What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (2 Viewers)

‏@ChrisWesseling

Cue the overreaction to Dez's drop. Had a HUGE game. Never seen so much unreasonable hand-wringing over a player.

Definitely agree.

21 REC for 200 and 2 TDs the past two games against 2 tough Ds in CHI and BAL.

Guys a stud and this is his breakout. Dallas is FINALLY force feeding him ala Calvin.

Had a great game, I wasn't buying him when his value was low because of his drops and route running but it looks like he's really woken up and realizing his potential.

Dez finds the end-zone twice this week and gets at least 80 yards. Start with confidence.
damn nice call :thumbup:
it was a nice call but was anyone really going to sit dez that owned him? it wasnt even a questin for me. I drafted him in the 5th rd...for better or worse he is in my lineup as my WR2.
It was a question if you've got some guys behind him playing well...Although, reason i started him was because I thought Jackson/Smith had tough matchups. Unless its Calvin, I go by matchup on inconsistent receivers.

What a game. Abusing corners, moving the chains, and catching 13 of 15 targets. Anyone who complains about the two point conversion has it out for the man, as the Cowboys don't even sniff that opportunity without Dez's effort today.

Just a scoring glitch for some reason. One of my opponents this week was talking trash about how he was about to take the lead with the 4 PM games until I pointed out the error. Sucka!

Catching 13 of 15 balls, with 2 TDs, is pretty sick. If he had caught the 2pt conversion at 14 of 15 (which could have led to a win) it would have been ridiculous. But this is still pretty good.

I think it's safe to say that Garrett and romo (probably "gently" guided by Jerry jones) have decided to feature Bryant in the pass game as the #1 wr a few weeks ago. Jerry jones has too much invested (money and pride) in Bryant. He HAS to give dez a chance to make him look smart for drafting him despite all the red flags.

Only one way to do that. Feature him. Force feed him the ball.

I think it's safe to say that Garrett and romo (probably "gently" guided by Jerry jones) have decided to feature Bryant in the pass game as the #1 wr a few weeks ago. Jerry jones has too much invested (money and pride) in Bryant. He HAS to give dez a chance to make him look smart for drafting him despite all the red flags. Only one way to do that. Feature him. Force feed him the ball.
You have a bright future working for ESPN with these kind of observations.

I think it's safe to say that Garrett and romo (probably "gently" guided by Jerry jones) have decided to feature Bryant in the pass game as the #1 wr a few weeks ago. Jerry jones has too much invested (money and pride) in Bryant. He HAS to give dez a chance to make him look smart for drafting him despite all the red flags. Only one way to do that. Feature him. Force feed him the ball.
That's ridiculous. The only thing that can make Jones look good is to win. I doubt he's telling his QB to 'force feed' anyone. It's never been a secret what a freakish talent Bryant is. Romo knew it and Garrett knew it. If Romo is suddenly targeting him more, it's because he's finally learning the offense and running the routes correctly.

LOL! :goodposting:

That's ridiculous. The only thing that can make Jones look good is to win. I doubt he's telling his QB to 'force feed' anyone. It's never been a secret what a freakish talent Bryant is. Romo knew it and Garrett knew it. If Romo is suddenly targeting him more, it's because he's finally learning the offense and running the routes correctly.
Uhhh. It just so happens that featuring Bryant in the passing game ALSO gives them the best chance to win. Like another poster said I this thread dez is the only reason they even GOT to the point where a 2 pt conversion would have tied it up today. He is by far the best receiver in that team and the best red zone target.

Jerry Jones must not be very smart considering that he has alot more money invested in Austin and Witten than Bryant.

I only wish I had a future at Espn. That would be pretty freaking cool, actually.

Jerry Jones must not be very smart considering that he has alot more money invested in Austin and Witten than Bryant.
Why is that? Witten got his today and has been very involved. Austin is always injured.

Why is that? Witten got his today and has been very involved. Austin is always injured.
You tell me. You were the one who suggested that he's being heavily involved because of money invested in him.

Its been pretty aparent to me his route running has greatly improved... even on his monday night mishap. He looks like a surprisingly more polished WR by far this yr which is why hes doing what hes doing. If anyone complains on that part of his game which many typicaly do they have never watched a Cowboys game from last yr to this yr.

Its been pretty aparent to me his route running has greatly improved... even on his monday night mishap. He looks like a surprisingly more polished WR by far this yr which is why hes doing what hes doing. If anyone complains on that part of his game which many typicaly do they have never watched a Cowboys game from last yr to this yr.
He has improved in 2 areas. Lining up correctly and running of his routes. He is still struggling a bit between the ears. He makes mistakes on sight adjustments and doesn't come back to Romo very well when Romo is scrambling. Ever noticed who ens up cathing those scramble plays....Austin/Ogletree/Witten. He has had some bad drops in the last two weeks and has been less then clutch.The kid still needs to work hard, but way too early to throw in the towel from a fantasy or real NFL perspective.I think the fantasy community is very tough on him for some reason.

