What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Huge for this defense. The guys obviously bought in and picked it up in the second half of the year.

All offseasons are important, but this one is paramount. Take advantage of the current cap space before the young stars need extensions. 
Very big news. Exciting. And yes, need to cash in now before Jameis and Mike are getting 37M a year combined. 

Sweezy cleared to play.  Huge addition if he can make an impact on the line.  I think Hawley wants starter money but I doubt Licht will give it to him.  Especially with this news.  Hoping he'll take back up dollars to stay in Tampa because they need the depth.  If not Marpet can move to center with Pamphile at LG and Sweezy at RG. 

Gholston should be their #1 priority now.  Then I'd like to see them extend Evans vs. paying big money to someone like Alshon.  Paying an outsider that kind of money before getting Evans extended could result in serious locker room issues.  I hope they focus more on a veteran complimentary WR2 type on a shorter term deal in free agency at this point.  I'm not at all opposed to trying to restructure Doug either.  If they get Quizz back as well they should be fine at that position and won't need to invest a premium pick there.  Throw a 4th or 5th round pick at another young guy in a deep draft.  The Adrian Peterson talk is nonsense.

Have to focus on receiving weapons for Jameis in a weapon heavy draft.  If they make some of these preemptive moves they'll be in that perfect BPA spot.  Drafting seems so much easier when the QB is already in place.  I think they're in a pretty good spot in the draft too.  I'm not very high on Ross.  If they can grab a veteran WR in free agency I'm really big on Howard from Alabama.  If Koetter can figure out how to implement him and Brate into the passing offense with Evans and a solid WR2 on the outside they're in business.  He could be what we were all hoping for from ASJ.  He'd also help with protections.  Part of my issues with Koetter were his tendencies, but I do think a lot of that was due to personnel.  If Brate was in the game it's a passing play.  Stocker or Myers was a running play.  It was pretty obvious to me, so I'm sure the defenses picked up on it.  Howard would change that.

If Fournette, Cook, Williams, Davis, and Howard are all gone there's a pretty good chance one of the DE's Barnett or Charles Harris are available.  WR, RB, and TE are all deep so it makes sense to grab the pass rusher early and then load up at those three positions with some secondary help mixed in. 

Profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason in particular you guys were saying a month ago to go for a vet WR? I don't see the significance in having a vet out there personally. There's not much of a teaching aspect one could provide to Evans. He seems to have the NFL down pretty darn well already. I would go for a young guy, maybe out of the draft, just to have that main 3 piece core (with Brate) for Winston around for a long time.

ShamrockPride said:
Any reason in particular you guys were saying a month ago to go for a vet WR? I don't see the significance in having a vet out there personally. There's not much of a teaching aspect one could provide to Evans. He seems to have the NFL down pretty darn well already. I would go for a young guy, maybe out of the draft, just to have that main 3 piece core (with Brate) for Winston around for a long time.
Bridge the gap.  I don't think there's a WR in the draft ready to step in right away other than Williams or Davis, and I expect them to be gone by the time TB picks.  Jameis has Evans and then a bunch of undrafted guys.  I like Brate too, but he isn't an explosive player, and he doesn't offer much as a blocker.

There isn't much out there as far as WRs go.  Guys that interest me would be Robert Woods and Kenny Stills.  Get one of them and then draft someone else early and develop them. 

Sweezy cleared to play.  Huge addition if he can make an impact on the line.  I think Hawley wants starter money but I doubt Licht will give it to him.  Especially with this news.  Hoping he'll take back up dollars to stay in Tampa because they need the depth.  If not Marpet can move to center with Pamphile at LG and Sweezy at RG. 

Gholston should be their #1 priority now.  Then I'd like to see them extend Evans vs. paying big money to someone like Alshon.  Paying an outsider that kind of money before getting Evans extended could result in serious locker room issues.  I hope they focus more on a veteran complimentary WR2 type on a shorter term deal in free agency at this point.  I'm not at all opposed to trying to restructure Doug either.  If they get Quizz back as well they should be fine at that position and won't need to invest a premium pick there.  Throw a 4th or 5th round pick at another young guy in a deep draft.  The Adrian Peterson talk is nonsense.

