What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Free agency isn't over...

I have no problem with the strategy of letting these other teams overpay guys for 9 sacks.  The Bucs have already gone down that road in free agency the last few years with little success.  Would Vernon or Jackson have made us better in the short term?  Sure.  But at what cost?  Are they truly elite difference makers?  None of these players are really all that great, so why pay them like it?  Doug is elite and they retained him.

My only gripe so far is not going after Mario at all.  2 years at $8M per?  His deal could have been beaten. 

Rick Stroud had an interesting stat on the radio this morning regarding the big money free agents.  He said of the last 66 free agents who signed for an AAV of $6M+ per year only 6 of them made the playoffs with their new team.  Think about that.

My only major gripe so far has been keeping Vjax for 10 mil.  If you love the guy, then give him a 2-3 year front loaded deal so he can retire a Buc.  I still think he has a few good half seasons in him, but 10 mil for 1year is kind of hefty.

Despite me not believing in giving big contracts to RBs, I think we got a bargain on Doug compared to Ivory.  I thought for a minute he was going to demand McCoy or Murray coin.

It's still early, but I want something... Anything... On defense.

I don't know much about his play in recent years, but it can't be difficult to beat out the current personnel.  That group was amongst the worst in the league.

This should provide a little more clarity to the direction we go in the draft.  I highly doubt we go Hargreaves now, as some have speculated.

Ayers 3yr 22mil.  I'll take it.  Now add some rookie DL in April.  You can never have enough pass rushers.

LaConfora reporting they've turned down a second for Glennon.  :confused:

Even if it was Denver's I'd take it.  Licht might be one Hell of a poker player though.

Ayers and Grimes on 3 and 2 year deals respectively.  :thumbup:

I wasn't listening but someone told me that big dog was saying on the radio that Ayers has a bum shoulder.  Duemigs agent was Ayers old agent.  The agent claims he recommended he retire.  Did anyone hear this yesterday?

Someone posted this on Joebucsfan,

There is a caveat to this signing. Big Dog has the same agent as ayers used to have. he apparently told big dog he stopped representing him because he has a bad shoulder and should retire. agent gave permission to quote him since it was common knowledge.Hope licht and co. checked this out.Agent also said he would only make it 12 or 13 games. hope he got some kind of solution to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as Glenon, I think his value increases closer to draft.  And a 2nd from Denver is the last pick in the 2nd round, which I still think would be worth it.

Once the FA QB's sign Glennon's market will materialize. 

I'm very happy with who they've signed.  Mankins was replaced almost immediately with Sweezy.  Great young run blocker with upside.  I like that they focused on the second tier of free agents.  Jackson and Vernon aren't worth three times what they're paying Ayers.  Grimes is on the back end of his career, and his wife is crazy apparently, but they needed another body in the secondary. 

They finally seem to be at a point where they can truly approach the draft with a best player available mentality.  With the way Licht has added talent through his selections it seems like this franchise is moving in the right direction.

Draft thoughts?

Am I wrong for hoping Stanley falls in their lap and they take him?  Then just go defense the rest of the way after that? 

I'm crossing my fingers that the ecstacy rumors cause Bosa to fall in our laps.  Charlie Campbell of Walterfootball had us taking the OLB from UGA, Leonard Floyd.  There is a 620 podcast available on the iheart app where Charlie is a guest talking about Floyd's fit.  He says he can play LB & line up at DE.

Pewter Report has us taking Sheldon Rankins DT from Louisville.

I think after the Grimes signing it's unlikely we go Hargreaves.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Noah Spence or Robert Nkemdiche if they are around in the second.

Grahamburn said:
Draft thoughts?

Am I wrong for hoping Stanley falls in their lap and they take him?  Then just go defense the rest of the way after that? 
I think our line is fine personally. I want Coleman from Baylor just so they can keep loading Jameis up. 

Veteran linebacker Daryl Smith will sign with the Buccaneers, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Thursday night.

Smith, 34, started every game the past three seasons for the Ravens. He had three sacks and an interception last season and has been an ironman except for an injury-shortened 2012 season, when he was limited to two games.

Smith has started 172 of 174 games in his 12-year career.

The Ravens cut Smith, probably for salary cap reasons, before the start of free agency. He played his first nine seasons with the Jaguars, who drafted him in the second round in 2004.
I'm really liking this off-season.

They have pretty much filled all of the major holes, so we have some flexibility in the draft.  I definitely want to see D line.  I think I am on board with the guy Pewter Report has in the 1st, DT Sheldon Rankins.  A DE might make more sense, but after seeing what Donald did in Stl, I think 2 really good DTs is the way to go in today's NFL.

Rookie DEs don't tend to make as immediate of an impact imo.  However, I don't think they can pass on Bosa if he falls.

I'm really liking this off-season.
I am too. Feels like they've filled the major holes and importantly, added some gray to a young defense that needed it . As long as the expectation for all these guys is 1-2 solid years and draft their replacements we should be in good shape. And hopefully that allows them to just take BPA in the draft, whomever that is. 

