What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Wallace could he leave if Pitt doesn't step up? (1 Viewer)

jacobo_moses

Footballguy
I just read this in a Q&A with someone in with Steelers Intel. Thought it was interesting. But I didn't even think about it. If the Steelers don't Franchise Tag Wallace I could see the Patriots or the Browns making a play for him like is suggested in this article. Steelers Front Office better step up if they don't want to lose their Pro Bowl Caliber WR.

McIntyre: On Mike Wallace, the elimination of the "First and Third Round" restricted free agent tender in the new collective bargaining agreement could make it more enticing for other teams to extend offer sheets to Pro Bowl-caliber RFAs like Wallace, who could be viewed as worthy a first round pick to a team seeking a deep threat at receiver. To avoid losing him to a deep-pocketed team with a need at receiver (Cleveland and New England have needs at receiver and have additional first-round picks this year), the Steelers may have no choice but to increase security around him by increasing the compensation for signing him to two first-round picks on the franchise tag. It's considerably more expensive, both in terms of cash and cap dollars, but it's unrealistic for the Steelers to think they're going to have Mike Wallace playing for a non-guaranteed RFA tender worth $2.7 million this season. Wallace is either going to be franchised or sign a long-term contract. It's up to Pittsburgh to decide if it's with them or a division/conference rival.

This is the link

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/16/2802010/steelers-free-agency-mike-wallace-franchise-tag

Last edited by a moderator:
How he steelers cap situation? Can they afford Wallace?
they can't even afford the franchise tag dollars. They can't afford to keep him. They'll tender him a 1st just to save face.Losing him and waiving Ward and Cotchery, I'm rolling the dice on Derrick Williams, who becomes the #3 by default. I think he'll get the chance on keeping the gig and maybe even challenge Sanders.

they can't even afford the franchise tag dollars. They can't afford to keep him. They'll tender him a 1st just to save face.Losing him and waiving Ward and Cotchery, I'm rolling the dice on Derrick Williams, who becomes the #3 by default. I think he'll get the chance on keeping the gig and maybe even challenge Sanders.
Hoodie better get this done. NE has a pair of late 1st rounders and they have cap space too.

Hoodie better get this done. NE has a pair of late 1st rounders and they have cap space too.
No way NE does this, the hoodie would rather trade down, he's a genius after all

No way NE does this, the hoodie would rather trade down, he's a genius after all
Not so much on the genius thing. It's a great opportunity and creates a MASSIVE gap in opposing defenses. It's not a reckless move as they have picks & cap space.

Steelers can't afford him as they are currently structured. You have to ask yourself, why wouldn't a team (NE, Bal) with a mid to low 1st rounder and cap space sign him to a contract that requires a balloon payment on the front, say $25 million due at signing? The Steelers would lose him and get that mid to low 1st if they don't match.

BTW, Emmanual Sanders becomes a very intriguing player in this situation.

Steelers can't afford him as they are currently structured. You have to ask yourself, why wouldn't a team (NE, Bal) with a mid to low 1st rounder and cap space sign him to a contract that requires a balloon payment on the front, say $25 million due at signing? The Steelers would lose him and get that mid to low 1st if they don't match.BTW, Emmanual Sanders becomes a very intriguing player in this situation.
I don't think it matters how much of a signing bonus you give as I think it's prorated over the life of the contract. And poison pills are no longer allowed either. I think any reasonably good offer will knock PIT out of contention.

And Hoodie would probably love to take Wallace away from one of the toughest competitors in the league. Why wouldn't he want him???

seems like a deep free agent wr class. you really think a team will give up a 1st and a big contract vs just signing a free agent and not having to give up the pick?

seems like a deep free agent wr class. you really think a team will give up a 1st and a big contract vs just signing a free agent and not having to give up the pick?
Will you still feel that way if V Jax and Bowe are both franchised?
List of fa wr's if we remove Bowe/VJax:Wes WelkerMarques ColstonDeSean JacksonBrandon LloydSteve JohnsonMario ManninghamReggie WaynePlaxico BurressRobert MeachemPierre GarconSteve SmithSo yes, I'll still feel that's a great class.

Steelers can't afford him as they are currently structured. You have to ask yourself, why wouldn't a team (NE, Bal) with a mid to low 1st rounder and cap space sign him to a contract that requires a balloon payment on the front, say $25 million due at signing? The Steelers would lose him and get that mid to low 1st if they don't match.BTW, Emmanual Sanders becomes a very intriguing player in this situation.
I don't think it matters how much of a signing bonus you give as I think it's prorated over the life of the contract. And poison pills are no longer allowed either. I think any reasonably good offer will knock PIT out of contention.
According to Adam Schefter, any signing bonus would fully apply to the cap this year. He gave the example that a $20 million signing bonus would make it nearly impossible for the Steelers to match without major cuts and changes to contracts. He said Pats, Bengals, and Ravens are front runners.