Have to focus on receiving weapons for Jameis in a weapon heavy draft.  If they make some of these preemptive moves they'll be in that perfect BPA spot.  Drafting seems so much easier when the QB is already in place.  I think they're in a pretty good spot in the draft too.  I'm not very high on Ross.  If they can grab a veteran WR in free agency I'm really big on Howard from Alabama.  If Koetter can figure out how to implement him and Brate into the passing offense with Evans and a solid WR2 on the outside they're in business.  He could be what we were all hoping for from ASJ.  He'd also help with protections.  Part of my issues with Koetter were his tendencies, but I do think a lot of that was due to personnel.  If Brate was in the game it's a passing play.  Stocker or Myers was a running play.  It was pretty obvious to me, so I'm sure the defenses picked up on it.  Howard would change that.

If Fournette, Cook, Williams, Harris, and Howard are all gone there's a pretty good chance one of the DE's Barnett or Charles Harris are available.  WR, RB, and TE are all deep so it makes sense to grab the pass rusher early and then load up at those three positions with some secondary help mixed in. 

Profit.
Hmmm. I agree with Alshon not making more than Mike, but even if he does it will be temporarily. 

Jamies needs weapons now which is why I want Alshon. A rookie will need a year to develop and the rest of the FA cropnis garbage. 

I agree with the line. Sweezy should help, as well Marpet, Smith and Pamphile going into year 3. 

I don't agree on the RB situation. None of these guys have the ability to break a big run. We need somebody dynamic there. Quiz is a fine backup but shouldn't be starting. Doug almost definitely is gone. 

There's only so much money, but it's hard to not get excited about an Alshon and Evans combo.  I don't think Licht (nor the Glazers) will go this route though.  Alshon will warrant $12M+ per year.  He's been pretty injury prone already in his career, and now has a suspension under his belt.  Evans will warrant $14M per year.  It's a good problem to have, but the Bucs have also finally drafted a few players who should be given second contracts in the near future.  Winston, Evans, Brate, Marpet, Kwon, Gholston.  Maybe Donovan Smith if he shows a little more in year 3.  If you can afford all of these guys and get Alshon then I'm all for it, but if you're sacrificing from the home grown core I'd rather not. 

I agree the crop of free agent WRs is less than desirable, but there are certainly guys that could help.  DeSean Jackson and Kenny Stills fit exactly what they need and won't command insane dollars.  Licht also has a recent trend of signing a veteran to a shorter deal (Grimes and Ayers) and subsequently drafting his replacement early (Hargreaves and Spence).  I don't think there's any argument that they need at least 2 impact receivers added in this off-season.  Signing one of the above and drafting someone like Ross if they like him gives the offense an immediate speed infusion they've never had.  Koetter hasn't shut up about "explosives."

I admit it's probably wishful thinking on my part to think they can restructure Doug.  I expect them to draft a back in one of the first three rounds whether they made that happen or not.

William Gholston re-signed to a 5 year deal.  It's about time we have some draft picks getting re-upped with a second contract in Tampa!

Shaping up to be a really nice off-season.  I think we'll look back on this one, and if the moves work out, say 2017 was the year the Bucs finally took the necessary steps to get back to respectability.

DeSean supposedly flying in today. 

Amazingly L-A-Z-Y takes offset by #s - Throwing deep: did Kirk Cousins make DJax or did DJax make Kirk? Look at what Kirk did w & w/o DJax-> https://t.co/Lgp4kK2KsW
I've always thought it was pretty funny when people say Jameis throws a poor deep ball.  I think it will make a pretty big difference when the receiver running under it is DeSean Jackson and not Freddy Martino.

This guy is exactly what the offense needed.  I hope it's official soon.

Amazingly L-A-Z-Y takes offset by #s - Throwing deep: did Kirk Cousins make DJax or did DJax make Kirk? Look at what Kirk did w & w/o DJax-> https://t.co/Lgp4kK2KsW
I've always thought it was pretty funny when people say Jameis throws a poor deep ball.  I think it will make a pretty big difference when the receiver running under it is DeSean Jackson and not Freddy Martino.

