What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning - is it ovah ? (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch

Footballguy
Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports that "people close" to Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) believe his career is over.

Two sources told Yahoo that the nerves in Manning's three-time surgically repaired neck are not just recovering slowly, they "don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again." Manning has lost velocity on his passes, and the sources don't believe he'll regain it. Further, two NFL-affiliated doctors would recommend against the Colts paying Manning's $28 million roster bonus. It's believed Manning's rehab has "hit a plateau."

I am really starting to believe it is over. I still hold him in one dynasty league so I hope not but it really doesn't look good for him continuing to play.

I've been saying all along that I don't understand why he would even risk it. He has a wife and two young children now and if he were to take one wrong hit, he could end up in a wheel chair. No way I would risk that when I have young kids. He has nothing to prove. He should just retire. Don't make it a circus ala Brett Favre.

I've been saying all along that I don't understand why he would even risk it. He has a wife and two young children now and if he were to take one wrong hit, he could end up in a wheel chair. No way I would risk that when I have young kids. He has nothing to prove. He should just retire. Don't make it a circus ala Brett Favre.
I agree. There is dedicated and then there is foolhardy.

Eli had a comment the other day to the effect of "anybody who is speculating about Peyton's future is wasting their breath." I tend to agree. Do things look good right now? Of course not. Right now, it doesn't appear he is making much progress. But why is it that people think that he has two options (play again, or retire) and that he must choose one this off season? Would it be foolish to risk injury by coming back next season? Perhaps. But he's still a relatively young quarterback. Who's to say that in a few months he won't announce "I'm not healthy enough to play this season. Beyond that, I just don't know."? Maybe he sits out a season and makes a comeback. Who knows. Just seems way to early to making these guesses.

Not to mention, as we've seen with Favre, the term "retire" really doesn't mean very much. Maybe Peyton really will announce his retirement soon. That doesn't mean that, in the event of a significant recovery, he can't "un-retire" and make a comeback.

yes. It's over. No way he comes back from that injury. it was a horrible decision and it will end his career.

from Rotoworld :

In a Tuesday interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) insisted that he expects to receive medical clearance to play the 2012 season.

Despite heavy speculation Monday that multiple surgeries will end Manning's career, he maintains that he's still making steady progress in rebuilding strength. "Doctors and I have been in good, constant communication," said Manning. "And I'm very encouraged by what they've said. Everything's right on point that I'll be cleared and ready to play." Of the retirement reports, Manning said, "I have no plans on doing that." ESPN's Adam Schefter expects Manning to become "the most decorated and high-profile free agent in NFL history." His $28 million option will likely be declined well before the March 8 deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. It's over. No way he comes back from that injury. it was a horrible decision and it will end his career.
What was a bad decision?
Sorry, having the procedure. It was very risky. Kind of an all or nothing thing from what I've heard about nerve fusion in the neck/spine.
My wife works with these procedures all the time and FWIW, she said at the end of 2010, when it was only known that he had had A single "procedure", that (to quote her) "He's not right and he's never going to be right again". She did say that these procedures are actually the standard procedure, are more common than people seem to be saying with regards to Manning, etc. So, I don't know if I would agree that it was a horrible decision because, from what I have been told, this is what you do to mend yourself in this case and at the end of the day, being pain free and healthy is what you're going for.With all that being said, my wife's opinion and a couple of dollars gets you doughnuts so take it how you want to but from a person working with these types of things she does say a lot of things when atletes get injured that seems to have a funny way of working out. Taking the FF bias out of it, she just says "this is what it does to the person" and, so far, it seems to coincide with what I see out of the player (of course I could be justifying or reading tea leaves...sure). But when people were guessing about foster and DMac and were wondering about how long AJ's injury would keep him out, she nailed all three of those so I'm listening (then again, i HAVE to listen, right??).:)So, again, she isn't saying he's done..but she does think he's done being Manning. And maybe like what someone above said about him sitting out a whole additional year and returning would make a lot of sense. Maybe its not retirement..its deferrment. I hope she's wrong. I want to see him be Peyton manning again. And she could be wrong because she can't measure his drive or heart or pain threshold,etc. But then again, neither can 99% of anybody else who is speculating right now either so as long as we are in the speculation business, I kind of lean towards what she's told me. She knew it was coming before he missed the time and she says he won't ever be what he was before so, right or wrong, I'm going with it. :)

