Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mad Cow

***OFFICIAL*** Mass Effect 3 Thread

1,030 posts in this topic

Interesting that you cannot purchase the Day One DLC for PC unless you got the Collector's Edition, at least for now. Bioware is moving up the doosh-bag-o-meter. Pity since I have loved them as a dev team.

The website says you should be able to buy it day 1. Supposedly the only advantage with the collector's edition was that the DLC was free. I'll have to investigate on the Xbox a little later.
Update: I had no problem purchasing it.

Im kicking myself now for not rushing the shipping from amazon. It hasnt even shipped yet.

Im kicking myself now for not rushing the shipping from amazon. It hasnt even shipped yet.

Go buy it from Best Buy or wherever and then when the one from Amazon arrives return that one to the store.

<BR>People who have started ME3 . . . did they get rid of the mining for minerals stuff, or make it quicker??<BR>

<BR><BR><BR>I want to know this as well..... <BR><BR>Edit: Specificaly the mining. I like Element zero like the next guy, but that was stupid. Edited by The Ref

<BR>People who have started ME3 . . . did they get rid of the mining for minerals stuff, or make it quicker??<BR>

<BR><BR><BR>I want to know this as well..... <BR><BR>Edit: Specificaly the mining. I like Element zero like the next guy, but that was stupid.
I've only just started, but it seems like they got rid of this. Instead, when your ship is flying around a system, you can send out a little radar-like thing that detects interesting stuff on planets. Then you go into orbit on that planet, send down a probe, and collect whatever it was that you detected. This is way less tedious than mineral mining. (Note: If you use your radar too much, a Reaper vessel will show up and run you off, so you have to go easy on it). Maybe mineral mining shows up later. I hope not. This is much better.

<BR><BR><BR>I want to know this as well..... <BR><BR>Edit: Specificaly the mining. I like Element zero like the next guy, but that was stupid.
I've only just started, but it seems like they got rid of this. Instead, when your ship is flying around a system, you can send out a little radar-like thing that detects interesting stuff on planets. Then you go into orbit on that planet, send down a probe, and collect whatever it was that you detected. This is way less tedious than mineral mining. (Note: If you use your radar too much, a Reaper vessel will show up and run you off, so you have to go easy on it).

Maybe mineral mining shows up later. I hope not. This is much better.

The :nerd: in me thinks that sounds really cool. :bag:

So far my only gripe is:

that I'm dicking around the Citadel running errands for #######s while Earth is burning. Kind of a small discrepency in the script here. If you wanted Sheppard to be everyone's errand boy again, maybe not show Earth being overrun in the first scene of the game.

Really ruins the realism for me. But still I'm loving that I have a new Mass Effect to play with.

So far my only gripe is:

that I'm dicking around the Citadel running errands for #######s while Earth is burning. Kind of a small discrepency in the script here. If you wanted Sheppard to be everyone's errand boy again, maybe not show Earth being overrun in the first scene of the game.

Really ruins the realism for me. But still I'm loving that I have a new Mass Effect to play with.

Agreed, but still :excited: X 1000 after the opening sequence.

OK someone with PC - how the heck do you buy the DLC? I have enough Bioware points, but when I click on the downloadable content button, the screen doesn't change. Am I missing something obvious here? :wall:

Well, Origin wanted to update, so I updated that, and now the DLC shows up. Oh well.

So far my only gripe is:

This is prettymuch every RPG to date, though.

I'm the chosen one / dragonborn / child of the gods, and the world is depending on me. But first, let me find this dude's watch.

Darn this thing called work that is not letting me play right now. :wall: Just got to the citadel, as I like to go slowly and take it all in.

So far my only gripe is:

This is prettymuch every RPG to date, though.

I'm the chosen one / dragonborn / child of the gods, and the world is depending on me. But first, let me find this dude's watch.

