his power. I just don’t think he’s a RB that can be relied on as a “true” feature back over a season, so I doubt he will be franchised. There are other backs who are younger and slipperier (i.e. avoid injury) and who are also cheaper than a franchise one year deal. I think Bush will get a nice 2 or 3 year deal for $4 million a year, maybe $8 million guaranteed. Would the Raiders make such an offer? Don’t think so. Allen is a defensive coach and will probably hire/retain current OC Al Saunders and maybe Bob Wylie on the offensive side. I think McKenzie is going to try to streamline Allen’s duties and keep him focused on the defense. Hiring his new DC is a critical hire and you can bet that he will work with that DC much the same way that Hue did with Saunders on the offensive side. As far as what deals that have been done by the previous regime, I think McKenzie is going to try to make lemonade as best as he can. I don’t see where Terrelle Pryor fits anymore. I could see him dealt if the coaching staff feels that it can’t convert his skills to another skill position. But throw out any preconceived notion that “so & so” cost us so much, we must trade them now for what we can get. That’s panic talk. I don’t see McKenzie as a panic move GM.

When was the last time a veteran RB was traded for a first round pick?

Not to mention who's to say his foot injury isn't a debilitating injury. I know Hue Jackson said it wasn't, but what would you expect him to say?
Veteran bolded meaning something other than a 24 yo?We all know by now the joke was on us regarding Hue and his spin stories. Any RB can have an injury can mark the apex of his career. I don't think DMC's injuries are anything but nicks that can and will be fully recovered from, and his talent is top tier. And by pegging his potential trade value, I'm just saying that one or two out of 31 other teams has to want him that much. As the draft approaches, and DMC's health improves, the picture will be clearer.

If Bush doesn't come back /get franchised and they trade DMC, they will have Taiwan Jones as the scat back and Marcel Reece as the big back still on the roster.

Franchise tag will cost upwards of $8 million.
The method to determine franchise tag values has changed with the new CBA. In the past, a franchise tag was derived from averaging the top five salaries at a particular position from the previous season. The new formula is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.The net result is the franchise numbers for all positions will drop some. Last year's franchise number for RBs was $9.6 million. This year it will be $7.7 million. That's still a fair amount to pay for Bush.

I could see them using the franchise tag. Pretty similar situation to when San Diego used it on Sproles who was no more a "franchise" back than Bush.

While I generally think the franchise tag is pretty fair for both player and team, the one position that isn't true with is RBs. They have such short careers anyway and the injury risk is so high, that it ends up being a pretty crappy situation for the player. Especially since the window of true big money value after their rookie contracts is so short anyway.

When was the last time a veteran RB was traded for a first round pick?

Not to mention who's to say his foot injury isn't a debilitating injury. I know Hue Jackson said it wasn't, but what would you expect him to say?
Veteran bolded meaning something other than a 24 yo?We all know by now the joke was on us regarding Hue and his spin stories. Any RB can have an injury can mark the apex of his career. I don't think DMC's injuries are anything but nicks that can and will be fully recovered from, and his talent is top tier. And by pegging his potential trade value, I'm just saying that one or two out of 31 other teams has to want him that much. As the draft approaches, and DMC's health improves, the picture will be clearer.
He's still an injury prone RB who makes nearly $6M a year. While it's possible someone might pony up a high pick I don't think it will happen.

The Pats have two late #1's and two #2's...not going to happen but putting him in that offense would be dynamic...

Mac is too brittle to give up too much. Be a great fit for the Packers with his pass catching out of the backfield.

DMC coming off injury??? :lmao: 3rd pick at best?? RB's are inherent for poor longevity and are easily replaceable. I can't think of a worse position to expend a 1st rd pick via trade or draft selection.

As a Bush owner, I would like to believe this, but I don't. First, it wouldn't make sense to trade DMAC until you secure Bush, otherwise you just give Bush more leverage in negotiations. I guess it is possible that McKenzie has his eye on another back though. Still, DMac is the one explosive player in that offense, and although he IS an injury risk, he is the last person I would want to trade if I were the GM.

