What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (1 Viewer)

Dez is a mess of his own doing, but a lack of strong leadership from his qb and coaches may also be a part. Lack of focus and fundamentals would not be tolerated in the top nfl organizations. He might be straightened out by now on a team that had its act together. (Or traded if he didn't figure it out...)

Definitely going to try and sell him after this game.
I'm buying. The catches will come.
i'm selling...not low or cheap but trying to move him.
Well yeah, I'm not going to give him away or anything. But this week should push his value up a bit. I didn't draft him too high so I'm just looking for a WR that puts up numbers somewhat consistently but may not be as hyped up, thus a bit cheaper to acquire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez is a mess of his own doing, but a lack of strong leadership from his qb and coaches may also be a part. Lack of focus and fundamentals would not be tolerated in the top nfl organizations. He might be straightened out by now on a team that had its act together. (Or traded if he didn't figure it out...)
Doubtful. Cows have tried it all. Read the entire thread- he has a learning disability...

Regarding the Tillman int for a TD. Romo has to share the blame for that one. Experts and NFL analysts today realized that Tillman jumped the route. Even if Dez ran the correct route Tillman would have picked it off. In the video you can see Romo rush the throw when the bliz was not picked up. This is a failure of the offensive line picking up the bliz, Romo rushing the throw not seeing Tillman jump the route and then Dez ran the wrong route. Perhaps Dez could have knocked the ball down if he ran the correct route who knows. But I have seen Romo do this before where he does not see a defender jump the route after being blizted. The Detroit Lions game from last year was another example when he threw a pick 6 and in that game Dez ran the correct route. See the videos below. The first one is the pick 6 from last night. The second one is the pick 6 from the Detroit Lions game in 2011. All the Dez haters can hate.

1. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/ef419b927d9d40058eb771d1dfe7921e

2. http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Carpenter-pick-6/bdfb4854-9d64-445f-ba45-208cdac50044

Regarding the Tillman int for a TD. Romo has to share the blame for that one. Experts and NFL analysts today realized that Tillman jumped the route. Even if Dez ran the correct route Tillman would have picked it off. In the video you can see Romo rush the throw when the bliz was not picked up. This is a failure of the offensive line picking up the bliz, Romo rushing the throw not seeing Tillman jump the route and then Dez ran the wrong route. Perhaps Dez could have knocked the ball down if he ran the correct route who knows. But I have seen Romo do this before where he does not see a defender jump the route after being blizted. The Detroit Lions game from last year was another example when he threw a pick 6 and in that game Dez ran the correct route. All the Dez haters can hate. But see the video below. Romo threw into double coverage.http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/ef419b927d9d40058eb771d1dfe7921e
I thought the same thing watching it live. Dez might have run the wrong route, but it was a terrible pass to throw regardless. In fact if Romo throws it up down the sideline, the route Dez was running, there was a lot of potential for the play. Obviously the play was sloppy by the O-line, QB and Dez. It all needs to be fixed.

Regarding the Tillman int for a TD. Romo has to share the blame for that one. Experts and NFL analysts today realized that Tillman jumped the route. Even if Dez ran the correct route Tillman would have picked it off. In the video you can see Romo rush the throw when the bliz was not picked up. This is a failure of the offensive line picking up the bliz, Romo rushing the throw not seeing Tillman jump the route and then Dez ran the wrong route. Perhaps Dez could have knocked the ball down if he ran the correct route who knows. But I have seen Romo do this before where he does not see a defender jump the route after being blizted. The Detroit Lions game from last year was another example when he threw a pick 6 and in that game Dez ran the correct route. All the Dez haters can hate. But see the video below. Romo threw into double coverage.http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/ef419b927d9d40058eb771d1dfe7921e
I thought the same thing watching it live. Dez might have run the wrong route, but it was a terrible pass to throw regardless. In fact if Romo throws it up down the sideline, the route Dez was running, there was a lot of potential for the play. Obviously the play was sloppy by the O-line, QB and Dez. It all needs to be fixed.
More on the Tillman pick 6. It was just a good play by Tillman. The way the play was set up is that if Tillman pressed on Dez Bryant then he was supposed to run the deep route. If Tillman was off Bryant then he was to run the stop route. You can see in the video Tillman disguised his coverage. Before the ball snapped Tillman pressed up on Bryant. By design Bryant was supposed to run the deep route. But right as the ball snapped Tillman backed off. The interesting question is why didn't Romo see that Tillman was pressed on Bryant? Romo should have saw this and known that Dez was going to run the deep route. I put the blame on the offensive line for not picking up the blitz. Romo was rushed and he made this mistake.

