What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LB Tiers (1 Viewer)

'ninerfanatic492000 said:
Was hoping Beason would bounce back. Looks like a mess for him and doesn't help Anderson either. Guess I'll hold and hope.
I was thinking this was directed more towards thomas davis and their lack of depth with dan conner leaving.
I'm not an IDP expert but I would see Kuechly starting in the middle. Beason may be on the field but at lesser value.

'ninerfanatic492000 said:
Was hoping Beason would bounce back. Looks like a mess for him and doesn't help Anderson either. Guess I'll hold and hope.
I was thinking this was directed more towards thomas davis and their lack of depth with dan conner leaving.
I'm not an IDP expert but I would see Kuechly starting in the middle. Beason may be on the field but at lesser value.
I see Kuechly as MLB, Beason as WLB, and Anderson at SLB. Thomas Davis has become depth due to his injuries. As far as value is concerned, I am not sure I would say Beason would be on field at lesser value. Both Beason and Kuechly will be 3 down backers imo, but worst case, I still think Beason gets the nod over anyone else on 3rd down. Also, the WLB position is not a bad spot for Beason in this defense. he will still put up great fantasy stats (assuming he is back to 100%).

I see Kuechly as MLB, Beason as WLB, and Anderson at SLB. Thomas Davis has become depth due to his injuries. As far as value is concerned, I am not sure I would say Beason would be on field at lesser value. Both Beason and Kuechly will be 3 down backers imo, but worst case, I still think Beason gets the nod over anyone else on 3rd down. Also, the WLB position is not a bad spot for Beason in this defense. he will still put up great fantasy stats (assuming he is back to 100%).
Beason may very well get shifted over but many talking heads mentioned Kuechly's best positions may be MLB in a straight 4-3 or even better WLB in a tampa2 4-3 which he did land in. his range/instincts and coverage were the main reason for the tampa2 WLB correlation.i know mayock mentioned it and (grain of salt) Bill Polian said he'd draft him for a WLB tampa2 scheme and he'd flourish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be translating these tiers into a 1-60 ranking and posting it to the website rankings page this weekend.

+ / - notations indicate a player that has moved up or down X number of tiers since last update.

ELITE

Desmond Bishop

D'Qwell Jackson

Colin McCarthy

Patrick Willis

Derrick Johnson

James Laurinaitis

Daryl Washington +

LB1 W/ ELITE UPSIDE

Sean Lee

NaVorro Bowman

Ray Lewis

ELITE LB2 W/ LB1 UPSIDE

Pat Angerer

Paul Posluszny

Sean Weatherspoon

Curtis Lofton

Brian Cushing +

Lawrence Timmons +

Donald Butler

Nick Barnett +

HIGH FLOOR LB2

DeMeco Ryans

Stephen Tulloch -

Luke Kuechly +++

Chad Greenway

Karlos Dansby

Rolando McClain

London Fletcher

Brian Urlacher

Lavonte David +++

RISK-REWARD LB2

Jerod Mayo

Jon Beason

Erin Henderson

Brandon Spikes

Perry Riley

Mason Foster

David Hawthorne

Kavell Conner

KJ Wright

Michael Boley

Wes Woodyard

DJ Williams

RUSH LB2

DeMarcus Ware

Von Miller

James Harrison

Tamba Hali

Aldon Smith

Connor Barwin +

Clay Matthews

HIGH FLOOR LB3

Kevin Burnett -

David Harris

Stephen Nicholas

Lance Briggs

Mathias Kiwanuka +

Daryl Smith

Thomas Howard +

RUSH LB3

Robert Mathis

Justin Houston

LaMarr Woodley

Brian Orakpo

Calvin Pace

Anthony Spencer

MATCHUP LB4

Kelvin Sheppard

Darryl Sharpton

Takeo Spikes

Dan Connor

DeAndre Levy

AJ Hawk

Mychal Kendricks +

Jasper Brinkley

Joe Mays

Rey Maualuga

Barrett Ruud

James Anderson --

Jameel McClain +

Aaron Curry

Keith Rivers +

Jovan Belcher

Jo-Lonn Dunbar +

Leroy Hill

Quincy Black

Ryan Kerrigan

Paris Lenon

Sam Acho

O'Brien Schofield

Shaun Phillips

Jarret Johnson

Justin Durant

Dwight Freeney

Brooks Reed

Scott Fujita

WAITING TO JUMP TIERS

Bobby Wagner

Courtney Upshaw

Melvin Ingram

Zach Brown

Akeem Dent

Nate Irving

Demario Davis

Lofa Tatupu

Nick Perry

Donta Hightower

Mark Herzlich

Martez Wilson

Bruce Carter

DEVELOPMENTAL WATCH

James-Michael Johnson

Stevenson Sylvester

Keenan Robinson

Vontaze Burfict

Malcolm Smith

Audie Cole

Jene,

Why so low on Sheppard? Is he not the starting MLB in that Buffalo defense? They did not draft a starter and MLB in Buffalo is typically a good spot for IDP I thought.