It just seems a little more apparent in ME3. The first 2 you feel like you're slowly solving a mystery as it unravels. Along the way you see the growing threat coming to a crisis point that you have to hurry to stop before it destroys everything. Well in ME3:

They slap you in the face right away that the Earth is f'd without you getting every other species' help. Right now to me it looks like Earth is going to be destroyed because how can he just be wandering about, doing these ticky tack things all calm and composed while there are hundreds of Reapers ripping it apart? Literally hundreds of reapers. The first game had 1 reaper. The 2nd had like 2 or 3 (can't remember). Now they're all on Earth and they are tearing #### up. How could he possibly come back to anything but a barren rock with all the time he's taking?

Edited by Insein

One thing I've noticed about ME3, is that there sure are a lot of gay people on my crew. :mellow:

One thing I've noticed about ME3, is that there sure are a lot of gay people on my crew. :mellow:

Great, who now? It seems to me that after DA2 and this, maybe they should change their company name to HomoWare.

Great, who now? It seems to me that after DA2 and this, maybe they should change their company name to HomoWare.

Annoying dark British chick that gives you messages and the dark guy in the Armory that doesn't seem to have a purpose.

Yeah, I went down to the armory last night, and I think that's the last time I'll be venturing down there. Way too much homoerotic tension between James and the mexican guy. You'd think they could at least decorate the place a little.

Yeah, I went down to the armory last night, and I think that's the last time I'll be venturing down there. Way too much homoerotic tension between James and the mexican guy. You'd think they could at least decorate the place a little.

It's one of those things where, at the time... I didn't know... and once I found out... and thought about previous conversations... yeah I think I'm avoiding the Armory now too.

It's one of those things where, at the time... I didn't know... and once I found out... and thought about previous conversations... yeah I think I'm avoiding the Armory now too.
Man. Why do they gotta do that ####? Don't they realize that 95% of their target audience are heterosexual males.

Man. Why do they gotta do that ####? Don't they realize that 95% 99.98% of their target audience are heterosexual males.

Man. Why do they gotta do that ####? Don't they realize that 95% 99.98% of their target audience are heterosexual males.
I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt in case there were some gay dudes out there that played the game. Certainly 99.98% is male. Thats a given.

Overall the feel of this game is amazing. I only played a couple of hours today but find myself jonesing to play again, much like when you cannot wait for the next episode in a favorite tv show.

So far my only gripe is:

I think they do as good of a job as they can explaining this in game. To their credit, they don't shy away from the urgency issue. And while the Reapers themselves are generally invincible and are destroying all the major cities/defenses, the various species appear capable of defending themselves from the Reapers' ground troops, so it makes some sense that Sheppard has a little time to get some resources together before whole populations are completely eradicated.

So far my only gripe is:

I think they do as good of a job as they can explaining this in game. To their credit, they don't shy away from the urgency issue. And while the Reapers themselves are generally invincible and are destroying all the major cities/defenses, the various species appear capable of defending themselves from the Reapers' ground troops, so it makes some sense that Sheppard has a little time to get some resources together before whole populations are completely eradicated.

It's what I'm gathering the further along I get. Still, I feel as frustrated as James with it sometimes.

So far my only gripe is:

Meh, it's a video game. It gets a huge pass on this sort of stuff regardless. And like jwb pointed out, every other RPG in the history of mankind has you doing laid-back sidequests when the main story implies that you ought to be working feverishly to save the kingdom/country/planet/galaxy/universe. That just comes with the genre.Also, do we really need spoiler tags when we're discussing the fact that the Reapers are attacked? Or that you visit the Citadel? This is stuff that happens in the first 30 minutes of the game.

So far my only gripe is:

Meh, it's a video game. It gets a huge pass on this sort of stuff regardless. And like jwb pointed out, every other RPG in the history of mankind has you doing laid-back sidequests when the main story implies that you ought to be working feverishly to save the kingdom/country/planet/galaxy/universe. That just comes with the genre.Also, do we really need spoiler tags when we're discussing the fact that the Reapers are attacked? Or that you visit the Citadel? This is stuff that happens in the first 30 minutes of the game.Agree to a point, but as insein pointed out, the main plot strikes a little closer to home in this game than the typical game - I think it's understandable that gamers are more interested in urgently saving earth than they are in uniting a war torn Skyrim, for example. And in a plot driven game it's always nice when the plot makes a modicum of sense.