Dez might have run the wrong route, but it was a terrible pass to throw regardless. In fact if Romo throws it up down the sideline, the route Dez was running, there was a lot of potential for the play.
Sorry, but no. Romo audibled when he saw the blitz coming, and Bryant was supposed to run a hitch as a result. Romo threw the ball to where he knew his WR was supposed to be, but Bryant is too stupid to know the offense and ran the wrong route. This is his 3rd year in the league, and he has been in the same offense the whole time. There is simply no excuse for him to not understand the offense by now. The sad thing is, you watch Bryant and he obviously has a lot of talent and should be a beast, but factor in his stupidity with his bad hands and he'll never be what they hoped he'd be.

Dez might have run the wrong route, but it was a terrible pass to throw regardless. In fact if Romo throws it up down the sideline, the route Dez was running, there was a lot of potential for the play.
Sorry, but no. Romo audibled when he saw the blitz coming, and Bryant was supposed to run a hitch as a result. Romo threw the ball to where he knew his WR was supposed to be, but Bryant is too stupid to know the offense and ran the wrong route. This is his 3rd year in the league, and he has been in the same offense the whole time. There is simply no excuse for him to not understand the offense by now. The sad thing is, you watch Bryant and he obviously has a lot of talent and should be a beast, but factor in his stupidity with his bad hands and he'll never be what they hoped he'd be.
It is a hot read, not an audible. Romo and Dez saw it differently, which happens. It turns out that Chicago was expecting what Romo did, so maybe that was not the best read to make.

It is a hot read, not an audible. Romo and Dez saw it differently, which happens. It turns out that Chicago was expecting what Romo did, so maybe that was not the best read to make.
They saw it differently because Bryant ran the wrong route. It is that simple. As for Chicago expecting it, that speaks to the predictability of the scheme Dallas is running, which is on Jason Garrett.

I'm fascinated as he had an 8-catch 105 yard effort and it was a terrible game by him. That seems like an internally inconsistent statement but it's 100% true. It does seem like a good time to sell him to someone who sees the stat-line but didn't watch the game.

-QG

You could see Romo screaming at Dez and pointing and calling out the safety's number. Then you see Dez nod. Then he runs the wrong pattern. Im not sure how you can call that seeing it differently.And the idea that Tillman jumped the route... er, yeah, but the point is if Dez was where he was supposed to be, his body would be between Tillman and the ball. Which is called a 'pass pattern'. If the guy you are throwing it to isnt there, well of course jumping the route can well lead to an int.

Not that this is new, but perhaps a different way of thinking about it. Dez, when he came into the league, had the emotional maturity of maybe a 12 year old. We all know the story of his "upbringing". Absolutely no structure in his life.

He's growing up. He's making progress. But he's obviously not where he needs to be. I'm going to estimate maybe he's emotionally up to an 18 year old now. Maybe a college freshman maturity level. He's learning that he really needs to work. What it means to work. How to overcome adversity. By all accounts, he really did put in the effort to improve over the summer. Probably for the first time in his life, he really did work. But it takes more than 1 offseason for anyone.

What I'm saying is that we're going to have to see if he continues to work. Continues to grow up. If he does those things, he'll continue to improve. If he checks out, then he'll never realize his ability.

He's facing adversity because of last night. Lets see how he responds. It can go either way. How much are you willing to wager on that upside?

Not that this is new, but perhaps a different way of thinking about it. Dez, when he came into the league, had the emotional maturity of maybe a 12 year old. We all know the story of his "upbringing". Absolutely no structure in his life. He's growing up. He's making progress. But he's obviously not where he needs to be. I'm going to estimate maybe he's emotionally up to an 18 year old now. Maybe a college freshman maturity level. He's learning that he really needs to work. What it means to work. How to overcome adversity. By all accounts, he really did put in the effort to improve over the summer. Probably for the first time in his life, he really did work. But it takes more than 1 offseason for anyone.What I'm saying is that we're going to have to see if he continues to work. Continues to grow up. If he does those things, he'll continue to improve. If he checks out, then he'll never realize his ability. He's facing adversity because of last night. Lets see how he responds. It can go either way. How much are you willing to wager on that upside?
This is the best point I have seen made about Dez in any of the posts I have read. It really will tell us about him how he responds the next few games to the obvious mistakes he made this game. I am still in and I'm betting this talent at some point turns into fantasy points