I think the fantasy community is very tough on him for some reason.
Because he is inconsistent and they probablly never start him on the right weeks. That's a weak reason IMO, but it's jus the way the FFer's usually are.Plus, he just seems like a baby. For example he just had a monster game vs. Balt and for 90% of it was a dominant player on the field. But late in the game on that 2 point converesion attempt he drops an easy 2 pointer that should have tied the game. Now, that isn't all that critical for FF. It was for real football though. What stood out to me more than anything else about that whole game however was him looking for a flag on that play and crying about it on the field. It was like he could not accept any accountability for his mistake. He dropped that ball plane and simple. Be a man about it. Don't look for some phantom call to bail you out.So I think people aren't hard on him just because of FF. I think they are hard on him because they generally just don't like his attitude. Or perhaps a better way to say it is they don't like the attitude he percipitates through his actions. Seems to have a little TO in him but w/o the TO production.

Because he is inconsistent and they probablly never start him on the right weeks. That's a weak reason IMO, but it's jus the way the FFer's usually are.Plus, he just seems like a baby. For example he just had a monster game vs. Balt and for 90% of it was a dominant player on the field. But late in the game on that 2 point converesion attempt he drops an easy 2 pointer that should have tied the game. Now, that isn't all that critical for FF. It was for real football though. What stood out to me more than anything else about that whole game however was him looking for a flag on that play and crying about it on the field. It was like he could not accept any accountability for his mistake. He dropped that ball plane and simple. Be a man about it. Don't look for some phantom call to bail you out.So I think people aren't hard on him just because of FF. I think they are hard on him because they generally just don't like his attitude. Or perhaps a better way to say it is they don't like the attitude he percipitates through his actions. Seems to have a little TO in him but w/o the TO production.
To be fair, I've seen WRs crying for flags more often than I ever have this season.

He has improved in 2 areas. Lining up correctly and running of his routes. He is still struggling a bit between the ears. He makes mistakes on sight adjustments and doesn't come back to Romo very well when Romo is scrambling. Ever noticed who ens up cathing those scramble plays....Austin/Ogletree/Witten. He has had some bad drops in the last two weeks and has been less then clutch.The kid still needs to work hard, but way too early to throw in the towel from a fantasy or real NFL perspective.I think the fantasy community is very tough on him for some reason.
His biggest improvement is he's is learning (still learning, hasn't LEARNED completely) how to deal with press coverage. As a result, his routes are (do appear) better.He's clearly the first read the vast majority of the time.

I agree there needs more but the kid went 13/15 in catches to targets... I hardly call he had bad drops yesterday. You cant fault the kid on the diving 2pt conversion either which im sure people are. He was a beast yesterday, without his day it would not of come down to that 2pt conversion.

He has improved in 2 areas. Lining up correctly and running of his routes. He is still struggling a bit between the ears. He makes mistakes on sight adjustments and doesn't come back to Romo very well when Romo is scrambling. Ever noticed who ens up cathing those scramble plays....Austin/Ogletree/Witten. He has had some bad drops in the last two weeks and has been less then clutch.The kid still needs to work hard, but way too early to throw in the towel from a fantasy or real NFL perspective.

I agree there needs more but the kid went 13/15 in catches to targets... I hardly call he had bad drops yesterday. You cant fault the kid on the diving 2pt conversion either which im sure people are. He was a beast yesterday, without his day it would not of come down to that 2pt conversion.
He dropped the pass. Who should we fault?

He has improved in 2 areas. Lining up correctly and running of his routes. He is still struggling a bit between the ears. He makes mistakes on sight adjustments and doesn't come back to Romo very well when Romo is scrambling. Ever noticed who ens up cathing those scramble plays....Austin/Ogletree/Witten. He has had some bad drops in the last two weeks and has been less then clutch.The kid still needs to work hard, but way too early to throw in the towel from a fantasy or real NFL perspective.

Should have caught it, sure. But even the biggest cynics in the world can admit they are picking nits if that's what they want to take away from the game. I don't know of any player, ever, who hasn't dropped an easy catch. See the forest, not the tree. 13 of 15 targets caught. 2 TDs, good yards, absoulte matchup mismatch all day the past few weeks. What it all boils down to is, as long as the Cowboys are throwing 60+% of the time (and they are and have been for years), and as long as Austin has lingering hammy issues, and as long as the Cowboys don't play a "shutdown" corner that matches up extremely well with him, he is going to be targeted often. That's really all you can ask for: throw it to him and give him a chance to make a play. Believe me, I'll take that over a lot of other situations. Imagine having a guy with clear WR1 talent, but his team doesn't target him heavily. At least with Dez, you get the chance all through the game.

