What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL2 Draft Comments Thread (1 Viewer)

5 QBs in the first and there's still 4 picks to go. Will there be more qbs or rbs taken in the first?

Last edited by a moderator:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Drafting QBs early has been the correct strategy fro years. people just now catching up
Hope that holds true as I took Stafford with my first pick at 1.12. If he can just stay healthy,along with Megatron,maybe he can have another year numbers wise as 2011.Tremendous if he can improve on last year but it'll be difficult for sure. I just thought Stafford was the best pick for me at 12 with what was available and the players with question marks and injuries.

Drafting QBs early has been the correct strategy fro years. people just now catching up
Hope that holds true as I took Stafford with my first pick at 1.12. If he can just stay healthy,along with Megatron,maybe he can have another year numbers wise as 2011.Tremendous if he can improve on last year but it'll be difficult for sure. I just thought Stafford was the best pick for me at 12 with what was available and the players with question marks and injuries.
Amazing how much Stafford has moved up the boards. Last year in WSL4 I got Stafford at pick 6.05. It helps that he was able to stay healthy for a full year. He always had the ability, people just had questions as to whether he would stay healthy for a full year or not.

Amazing how much Stafford has moved up the boards. Last year in WSL4 I got Stafford at pick 6.05. It helps that he was able to stay healthy for a full year. He always had the ability, people just had questions as to whether he would stay healthy for a full year or not.
Yeah, he's moved up the boards pretty good since his production last year and certainly staying healthy helped him immensely. He is a big risk/big reward type guy but I figured with the QB's that were still available I was willing to take the risk. Now what I'll have to do is make sure I back him up with a decent 2nd QB later on.

Took McFadden at 2.05. I think that's a decent pick for him at that spot even though he was out from week 7 on with an injury.He really only played 6 full weeks & had 768 total yds./5 TD's. If he can manage to get through a whole season avoiding the injury bug I think he's more than capable of putting up good RB1 stats. He could even be a top 5 RB. I know,I know, he's a talented rb that has problems staying healthy and he's a risk. So are a lot of other rb's. It's not easy having him as my RB1 knowing he hasn't played a whole 16 game season in his career. He did miss time in 2010 yet managed 1664 total yds and 10 td's. Not bad. He had 2 pretty good ones last year with one game of 150 yds & another for 171 yds. I coulda went with a safer pick at rb but I feel he's gonna put together a good 2011 season with very good production. He'll only be 25 in Aug. Rumors as well they might try and trade him. If they do he should still be the #1 RB for whatever team he goes to.

My first 2 picks have been high risk/high reward guys. Probably not the best way to start a draft but what the hell, I'll gamble on them. Could pay off big in the end or get me booted pretty early. So I'll definitely have to concentrate on picking good upside players to help offset the risk picks.

After 3 rounds I have 1 RB and 2 WR. Missed out on Jordy, but feel confident I have the #1 RB in ppr and have 2 WR's that will be the leading targets on their respective teams next year.

After 3 rounds I have 1 RB and 2 WR. Missed out on Jordy, but feel confident I have the #1 RB in ppr and have 2 WR's that will be the leading targets on their respective teams next year.
You may well be right. I was REALLY hoping Jordy would slip to me at 2.16. Taking Cruz was a bit of a risk, but I like the blowup-week guys more in this format than consistency from any one player. Ray Rice was basically a homer pick but if he finishes top 5, I'm happy.

Calvin Johnson

Jordy Nelson

Tony Romo

Well, my quick Pre-draft plan was: "Ok Got the 4th pick, jot down 4 names you want:

Ray Rice

Lesaun McCoy

Arian Foster

Aaron Rogers

And then, as I often do when my pick comes up, I proceeded to type in someone else and had immediate buyers remorse. Only because of the inconsistency of WR's and health issues - had a lot of Andre Johnson last year and that turned out not so well.

Love Calvin and noted the annual BSS comment about QB's early but, as much as I agree with getting a QB, you look back at last year and teams got Brady in the 3rd and Romo in the 4th, so, as always, it's more about what you can get later and I just quickly thought I'd have a better WR/QB combo getting my QB later.

While I think we're still in a decent tier of similar QB's on my lists I grabbed Romo over the rest due to his weapons and IMO the overall better offense. Looking at last years stats I think some QB's played as well as can be setting new records while Romo can still improve.