Jene, Are you going to be doing Dynasty Tiers as well?
My roster philosophy is very similar in dynasty leagues and redraft leagues. These tiers would be very close to what I'd advocate for dynasty owners, with the exception that I'd lean toward upside and youth with my LB4 and LB5 slots when able.

You do not think Akeem Ayers makes the list? I thought he was listed in the other thread as a 3 down LB? Or was it just an oversight on one of the pages? Or maybe I just keep missing his name. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=640524
I must've made a cut-and-paste error on my worksheet. There are reasons to be concerned about him -- SLB, so-so run support and tackle numbers, questionable pass rush ceiling, chance that Zach Brown could force him out of some subpackages in time -- but he belongs in the matchup LB4 tier for now.Thanks.

Jene, love the effort and work as always. IDP gold!

Just curious as to your thoughts on Demario Davis (NYJ) and Sean Spence (PIT). Davis has been climbing in recent drafts I've seen while Spence is still available in my 16 team league. I like Pittsburgh's track history of drafting quality LB's late in drafts and Spence is compared to Lawrence Timmons due to him being somewhat undersized yet very athletic and instinctive.

Jene, love the effort and work as always. IDP gold!Just curious as to your thoughts on Demario Davis (NYJ) and Sean Spence (PIT). Davis has been climbing in recent drafts I've seen while Spence is still available in my 16 team league. I like Pittsburgh's track history of drafting quality LB's late in drafts and Spence is compared to Lawrence Timmons due to him being somewhat undersized yet very athletic and instinctive.
i read something the other day from the rookie minicamp over the last week. ryan spoke *very* highly of davis after seeing him on the field. sees a lot of what made ray lewis special - at least in terms of leadership - in the guy. i think chatter about him has been overshadowed by the coples drama, which is good for savvy IDP buyers. it's still way too early but i find it very encouraging.

Jene, love the effort and work as always. IDP gold!Just curious as to your thoughts on Demario Davis (NYJ) and Sean Spence (PIT). Davis has been climbing in recent drafts I've seen while Spence is still available in my 16 team league. I like Pittsburgh's track history of drafting quality LB's late in drafts and Spence is compared to Lawrence Timmons due to him being somewhat undersized yet very athletic and instinctive.
I was high on Davis before the draft, arguing that he had every-down talent in my comments during and after the Senior Bowl and leading up to the draft here, on Twitter, on our podcasts and elsewhere. I think the NY scheme is a perfect fit for him. Were I convinced that he was game-ready enough to unseat Bart Scott immediately, I might have a hard time preventing myself from ranking him as the LB2 in this group. But there are just enough questions that I like the established talents a little better for now.I like Spence, too. I've made the same arguments -- he's smart, instinctive, can cover, a little more physical than his size suggests, the way Pittsburgh has developed similar talents is reassuring, etc. -- but I don't like the fit at all. Spence was quick enough to get around blocks at Miami and there were times where he dropped a RB quickly. But when he was engaged, he had no chance of making a play and there were other times where he was dragged downfield by lesser backs. I think Spence needs to gain 10-15 pounds on a frame I'm not sure supports it and become nearly as proficient in shedding blocks as eluding them to play effectively on base downs in one of the few 2-gap leaning 3-4 schemes in the league. That won't be until 2014 at the earliest and it may not happen at all. I'm rooting for him, but I wouldn't take him over some of the WR/TE/RB projects in the fourth round.

Hey Jene, thank you for the Ayers feedback, one more question for you. How do you feel about Larry English? He was a first rounder not long ago, was injured most of last year any chance he is on the field a lot this year or is he begging to look like a bust? Thanks again for any info.

+ / - notations indicate a player that has moved up or down X number of tiers since last update.

Version 3.1

ELITE

Desmond Bishop

D'Qwell Jackson

Colin McCarthy

Patrick Willis

Derrick Johnson

James Laurinaitis

Daryl Washington

Sean Lee +

NaVorro Bowman +

ELITE LB2 W/ LB1 UPSIDE

Ray Lewis

Lawrence Timmons

Pat Angerer

Paul Posluszny

Curtis Lofton

Brian Cushing

Sean Weatherspoon

Donald Butler

NOTE: The next three tiers are one large group of Top 20 capable players. The back end of the risk-reward tier includes players with top 20 upside, but a significantly lower floor. These players will be mixed together in my 1-60 rank list, but roster considerations and risk tolerance will make my decisions on draft day.