Dez is a mess of his own doing, but a lack of strong leadership from his qb and coaches may also be a part.
I can't refute what you said, but where did you hear this?
I didn't hear it anywhere. It's my speculation. I like Romo, but the consistent late-season meltdowns and collapses of the entire team have happened during your tenure. Perhaps he's done everything right -- I have no idea.It's my speculation, to be clear. All I know is that there's been something missing in Dallas for half a dozen years or more. They don't seem to have good leadership. It very well may be unfair to point the finger at Romo as he's an easy target. I'll just say the leadership in the entire Dallas organization should be open to some serious criticism.

And to texasbirdfan, if you're a Cowboys fan, you're certainly more in the know than I am up in the capital of Steelers Nation. However, perhaps that more distant perspective also enables me to speculate about the seeming overall abdication of leadership around the Cowboys organization for far too long. It's not that they're terrible, but I cannot remember the last time they were better than the sum of their parts. They seem to have the worst "chemistry" of any team in the NFL.

Not that this is new, but perhaps a different way of thinking about it. Dez, when he came into the league, had the emotional maturity of maybe a 12 year old. We all know the story of his "upbringing". Absolutely no structure in his life. He's growing up. He's making progress. But he's obviously not where he needs to be. I'm going to estimate maybe he's emotionally up to an 18 year old now. Maybe a college freshman maturity level. He's learning that he really needs to work. What it means to work. How to overcome adversity. By all accounts, he really did put in the effort to improve over the summer. Probably for the first time in his life, he really did work. But it takes more than 1 offseason for anyone.What I'm saying is that we're going to have to see if he continues to work. Continues to grow up. If he does those things, he'll continue to improve. If he checks out, then he'll never realize his ability. He's facing adversity because of last night. Lets see how he responds. It can go either way. How much are you willing to wager on that upside?
Not really.He never knew the playbook at Oklahoma State. They had a special team of assistants on the sidelines telling/ yelling to him before and during plays to try to move him around correctly.He has learning disabilities. Those also interfere with his maturity progress.

Dez is a mess of his own doing, but a lack of strong leadership from his qb and coaches may also be a part.
I can't refute what you said, but where did you hear this?
I didn't hear it anywhere. It's my speculation. I like Romo, but the consistent late-season meltdowns and collapses of the entire team have happened during your tenure. Perhaps he's done everything right -- I have no idea.It's my speculation, to be clear. All I know is that there's been something missing in Dallas for half a dozen years or more. They don't seem to have good leadership. It very well may be unfair to point the finger at Romo as he's an easy target. I'll just say the leadership in the entire Dallas organization should be open to some serious criticism.

And to texasbirdfan, if you're a Cowboys fan, you're certainly more in the know than I am up in the capital of Steelers Nation. However, perhaps that more distant perspective also enables me to speculate about the seeming overall abdication of leadership around the Cowboys organization for far too long. It's not that they're terrible, but I cannot remember the last time they were better than the sum of their parts. They seem to have the worst "chemistry" of any team in the NFL.
Lived here in North Texas 20 years, long time Falcon fan. I have heard about Bryant every week since his Sophomore year in college. They discuss him consonantly on the 3 sports talk radio stations. There were warnings out about him while in college. Former Cow greats including Sanders and Irvin tried to help him early on and gave up on him because of his intellectual shortcomings not his behavior. The Cows have a whole department set up to help players off the field, IMO they are not at fault for not trying to help..

All right, Dez owners. The bye is done, Baltimore's decidedly average pass defense is on the other side--what are you doing? I think Dez is a fair play this week but haven't heard much out of Dallas about whether he's getting at all doghoused for the Bears game, what they've been working on during the bye, etc.

Starting him? Don't have a choice. I can't trade him for anything. Just have to hope they keep feeding it to him. Not drafting this guy again. It takes more than talent to succeed in the NFL. This guy just doesn't have the work ethic/iotelligence/motivate to be a yearly top 15 wideout. Sad.