1.13 - Chris Johnson, RB TEN

2.04 - Roddy White, WR ATL

3.13 - Dwayne Bowe, WR KC

4.04 - Jermichael Finley, TE GB

I kind of like my start here from the 13 slot......and I'm sure I'll feel that way until bye weeks are posted.

1.11 Valence Wes Welker, WR2, NE

2.06 Valence Darren Sproles, RB8, NOS

3.11 Valence Michael Vick, QB9, PHI

4.06 Valence Brandon Pettigrew, TE9, DET

I feel like I probably reached a bit on Sproles and Vick. If I had known that Matt Ryan would still be available at 4.06 I definitely would have went Witten or VD at 3.11. Probably should have anyway.

1.13 - Chris Johnson, RB4 TEN

2.04 - Roddy White, WR6 ATL

3.13 - Dwayne Bowe, WR18 KC

4.04 - Jermichael Finley, TE7 GB

5.13 - LeGarrette Blount, RB23 TB

Almost went another direction with my 5th round pick, but could not pass on Blount (as RB's are getting thin.) I don't think he would have made it back around the corner for my next pick.

1.04 Reaper Calvin Johnson, WR1, DET

2.13 Reaper Jordy Nelson, WR10, GB

3.04 Reaper Tony Romo, QB7, DAL

4.13 Reaper Ahmad Bradshaw, RB17, NYG

5.04 Reaper Jonathan Stewart, RB20, CAR

6.13 Reaper Owen Daniels, TE, HOU

7.04 Reaper Peyton Hillis, RB, CLE

Just looking at players I missed out on... Before the draft I targeted Trent Richardson for the 4th round. He did last that long in WSL3.

My fallback was Demarco Murray who was also snagged leaving me with Ahmad Bradshaw who worries me healthwise.

Love the Carson Palmer pick in the 7th. Would have had to strongly consider that pick. I've been Anti-Palmer for the longest time but, now with his situation and year 2 in OAK with the weapons they have I think he's a great QB2 in this format - he'll put up some big games.

Also liked Shonne Green at 6.05.... Now, I don't think I have ever Owned Shonne Green and Fantasy wise I've been one of his biggest critics when I've seen some sites rank him pretty high, I think one had him as "Pick of the year" last year. My reasoning is that he lacks break away speed and doesn't catch the ball so, no thanks - But, now getting drafted in the 6th round w/16 teams as one of, if not the last starting RB's drafted? I smell some value. I think this Jet offense is going to be more meat and potatoes - more Shonne Green and less Schottenheimer trickery. Pretty good pick in this format, especially considering I wound up with Peyton Hillis and all the RB's picked after Shonne green have alot more questions when it comes to day 1 opportunity at this point.

Also hoped Roy Helu fell - I see his ranking all over the place and the FBG dynasty ranking have him pretty low but, IMO his ceiing is sky high. With any other HC he's probably targeted higher than this.

I "lucked out" around the 6/7 bend - Was targeting a TE and Peyton Hillis, and went TE. 3 TE's were drafted and I still got Hillis - Not sure how excited I should be about that. He's a guy I doubted 2 years ago, he ran over some of my teams convincing me and then laid an egg last year - can a guy dissapear that fast - he catches the ball, the offense is improved. Again though I felt a big drop in RB's this round with my targets off the board.... Supposedly they want him back. :shrug:

Reaper Bradshaw worries you healthwise but Murray doesn't?
Sounds to me like Bradshaw has issues in his foot that will never be cleared up and is something he will have to deal with that hopefully doesn't get much worse.Murray sounds ahead of schedule on a break - Plus he's the "New Toy" on the block that Dallas sounds committed too...

WOW.....the Cam Newton effect is outragous...a rookie QB taken in the 8th?
I figured I'd take a chance on him as my #2 QB since I'm feeling more & more convinced Manning will be gone and Luck starts from day one. Even as highly touted as Luck has been I'm not expecting Cam-like numbers from him this year, but I'll take them if by chance it happens. I think he'll have some big games but have his struggles too. After seeing what players were still available at the offensive positions I figured Luck offered me the best value and potential at 8.05. Sure he comes with risk, especially if Manning stays, but I'm willing to accept that risk. I think he'll prove to be a decent pick for the 8th round.See that someone else believes in a rookie QB as RG3 went right after my Luck pick. I think he stands a good chance of starting right away for whatever team he goes to. No doubt some team is gonna want to trade up to #2 to get him.