HIGH FLOOR LB2

Nick Barnett

Luke Kuechly

London Fletcher

Brian Urlacher

DeMeco Ryans +

Stephen Tulloch

Chad Greenway

Karlos Dansby

Lavonte David

RISK-REWARD LB2

Jerod Mayo

Jon Beason

Erin Henderson

Rolando McClain -

Perry Riley

Mason Foster

Kavell Conner

Bobby Wagner

Wes Woodyard

DJ Williams

RUSH LB2

DeMarcus Ware

Von Miller

Aldon Smith

LB3 w/ TOP 25 UPSIDE

Michael Boley -

David Hawthorne -

Kevin Burnett

David Harris

Brandon Spikes -

KJ Wright -

Stephen Nicholas

Lance Briggs

PRIORITY DEPTH / MATCHUP LB3

Mathias Kiwanuka

Daryl Smith

Thomas Howard

Kelvin Sheppard

Dan Connor

Mychal Kendricks

Rey Maualuga

James Anderson

Aaron Curry

DeAndre Levy

Keith Rivers

ROSTERABLE MATCHUP RUSH LB

James Harrison -

Tamba Hali -

Connor Barwin -

Clay Matthews -

Robert Mathis

Justin Houston

LaMarr Woodley

Brian Orakpo

Calvin Pace

Anthony Spencer

TRAINING CAMP WATCH LIST

Bruce Carter

Darryl Sharpton

Jasper Brinkley

Joe Mays

Melvin Ingram

Zach Brown

James-Michael Johnson

Akeem Dent

Nate Irving

Demario Davis

Nick Perry

Donta Hightower

Mark Herzlich

Version 3.1

ELITE

Desmond Bishop

D'Qwell Jackson

Colin McCarthy

Patrick Willis

Derrick Johnson

James Laurinaitis

Daryl Washington

Sean Lee +

NaVorro Bowman +

ELITE LB2 W/ LB1 UPSIDE

Ray Lewis

Lawrence Timmons

Pat Angerer

Paul Posluszny

Curtis Lofton

Brian Cushing

Sean Weatherspoon

Donald Butler

NOTE: The next three tiers are one large group of Top 20 capable players. The back end of the risk-reward tier includes players with top 20 upside, but a significantly lower floor. These players will be mixed together in my 1-60 rank list, but roster considerations and risk tolerance will make my decisions on draft day.

HIGH FLOOR LB2

Luke Kuechly

London Fletcher

Brian Urlacher

DeMeco Ryans +

Stephen Tulloch

Chad Greenway

Karlos Dansby

RISK-REWARD LB2

Jerod Mayo

Jon Beason

Erin Henderson

Rolando McClain -

Perry Riley

Mason Foster

Kavell Conner

Bobby Wagner

Wes Woodyard

DJ Williams

RUSH LB2

DeMarcus Ware

Von Miller

Aldon Smith

LB3 w/ TOP 25 UPSIDE

Michael Boley -

David Hawthorne -

Kevin Burnett

David Harris

Brandon Spikes -

KJ Wright -

Stephen Nicholas

Lance Briggs

PRIORITY DEPTH / MATCHUP LB3

Mathias Kiwanuka

Daryl Smith

Thomas Howard

Kelvin Sheppard

Dan Connor

Mychal Kendricks

Rey Maualuga

James Anderson

Aaron Curry

DeAndre Levy

Keith Rivers

ROSTERABLE MATCHUP RUSH LB

James Harrison -

Tamba Hali -

Connor Barwin -

Clay Matthews -

Robert Mathis

Justin Houston

LaMarr Woodley

Brian Orakpo

Calvin Pace

Anthony Spencer

TRAINING CAMP WATCH LIST

Bruce Carter

Darryl Sharpton

Jasper Brinkley

Joe Mays

Melvin Ingram

Zach Brown

James-Michael Johnson

Akeem Dent

Nate Irving

Demario Davis

Nick Perry

Donta Hightower

Mark Herzlich
Jene, Nick Barnett - I don't see him anywhere?

David Lavonte went from high floor LB2 in post 155 to AWOL in 3.1?
:wall:No more cut and paste. I'm typing these from scratch next time and proofreading them an extra 17 times.David is essentially unchanged. He still lives in the High Floor LB2 tier.Thanks for the note. :thumbup:

I assume that Tatupu, Goff, Ruud, Thomas Davis, and Vilma are off the list on purpose. Thomas Davis and Tatupu surprise me a little.

I assume that Tatupu, Goff, Ruud, Thomas Davis, and Vilma are off the list on purpose. Thomas Davis and Tatupu surprise me a little.
Not convinced Tatupu or Davis are healthy enough to start and I'm not projecting either as every-down players. Davis might deserve a place on the camp watch list, but I'm not interested in Tatupu.

With DJ Williams suspension upheld what does that mean in Denver?
1. Wes Woodyard is an every-down WLB for the first six weeks.2. Joe Mays (or Nate Irving) has a very good chance at an every-down job for the first six weeks.3. If Nate Irving wins the MLB job, he could very well stick as an every-down MLB all season.I think it's likely that Williams gets his every-down job back when he returns.

With DJ Williams suspension upheld what does that mean in Denver?
1. Wes Woodyard is an every-down WLB for the first six weeks.2. Joe Mays (or Nate Irving) has a very good chance at an every-down job for the first six weeks.3. If Nate Irving wins the MLB job, he could very well stick as an every-down MLB all season.I think it's likely that Williams gets his every-down job back when he returns.
That is how it usually plays out when DJ gets hurt.

one-week-to-go update on the tiers?

currently has Bishop #1

Users who are viewing this thread