Good to see Ashley is still cross eyed. :loco:

Honestly, I haven't made eye contact with a single female character in this game yet.

Honestly, I haven't made eye contact with a single female character in this game yet.
:lmao:Nice body...armor. Edited by Andy Dufresne

Mine finally shipped from amazon. Im not seeing my $10 coupon code though.

I also didn't expect to start off at such a high level after importing my character. It makes sense, but that wasn't originally on my radar screen. I turned the difficulty up a notch to compensate. We'll see how that goes.

I had to do the same thing. My singularity/warp biotic combination was practically letting me walk through the game.

:lmao:Nice body...armor.
Am I wrong or is Liara looking a little more top heavy now?

I also didn't expect to start off at such a high level after importing my character. It makes sense, but that wasn't originally on my radar screen. I turned the difficulty up a notch to compensate. We'll see how that goes.

I had to do the same thing. My singularity/warp biotic combination was practically letting me walk through the game.
Yeah with this new weapon weight bonus/penalty system factored in, it seems that the balance is a little bit off. Getting a 200% bonus in my ability recharge speed seems extreme. I pretty much don't even bother firing my gun anymore. My powers are always just sitting waiting to be used again.Does upping the difficulty level reduce the bonus or does it just make the enemies tougher?

Yeah with this new weapon weight bonus/penalty system factored in, it seems that the balance is a little bit off. Getting a 200% bonus in my ability recharge speed seems extreme. I pretty much don't even bother firing my gun anymore. My powers are always just sitting waiting to be used again.Does upping the difficulty level reduce the bonus or does it just make the enemies tougher?
Now that you mention it, it's probably a little bit of both.

Yeah with this new weapon weight bonus/penalty system factored in, it seems that the balance is a little bit off. Getting a 200% bonus in my ability recharge speed seems extreme. I pretty much don't even bother firing my gun anymore. My powers are always just sitting waiting to be used again.

Does upping the difficulty level reduce the bonus or does it just make the enemies tougher?

Could you explain how this works? I know it has something to do with your equipped weight, but I haven't played around with the system that much.

Could you explain how this works? I know it has something to do with your equipped weight, but I haven't played around with the system that much.

Isn't it a factor of which level up path you follow?BTW - I had to laugh when I saw the game guide the other day. The thing is over 400 pages!

Yeah with this new weapon weight bonus/penalty system factored in, it seems that the balance is a little bit off. Getting a 200% bonus in my ability recharge speed seems extreme. I pretty much don't even bother firing my gun anymore. My powers are always just sitting waiting to be used again.

Does upping the difficulty level reduce the bonus or does it just make the enemies tougher?

When you go to your gun loadout you can see the bonus/penalty you are currently receiving. As an Adept I choose to use only a pistol and a light SMG. As a result I get a 200% bonus in the speed of the recharge of my abilities.

If I switch those guns to shotguns, sniper rifles, or assault rifles then my bonus drops and can eventually turn into a penalty which would actually make my abilities charge slower than normal.

Right now I can fire off my Singularity every 3.3 seconds or something. But if I choose a big heavy gun, then that delay would become more like every 10-15 seconds. Which makes a huge difference.

However I have only played 3-4 hours so my understanding of the finer details of this process is probably a little off.

Thanks. This is really good to know. I think I should experiment with leaving my sniper rifle at home most of the time -- I don't use it very often anyway.

Scrounging around on Mars, I was able to find a scope for my hand cannon so that ended up being the best of both worlds - mobility and accuracy. :excited:

Although, I'm not sure I get the weapons upgrade/equipping functionality yet.