What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DB Tiers (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
DB Tiers

These tiers will obviously change significantly between now and August. But it’s never too early to take a stand and start sorting players into tiers.

I’m going to use this thread to update the defensive line tiers through the summer (they’ll also be translated into my rankings starting in early May after the NFL Draft). Each update will have its own post in the thread, with later posts including a notation for changes from the previous version. I’ll link the post to each version here to keep things (somewhat) organized.

For the purposes of the defensive back tiers, assume a league with 30-40 DB rostered, 20+ starting DB, a balanced scoring system (about 4:1 sack to tackle) and a relatively strong tackle bias.

Discussion is welcome and encouraged.

SPECIAL DB NOTES :P

My DB strategy (and tiers) is built around the following:

***Plan to hold only the very highest ceiling players on your roster.

***Keep a running list of situations and backup talents that may a high ceiling player.

***Don’t sweat the long, long list of DB2/DB3 guys. Cycle until/unless one of them emerges as a high ceiling player.

***Don’t hesitate to move on from a high ceiling player if there’s good evidence they’ve fallen out of the tier.

The top tier (elite) includes just a handful of players I feel are high ceiling, high floor potentials. I’ll then have a sizable list of guys I’m willing to cycle (DB2 rosterable), with another small handful broken out as the highest upside players of that group (DB1 upside). Finally, I have a list of talents/situations on the backburner (deep developmental only) and I’ll move on those players without waiting for a trend to emerge.

For the purposes of this thread, I’ll also put a longer list of DB2/DB3 guys that I consider just above replacement level, but I think of this group like an electron cloud. There’s an extremely large area that could hold a DB, but the exact number and slot for these DBs will look different whenever you decide to take a snapshot of their position. I’d be waiting for a trend to emerge or a perfect matchup before considering these guys roster holds.

The players in the first three tiers – elite, DB1 upside, every week DB2 upside – are loosely ranked within their tiers. The electron cloud and developmental prospects are not.

I’m also going to break this thread up into S and CB lists, but use the same tiers. Hopefully, that won’t get too confusing.

Post Coaching Changes / Pre Free Agency

Version 1.0 – SF (Post 2)

Post Draft / Pre Camp

Version 2.0 (Post 50)

Last edited by a moderator:
Version 1.0 – SAFETIES

ELITE

Tyvon Branch

George Wilson

Roman Harper

Eric Weddle

DB1 UPSIDE

Eric Berry

Kam Chancellor

Patrick Chung

Bernard Pollard

Yeremiah Bell

Troy Polamalu

LaRon Landry

EVERY WEEK DB2 UPSIDE

Antoine Bethea

Quintin Mikell

Darian Stewart

Morgan Burnett

TJ Ward

DeJon Gomes

Jaiquawn Jarrett

Earl Thomas

Quinton Carter

DB3 ELECTRON CLOUD

Jairus Byrd

Reggie Nelson

Danieal Manning

Dawan Landry

Chris Prosinski

James Ihedigbo

Eric Smith

Michael Huff

Ryan Clark

Michael Griffin

Adrian Wilson

Kerry Rhodes

William Moore

Charles Godfrey

Louis Delmas

Amari Spievey

Nick Collins

Malcolm Jenkins

Kenny Phillips

Antrel Rolle

Donte Whitner

Da'Shon Goldson

Tanard Jackson

Sean Jones

DEEP DEVELOPMENTAL ONLY

Da’Norris Searcy

Taylor Mays

Robert Sands

Jermale Hines

Darrell Stuckey

Chad Jones

ROOKIES TO WATCH

Mark Barron

Brandon Taylor

Antonio Smith

Harrison Smith

Markelle Martin

George Iloka

Tony Dye

Trenton Robinson

Christian Thompson

Aaron Henry

I've always considered Roman Harper's DB1 status to be directly correlated to his role in Gregg Williams' defense. You must not think his production will suffer much (if any) with the addition of Spagnuolo?

Thanks Jene!