Grahamburn said:

People say that about Jameis? They clearly never watched his combine. That dude had the best deep throws I've ever seen in the combine. Hit every WR in perfect stride down the field. Almost as good a deep ball as Russ.

I like D-Jax, I felt he was underrated, and still think he has plenty of ball as an elite wr.  12 mil sounds high, if that's the number he wants, but after seeing what Glennon made, I guess you gotta pay like crazy these days.  I'm a little worried about having that much wrapped up at the wr position.

I'd love the signing though.  Jameis needs another weapon.

DeSean is official as is Chris Baker, DT from Washington also.  Chris Conte and Quizz have re-signed.  I think we're finally going places, Bucs' fans.

I love what we are doing so far, but let's not forget all the other great FA years... 

I have been reading really good things about Chris Baker, and we apparently got him at a good price.  Him, McCoy, & Spence are going to cause nightmares for opposing QBs.

Signed Nick Folk...not sure if I like this. That kind of competition will either make Aguayo step up to the plate, or it's going to cause him to implode. He finished the year off strong, so not sure why they're trying to mess with this guy's fragile head by giving him competition.

Signed Nick Folk...not sure if I like this. That kind of competition will either make Aguayo step up to the plate, or it's going to cause him to implode. He finished the year off strong, so not sure why they're trying to mess with this guy's fragile head by giving him competition.
It's the big leagues.  They can't go into the season with a kicker who can't make anything outside of 40 yards.  71% isn't going to get it done. 

If it causes him to implode then he can piss off anyways. 

Draft fast approaching.

I'm not sure where Licht and Koetter are leaning in the first round, but I do think they'll come away with these positions in the first five rounds (S, WR, RB, DE, and TE).  The order they come off the board will be the most intriguing of course, and luckily for the organization and us fans there aren't any desperate needs to be filled so they can draft against the grain of any positional runs.  Maybe they can trade back with a team wanting to move up for one of the QB's or offensive linemen.  Houston comes to mind.

With the depth of the other positions in the draft I'd like to see Derek Barnett or Charles Harris at 19 if they can't trade back and go from there.  I'm expecting the offense to take off, and if they can get a relentless pass rush going with talent and depth on the line the wins will start coming in droves.  In the next four rounds draft explosive weapons for Jameis at WR, TE, RB, and mix in a safety somewhere.  If they can trade back take Budda Baker late first and get another DE later.  Golden.

Have to nail this one, Jason.

TE Howard. What do we think? I just hope they plan on going Gronk/Hernandez. Brate deserves to be on that field as well. If they only plan to replace and not utilize both, we should have drafted a guy who will start somewhere else.

Absolutely love this pick and can't believe he fell to us. 

I love the pick.  Great value, and a position of need. We finally have a QB, so I'm glad to see them building around him this offseason.

I love Cook, but don't like taking RBs in the first.  I'm a little concerned about a TE's learning curve, as they say it's hard for a TE to step right in and make an early impact.  However, Brate will help take some of the pressure off.  I hear he is a great blocker, so that should help out our  mediocre OT's. A++

Comments from some Falcons and Panthers fans after the pick posted over at Pewter Report:

Atl
“Howard to the bucs. ****”
“Winston and Howard.. thats a tough assignment.”
“OJ Howard to the Bucs is a PROBLEM.”
“****”
“I hate the Bucs but **** that offense is going to be good.”
“Love watching our own fans pee their pants over our rival teams.”
“Evans/Jackson/Brate/Howard Not bad.”

Car
“Smh bucs just grabbed a steal.”
“Well, if we dont win the division, Bucs are.”
“OH fug TAMPA with the triple towers damn”
“I knew it the Bucs are beyond loaded”
“And that folks, how you build a team around franchise QB”

What do we do day 2?  RB & DB still seem to be the biggest needs.  Could they really be considering keeping Martin?  I thought his screw up was an easy out on a terrible contract.  The locals all want Marlon Mack.  

Sit tight and take another great player.  Several good ones still available. 

I think they really like Doug, and it sends a message to the team that they really are a family if they keep him.  They should add someone in the 3rd or 4th at RB, but unless Cook falls to 50 I'd go defense in round 2.  Jordan Willis.  Budda Baker. 