I'm usually overly optimistic about this team in March though. To a fault. I've liked most of their moves the last few years. Other than trading Revis. :rolleyes:

Definitely feels a little different this time around. Once the quarterback is in place it seems to give the other additions a better chance to work out positively and they don't have to throw picks at the position.

I really like that they added guys at every level of the defense on short term deals. They're spending in the right spots without getting crazy.

After reading that article I posted before I really think this defense can have a quick turnaround. Lovie was such an imbecile. 

I'm usually overly optimistic about this team in March though. To a fault. I've liked most of their moves the last few years. Other than trading Revis. :rolleyes:

Definitely feels a little different this time around. Once the quarterback is in place it seems to give the other additions a better chance to work out positively and they don't have to throw picks at the position.

I really like that they added guys at every level of the defense on short term deals. They're spending in the right spots without getting crazy.

After reading that article I posted before I really think this defense can have a quick turnaround. Lovie was such an imbecile. 
He really really was the worst. I am curious to see what the Vegas W/L goes to. Only at 6.5 wins now. Makes me wonder if improvement is really coming. 

The Rams trade kind of shakes things up.  The early rumors had Ramsey as #1 to Tennessee, but now i could see him fall.  I'm still not sure how to gauge our DB need.  Let's hope Verner & Banks can revive their careers.

All signs point to DL, and that seems like the logical choice.  

Not saying they should, but the #2 pick is likely available for much less now.

Expensive to move up for Ramsey.  Like most arm chair GM's I'd prefer they trade down, draft Coleman in the #15 area, and then draft defense the rest of the way.  Maybe someone will get antsy to draft Lynch or Tennessee will want to move back up into the top 10 for an "elite" player by giving away one or two of their boatloads of picks.

If they sit tight one of the better consensus defensive players should be available, but I'd love to see them add offense in the first and defense thereafter.  Pewter Report has been mocking Rankins to them.  :shrug:

Nobody really has me all that excited right now. 

Hargreaves would probably be the "fan pick" since he is a local guy & a gator.  We just got an undersized CB with Grimes, so I don't know if we head in that direction.  However, Grimes isn't a long term solution at CB, and it is arguable that we still need CB's.  Again, Banks & Verner are an enigma at this point.

All signs point to pass rush imo.  The guy that really intrigues me is Noah Spence.  He could be the best pass rusher in the draft, but he is a knuckle head.  The DE from Ole Miss, Nkemdiche is another guy with character concerns with a lot of upside.  We brought him in for a visit iirc, and he could be an option in the 2nd.

I have seen speculation that Cleveland might like Paxton Lynch.  That would be great if 3 QBs went before us.  Crazy draft year. 

Rick Stroud ?@NFLSTROUD  2m2 minutes ago
Not sure what this means, but three of #Bucs four QBs remained after walk-thru to work with @BucsCoachJake. @Mike_Glennon did not.

I think the ideal situation would be to find a trade partner from 15-25 that might want to move up to grab Ezekiel Elliot, an OT, Hargreaves, or even Paxton Lynch. 

Then we grab the best DL available.  I would say the DT from Louisville or Noah Spence.  It seems like #9 would be a reach for either, but I'd be happy grabbing them around 15.

Just got a text from someone who knows someone who knows a Bucs scout. So take it fwiw.  He said the guy said he hates Bosa.  Likes Buckner, Floyd, and Ramsey.

I like him more now that Licht picked up an additional 4th, still landed Hargreaves, and there are several pass rushers still available at the top of the 2nd. 

He always stood out when I watched the Gators. Constantly around the ball making plays. 

I agree, being able to grab an extra 4th was a nice maneuver by Licht.

I am glad they went defense, but would have thought Dline was the obvious direction.  Maybe I was overly optimistic about the value of Banks & Verner.  It's still a huge need.

After analyzing the selection a little more, I understand it completely.  First off, Grimes is only on a 2 year deal.  Verner & Banks looked bad last season, and their contracts are up soon, if they don't get cut. Haha.  Even if one of them bounces back, you need 3 CBs in the league now.  

There is still some really good D-line available in the draft.  You can also switch out D line personnel depending on situations.  We aren't going to find an "every down" DE at this point, and not many even exist in the league.  However, we may have found an "every down" CB.  Experiencing the Revis saga has taught us all how valuable an elite CB can be.  

They did take Noah Spence at the top of the round, but I admit to being a little :mellow:  following the Aguayo selection. 

Poor kicking cost Tampa at least 3 games last year though. This guy has the ability to really effect the outcome of games with his accuracy and kickoff ability. 

With the new rules the importance of the kicking game is magnified. 

I thought Barth finished the season well, but I guess they thought Aguayo was too good to pass up.  We have had some really bad 2nd round picks, so hopefully he beats the trend. (Dexter Jackson, Sears, Brian Price, Arelius Benn...)