Here is my Dynasty Safety list I put together yesterday. http://dynastyfootballrankings.blogspot.com/

01. LaRon Landry

02. Eric Berry

03. Patrick Chung

04. Tyvon Branch

05. Eric Weddle

06. Roman Harper

07. Bernard Pollard

08. George Wilson

09. Yeremiah Bell

10. Dawan Landry

11. Morgan Burnett

12. Troy Polamalu

13. Kam Chancellor

14. Antoine Bethea

15. Quinton Carter

16. T.J. Ward

17. Kenny Phillips

18. Jaiquawn Jarrett

19. Dashon Goldson

20. Adrian Wilson

21. Nick Collins

22. Earl Thomas

23. Quintin Mikell

24. Antrel Rolle

25. Charles Godfrey

26. Ed Reed

27. Oshiomogho Atogwe

28. Louis Delmas

29. Jairus Byrd

30. Michael Griffin

Thanks Jene!

Here is my Dynasty Safety list I put together yesterday. http://dynastyfootballrankings.blogspot.com/

01. LaRon Landry

02. Eric Berry

03. Patrick Chung

04. Tyvon Branch

05. Eric Weddle

06. Roman Harper

07. Bernard Pollard

08. George Wilson

09. Yeremiah Bell

10. Dawan Landry

11. Morgan Burnett

12. Troy Polamalu

13. Kam Chancellor

14. Antoine Bethea

15. Quinton Carter

16. T.J. Ward

17. Kenny Phillips

18. Jaiquawn Jarrett

19. Dashon Goldson

20. Adrian Wilson

21. Nick Collins

22. Earl Thomas

23. Quintin Mikell

24. Antrel Rolle

25. Charles Godfrey

26. Ed Reed

27. Oshiomogho Atogwe

28. Louis Delmas

29. Jairus Byrd

30. Michael Griffin
What are your thoughts on Michael Huff? I see he's not on this list. Do you think his value is better as a CB or as a Safety (are there any talks of him moving to safety? I heard there were when Jackson was still HC). I'd like to here your thoughts as well Jene.

Is Gomes really that valuable? Didn't he start in place of Landry?
Shanahan never truly stuck with a single safety rotation -- due to injury, evaluation considerations, his own flight of ideas -- but Gomes seemed to force himself into the conversation often over the second half. In the two weeks he got the bulk of the rotational snaps, he was 6-8 and 4-1. He had another week in which he put up five solos despite playing part time. It's probably premature to say he belongs outside the electron cloud tier, but I like the way Haslett uses his safeties and there's upside there even if Fletcher re-signs alongside Riley.

I've always considered Roman Harper's DB1 status to be directly correlated to his role in Gregg Williams' defense. You must not think his production will suffer much (if any) with the addition of Spagnuolo?
Williams had a lot to do with Harper's big play opportunity. That's why I'm hopeful for both Tyvon Branch (Dennis Allen influence) and have both STL safeties relatively high (one will jump a bit when the alignments work themselves out).But Harper was 75-15 with four sacks, three INTs and eight PDs in 2007 and 82-7 with nine PDs in 2008 before Gregg Williams arrived. He gets knocked regularly for his high profile coverage mistakes -- sometimes fairly, sometimes not -- but he's one of the better all-around safeties in the league. Spagnuolo gives his strong safety lots of in-the-box responsibility and big play opportunity as well. Brian Dawkins, Gibril Wilson, Quintin Mikell and others have been very productive in the Jim Johnson/Steve Spagnuolo run scheme. Darian Stewart and Quintin Mikell combined for four sacks last year and had three INTs and 16 PDs while facing the fifth fewest pass attempts in the league. It'll also help that Harper will continue to play behind a relatively weak LB group.

Not sure I understand the Carter and Jarrett rankings as niether has proved anything yet and niether is gauranteed a starter role yet, I'd have them in the electron cloud catagory for now. I also view T. J. Ward as a bit better than "cloud" material.

Thanks for putting these up, Jene, we need things like this to carry us thru these cold, dark times.

Both lists seem like reasonable well thought out lists.