I have bit of a mancrush on RG3 and was targeting him all along for QB2. I was hoping Luck wouldn't go until the 9th or 10th as he was my trigger for when to take RG3, but I wasn't willing to risk RG3 falling to the late 9th so took him directly after Luck went.

I think his upside is higher or at least equal to any of the remaining quarterbacks so I am not uncomfortable having a rookie (as long as he is starting and I can't imagine RG3 won't be starting pretty early) as my backup. Last year Dalton was on my SSL2 championship team backing up Rivers and that turned out pretty well. I did take Dalton much later than the 8th round however iirc.

Wow, the last 5 picks in round 8 have been QB's. Wonder if that trend continues? Not sure who all needs a 2nd QB yet. I think all 5 should have good years. Even Flynn, wherever he goes and I think Locker ends up the Titans starting QB sooner than some think.

Looks like 6 QB's taken in a row in the 8th round.

Everybody scared of Peyton? Surprised at some of the guys who went ahead of him.
I was going to take him if he would have fell a little more to me. After that QB run, Gabbart was the only one left that I felt comfortable with as being almost guaranteed a starting position next year.You guys are making this draft hard, but a lot of fun. :thumbup:

Not scared of Peyton. Had my eye on him. Wanted to pick him up in the 8th but felt I should wait a little longer. Nice pick Aaron.

Not sure why Gamma taking Tebow and myself taking Flynn set off that run but I'm sure glad I was at the front end of it. I wasn't sure a run would occur, but when looking at the rosters at the beginning of the 8th round I noticed that both "end" teams were already holding their QB2. I knew it was a possibility that most of the QB's available would be gone by the time I picked again. So, I took Flynn on a whim, thinking that he may end up in Miami. Of course, Peyton could end up there also so I don't know if that move will pay off. I also thought Flynn would be a safer pick than a rookie, but I really don't hold much faith in that either.

BTW, I've never seen a QB run like that in these mocks before.......ever. At least, not smack in the middle of the 8th round.

Everybody scared of Peyton? Surprised at some of the guys who went ahead of him.
I think it's the risk/reward - if you already have a very solid #1, Peyton is all risk - he won't improve your QB score all that much, but he could fail to cover your bye. If your #1 is shakier, Peyton is a lot more reward - could be your #1 in the 8th - so the risk is tolerable. That's why I opted for Fitz over him. In a redraft, Peyton is still in my top 10-15 QBs on upside alone.Also, reading between the lines, Peyton doesn't seem that close to playing right now, and no one can say if he'll make progress. It's not like a torn ACL where we know the general timeline. Certainly, these drafts are terrific for seeing where the conventional wisdom is, and it is obviously down on Peyton.

Not scared of Peyton. Had my eye on him. Wanted to pick him up in the 8th but felt I should wait a little longer. Nice pick Aaron.Not sure why Gamma taking Tebow and myself taking Flynn set off that run but I'm sure glad I was at the front end of it. I wasn't sure a run would occur, but when looking at the rosters at the beginning of the 8th round I noticed that both "end" teams were already holding their QB2. I knew it was a possibility that most of the QB's available would be gone by the time I picked again. So, I took Flynn on a whim, thinking that he may end up in Miami. Of course, Peyton could end up there also so I don't know if that move will pay off. I also thought Flynn would be a safer pick than a rookie, but I really don't hold much faith in that either.BTW, I've never seen a QB run like that in these mocks before.......ever. At least, not smack in the middle of the 8th round.
I had always planned on taking Flynn or Fitz in the 8th, but yeah there is a psychological effect of having your core rounded out in the first seven rounds that makes the 8th the "right" time to take a backup QB. Since almost everyone is targeting the position at the same time, it makes sense to get while the gettin is good - everyone after you gets two shots at QB before your next pick, so you have no excuse if you get left out in the cold.