Dez's PPR pts:

Week 1 - 12.5

Week 2 - 4.7

Week 3 - 12.2

Week 4 - 18.5

Week 5 - bye

Week 6 - 34.5

That is 1 bad game (still not a zero), 2 decent games, 1 good game and 1 great game.

What more would you want from a WR2?

If he catches that 2 pt conversion, OR the Cowboys do a better job of clock management at the end of the game, OR the kicker hits that 60+ yarder to win the game and all we talk about is how Dez carried them to a win.

Instead, they lose and the 2 point conversion is somehow the reason. While he should have caught that ball, it was a very fast, tough catch to make.

If he catches that 2 pt conversion, OR the Cowboys do a better job of clock management at the end of the game, OR the kicker hits that 60+ yarder to win the game and all we talk about is how Dez carried them to a win.
51 yarder. Should have been less than that - poor clock management, again, by Garrett and Romo.

With DeMarco Murray banged up, they are going to ride the passing game for a few weeks. Enjoy the ride if you have Bryant.

A low 3 quarter diving catch looks a lot easier said then done in the corner of an endzone... its not like it was right on the money, he was stretching out and down where it was thrown and didnt come through.... I dont call that on him. But I have gotten use to the way people view Dez in here through the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
A low 3 quarter diving catch looks a lot easier said then done in the corner of an endzone... its not like it was right on the mo ey, he was stretching out and down where it was thrown and didnt come through.... I do t call that on him. But I have gotten use to the way people view Dez in here threw the years.
I didn't think it was that difficult. It was a perfectly thrown ball IMO. It was low but it wasn't that low. It hit him on the shoulder pads. I think the problem was he miss read the pass and that is why he dropped it. Romo had to put it where he did because the CB had pretty good coverage and upfield position. He did the back shoulder throw because of the coverage. Again though, this isn't about the drop. It's about the attitude after the drop. Everyone makes mistakes.

A low 3 quarter diving catch looks a lot easier said then done in the corner of an endzone... its not like it was right on the money, he was stretching out and down where it was thrown and didnt come through.... I dont call that on him. But I have gotten use to the way people view Dez in here through the years.
It is a catch he needed to make. That said - it's one blip on a great day for him. He put them in a position to win, by catching nearly everything and make plays. I don't think we need to ingore the drop. He had a great day and made one mistake. It happens.

51 yarder. Should have been less than that - poor clock management, again, by Garrett and Romo.
I think I got it confused with the St. Louis game....so yeah, a much more makeable FG that would have won the game. He probably makes that kick at about the same rate Dez catches that pass. Two plays the Cowboys make more often than not and missed on both of them. I think that team is snakebit.

Again though, this isn't about the drop. It's about the attitude after the drop. Everyone makes mistakes.
Meh. Tom Brady looks for flags all the time. I'll take Tom Brady-like traits in all my guys. Nothing to see here.
yeah as far as I know he didn't come out after the game and blame the drop on interference. (if he did then ignore this post). But nothing wrong at least trying to bait the ref into throwing a flag.

Dez Bryant only cares about what the Cowboys think; ‘Nobody else understands what’s going on’By Jon Machota / Special Contributorjmachota@dallasnews.com5:50 pm on October 14, 2012 | PermalinkDez Bryant says it’s fair to expect 100-yard games out of him every week. He fell short of that Sunday in Baltimore but he probably turned in his best game as a professional, catching 13 passes for 95 yards and two touchdowns.“If you’re a starter on this team, you’re here to make plays,” Bryant said after Sunday’s 31-29 loss to the Ravens. “We’re not here just to be a showoff. Like Coach Garrett always say, he don’t want flash players. He wants guys who go out there and make plays and fight. That’s the type of (mentality) I’ve had – just that nasty fight attitude. I feel like we have that.”Bryant had a chance to tie the game in the final minute after catching his second touchdown. However, a well-placed two-point conversion pass from Tony Romo sailed through Bryant’s hands as a defender was draped over his back.“I love moments like that,” Bryant said. “I don’t think we’re nervous when we get in moments like that. I just feel like we just fell short.”Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was certainly in approval of Bryant’s outing. While speaking with reporters after the game, Jones hollered, “Alright, Dez,” as the former first-round pick walked by. Jones then nodded his head and winked.“I think we can win with that day that we had and win with him as the key receiver,” Jones said. “It was that kind of day. I was hoping he’d get loose there on that punt return, but still, we can win games and have a solid to really good passing attack with Dez playing games like he played. He needs to make that catch. Everybody drops them, but he needs to make that catch, but he did some other things for us to keep some drives going that really helped us. He did it with his skills.”And as for those who will continue to be critical, Bryant said he isn’t concerned with outsiders.“I don’t care what anybody thinks,” Bryant said. “I only care about what my coaches and what my teammates think. That’s the only thing that matters. Don’t nobody else understands what’s going on. Only this organization.”Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Users who are viewing this thread