Only thing that stands out to me on both is Bethea's ranking. Seems a little low for a guy who consistently accumulates a lot of tackles with a generous assisted tackle scorer at home and, despite last year's dearth, seems to hit on enough big plays to put him in the weekly DB1 category.

With the apparent 34/hybrid switch the Colts D is moving towards, I don't see a quality LB outside of Angerer to challenge him for tackle opps, nor do I see the DL that can keeps G/C off the LB that they do have. A highly injury prone Bulitt is the only real challenge for tackles in the secondary, which is to say not much. With the poor talent to fit the new scheme, I could easily foresee him having the highest tackle opps of any S in the league.

I'd certainly have him ahead of Chung, D. Landry and Polamalu and due to health reasons L. Landry and Berry and due to situational questions possibly even Branch (contract) and Wilson (Searcy).

I'd probably park him in the 6-8 range.

Who knows with DB's tho?

Not sure I understand the Carter and Jarrett rankings as niether has proved anything yet and niether is gauranteed a starter role yet, I'd have them in the electron cloud catagory for now. I also view T. J. Ward as a bit better than "cloud" material.
Agree on Ward. He's outside the cloud tier and could be higher than that if the preseason goes well for him.The Carter and Jarrett slots are products of my bias toward a guy that I think has talent and could/should have opportunity over a guy that has already shown what he likely is. I'd rather take a shot on what I think is a higher ceiling player with a lower percentage of hitting than the lower ceiling, high percentage talent. I'm willing to be wrong on the former category because there are so many options in the second.

Both lists seem like reasonable well thought out lists.Only thing that stands out to me on both is Bethea's ranking. Seems a little low for a guy who consistently accumulates a lot of tackles with a generous assisted tackle scorer at home and, despite last year's dearth, seems to hit on enough big plays to put him in the weekly DB1 category.With the apparent 34/hybrid switch the Colts D is moving towards, I don't see a quality LB outside of Angerer to challenge him for tackle opps, nor do I see the DL that can keeps G/C off the LB that they do have. A highly injury prone Bulitt is the only real challenge for tackles in the secondary, which is to say not much. With the poor talent to fit the new scheme, I could easily foresee him having the highest tackle opps of any S in the league.I'd certainly have him ahead of Chung, D. Landry and Polamalu and due to health reasons L. Landry and Berry and due to situational questions possibly even Branch (contract) and Wilson (Searcy).I'd probably park him in the 6-8 range.Who knows with DB's tho?
Bethea is a hedge of sorts. He's either a DB1 upside or outside of the every week DB2 tier depending on how he's used. It's probably not consistent to hedge him and take a stand on Gomes, Carter and Jarrett though. I'd err on the upside tier with Bethea, too.

I think DB's are the toughest to rank out of any position during the off season. So many question marks for every team with respect to DB's.

Tom Zbikowski has to get a bump in rankings after signing with the colts, no? That offense looks like its going to be bad at least for one year, so you have to figure plenty of chances for tackles.

Tom Zbikowski has to get a bump in rankings after signing with the colts, no? That offense looks like its going to be bad at least for one year, so you have to figure plenty of chances for tackles.
Not a big fan of Zbikowski. We'll see how they line up, but I think there'll be lots of competition for numbers despite the high tackle opportunity and the assist-happy home stat crew should temper the upside a bit, too.
Where does Yeremiah Bell fit after release?
Depends entirely on where he lands. Almost certainly drops a tier, though.

Not a big fan of Zbikowski. We'll see how they line up, but I think there'll be lots of competition for numbers despite the high tackle opportunity and the assist-happy home stat crew should temper the upside a bit, too.
Is it really a safe assumption to assume that they are going to be recording tackles the same way this upcoming season that they did last season?

'Uncle Buck said:
Is it really a safe assumption to assume that they are going to be recording tackles the same way this upcoming season that they did last season?
I don't have any information that the NFL is planning a change in the input system again this year. That information came in March last year. We'll see.The only guarantees are that the league is unlikely to bring any uniformity to the stat crews on this issue and that we'll be tracking it early and extensively again.