In a Tuesday interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) insisted that he expects to receive medical clearance to play the 2012 season.Despite heavy speculation Monday that multiple surgeries will end Manning's career, he maintains that he's still making steady progress in rebuilding strength. "Doctors and I have been in good, constant communication," said Manning. "And I'm very encouraged by what they've said. Everything's right on point that I'll be cleared and ready to play." Of the retirement reports, Manning said, "I have no plans on doing that." ESPN's Adam Schefter expects Manning to become "the most decorated and high-profile free agent in NFL history." His $28 million option will likely be declined well before the March 8 deadline.

What was a bad decision?
Sorry, having the procedure. It was very risky. Kind of an all or nothing thing from what I've heard about nerve fusion in the neck/spine.
Not "nerve fusion" but bone fusion. When your spine is folded at a single joint, sometimes it does not heal back to normal. Much like a sheet of paper when folded, the crease remains and takes the brunt of future stresses along the spine. When doctors fuse the joint they are attempting to fix the "crease" but this can add stress to the joints above and below on future hits.

In a Tuesday interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) insisted that he expects to receive medical clearance to play the 2012 season.Despite heavy speculation Monday that multiple surgeries will end Manning's career, he maintains that he's still making steady progress in rebuilding strength. "Doctors and I have been in good, constant communication," said Manning. "And I'm very encouraged by what they've said. Everything's right on point that I'll be cleared and ready to play." Of the retirement reports, Manning said, "I have no plans on doing that." ESPN's Adam Schefter expects Manning to become "the most decorated and high-profile free agent in NFL history." His $28 million option will likely be declined well before the March 8 deadline.
No one is listening to Peyton Manning.

Such a good post.It seems like everyone would rather speculate and "manufacture" news rather than simply be boring and report it.

I guess we will find out once that medical clearance is either made or not made.

What does he know? Youngblood has all the ansers. :P

I guess we will find out once that medical clearance is either made or not made.
When he is released, he can go to any doctor he wants. How hard do you think it would be to get clearance from a doctor if he wants to play in 2012?

'Touchdown There said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Touchdown There said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
When he is released, he can go to any doctor he wants. How hard do you think it would be to get clearance from a doctor if he wants to play in 2012?
I don't think his new team would just take some other doctor's clearance as OK and sign him to a huge contract. It may be one thing to be medically cleared, but it is another thing to appease the doctors of the teams who would sign him. The team doctors for the interested teams will put him through the ringer to do their proper due diligence (at least any proper organization would).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Warpig said:
Because the surgery went great and now his neck is fine... it's the nerves in his arm which are not totally back so strength and coordination in his throwing arm is the issue.

He's done.

Colts will release him and no team will sign him to a long term contract because of his neck. He doesn't want to be a 1 year rental so he'll retire. Easy to see.

'Touchdown There said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Touchdown There said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
I don't think his new team would just take some other doctor's clearance as OK and sign him to a huge contract. It may be one thing to be medically cleared, but it is another thing to appease the doctors of the teams who would sign him. The team doctors for the interested teams will put him through the ringer to do their proper due diligence (at least any proper organization would).
Peyton would have played this year if his team was heading to the playoffs. There is a reason he was not put on IR. In December his teammates said he was throwing with the normal zip. He will be fine.

When he does retire I hope rob Lowe gets the credit he deserves for breaking the story. Don't let espn try to run with it!

Users who are viewing this thread