List of fa wr's if we remove Bowe/VJax:Wes Welker

Marques Colston

DeSean Jackson

Brandon Lloyd

Steve Johnson

Mario Manningham

Reggie Wayne

Plaxico Burress

Robert Meachem

Pierre Garcon

Steve Smith

So yes, I'll still feel that's a great class.
It's been stated that Welker and D. Jackson will both get slapped with the franchise tag as well, and Johnson is expected to reach a long term contract with Buffalo before he hits free agency - in that case we're still looking at some decent options but nothing all that spectacular.

According to Adam Schefter, any signing bonus would fully apply to the cap this year. He gave the example that a $20 million signing bonus would make it nearly impossible for the Steelers to match without major cuts and changes to contracts. He said Pats, Bengals, and Ravens are front runners.
Interesting. Thanks.

If I were Wallace I would go someplace that could replicate the climate and horrible turf that he was used to in Pittsburgh......say, Soldier Field for example.

Fixed that.

so in terms of fantasy what are the best spot(s) for Wallace. i have to think theres not many better places than where hes at right now. Ben throws a nice deep ball and makes time for him to get deep. Hes also the #1 option in a pass heavy offense. Patriots ounds like a good destination but im not so sure. Bradys deep ball is suspect imo and there are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense. Hed probably be 4th on the team in targets at years end. Thoughts?

Why give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace when you can sign DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston instead?

NE values Welker and they like to collect draft picks. Seems really hard to see them pay Wallace what it takes to land him, franchise Welker, and lose a #1 pick. Don't see it happening.

Why give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace when you can sign DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston instead?
Assuming most of these players are re-signed of get the franchise tag, I wonder if it would be a good move by the 49ers. They have the cap space, a late draft pick and they need a quality wide receiver.

Assuming most of these players are re-signed of get the franchise tag, I wonder if it would be a good move by the 49ers. They have the cap space, a late draft pick and they need a quality wide receiver.
Adam Schefter has reported SF will pursue one fa wr and spend one of their "top draft picks" on another wr.

This.As a Steeler fan I would happily accept another first and the cap space to sign a more complimentary WR to go with Brown and Sanders. Marques Colston would be a great fit at a more palatable price tag.Wallace speed can't be replicated, but there are far more complete WR's available that don't cost a team the pick.

Would love to see the Bucs trade up to the late 1st with their early 2nd (they have another 2nd).....then offer that for Wallace....and still keep the 5th overall pick.

'treat88 said:
'Frenchy Fuqua said:
This.As a Steeler fan I would happily accept another first and the cap space to sign a more complimentary WR to go with Brown and Sanders. Marques Colston would be a great fit at a more palatable price tag.Wallace speed can't be replicated, but there are far more complete WR's available that don't cost a team the pick.
Hmm, not so much. First off, PIT's investment in Wallace (right now) is not sandbagging their cap. Tagging takes a lot of those WRs off the market. Next, you'd have to invest much more than a 1 year tender for Wallace, which PIT does not have he ability to do his off-season. A late round 1st in return is a hit and miss (at best) and the other team gets an established top 5 WR in his prime. As posted before, PIT will face the same thing next off season with Antonio Brown.

Would love to see the Bucs trade up to the late 1st with their early 2nd (they have another 2nd).....then offer that for Wallace....and still keep the 5th overall pick.
I could be wrong but I believe the highest 1st round pick would have to be part of the compensation.

I could be wrong but I believe the highest 1st round pick would have to be part of the compensation.
Correct. Team's original pick serves as compensation, not picks acquired in trades.

Correct. Team's original pick serves as compensation, not picks acquired in trades.
:kicksrock: Then nevermind....he's not worth the 5th overall.

'Dr. Awesome said:
'matttyl said:
'fruity pebbles said:
List of fa wr's if we remove Bowe/VJax:Wes WelkerMarques ColstonDeSean JacksonBrandon LloydSteve JohnsonMario ManninghamReggie WaynePlaxico BurressRobert MeachemPierre GarconSteve SmithSo yes, I'll still feel that's a great class.
Most of these guys aren't really going to be available. Franchise tags and guys that want to stay home and get a deal done with their original team are going to dominate this list. 3 or 4 of these guys will actually be available when real FA starts. I think you know this though, don't you?