The only guarantees are that the league is unlikely to bring any uniformity to the stat crews on this issue and that we'll be tracking it early and extensively again.
Jene, just off the top of your head - what 3-5 teams seem to be the biggest "assist giver", and what 3-5 teams are normally stingiest in this regard?I mean Washington gave a TON to Fletcher, but not really anyone else. If I recall Indy, Baltimore and the Pats were all very generous while at least St. Louis hardly gave any. Any other teams out on the extremes?

The only guarantees are that the league is unlikely to bring any uniformity to the stat crews on this issue and that we'll be tracking it early and extensively again.
Jene, just off the top of your head - what 3-5 teams seem to be the biggest "assist giver", and what 3-5 teams are normally stingiest in this regard?I mean Washington gave a TON to Fletcher, but not really anyone else. If I recall Indy, Baltimore and the Pats were all very generous while at least St. Louis hardly gave any. Any other teams out on the extremes?
In 2011, IND, NE, CIN, WAS were the most assist heavy stat crews. STL, SF and PHI the least heavy.

Thoughts on LaRon now that he's with the Jets? Same tier? Same upside?
To add to this, how does it impact Washington? Do you see the backfield being the same this year as it was toward the end of last year? Maybe Gomes emerging since the staff seemed to favor him over doughty?

I saw Rotoworld has Reed Doughty behind Brandon Merriweather at SS and DeJon Gomes behind Cedric Griffen at FS

"Meriweather agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with Washington on Thursday. The Redskins are starting the task of replacing last year's safety tandem of LaRon Landry and Oshiomogho Atogwe. The 28-year-old Meriweather was a first-round draft pick by New England in 2007 and was a two-time Pro Bowl player with the Patriots before he was cut at the end of last year's training camp. He then signed with Chicago but was a disappointment with the Bears, losing his starting job early in the season. The Redskins need help after at safety after cutting the underperforming Atogwe on Monday. The team didn't re-sign Landry, who is recovering from an Achilles injury."

"Free agent cornerback Cedric Griffin agreed Friday to a one-year deal which could be worth as much as $2.5 million, according to The Washington Post.<p> Griffin was cut last week by Minnesota, where he played for six seasons. He came back after tearing the ACL in both knees in 2010 to play in all 16 games last year, but he wasn't able to regain his previous form, was benched late in the season and expressed dissatisfaction with his demotion."

I wouldn't put much stock in Rotoworlds depth chart here, but Merriweather could steal some snaps at SS.

Any word when you might get to CB's. I am in many cb starting leagues and need some help.

I know CB's are hard to rank.

Here are some of the CB's I have currently. Scoring 2pt tackle 1pt assist 6pt int 2pt pass defense 4pt fumble recovery 8pt sack

Any of these stand out? Rankings for these CB's? It's dynasty.

Browner, Brandon SEA CB

Grimes, Brent ATL CB

Sherman, Richard SEA CB

Winfield, Antoine MIN CB

Verner, Alterraun TEN CB

Fletcher, Bradley STL CB

Thanks in advance.

Any word when you might get to CB's. I am in many cb starting leagues and need some help.
Me too, :lol: .I started looking at the DB group again this morning and I think it's I think I'm going to have to do a full set of projections for the DBs to help tease out the group between the potential elites and the stream from the waiver wire group. That's the most important group for focus on for me.I'd really, really like to get that done before I start producing draft content, but it's going to be tough. At worst, it'll be done very shortly after the draft to make our first deadline for rankings.

Any indication on if Samuels will be traded? If he does where would that put Cromardie?

What's the deal with Chung ?

He was really mediocre at the end of 2011 and he played all the snaps so I don't know if injuries are an alibi here

Jene - who do you see getting the other Safety job in Cincy. I heard good things about Taylor Mays but does Iloka come in and start right away?