As a Bush owner, I would like to believe this, but I don't. First, it wouldn't make sense to trade DMAC until you secure Bush, otherwise you just give Bush more leverage in negotiations. I guess it is possible that McKenzie has his eye on another back though. Still, DMac is the one explosive player in that offense, and although he IS an injury risk, he is the last person I would want to trade if I were the GM.
Is 10-12 games of DMAC worth more than 16 of Bush? That is the question.

Since we are talking rumors, Pat Kirwin was musing on Sirius recently about the possibility of the Raiders moving Palmer to recoup some picks. He speculated that Seattle or Miami might be destinations IF the Raiders made such as move.

Mac is too brittle to give up too much. Be a great fit for the Packers with his pass catching out of the backfield.
Green Bay had two RBs who averaged over 4 yards per carry (100+ carries), and one of those averaged 14.1 yards per reception. They might be slightly more interested in doing something about their #32 ranked defense.

Why would you deal DMC??

You would never get back in a trade what he is actually worth to your team.

He is more valuable if you just keep him.

When he plays he is a top performer.....period.

Defences have to plan around him.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The guy has a lot of talent, but he has never been able to stay healthy since entering the NFL.

Mike Bush is the modern day Lamont Jordan.

Maybe he's got a modest year in him as the primary guy (which you could say was this past year given McFadden was injured most of it)

IF some team could figure out how to get 16 games out of him, they would do it...but that is such a big if I would not see anyone giving anything more than a late 2nd for him.I don't see teams spending picks in the first round and a half on a RB who has been in the league for a while and can't stay healthy.
The problem was that every year that Fragile Fred got injured was a year that someone took him saying "last year(s) was just bad luck and people are undervaluing him". Did you correctly predict which years Taylor did and didn't get hurt? I didn't. So it's still all about the timing. If you take him the year he doesn't get hurt, you make out like a bandit because the injury risk depressed his price. But if you take him in a year that he gets injured, he still hurts you because his upside keeps his price high enough that it hurts to not get anything out of that pick. His price will settle into that gray area that makes him a boom/bust gamble.

'Autumn Wind said:
'az_prof said:
Is 10-12 games of DMAC worth more than 16 of Bush? That is the question.
Well, if I were the GM I would not use DMAC as the exclusive back--he would split touches with another back, 50/50, to keep him as healthy as possible. I think they could draft another back if Taiwan isn't that complementary guy to replace Bush. Or, they could get another veteran FA for a bit cheaper. That's what I would do. I guess if you could get a first round pick for him maybe I would trade him, but it would take a better deal than I imagine anyone would offer. No one wants to give up a first round pick for a RB in general, and especially one who is coming off a questionable injury.

DMAC is a special talent. I could see a pick-rich team like the Pats "overpaying" to get him (assuming he passes a physical).

What I can't figure it is WHY the Raiders want to trade him??? Makes me concerned about his health and dynasty outlook going forward. If the raiders are choosing bush over him doesn't that say a lot? People point out that the raiders could use a draft pick, but seriously what is a draft pick compared to McFadden from 2010. Makes me conclude that the raiders don't think he will return to 2010 form. And they are the team that knows him the best.

Since we are talking rumors, Pat Kirwin was musing on Sirius recently about the possibility of the Raiders moving Palmer to recoup some picks. He speculated that Seattle or Miami might be destinations IF the Raiders made such as move.
huh? didn't they just pay a boatload for him last year?

What I can't figure it is WHY the Raiders want to trade him??? Makes me concerned about his health and dynasty outlook going forward. If the raiders are choosing bush over him doesn't that say a lot? People point out that the raiders could use a draft pick, but seriously what is a draft pick compared to McFadden from 2010. Makes me conclude that the raiders don't think he will return to 2010 form. And they are the team that knows him the best.
It's just a rumor at this point.

huh? didn't they just pay a boatload for him last year?
It was crazy Hue Jackson who is no longer affiliated with the team that did it. If the new regime is not a beleiver in Palmer and they can recoup a first or second rounder back it could make sense to cut their losses a little. Of course it would then leave a hole at QB - but maybe they re-sign Jason Campbell and bring him back. Palmer really wasn't any better than he was.

Users who are viewing this thread