I absolutely love the Noah Spence pick.  Charley Campbell ofWalterfootball had him ranked as the #1 pass rushing DE this year.  He may not be in on ealry downs, but should be able to really help out McCoy & the DTs.

In unrelated news, I got in a cab last night and was talking about Kenny Bell with my buddy.  I said he never quite had the training camp buzz like Mike Williams, so the verdict is still out.  The Nigeria cab driver said "Mike Williams who played for Bucs?  He owes me $90".

Apparently, the cab driver took a stripper on a $190 trip, and when he got to the house, they only gave him $100.  Mike Williams told the cab driver to meet him at a gas station and he would use the ATM.  The cab driver went there, and he never showed up or answered his phone.

Verner and Banks must be complete trash if we just drafted another CB. Liking the Hargreaves pick even more.

I don't really get it. Kickers aren't normally drafted at all, right? He'll have to be the best kicker in the league for years to justify that high a pick (and trade), because all the other top kickers will have been acquired for nothing.

Quez said:
Verner and Banks must be complete trash if we just drafted another CB. Liking the Hargreaves pick even more.
I think they're planning on using Smith as a safety?  Also, Grimes is on a short deal.  Banks is in the last year of his.  They can cut Verner after this season with minimal cap impact.  It made sense to double up on defensive backs.

I'm still trying to justify Aguayo to myself.  There were some pretty highly rated players on the board when they took him.  If they thought he'd be gone by their actual third round pick then so be it.  You let someone else invest that pick and move on.  Trading up for him was ridiculous.  But, welcome to the team.  If his accuracy continues on some big kicks and he's able to pin teams deep with high kickoffs then we'll all be happy.  Koetter called him a "generational talent."

They must be pretty high on Bell too because they didn't take any additional WRs.

Maybe they think drafting a kicker could be beneficial to the cap.  I know teams don't like to have too much invested in the position, and the vet min is sometimes higher than they want to pay.  If they could get a top 5-10 kicker for 4 years, then maybe it is a deal?  I'm also trying to wrap my head around it...

I thought Barth did fine when he replaced Brenza.

*eta*

Here are the cap numbers for kickers.  He is a 4 year bargain if he is a top 5-10 kicker.  A 2-3 mil a year savings.

http://overthecap.com/position/kicker/

Barth kinda sucks. He's just league average at best and is only going to get worse. I mean, they just cut him last August. 

I don't love the pick but I do understand it, I guess. Would've rather had a safety but they like the kid taken in the 4th and he's moving there. 

Can we talk about the Dline though? Looking good. 

Ja. Smith/McDonald/McCoy/Ayers

Jones/Gholston/A Spence/N Spence/maybe George Johnson 

I love Spence, but I thought they would have added depth on day 3.  Maybe they  are still high on some of the guys not named McCoy.

Spence was who I wanted. I liked the defensive additions. That infusion of talent and the scheme change should at least get them back to respectability. The line was good against the run. They just needed some rush. Signed Ayers. Drafted Spence.

Maybe that's what they're thinking with Aguayo? If they improve enough on defense and Jameis takes a step forward then they're pretty close. Add in some confidence that you can leave the field on 4th down and get 3 points. 

I just can't help but think they've taken play for the field goal to another level here though.  I've longed for the luxury of knowing who the QB is on draft day for years so they could stop wasting picks on the position. I never expected those picks to be used on kickers. 

If they start winning nobody will care or complain about what round he was drafted. 

I don't think the market for Glennon was anywhere near a 3rd, maybe not even a 4th.  The QB needy teams all chose to address the position in the draft.  I'm fine with that.  I like him as a backup.

Goff, Jared STL (1-1)
Wentz, Carson PHI (1-2)
Lynch, Paxton DEN (1-26)
Hackenberg, Christian NYJ (2-20)
Brissett, Jacoby NEP (3-29)
Kessler, Cody CLE (3-31)
Cook, Connor OAK (4-2)
Prescott, Dak DAL (4-37)
Jones, Cardale BUF (4-41)
Hogan, Kevin KCC (5-25)
Sudfeld, Nate WAS (6-12)
Rudock, Jake DET (6-16)
Allen, Brandon JAC (6-26)
Driskel, Jeff SF (6-32)
Doughty, Brandon MIA (7-2)

I'm kind of obsessed with this Aguayo pick. 

If Bill Belichick and the Patriots made this selection the media would highlight the rule changes and New England's front office would be lauded as progressive thinkers who are always ahead of the rest of the NFL.

The Bucs make it and it's the worst selection in the history of the NFL draft?  Come on.

If Bill Belichick and the Patriots made this selection the media would highlight the rule changes and New England's front office would be lauded as progressive thinkers who are always ahead of the rest of the NFL.

The Bucs make it and it's the worst selection in the history of the NFL draft?  Come on.
This is true 

This is true 

But NE didn't take him.

Users who are viewing this thread