Jene - who do you see getting the other Safety job in Cincy. I heard good things about Taylor Mays but does Iloka come in and start right away?
Not Jene obv, but I am assuming Mays is the starter right now. Whether he is just a place-holder, or he is actually the plan remains to be seen. He hasn't really shown anything in Cincy, but neither have Sands or the rookie Iloka. Honestly, in any of their cases you're looking at a pretty awful player and playing them purely on situation as the starter on a team with suspect tacklers at LB. Iloka may have potential to be more than that, but there is no way to know that now.There is also the chance that one of the CB's (Allen, Clements, whoever) gets moved to safety. We have potentially a glut of CB's and a hole at safety.In bigger leagues, Mays is probably worth a shot at his low price. There is probably a 50% chance or better he opens as the starter.

Not Jene obv, but I am assuming Mays is the starter right now. Whether he is just a place-holder, or he is actually the plan remains to be seen. He hasn't really shown anything in Cincy, but neither have Sands or the rookie Iloka. Honestly, in any of their cases you're looking at a pretty awful player and playing them purely on situation as the starter on a team with suspect tacklers at LB. Iloka may have potential to be more than that, but there is no way to know that now.There is also the chance that one of the CB's (Allen, Clements, whoever) gets moved to safety. We have potentially a glut of CB's and a hole at safety.In bigger leagues, Mays is probably worth a shot at his low price. There is probably a 50% chance or better he opens as the starter.
Is Reggie Nelson still there?

Doesn't DQ'well Jackson still play there :mellow:

'Packerz said:
Doesn't DQ'well Jackson still play there :mellow:
No, he would play for the OTHER ohio team. :) CIN has pretty crappy linebacking play, unless Mauluga turns it on finally.

Is Reggie Nelson still there?
Yes, opposite safety position. He's been rock solid and got an extension so all these other guys are pretty much competing for the other spot. Nelson basically never comes off the field (knock on wood).

Is Tyrell Johnson the starting SS in Miami. I've seen some depth charts have Clemons and some have Johnson. But most of the projections/ rankings have Johnson fairly high and nothing for Clemons.

Hey Jene. Looking forward to your updated DB Tiers. I drafted Jarrett high in an IDP league last year and has been entrenched on my Practice Squad ever since. So, you can imagine my dismay with Andy Reid's comments today about his starters being Coleman and Allen.

What do you make of that? Obviously we cant know what Reid's thinking is, but i've never SEEN Jarrett play, so i'm not sure if he has the talent to win the job, or what the true Outlook is for Coleman/Allen.

Thanks!

Just updated my Safety rankings... http://www.365fantasyfootball.com/2012/05/idp-dynasty-rankings-safety.html

Also did the same for CB's... http://www.365fantasyfootball.com/2012/05/idp-cb-dynasty-rankings-2012.html

Jene I am curious to see what you think, and when you will have your version 2.0 posted.
Thanks for these. It's a good reference. One I would specifically question is Antoine Winfield. I've loved this guy in fantasy for years, but he has so many factors working against him. Even if he recovers, his role seems to be up in the air for this season. If he gets on the field enough to warrant a top 20 redraft position, I'd still wonder if 2012 is it for him.

Tick: I need to get more into tier breaks and rankings, Jene does a better job of that then me. If I had to drop the S/CB's into tiers I would put them something like this:

Safety

Tier #1

01. Eric Berry KC

02. Tyvon Branch OAK

03. Morgan Burnett GB

04. Kam Chancellor SEA

05. Eric Weddle SD

06. Roman Harper NO

Tier #2

07. Patrick Chung NE

08. George Wilson BUF

09. Mark Barron TB

10. Antoine Bethea IND

11. Bernard Pollard BAL

Tier #3

12. Troy Polamalu PIT

13. Dawan Landry JAC

14. T.J. Ward CLE

15. Quintin Mikell STL

16. LaRon Landry NYJ

17. Darian Stewart STL

Tier #4

18. Earl Thomas SEA

19. Kenny Phillips NYG

20. Louis Delmas DET

21. Antrel Rolle NYG

22. Reggie Nelson CIN

Tier #5

23. Quinton Carter DEN

24. Charles Godfrey CAR

25. Yeremiah Bell NYJ

26. Jairus Byrd BUF

27. Kerry Rhodes ARI

28. Malcolm Jenkins NO

29. Harrison Smith MIN

CB's

Tier #1

01. Charles Tillman CHI

02. Patrick Peterson ARI

03. Jason McCourty TEN

04. Brandon Flowers KC

05. Lardarius Webb BAL

06. DeAngelo Hall WAS

Tier #2

07. Charles Woodson GB

08. Tramon Williams GB

09. Terrell Thomas NYG

10. Eric Wright TB

Tier #3

11. Richard Marshall MIA

12. Morris Claiborne DAL

13. Brandon Browner SEA

14. Dre Kirkpatrick CIN

15. Joe Haden CLE

16. Brandon Carr DAL

17. Kyle Arrington NE

Tier #4

18. Stephon Gilmore BUF

19. Devin McCourty NE

20. Cortland Finnegan STL

21. Antoine Winfield MIN

22. Brent Grimes ATL

Tier #5

23. Darelle Revis NYJ

24. Jimmy Smith BAL

25. Jonathan Joseph HOU

26. Jerraud Powers IND

27. Janoris Jenkins STL

28. Patrick Robinson NO

Just updated my Safety rankings... http://www.365fantasyfootball.com/2012/05/idp-dynasty-rankings-safety.html

Also did the same for CB's... http://www.365fantasyfootball.com/2012/05/idp-cb-dynasty-rankings-2012.html

Jene I am curious to see what you think, and when you will have your version 2.0 posted.
Thanks for these. It's a good reference. One I would specifically question is Antoine Winfield. I've loved this guy in fantasy for years, but he has so many factors working against him. Even if he recovers, his role seems to be up in the air for this season. If he gets on the field enough to warrant a top 20 redraft position, I'd still wonder if 2012 is it for him.
CB is a tricky IDP position to rank while it is split individually away from Safety. Winfield is definitely past his prime, turning 35 next month but he is still in a decent position on a team that plays in a pass first division. I ranked him at #21 for all the CB's (excluding Safety), he does have injury, and age, and depth chart to worry about. But if you are in a start CB IDP league he is worth a flier, it is not like Charles Woodson is getting any younger either. I think you are right 2012 is probably the end of the road for him. When I am forced to start a CB I like to look for Rookies (young inexperienced NFL players) or the older seasoned vets, and think they have a higher potential to put up bigger fantasy numbers.

Version 2.0

NOTE 1

The electron cloud tier that I included here this winter still exists. Once we enter drafting season, I generally ignore that group of players altogether until I'm forced to add and start them in my lineup. If you feel strongly about a player like Michael Griffin or Reggie Nelson, etc, drop them in your High Floor DB2 tier and give them a draftable grade. That DB tier will expand as training camp provides clarity on secondary play and the WR3/WR4/etc battles on the offensive side and I'm less willing to spend a draft pick / roster slot on a speculative offensive flyer.

Check my 1-60 DB rankings (to be posted in the next 24-48 hours) if you're in a dynasty league and wondering which of your cloud DB candidates to consider holding.

NOTE 2

This summer is more like the summer of 2009 and 2010 if you're looking for a sleeper safety. Last season, it was clearly evident very early that Kam Chancellor and George Wilson would be in the right opportunity and likely stay undervalued through August. That's something of an anomaly. It generally takes until early training camp for guys like Yeremiah Bell, Tyvon Branch, LaRon Landry, Donte Whitner, etc, etc to emerge as relatively sure things.I'm not willing to stand on the table for any "sleeper safety du jour" yet. Mark Barron fits the DB-who-wasn't-ranked-in-the-top-XX-to-breakout bill, but he won't be undervalued. If you're trying to stay ahead of your leaguemates, I'd roster Taylor Mays, Brandon Taylor, Jaiquawn Jarrett or Harrison Smith. I expect at least one of them to make the stud/undervalued safety cut by August. And I expect one unexpected name to join them, so stay tuned.

ELITE DB1

Tyvon Branch

Eric Berry

George Wilson

Kam Chancellor

Roman Harper

NEAR ELITE DB1

Morgan Burnett

Eric Weddle

Bernard Pollard

Antoine Bethea

Mark Barron