From Koetter:

"We said we needed more explosive players and this is an explosive player. He just plays inside instead of outside and we’ve been fortunate to add speed on the outside with DeSean Jackson to pair up with Mike and now we’ve got two tight ends to pair side by side in Cam (Brate) and O.J."

Thank God. Sounds like they will use the two together. Only thing that made sense.

So the question for Day 2 becomes do we trade up for Cook? Anybody think that should be a priority? It would pretty much complete the offense.

I know we need help on D, but while we're here in Indy-mode, just like the Colts burying Luck with weapons, we may as well do the same for Winston. The rest of the draft can go the way of defense.

Howard is a 6'6 monster who runs a 4.5 and is practically a perfect prospect in every way.  You take that guy whether you have Brate or not.

If Cook gets to 50 I'm all for it, but he's falling for a reason.  Do not trade up.  There are too many good players in this draft to get cute like that.  The Falcons and Saints are ridiculously good on offense.  The Panthers just drafted McCaffrey.  I'd prefer a defensive player. 

Evans isn't much of a tackler.  Big hitter.  Highlight reel player.  They needed more of a centerfielder coverage type of safety anyway.  Added some depth.  I would have preferred Wills from KState here.  The FSU DE Walker went one pick later.  There was a huge run on the DBs before they made this pick. 

Ignoring both of the lines seems like bad strategy to me.  They're really counting on Sweezy.  With the offense that is being built I'd like to see them have continuously fresh players on the defensive line to get after the other teams QB after they get a lead.

Godwin feels like another homerun.  Much needed depth at WR.  Explosive player for his size.  Excited to get him that late.  He torched Adoree Jackson in the Rose Bowl.

I figured the move up to the last pick in the 3rd was for Perine.  Beckwith is a monster inside LB coming off an ACL tear.  The Bucs don't have much at the position after LaVonte and Kwon so I don't mind it.  They're going to need this kind of player as all the teams in the division added RBs.

Clearly they're very happy with how Doug Martin looks.  Apparently that wasn't just for show.  Perine and Mack are still available today, but I doubt they make it to the Bucs in the 5th now. 

I'm pretty happy. Hesitant about the safety, but he has to be an upgrade over what we have without conte now. Still, his negatives are worrisome. I don't like to read "doesn't tackle well" from a safety. 

Love Godwin as third wideout in case Evans or Djax needs time off. Hopefully we won't ever be going back to seeking Jameis through to solemn DII players who shouldn't be on the field with him.  

The linebacker is exciting to me, because they have been rotating that SAM position for years and now they may finally have a long-term starter there. This kid can wrap up and is good in small space -- he'll always be off the field in passing downs so it's all good there. 

Power Ranking of all 32 NFL offenses

2017 Offensive Coordinator: Todd Monken

Ranking the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at seven leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but the six teams ahead of them are understandable.

This team was a contender to go No. 1, but it has a lot of new faces, and the consistency of the other teams above them here needs to be praised.

Nevertheless, the Bucs offense is absolutely mouth-watering.

Just wow.

While quarterback Jameis Winston has some issues with accuracy, finishing 25th in the league in 2016, he's obviously still a quarterback teams would be comfortable with moving forward.

Where this offense really looks incredible is the pass-catchers: Wide receivers Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Adam Humphries and newcomer Chris Godwin are joined by tight ends Cameron Brate and first-round draft pick O.J. Howard.

Evans alone is intimidating enough, but adding in Jackson, Brate, Godwin—who can run any route in the game—and Howard?

What an incredible young offense.

There are two main concerns, though. The offensive line was among the worst in the league on PFF in 2016 and hasn't exactly changed since then, and the running game is perhaps the most mysterious inside the top seven.

Running back Doug Martin is suspended for the first four games of the upcoming season. We've seen Martin be a stud in the past, and if he can regain that image this season, we'll talk about No. 1 again.

However, we're dealing with a group of guys consisting of Jacquizz Rodgers, Charles Sims, and new guy Jeremy McNichols. Rodgers was fine when asked to play in 2016, but he isn't your prototypical 25-carry-a-game back.

Users who are viewing this thread