All right, Dez owners. The bye is done, Baltimore's decidedly average pass defense is on the other side--what are you doing? I think Dez is a fair play this week but haven't heard much out of Dallas about whether he's getting at all doghoused for the Bears game, what they've been working on during the bye, etc.
Williams should be assigned to him and he has played well this year. I think he's looking at 8-10 targets. I can't predict the future on what that translates into but I think I can answer that the Cowboys will give him the opportunity. Baltimore has given up some yards through the air versus teams with two good WRs so that looks promising. On the other hand, they haven't given up much in terms of passing TDs.

'meyerj31 said:
Starting him? Don't have a choice. I can't trade him for anything. Just have to hope they keep feeding it to him. Not drafting this guy again. It takes more than talent to succeed in the NFL. This guy just doesn't have the work ethic/iotelligence/motivate to be a yearly top 15 wideout. Sad.
As distressed as you seem to be, it's probably a good idea for you to stay away from him in the future. However, in his only full season he finished 19th in standard FBG scoring, five points out of 14th place. And he missed a game Week 2. This season he is clearly off to a slow start but it is not impossible for him to finish top 20 again or even top 15.Dez finished tied for 4th among all WRs in TDs last year. Until he gets some TD production, he's clearly going to be underperforming all expectations. I think Dez is actually 25th in yards per game among WRs. It's the TDs that are the problem. However, some people have ridiculously high expectations that Bryant could not possibly reach in only his third season. Dez should have been drafted between 15-20 among WRs this year. Expecting anything more than that type of production is not so much Bryant's fault as it is whoever drafted him too early.I understand why people are down on him. His lack of production is real, and the gap between his production and his potential may be the largest in the league. However, this gap did not just appear Week 1.

Just turned down Hartline for him.

Think the Cowboys offense gets rolling after this bye :thumbup:

It will be fun to see if all the people who sold dez after his last game and before his bye week will be saying. "I told you so" or kicking themselves after this Sunday.

I think that dez' involvement in that last game was a sign of good things to come even with his mental errors. I think romo knows what a natural talent the kid is and wants to just get the ball in his hands.

It will be fun to see if all the people who sold dez after his last game and before his bye week will be saying. "I told you so" or kicking themselves after this Sunday. I think that dez' involvement in that last game was a sign of good things to come even with his mental errors. I think romo knows what a natural talent the kid is and wants to just get the ball in his hands.
X2

As distressed as you seem to be, it's probably a good idea for you to stay away from him in the future. However, in his only full season he finished 19th in standard FBG scoring, five points out of 14th place. And he missed a game Week 2. This season he is clearly off to a slow start but it is not impossible for him to finish top 20 again or even top 15.Dez finished tied for 4th among all WRs in TDs last year. Until he gets some TD production, he's clearly going to be underperforming all expectations. I think Dez is actually 25th in yards per game among WRs. It's the TDs that are the problem. However, some people have ridiculously high expectations that Bryant could not possibly reach in only his third season. Dez should have been drafted between 15-20 among WRs this year. Expecting anything more than that type of production is not so much Bryant's fault as it is whoever drafted him too early.I understand why people are down on him. His lack of production is real, and the gap between his production and his potential may be the largest in the league. However, this gap did not just appear Week 1.
I'm not disagreeing with any of your points, but I fully understand anyone drafting Dez gambling that the magic "3rd year WR" light bulb would go on for him - your last sentence providing the logic for doing so.

Another good post.While i'm on your jock.I traded Bowe w/ Dez on my bench due to the last game whee he was so close to awesome. (the 9th catch OR the TD would have sealed it - the TD more so but he may have stumbled out of bounds - it was certainly a leaner) Either way - he was CLEARLY the fave in that game. To win - you need to gamble -so I put him in my starting lineup to win.

Awesome to go nearly 100 and 2 today, but dropping that 2pt conversion at the end really sucked. Bad.

Dez finds the end-zone twice this week and gets at least 80 yards. Start with confidence.
:bowtie:anyone else notice that yahoo is totally screwing up his stats today? I only have 5.5 points from him right now.

his stats on NFL.com are 13 catches for 95 yards and two tds

Stats on yahoo gamecenter are 10 catches for 70 yards and two tds.

Anyone know where you can get official stats?

Users who are viewing this thread