I think it's the risk/reward - if you already have a very solid #1, Peyton is all risk - he won't improve your QB score all that much, but he could fail to cover your bye. If your #1 is shakier, Peyton is a lot more reward - could be your #1 in the 8th - so the risk is tolerable. That's why I opted for Fitz over him. In a redraft, Peyton is still in my top 10-15 QBs on upside alone.
I agree with all of this. Peyton doesn't make much sense for my team with Rodgers as my QB1. I would have probably preferred a safer option like Fitz as well for the bye week security. I guess I was surprised to see Flynn, Griffin, Luck, A.Smith, etc. all go ahead of Peyton though. Lots of risk in that group (plus Tebow too). The fact that I got Peyton just ahead of Blaine Gabbert and Matt Cassel made it a no-brainer regardless of who my QB1 was.

I really wanted to take Peyton, but I felt that was too much risk to go with Vick. Sure RG3 has risk, but I'd rather absorb the risk of a rookie playing poorly than of a guy that no one knows if he will play another down. I've been in the he will never play another down camp for awhile.

Full disclosure: yes I was burned by taking Peyton in several early drafting leagues last year.

I feel like this year I ended up taking a bunch of swings based on last year's solid choices completely hosing me. Reached for at least 3 picks so far in retrospect. I feel bad for anyone who took their first QB starting at 10 or below, so much risk involved. Tight Ends are also a complete crapshoot outside of a handful, the rest are all like tier 3/4 options that may break out or just be good for a marginal 160-200.

I've kinda been on the fence whether Manning will even play this year. I'd have liked to back Luck up by taking Peyton but felt he might be around later. Then the QB glut hit in round 8 and that didn't leave a whole lot to choose from.I'm starting to believe the relationship between irsay & Manning is getting a little strained and not sure Irsay wants to pony up Manning's bonus when he knows he can get Luck and start him right away. I'd like to see Manning play again as he has been one of the true great QB's in NFL history. If he's physically capable of playing I think he'd be successful no matter where he goes. No doubt drafting Peyton could end up paying big dividends, especially where he was drafted at. He could be the best pick in the draft taken as late as he was.Yes he carries a lot of risk with him but someone of his talent warrants the risk. I wish now I woulda grabbed him earlier but hindsight is 20/20. It is better we're talking about another player's situation this year other than Brett Favre.

I don't see any way Peyton is in Indy a month from now. But if he signs somewhere like Arizona, he's probably a top-5 QB again if healthy (obviously a big if at this point).

I think there is about a 5% chance that he ends up in Arizona. I really don't think they can give up on Kolb after 1 year. Do you think they can admit that the Kolb signing was a mistake only one year out with no real off-season to work with him? I don't.

I'd say Washington, Miami, NYJ, or possibly Tennessee are the only real suitors at this point.

'Fiddles said:
How bout SF?
I've heard rumors that Peyton and Harbaugh did not get along with each other after Manning was drafted and before Harbaugh went to Baltimore. Not sure how true this is and not sure how much they interacted before Harbaugh left.

Jim Harbaugh is on record stating that the 49'ers are Alex Smith's team to lead and he will not even consider bringing in Manning. End of the Manning-to-49'ers talk.

I bet Colin Kaepernick would like Manning to come play for the 49ers. If Harbaugh thinks Kaepernick is the QB of the future for the Niners then Colin could possibly learn a great deal siitin' on the bench for another year and watch Peyton play. Seems like sittin' a couple of years behind a stud QB helped some guy named Rodgers. If Harbaugh is truly a team guy then he should be able to deal with Peyton being there. They don't have to absolutely sign Alex Smith. The 9ers were a couple of Kyle Williams fumbles from going to the superbowl. An 80% Manning would be better than a 100% Smith. Manning might believe he could possibly have the chance to get another ring, and match younger brother Eli's totals, if he went to San Fran.

Certainly there would have to be some major ego's and attitude adjustments made between Jim & Peyton and I'm not convinced that would take place. Vernon Davis could certainly benefit with Manning under center. Here again though, Harbaugh's ego that this is his team to run will probably squash the idea of Manning coming to the 9ers. So, for the sake of the team and the progress they've made, the unity & comraderie they've achieved, getting Manning could actually take them back a step and disrupt the relationships built. I'm sure Manning would like to go to a contender and S.F. would have a better shot at getting to the superbowl than Arizona or Miami. In the end Manning going to the 49ers is merely a pipe dream. The Texans however would offer a nice opportunity for him. I just don't see him playing for and being coached by Harbaugh.