:kicksrock: Then nevermind....he's not worth the 5th overall.
Yep. Cleveland is out because of this as well.Cincy needs to sign him if Pittsburgh only uses a restricted tender. They can afford it, both with their cap space and their extra pick. There aren't many opportunities to help yourself in free agency and at the same time, hurt your divisional opponent. Pittsburgh can't afford to use the franchise tag so we should get to see at least the possibility of this happening. This is a lot better than under the old CBA when they could tender him for a 1st and 3rd. I'm glad they got rid of that.

Why fill one of your team's biggest needs when you can use that first round pick to acquire countless mid-round picks.

Why fill one of your team's biggest needs when you can use that first round pick to acquire countless mid-round picks.
Tough for me to envision BB tagging Welker, paying Wallace, and giving up a 1st even if it is #31. That's the bulk of the $25 mil ish cap space they've got spent on 2 players who don't play on the side of the ball they really need the help.

Tough for me to envision BB tagging Welker, paying Wallace, and giving up a 1st even if it is #31. That's the bulk of the $25 mil ish cap space they've got spent on 2 players who don't play on the side of the ball they really need the help.
Right on. Although a shiny hood ornament is nice to buy for the sports car, you don't do that when the brakes don't work. What does this do for them? Help them outscore their opponents even more?? Although I would HATE to see Wallace go to the Pats, I would enjoy it on some level to watch the Pats overstock on their strength and ignore the primary reason for their ultimate demise. It would make the Steelers weaker but the gain would not make the Pats much stronger really. (on the flip side, watching them grab Mario Williams - if that is even possible - would scare me)

True...but their lack of talent on the outside has shown up against good defenses. One thing that gets over stated is a team's salary cap. The NFL salary cap is a joke. If they REALLY want to spend the money, the cap numbers can be manipulated. I agree with your first statement 100% though. Other than some top talent, this team is made up of 5th-7th round draft picks (11) and un-drafted free agents (18). The lack of talent on this team is a shot against BB the personnel F-up...but a gold star for BB the coach.

I could see Baltimore going after Wallace. Adding the deep threat they need and taking a player away from your biggest division rival would be worth the late 1st round pick IMO.

I think the Steelers are very willing to let high priced players walk and take a 1st round pick in return.

That said, Wallace isnt going anywhere.

Why? They are currently sitting at 124.2 million with an estimated 124 million dollar cap (via restructures and cuts, see the Steeler thread).

They still have a host of potential cuts to make that would free up lots of space... and Harrison and BigBen have both stated they will restructure if needed.

6. NT Casey Hampton ($8.1 mil)

10. Chris Kemoeatu ($5.3 mil)

11. WR Hines Ward ($4.6 mil)

14. LB James Farrior ($3.8 mil)

15. LB Larry Foote ($3.6 mil)

16. T Jonathan Scott ($2.7 mil)

I seriously doubt any of these players will be kept if it precludes them from keeping Wallace.

Its as simple as releasing Hines Ward and signing a contract with Wallace that pays 4 million in year 1.

Wanted to add, that poison pills were also removed from being in contracts with the new C.B.A.
You think Wallace will only get a 4M offer on the market?
I didnt say that, lol.I said they can re-sign him with that as the year #1 amount. Though not likely.We are talking about a 4 year 40 million dollar contract, in total, however.Or they could do 8 million by letting Ward and Foote walk.Or 8 million with just letting Hampton go. Or 12 million with Hampton and Foote.*Pretty much Kemoeatu covers the entire rookie crop.

Let Welker hit the road?

Wanted to add, that poison pills were also removed from being in contracts with the new C.B.A.
He means 4M in cap space the first year. It'll be tough to do though with the way contracts are required to be structured now.
Looking more at the 4m from Ward and the Roeth+Harrison restructures, which I think is the reason that Ben and James offered to restructure.

He means 4M in cap space the first year. It'll be tough to do though with the way contracts are required to be structured now.
Looking more at the 4m from Ward and the Roeth+Harrison restructures, which I think is the reason that Ben and James offered to restructure.
Aren't they still $11 million over cap even after Roth and Harrison restructured?

Aren't they still $11 million over cap even after Roth and Harrison restructured?
Neither of them have restructured yet, but yes, they are still well over the cap.

Let Welker hit the road?
interesting . . .

Neither of them have restructured yet, but yes, they are still well over the cap.
It was Woodley and Timmons I was thinking of.

Users who are viewing this thread