'valence said:
I think there is about a 5% chance that he ends up in Arizona. I really don't think they can give up on Kolb after 1 year. Do you think they can admit that the Kolb signing was a mistake only one year out with no real off-season to work with him? I don't.
I think they can absolutely give up on Kolb. He's due a $7M bonus in March but might not even be their starter. They only gave him $12MM so far.With Peyton on that team, they are a Super Bowl contender again. With Kolb, they won't even sniff the playoffs.

'valence said:
I think they can absolutely give up on Kolb. He's due a $7M bonus in March but might not even be their starter. They only gave him $12MM so far.With Peyton on that team, they are a Super Bowl contender again. With Kolb, they won't even sniff the playoffs.
Seemed like they were pretty open to letting Skelton win the job but that didnt work out for them. Obviously they have set a precedence with Warner that they are good with letting a vet run the offense.

Can someone pm?
PM sent to GoBW since it sounds like he has lists for the next couple picks.
Thanks a ton bro1ncos! I appreciate the effort...as well as the efforts of others (jeter23, renesauz, GoBW, Reaper, Bloom, etc.) that have helped out along the way.This has got to be the most pleasant and relaxing message board survivor I've ever done! This is my 15th survivor since I started in '05 and only my 3rd WSL draft. I am enjoying it immensely.On top of all that giddiness, a lot of the teams look really strong as far as currently projected starters go. I liked my start and felt confident early.....now, not so much. That competitiveness between all these excellent drafters is what keeps bringing me back.....even though I've never finished higher than 4th (twice.) I am humbled by all of you and I learn so much from everyone each year I participate.Thanks All.eta: A special thanks to BnB and Twilight for their efforts as well.

Looking for feedback, we'll go with the majority of the votes here by noon tomorrow. In the sign up thread I said the clock would be adjusted to keep these drafts in a four week timeframe. We start week 5 in a couple of days. Here's what I'm doing in league 3 since they can/should get done by the weekend.

Clock schedule for the rest of the draft...

Rd 18 to be completed by midnite Tue, if not clocks cut in half

Rd 19 to be completed by midnite Wed, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)

Rd 20 to be completed by midnite Thur, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)

All picks due 24 hours for the final pick or the last clock expiration.

Do you guys want the same type of schedule for this draft or are you ok with it rolling into next week?

Looking for feedback, we'll go with the majority of the votes here by noon tomorrow. In the sign up thread I said the clock would be adjusted to keep these drafts in a four week timeframe. We start week 5 in a couple of days. Here's what I'm doing in league 3 since they can/should get done by the weekend.Clock schedule for the rest of the draft...Rd 18 to be completed by midnite Tue, if not clocks cut in halfRd 19 to be completed by midnite Wed, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)Rd 20 to be completed by midnite Thur, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)All picks due 24 hours for the final pick or the last clock expiration.Do you guys want the same type of schedule for this draft or are you ok with it rolling into next week?
I'M GOOD EITHER WAY

Looking for feedback, we'll go with the majority of the votes here by noon tomorrow. In the sign up thread I said the clock would be adjusted to keep these drafts in a four week timeframe. We start week 5 in a couple of days. Here's what I'm doing in league 3 since they can/should get done by the weekend.Clock schedule for the rest of the draft...Rd 18 to be completed by midnite Tue, if not clocks cut in halfRd 19 to be completed by midnite Wed, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)Rd 20 to be completed by midnite Thur, if not clocks cut in half (or cut in half again)All picks due 24 hours for the final pick or the last clock expiration.Do you guys want the same type of schedule for this draft or are you ok with it rolling into next week?
I am fine with either way.

We hit a lull these last few days, but I think we should be okay just letting it go as is.

That said, I'm fine with sticking with the clock cut back rule as originally planned.

Starting Saturday I'm going to be traveling and at Disney.....I'll do my best either way but, I'd vote to push it along - not sure what happened here and how WSL1 lapped us.

I really apologize guys. I'm rolling in the deep here and I'm without a paddle so to speak. PC took a crap and all heck broke loose. I will do my best to finish but until I get my PC back up and running I'm a lame duck. I'm so PO'd right now you couldn't imagine.

I know the Baldwin pick in round 18 is bogus, but I have no clue who I want instead and I just don't have the time to researxch it enough tonight as I'm on a friends PC and have to log off in a few minutes.

I'm really sorry. This is not like me at all and I feel terrible.

Rody

Users who are viewing this thread